• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's the Neogaf stand-up comedy thread.

So how about that Dane Cook guys? Isn't he a riveting chap?

Hehe, I have a funny story to that. My friend is a local comedian here in Cincinnati and if I were to brand his style of comedy it would be like Dane Cook. Kinda dude bro, suburban white guy comedy. Anyways my friend has done a lot for comedy here in Cincinnati, booking shows for places and is well respected. So when Katt Williams came to town last weekend, his people asked him if he would like to open the show up at US Bank Arena. Longish story cut short, he accepted, he get hugely excited, meets Katt before the show, goes on in front of a 95% black crowd, does his usual suburban tales of woe comedy and get booed off stage. I told him after the show that even Dane Cook would have been booed off by that crowd. Katt Williams killed it though.

Back to comics, mannequin I only read the first Sheltered and my wife kept on reading them until now. She decided to drop it. I'm trying to get her to sign up for a neogaf account and get in here but she don't. She reads just as much as me.

ElNarez

Banned
If you don't expect a thing which may or may not be the first part of an 18-issues long crossover tying in to Trinity War to be good, and you probably don't because Justice League Dark has a history of being super underwhelming, you're very sane.

Thus you might be positively surprised that DeMatteis fucking kills it on #24.

tim1138

If you don't expect a thing which may or may not be the first part of an 18-issues long crossover tying in to Trinity War to be good, and you probably don't because Justice League Dark has a history of being super underwhelming, you're very sane.

Thus you might be positively surprised that DeMatteis fucking kills it on #24.

Right? JLD was my favorite book this week and possibly my favorite FE tie in to date. DeMatteis combined with Janin equals good things. I love the page with Constantine standing in the rubble and the evil taking the form of the serpent in the sky.
Say what you want about it being an 18 part story but I'm pretty intrigued to see what DeMatteis has in store.

ElNarez

Banned
It's a testament to his skill with dialogue that this is the first issue of the New And Improved Constantine where his words and actions actually feel right. It's not Hellblazer, but it's as close as it gets in this universe.

tim1138

It's a testament to his skill with dialogue that this is the first issue of the New And Improved Constantine where his words and actions actually feel right. It's not Hellblazer, but it's as close as it gets in this universe.

Yep, Constantine has a voice that doesn't feel like a Hellblazer parody. I don't ever really see people talk about his stuff here, but I typically enjoy DeMatteis' stuff and I was happy to see him back on high profile-ish book.

The super-baller Sinister arc (I'm wagering you're thinking of AvX) was Acuña. But as I said last month, Land on UXM was something you put up with more than enjoyed.

No I meant the first Extinction Team issue with Sinister taking the sleeping Celestial as well as AvX.

You know, all the hive mind sinisters.

MartyStu

Jesus.

I just peeked into Uncanny Avengers today, and FUCK.

Also, I think I am officially over BOTA. Unless the end goal is to unify the X-Men, I want no part of it.

Sat down this evening and read Dark Victory for the first time, and damn if I didn't really enjoy it. I actually enjoyed it a good bit more than the long halloween, not sure what the usual consensus between the two of them is.

I am LOVING the stylized "S" addition, coupled with the "H" on her waistline. Bravo. :lol

1382551032.jpg

Charles Soule talks 'She-Hulk' and Superlaw with CBR

I'm very proud to be working on the title, and I think it will be the perfect book for readers who are looking for something just a little different -- it's along the lines of your Hawkeyes and your Daredevils, although it is certainly its own beast. "She-Hulk" will be a very human look at the life of a superhuman, and it will be fun.

EDIT:

I can tell you that a meeting between Jen and Matt Murdock is very high on my agenda -- but do they meet as friends--or foes???

pa22word

Anyone else read the Army of Darkness/Reanimator oneshot yet? I thought it was a fun read, great for the season, but not really anything spectacular. This is coming from someone who really enjoyed both movies, so yeah.

Omega

Banned
I've decided to read comics by trade instead of individual issues. Might have to make the exception just for Black Science.

those covers are sexy as fuck.

tm24

Last issue of Ultimate Spider-Man :(

Come join me in mourning everyone!

Also, Headclaw the Stabist is easily 2013's best new character. Samurai Jack was pretty great

Wow you guys were not kidding about Justice League Dark. DeMatteis killed it. While I was reading it I was thinking to myself that you could put those words next to any random character and it would be interesting to read. I'm on board with DeMatteis on JLD.

Do you plan on getting all the Blight books Tim?

Also read regular JL. Pretty damn good. Mentions of a lot of DCU lore that I'm not familiar with but excited to find out.

tim1138

Wow you guys were not kidding about Justice League Dark. DeMatteis killed it. While I was reading it I was thinking to myself that you could put those words next to any random character and it would be interesting to read. I'm on board with DeMatteis on JLD.

Do you plan on getting all the Blight books Tim?

Also read regular JL. Pretty damn good. Mentions of a lot of DCU lore that I'm not familiar with but excited to find out.

Yeah, I'm in for all of Blight. I was going to read it all anyway, I already read 3/4 books involved so adding Constantine for a few months is no biggie. I have gone from cautiously optimistic to pretty interested in it, really curious to see what the ramifications are and how it will tie back in to the conclusion of Forever Evil. I also fully expect Pandora and Phantom Stranger to be cancelled at the conclusion of Blight.

Yeah, I'm in for all of Blight. I was going to read it all anyway, I already read 3/4 books involved so adding Constantine for a few months is no biggie. I have gone from cautiously optimistic to pretty interested in it, really curious to see what the ramifications are and how it will tie back in to the conclusion of Forever Evil. I also fully expect Pandora and Phantom Stranger to be cancelled at the conclusion of Blight.

I may ask you to spoil some books for me along the way. Don't know if I'll be able to get some books some weeks. I'm in for JLD all the way though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I know a lot of people don't like X-23.
If you're one of those, then you should know that she's on the receiving end of at least three epic beatdowns in Avengers Arena.

Oh shit Superior Spidey fans. If you don't read Superior Carnage, you missed a bomb shell.

The Wizard and Klaw broke Carnage out of lock up. Cletus was lobotomized so they needed a new host so the Wizard could control Carnage. Stuff happened and Spock had The Wizard in his hands and with the wizards head contraption was able to make Spock as Otto. Stunned Spock dropped Wizard from pretty high up and he landed in a car. Wizard thought his mind was failing him but Spock, thinking he was going to die soon, told him he was Otto. Then comes Carnage who is not being controlled anymore wants to kill everyone. Klaw intervenes and is killed by Carnage but not before setting off some type of sonic explosion. Spock hits the ground, looks around to find some naked guy who was the new host of Carnage and The Wizard who knows the truth of Spock slowly being engulfed by the red symbiote.

Spocks life just keeps on getting worse.

Oh shit Superior Spidey fans. If you don't read Superior Carnage, you missed a bomb shell.

The Wizard and Klaw broke Carnage out of lock up. Cletus was lobotomized so they needed a new host so the Wizard could control Carnage. Stuff happened and Spock had The Wizard in his hands and with the wizards head contraption was able to make Spock as Otto. Stunned Spock dropped Wizard from pretty high up and he landed in a car. Wizard thought his mind was failing him but Spock, thinking he was going to die soon, told him he was Otto. Then comes Carnage who is not being controlled anymore wants to kill everyone. Klaw intervenes and is killed by Carnage but not before setting off some type of sonic explosion. Spock hits the ground, looks around to find some naked guy who was the new host of Carnage and The Wizard who knows the truth of Spock slowly being engulfed by the red symbiote.

HOLY SHIT...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Serious question

Is it because the way X-23 is written or designed? Or both?

I liked X-23 because of the cartoons years ago

Haven't read the X-23 comic because some people are quite negative(?) about X-23

Probably decided they didn't like the character up front because it's a dumb idea.
But dumb ideas can result in great comics. See: Spock.

Nudull

Banned
How do you guys feel about the "52" series that was written by Johns, Morrison, Rucka and Waid?

A lot of people I know have praised it up and down. I have the novelization and haven't finished it yet, but anything with Batwoman is usually awesome. :3

TAJ

...and for some reason, comixology won't let me log in on my Nexus 7. Fuck

They dropped Android support recently. There was no official announcement, so I understand your confusion.

Acid08

Banned

Oh man that sounds crazy! Seems time really is running out for Spock.

Yeah, BotA is regretfully a little ass. But how was I supposed to know BENDIS/WOOD/AARON triple threat would flop so hard? Messiah Complex remains unbothered.

Wait, people turned on Battle of the Atom? What happened?

Nothing! That's the problem. It's been like 4 issues of fight scene with very messy dialogue and pacing. It started off strong though and it won't be worse than Necrosha, Messiah War, Second Coming or Schism... but damn. It's the 50th anniversary mega event. :((((

frye

There are enough of what I assume are intentional nods to the Enigma in P. Deadly that I'd be sold even if it was bad (it's P. Neat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom