• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldren

donie, my copy of The Activity volume 1 arrived today. This is a seriously good looking book. I love the colours, and those thin panels down the side of the page establishing the location, that's a really nice touch. It kind of reminds me a little of a more realistic version The Losers, which I loved, so I have high hopes for this.

Also, this talk of Red Lanterns has convinced me more than ever that I will absolutely be picking up the New 52 Green Lantern/Corps/New Guardians/Red Lanterns trades. Especially after the creative team reshuffle, this Lights Out story sounds awesome.

Mafro

Also, UA#13 event did happen, someone did die, but its so ridiculously obviously temporary that it barely registers as you're reading it.
If it actually did happen then it wasn't very well explained as it looks like Wolverine just passed out. If he did actually die there then I'm sure Rogue would have actually given a shit rather than just taking his powers and running off to moan at Wanda again (yawn). It also had nothing to do with Sentry despite what the solicitation said, and the Grim Reaper didn't appear in this issue at all. They fucked up somewhere.

Also, sounds like I need to read today's Iron Man to see how bad it is. I dropped that series after three issues as I found it really boring.

Acid08

Banned
More subtle than the usual T&A shots
jvpqb-357x550.jpg
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh man. Not only is that cover awful but the series was one of the worst of the Nu52.

donie, my copy of The Activity volume 1 arrived today. This is a seriously good looking book. I love the colours, and those thin panels down the side of the page establishing the location, that's a really nice touch. It kind of reminds me a little of a more realistic version The Losers, which I loved, so I have high hopes for this.

It's something else right? The book is seriously good, it deserves so much more attention. The NSA is culturally relevant too right now, if they could get it in the right places, I bet they could really tap a different fan than your usual comic reader. I can just imagine how their Punisher will be. Let me know what you think once you've read it! It is a little jargon-y so it takes an issue to get down with how everyone talks and who is who if you're not familiar with some of the military outfits and codenames etc., but there is a glossary at the back.

THAT TOBY DAMN CYPRESS COVER HOLY HIT

Never read anything drawn by Cypress but that cover, he seems prime for some BPRD work.

Also yay, batman month for me climbs towards the apex, have Arkham Origins fully preloaded for friday.

I don't understand how this Iron Man run got approved or even conceived. Completely awful in every facet. It pisses me off when people like this make a mockery of comics and don't respect how lucky they are to be in that position. Somebody please let me in.....:(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
MARVEL NOW THEN, NOW THEN

All-New X-Men - While a neat brief interlude concept with the originals drifting in, another Bendis book but now fucking with all of the X-Men has been as legit bad as I feared. Keeping Young Jean Grey and Young Cyclops et al around for romantic pair ups is just not what I want from X-books when they'd just found their feet again post-Schism. Battle of the Atom has been 9 issues of stupid random future X-Men fanon fighting. Also Bendis assassination of Kitty as still some clueless hothead when WatXM had her as a damn good adult headmistress is disappointing. Her getting "attached" to the original five makes no sense at all.

Avengers - isn't an Avengers book. Its some high-sci-fi stuff happening that Hickman wants to write but with occasional appearances from Cap, Iron Man and Thor.

Avengers Arena - an enjoyable ride, if a little schlocky. Now we're close to the end, I fear retcons coming thick and fast.

Cable and X-Force - Larroca art made it a no-pick up, but I saw it had a cool artist on a flick through the other week. Temporary or whatever, its a long stretch to care for this set of characters in off-shoot adventures.

Uncanny X-Force - pretty bad. Art fluctuates between stylised and awful, and book doesnt seemingly have much of a purpose. Why there can be two X-Forces has never been explained.

X-Men - also lacking severe purpose, and sharing the same space as UXF as Team X-Women, but this time without Puck. An endearing Logan and Jubilee issue made me glad someone else can write Wolverine not as the most retarded character living, but then it got BotA event'd. Needs to prove itself bigtime.

Captain America - Great first arc, if it ended a little with typical Remender schlock tactics. Not sure how its going to hold up outside of Dimension Z. At many times it doesnt feel like Remender writing which is a good thing.

FF - sorry dudes, Allred has never been my jam. This book has never worked well in my eyes due to the occasionally great comic moments juxtaposed over a grieving father out for revenge for his disintegrated dead daughter. Book only ever lived and died as Hickman spillover in the past anyway.

Fantastic Four - Went nowhere, now the team switches up.

Fearless Defenders - Kept meaning to pick this up, kept forgetting, now dead. Blood on my hands.

Guardians of the Galaxy - more Bendis why. Somehow allowed to completely ignore all of Hickman's cosmic goings on, now with unnecessary Iron Man inclusion.

Indestructible Hulk - Started strong! Went nowhere. Bye.

Iron Man - The shittest run on Iron Man since Teen Tony. An achievement in assetry.

Morbius: The Living Vampire - lel

New Avengers - aka, Reed Richards and Black Panther continue Hickman's F4 run. Good stuff, but needs to go somewhere soon, although its been event'd.

Nova - lul

Avengers AI: Age of Ultron was not good. This didn't look good. No.

Secret Avengers - think I gave this an issue or two before forgetting it existed post Remender run.

The Superior Spider-Man - Slott schlock. Only Stegman art keeps me coming back, and thankfully the end is in sight.

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up: Yost does a Superior job of selling the character at all angles, but obviously stuck with total offshoot stories. Yost deserves the full Spidey run.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man: oddly heartwarming stuff that feels like the villainous counterpoint to Fraction's Hawkeye.

Thor: God of Thunder: Jason Aaron, I would make love-words with thee.

Thunderbolts: I remember some horrible art and Cuba and some shit. We out.

Uncanny Avengers: Droning crap. Just constant narration of how big the stakes are with barely anything happening between issues. Amateurish TEAM FRICTION and ROMANCE is also eye-rolly. Deaths and undeaths aplenty. Remender tropes unchained. Wolverine will be worfed and injected with some super-techno cancer every other issue.

Uncanny X-Men: Bendis worst X-book yet. A terrible team of new mutants, Bachalo's most phoned in art of all time, just no purpose at all.

Wolverine and the X-Men: Please Jason, make some mephisto-pact to never get event'd again so I can actually get the comic you want to tell of the new gen of X-Men students and a Wolverine thats worth a damn.

Young Avengers: didn't give it long before I bailed. Gillens lost it big time.

Scarlet Spider: dead :( The best Spider-book.

Venom: dead. Had trouble post-Remender, hit a good groove recently, but deaded.

Hawkeye: Feels like its really squandered its momentum a bit too much. Retelling the same events 4-times was way too many.

Ultimate Spider-Man: even though his entire universe WILL die, we'll never be free of Bendis terrible cowardly Gary Stu of a Spider-Man. VENOM STING, the end.

Going forward, I'm not sold on the whole Inhumans thing (so like more mutants but not, great), New Warriors has the touch of death to it already with Nova and ragtag group despite it being Kaine Parkers new poor-fit home, and we'll see how that Invaders book shakes out.

Since we're on the subject of Marvel NOW! and disappointments, I'm turning in my Previews order later today, and 'All-New X-Men' and 'Uncanny X-Men' are joining 'Indestructible Hulk' on my list of drops. BotA was kind of the last gasp for those books to stay on my list, but it hasn't worked; with Marvel adding a second Aaron book next month I signed up for that one, and pulled the trigger on canceling those two. 'All-New''s biggest problem for me, aside from coasting along on "guest" appearances and crossovers after a strong first showing, is that the main cast hasn't really been all that interesting or even substantive yet -- except for Jean. And that in itself is a problem, because quite frankly she's become one rather unlikeable little girl. 'Uncanny' suffers from the same problem: I don't care about ANY of the new mutants Cyclops has recruited. Bendis is trying to promote Cyclops as this "Che Guevara of Homo Superior" figure, but I just don't see it. He makes symbols and talks revolutionary talk and embarrasses S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers and the other X-Men, but at the end of the day he's surrounded by nobodies and broken has-beens and riding some kind of high horse. It's really kind of sad, and I think if the book were about THAT -- the downward spiral of a man coming to terms with his actions and his irrelevance -- then I think it'd be worth reading. But Bendis doesn't look to be pushing that, so Cyclops as the cool, alternative, counter-culture rebel isn't doing anything for me.

Lunch is almost over, but Indestructible... short and sweet: interesting premise, dull execution and equally dull art. Should be bold and beautiful, instead is rather drab.

Lunch is almost over, but Indestructible... short and sweet: interesting premise, dull execution and equally dull art. Should be bold and beautiful, instead is rather drab.

OH wow, the art thing really? I saw some of the previews with Scalera and it was one of the few marvel now books I thought looked kind of cool. I was kind of considering giving this one a go when I finally get to checking out Thor too.

Scarela, that dude. Black Science, hulk, dead body road, guy is really leaving an impression on me every time I see his work.

ElNarez

Banned
MARVEL NOW THEN, NOW THEN

And the deliberations are done, here's the Objective Review of that post: Wrong; Wrong; Wrong; Wrong; Kinda Right But Also Kinda Wrong; Wrong; Right-ish; The Wrongest Opinion Ever; Somewhat Wrong; Eh; Wrong; Wrong; Hella Wrong; Right; Wrong-ish; Wrong; Yeah, sure; Kinda wrong because it's Bad Spencer; Right; Also Right Somehow; Three In A Row Dang Son Keep It Up; Heck Yeah You're Doing It Let's Make That Five; It Got Better Under Soule But This Guy Writes Eleventy Billion Mad Decent Books No One Seems To Read And It's A Fucking Disgrace; Right, But Wrong About The Cause; As Much As I'd Like To Say Right The Book Didn't Wait Until BotA To Be Kinda Underwhelming, so Wrong; Fuck You; Right; Kinda Right Even Though This Run Brought Us The Venom-Mobile; Wrong, bro; Super Wrong

THIS IS OBJECTIVE FACT AND IT SHALL NOT BE DEBATED, ONLY SOMEWHAT CLARIFIED

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Good choice. Cut out the X-Bendis cancer. I will say I am mad-hype for Amazing X-Men! Aaron should be given free-reign on what happens in all X-books and calls the shots, but editorial will always favour big talentless names like Bendis instead, and so I lose the book I want to read for at least a 1/3 of the year to crossover crap.

Mafro

Guardians of the Galaxy - more Bendis why. Somehow allowed to completely ignore all of Hickman's cosmic goings on, now with unnecessary Iron Man inclusion.
Plus how in typical Bendis fashion he has almost completely ignored anything to do with the previous (utterly brilliant) run.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
nvm, not worth it

Just finished Pretty Deadly and I feel like the team is hoping for a Saga-like following. Rios did some fantastic character designs, had some Vampire Hunter D vibes. Looking forward to rest of the arc.

Ah, hell, why not.

All-New X-Men - Bendis is back to Heroic Age Avengers levels now that he's finally writing about SOMETHING instead of just Avengers v. Who Cares. Immonen continues to be jaw dropping.

Avengers - I keep wanting to say I'm slightly underwhelmed and then I remember he created a whole character from the "Moo." page in New X-Men and thus, it's infallible and the greatest run in the history of comics.

Avengers Arena - LOST: Marvel Universe, aka the greatest run in the history of comics.

Cable and X-Force - Christ do I keep wanting to drop this book, but Hopeless and Forge and Boom Boom keep me coming back.

Uncanny X-Force - See above, but replace characs with Perez and Alphona, the two greatest artists in the history of comics.

X-Men - Pretty much agree. Flat, great art and characs.

Captain America - The best. Miss u Dean White.

FF - Dropped. Can't never stand the "Writer You Like Is Now Kind Of Just Showrunner" switcheroo bullshit.

Fantastic Four - See above.

Fearless Defenders - Kept wanting to get into this, kept running into a big wall of Sliney.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Gorgeous and tolerable.

Indestructible Hulk - Still into it.

Iron Man - Still somehow interested.

New Avengers - Doesn't have the New X-Men resets of Avengers, makes up for it with being super connected to Avengers.

Nova - Gorgeous and tolerable.

Avengers AI - Phenomenal. Akira: Marvel Universe edish.

Secret Avengers - Nope. Will hop on next wave.

The Superior Spider-Man - Great, fun, but am the only person on Earth who doesn't like Stegman.

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up - Really dug the two Rodi Infinity tie-ins, am sticking around for the Yost.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man - Dropped. Also-ran Wannahawkeye shenanns, thanks, I'll stick with the original brand.

Thor: God of Thunder - Sublime. Please ink Garney tho.

Thunderbolts - Will return when new artist arrives, k thx bye

Uncanny Avengers - Great, but man, that was the perfect description of what Remender does to Wolverine every time.

Uncanny X-Men - Love the new mutants, love that most of them are actually older than Magik. What is that new machine controlly guy, like 30-something? Amazing. More.

Wolverine and the X-Men - Still the best in the biz.

Young Avengers - You know, great.

Venom - Bailed after Shavley left. Sorry.

Hawkeye - Last issue cemented it as greatest of all time. Beach scene was straight up George Saunders level contemporary literature. No other comic, Marvel, DC, Fantagraphics, Anything, is playing on the same level as this book. Full stop.

My addish:
Deadpool - Picking up after Uncanny X-ies, a legitimately serious Deadpool book, from these dudes, who would have ever guessed it?

Mighty Avengers - Ewing so godly even Land can't drop this ball.

frye

Dinosaur sigs are the bomb. See also: Walter "Walt" Simonson

Marvel has like 5-6 books I dig which I feel is pretty solid. Even beyond those though - a lot of their shit is at least competently done for what it is.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Need some recommendations!

I'm pretty new to comics still, in the last month I've read Hawkeye, Saga, The Matrix Comics and Alan Moore's run of The saga of the swamp thing. I've read most of the big pop culture touchstones like watchman, scott pilgrim, etc. Saga is definitely my favorite series. How is Ythe last man?

Eldren

It's something else right? The book is seriously good, it deserves so much more attention. The NSA is culturally relevant too right now, if they could get it in the right places, I bet they could really tap a different fan than your usual comic reader. I can just imagine how their Punisher will be. Let me know what you think once you've read it! It is a little jargon-y so it takes an issue to get down with how everyone talks and who is who if you're not familiar with some of the military outfits and codenames etc., but there is a glossary at the back.

I had a little skim and I really liked the tone, although I'm sure I'll be relying on that glossary haha. And yeah, I'm really curious how their Punisher turns out after seeing it! I've got the second volume on the way too so I'll read them both (eventually) and get back to you.

-----

You guys have convinced me to check out Avengers Arena and reconsider Wolverine & The X-Men (I've always been on the fence for some reason but you've swayed me.)

VeeP

So I gotta wonder, isn't the Phoenix basically an unstoppable force? And Quentin Quire an omega-level mutant? So why isn't he just wrecking the brotherhood in Battle of the Atom? He should be able to solo everyone, no?

Avengers- Slow but has picked up with Infinity
NA- Great book but budget wouldn't have it
UA- Remender continuing his UXF saga but with Avengers
AA-utter disgusting shit, breaks every rule of professional writing, lives by shock value
UXF- Horrible
CaXF-Good but designs are horrendous
Bendis XM- Bendis doing his same shit again.
GotG- see above
Scarlet- Awesome.
Superior Spidey- Rise and fall of Spock beautiful
YA- great fun ride
WaTXM- started off good but got bogged down by events and Bendis X books
Mighty Avengers- Land can't stop Ewing

Those are the ones I have read/tried to read.

Pie and Beans

I can't and won't support Land any more. So enjoy your Mighty Avengers, you enablers of bad.

And Stegman not-getters are officially the worst and don't actually have eyes, just globes of pus with pupils painted on to pretend they do.

Wool

Need some recommendations!

I'm pretty new to comics still, in the last month I've read Hawkeye, Saga, The Matrix Comics and Alan Moore's run of The saga of the swamp thing. I've read most of the big pop culture touchstones like watchman, scott pilgrim, etc. Saga is definitely my favorite series. How is Ythe last man?

Y: The Last Man is pretty good, but not as good as Saga. Brian K Vaughan has this thing in all of his comics besides Saga were he has to make constant pop culture references unrelated to the story. Depends on your taste, but I think it gets pretty annoying.

You should get the first volume of Manhattan Projects and Prophet. They're both amazing.

I made a bunch of drops off my pull list at my LCS. Most of it was a money thing as my wife and I were talking about finances the night before.

Dropped Astro City, Hawkeye, Sheltered, Green Team, Kick Ass 3, and Pandora. I added books to replace those but I couldn't keep on picking up new ones without making some cuts.

What? You don't like dead dogs?

ElNarez

Banned
Sorry but I supported Land through UXM with Gillen with masterful SInister and will support Ewing

His work is marvelous so far.

The super-baller Sinister arc (I'm wagering you're thinking of AvX) was Acuña. But as I said last month, Land on UXM was something you put up with more than enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom