• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, Rich posted a letter response from today's issue of Daredevil and it sounds like the series may be ending. It talks about Samnee drawing a two-part finale and finishes with "sad I know, but all things must end, right?"

Daredevil is ending. :*(

tim1138

Guys, Rich posted a letter response from today's issue of Daredevil and it sounds like the series may be ending. It talks about Samnee drawing a two-part finale and finishes with "sad I know, but all things must end, right?"

I'm sure it will be back for All Newer Marvel Now v3.0 in the fall.

I started rereading Greg Rucka's Punisher-run a couple of days ago and yesterday while I was reading the second tpb, I realized that Rucka made a reference to a Mike Baron's Punisher-story from the 80's. I think I might be in love with Greg Rucka.

tim1138

A couple interesting takeaways from Justice League #24:

Power Ring
did not get his ring from Volthoom like some of us speculated, but an E3 verse version of Abin Sur. He is also named Hal Jordan

Deathstorm
is named Stein, which I think is the first mention of a Prof Stein at all in the N52

Grid mentions that Ultraman may need to take care of
the Doom Patrol

Tizoc

But possibly not with Waid/Samnee.

My thought as well, but for what it's worth it was a spectacular and fun run, one of Daredevil's best.
I do hope whoever will be the next writer doesn't go back to making it grim dark like previous writers did it....but knowing Marvel they'll prob. just shove ol' Hornhead into whatever major storyline they're planning.

A Matt Murdock/ Jen Walters teamup lawyer book! They can have some crazy corporation they're trying to take down with the funny crimefight stuff also. Madrox can be a P.I. for them. It'll work! I dare you Marvel!

The latest arc of Unwritten has successfully drained out all the love I had for this book. Which is kind of funny because I like Fables and started reading Unwritten when this arc was announced...

Tizoc

A Matt Murdock/ Jen Walters teamup lawyer book! They can have some crazy corporation they're trying to take down with the funny crimefight stuff also. Madrox can be a P.I. for them. It'll work! I dare you Marvel!

Oh man Madrox, Matt and Jen in the same book would be the most fun title ever.

That is a fantastic, fun idea.

When books get "cancelled" it helps if they don't replace it with the exact same thing.

A couple interesting takeaways from Justice League #24:

Power Ring
did not get his ring from Volthoom like some of us speculated, but an E3 verse version of Abin Sur. He is also named Hal Jordan

Deathstorm
is named Stein, which I think is the first mention of a Prof Stein at all in the N52

Grid mentions that Ultraman may need to take care of
the Doom Patrol

I can not wait to read this later today. I for one am really enjoying Forever evil, though I wish they kept up the story telling pace from Trinity War.

Messi

So I am just on the way back from the store and I picked up:

Velvet #1
Pretty Deadly #1
Sex Criminals #2
Rat Queens #2
Batman #23
Batman #24
Thor #12
Thor #13

Interestingly enough I was at the store at 10am and got my stuff and they had maybe 10 copies of Rat Queens. I had to go back for batman later at about 2pm and rat queens was all gone. I suppose that is a good sign.

Also fuck me Batman #24 was pricy lol. Cost me 7.99 euro.

Got velvet and pretty deadly because of you folks so I hope they are good.

I also seen the Wonder Woman bombshells statue. I need it

So I am just on the way back from the store and I picked up:

Velvet #1
Pretty Deadly #1
Sex Criminals #2
Rat Queens #2
Batman #23
Batman #24
Thor #12
Thor #13

Interestingly enough I was at the store at 10am and got my stuff and they had maybe 10 copies of Rat Queens. I had to go back for batman later at about 2pm and rat queens was all gone. I suppose that is a good sign.

Also fuck me Batman #24 was pricy lol. Cost me 7.99 euro.

Got velvet and pretty deadly because of you folks so I hope they are good.

I also seen the Wonder Woman bombshells statue. I need it

Ra-Ra-Rat Queens! Can't wait to read issue 2! Come to think of it, I think I'm more exited for this week's haul than I've been for any other this year. Velvet, Pretty Deadly and Rat Queens have me so stoked. The finale of Numbercruncher is gravy. Good thing Lazarus isn't out this week or my head may have exploded.

I hope you'll share your thoughts on Pretty Deadly and Velvet.

All good things must come to an end
:(

Mafro

Guys, what's the best stuff to read for Spider-Woman/Jessica Drew? I know she makes cameos here and there in some comics, but which of the Avengers books do you recommend?
New Avengers from the start of Brian Michael Bendis' run on the series, she's one of the main characters and there are a few arcs focused on her. You'll want to check out Secret Invasion as well when that crosses over with the series.

I also highly recommend Bendis and Maleev's Spider-Woman mini-series that takes place after Secret Invasion. It's available as a motion comic on Netflix too.

Cheska

New Avengers from the start of Brian Michael Bendis' run on the series, she's one of the main characters and there are a few arcs focused on her. You'll want to check out Secret Invasion as well when that crosses over with the series.

I also highly recommend Bendis and Maleev's Spider-Woman mini-series that takes place after Secret Invasion. It's available as a motion comic on Netflix too.

Thank you! I'll definitely look into that mini series. There are so many Avenger books by BMB lol. Is this the correct one? http://www.amazon.com/New-Avengers-Omnibus-Vol-1/dp/0785164898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382541884&sr=8-1&keywords=new+avengers+omnibus

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Black is the new science

OP is just these

Black_Science1_Cypress.jpg

BT_3anNCEAEfjXD.jpeg

kJ1CjlE.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
All-Star Western #24 took a weird fucking turn, and this is the book WHERE JONAH HEX WAS SENT TO MODERN-DAY GOTHAM BY BOOSTER FUCKING GOLD.

e: My DC-based proposition for next month was "COMICS! |OT| November 2013: No, that's the NIN album". Other submissions from me include "Everything dies (at least until All-New Marvel Now!)"; "Now featuring your daily dose of suicidal Juggalettes" and "Cassandra still off to Never-Never Land" (It's a Sandman joke)

tim1138

I can not wait to read this later today. I for one am really enjoying Forever evil, though I wish they kept up the story telling pace from Trinity War.

Yeah I really miss the weekly pace of Trinity war, we got the whole story in two months.

Oh one other thing from JL, we get the context of an early scene from Trinity War.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So, back of today's Iron Man has a confession from Gillen that he has no fucking idea what he is doing (mainly due to IM in GotG riding too many of his initial ideas) and that he shouldn't have written this piece of shit story at all. He weasels out of the ultimate retcon, only to deliver an even more cliche retcon that makes no visual sense whatsoever.

I feel like I want to write a 1 Year On from Marvel NOW thought-rant, because Marvel Comics have been severely bumming me out of late and all the creative team switcharounds other than Thor and Cap have failed massively.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Lights Out story line in the Lantern books. Red Lanterns was no exception this week. I'm officially a fan of the Reds just because of the lil evil kitty Dex-Starr!

Cheska

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Lights Out story line in the Lantern books. Red Lanterns was no exception this week. I'm officially a fan of the Reds just because of the lil evil kitty Dex-Starr!

Multiple people have said how great the series has been. I've never read a Green Lantern book in my life, but I am seriously considering picking it up.

ElNarez

Banned
So, back of today's Iron Man has a confession from Gillen that he has no fucking idea what he is doing (mainly due to IM in GotG riding too many of his initial ideas) and that he shouldn't have written this piece of shit story at all. He weasels out of the ultimate retcon, only to deliver an even more cliche retcon that makes no visual sense whatsoever.

I feel like I want to write a 1 Year On from Marvel NOW thought-rant, because Marvel Comics have been severely bumming me out of late and all the creative team switcharounds other than Thor and Cap have failed massively.

I posit this: Gillen's Iron Man run is no worse than Snyder's Batman run, and both have ended up with the exact same problem. ("Here's a MASSIVE TWIST that could change the status quo of the character forever but ACTUALLY IT'S ALL BUNK (or is it???????)") except Gillen had the courtesy of having an ending that leads somewhere.

tim1138

Huh, not sure what I think of Pretty Deadly yet other than Emma Rios' art met all expectations. I'm going to have to reread it this evening I think.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

The letter at the end of Venom felt way more like an explanation of why the writer didn't get to do what he want, resulting in a somewhat scatter-shot series. I didn't mind the twist in Iron Man.

I don't read Iron Man because Land. What's been going on that's so shitty?

Mafro

Hickman on Avengers/New Avengers and Infinity is blowing everything else away. If we're talking failures then look no further than what Bendis has done to the main X-books, thank god for Woods and Aaron. Don't even get me started on Thunderbolts, although that started it's quick decline shortly after Siege.

Regarding today's comics, the big thing revealed in the Uncanny Avengers #13 solicitations doesn't happen. No idea what's went on there, whether they just got the description wrong or a part of the actual story was changed.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The letter at the end of Venom felt way more like an explanation of why the writer didn't get to do what he want, resulting in a somewhat scatter-shot series. I didn't mind the twist in Iron Man.
With some of my favourite books just flat out ending, the ones I still do like often getting fucked by Event Tie-In quagmire (what has even been the point in Battle of the Atom, just another way to rob me of WatXM) and just other books and creative shake-ups yielding trash, it feels like Marvel NOW was by and large a huge failure.

Hawkeye's delays have taken the wind out of those sails, and while a one time gimmick is grand and fun, replaying the same events 4 times is waaaaaay too many. Uncanny Avengers is still crap too as well. If I liked Hickman, maybe his stuff would be the light in the gloom, but I don't really so thats all sludge to me too (except NA, that seems legit good still, despite getting Event-tracked a little).

We're also seemingly days away from getting some sort of ongoing Spider-Men book announcement with 616 playing host to Superior and Amazing (at some point I guess), Scarlet, 2099, Ultimate, Venom and Mania all without solo books.

I don't read Iron Man because Land. What's been going on that's so shitty?

Land left the book which is what enabled me to return, although it involved suffering a few of his issues more for back story. Gillen went back (seemingly on Editorial suggestion) and decided to fuck around with 50-year old comic origins. Super-smart alien robot makes deal with Daddy and Mummy Stark to save their dying unborn baby for a price: making him super smart to play a part in his nefarious future schemes somewhere along the lines. Then comes todays twist:
to counteract some ticking suicidal tendency timebomb element introduced to the baby, Howard Stark tries to counteract it with his own serum. Has bad side effect of rendering the baby unable to leave hospital care and unaided breathing, making him potentially useless to alien robots schemes IF HE EVER FOUND OUT. So they adopt Tony from nowhere, the perfect age, raise him and keep this other kid 'Arno' (is this... more bizarre 2099 linkage? Or wasn't it some elseworld 2020 linkage...) completely secret.

Comics ask for a whole heap of suspension of disbelief, but Tony Stark drawn next to Howard Stark for however many hundreds/thousands of issues does not even remotely sell the "adopted" concept. It shits on past stories, introduces some new crap character brother, and gives us the most cliched father issues for Tony going forward possible.

I honestly consider it the worst run in Iron Man history.

Hickman on Avengers/New Avengers and Infinity is blowing everything else away. If we're talking failures then look no further than what Bendis has done to the main X-books, thank god for Woods and Aaron. Don't even get me started on Thunderbolts, although that started it's quick decline shortly after Siege.

Regarding today's comics, the big thing revealed in the Uncanny Avengers #13 solicitations doesn't happen. No idea what's went on there, whether they just got the description wrong or a part of the actual story was changed.

As above not a huge Hickman fan but he is so much more suited to Fantastic Four he needs to shift back somehow since that book in turn went NOWHERE. NA is a Reed Richards book, and he never really does anything with the actual Avengers other than his new characters.

Also Wood's X-Men has fallen completely flat for me. Just had an incredibly ill defined purpose, and now got event'd. Only Aaron seems to know what to do with Wolverine so I wish everyone else would be forced to not fuck with the character. Crappy BotA has robbed me of yet more potentially quality WatXM :(

Also, UA#13 event did happen, someone did die, but its so ridiculously obviously temporary that it barely registers as you're reading it.

My Marvel enjoyment is almost exclusively down to Aaron and Yost at this point, with Fraction and Nick Spencer providing a little backup.

Land left the book which is what enabled me to return, although it involved suffering a few of his issues more for back story. Gillen went back (seemingly on Editorial suggestion) and decided to fuck around with 50-year old comic origins. Super-smart alien robot makes deal with Daddy and Mummy Stark to save their dying unborn baby for a price: making him super smart to play a part in his nefarious future schemes somewhere along the lines. Then comes todays twist:
to counteract some ticking suicidal tendency timebomb element introduced to the baby, Howard Stark tries to counteract it with his own serum. Has bad side effect of rendering the baby unable to leave hospital care and unaided breathing, making him potentially useless to alien robots schemes IF HE EVER FOUND OUT. So they adopt Tony from nowhere, the perfect age, raise him and keep this other kid 'Arno' (is this... more bizarre 2099 linkage? Or wasn't it some elseworld 2020 linkage...) completely secret.

Comics ask for a whole heap of suspension of disbelief, but Tony Stark drawn next to Howard Stark for however many hundreds/thousands of issues does not even remotely sell the "adopted" concept. It shits on past stories, introduces some new crap character brother, and gives us the most cliched father issues for Tony going forward possible.

I honestly consider it the worst run in Iron Man history.
Yeah, that sounds awful. I like Gillen but I could feel that that book was going to be dogshit as soon as they announced it.

I made a bunch of drops off my pull list at my LCS. Most of it was a money thing as my wife and I were talking about finances the night before.

Dropped Astro City, Hawkeye, Sheltered, Green Team, Kick Ass 3, and Pandora. I added books to replace those but I couldn't keep on picking up new ones without making some cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom