• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I think there is too much DC talk; you can tell when Spike begins his passive aggressive trolling.

I was busy this weekend so I didn't get the chance but I wanted to agree with everything you said about Batwoman. I'm not upset about the creative team change, the one in place was just putting out a book where I wanted the main character to loose, just really turned Batwoman into an unlikable character.

Comixology has been completely fucked since the update.
When I finally got Avengers Arena 16 to start downloading it took over four hours on an 18Mbps connection. I've only gotten one other comic (an issue of Archer and Armstrong) to download the entire time since the update.

So it looks like Nico
came back all Pet Sematary
Hopeless is trollin' Runaways fans hard, lol.
Good issue, but I could have done a better job drawing it.

I got the same errors (I'm on Android, don't know about yourself). Contact support through the app, they're pretty helpful.

RE: Avengers Arena
Seems like the perfect set-up for a "I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE SOMEWHERE, NICO! YOU'VE GOT TO FIGHT IT" scene

Wow some of you guys read a lot.

I have the worst college schedule on a Thursday, first class in the morning and last class in the evening. I also can't really go home since I'm a good 30-40 mins drive away. Even with my studies, this leaves a lot of time for comics on that day.

arkon

Bravest Warriors #13
Daredevil #32
FF #13
Star Wars Legacy #8
Wolverine And The X-Men #37
Young Avengers #11

Might check out Marvel Now What #1 and Velvet #1 as well. Still undecided on those.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

PNjOHVg.gif

I was busy this weekend so I didn't get the chance but I wanted to agree with everything you said about Batwoman. I'm not upset about the creative team change, the one in place was just putting out a book where I wanted the main character to loose, just really turned Batwoman into an unlikable character.

I'm not upset about the creative change but neither do I appreciate that it came to that point in the way that it did. But it is hard for me to reconcile how much I didn't like Batwoman, the character. Kind of a weird situation to be in. It's not even that I can't like unlikeable characters. Something about Kate, in particular, was just rubbing me the wrong way. I keep going back to the scene in an early issue where
Kate is getting it on as Bette is getting brutalized, after Kate went off on her for no reason.
I just keep comparing everything she does with that scene. I doubt that is what the creators intended.

I'm not upset about the creative change but neither do I appreciate that it came to that point in the way that it did. But it is hard for me to reconcile how much I didn't like Batwoman, the character. Kind of a weird situation to be in. It's not even that I can't like unlikeable characters. Something about Kate, in particular, was just rubbing me the wrong way. I keep going back to the scene in an early issue where
Kate is getting it on as Bette is getting brutalized, after Kate went off on her for no reason.
I just keep comparing everything she does with that scene. I doubt that is what the creators intended.

But.. But..
Kate was just trying to protect her! Sure she went about it in a soap-opera-y, hurtful way, yes, not cool. But her intention was to get Bette to quit so that she DIDN'T get messed up. Kate isn't good at identifying or expressing her feelings. She didn't have her sister or mother growing up just her awesome-but-militaristic dad. So she didn't learn those feeling skills or something.

I understand you, Kate!

I don't even know why I care. And I think I sang this song for you before and you weren't having it.

Maybe I'm confused but wasn't this whole
unmask batman thing a ploy by kate, her father and cousin to stick it to black mask and get to the bottom of whats up with Kate's sister?

Anyways, was this their last issue?

Maybe I'm confused but wasn't this whole
unmask batman thing a ploy by kate, her father and cousin to stick it to black mask and get to the bottom of whats up with Kate's sister?

Anyways, was this their last issue?

Yes, last issue. And yes/no.
She was strong armed into it by Bones but she didn't do anything to try and stop it. Like, say, go to Batman who had warned her about Bones. And then she started to relish the chance to beat Batman and prove herself, barely giving a fuck that she was helping Arkham Inmates to terrorize the city in the process.

But.. But..
Kate was just trying to protect her! Sure she went about it in a soap-opera-y, hurtful way, yes, not cool. But her intention was to get Bette to quit so that she DIDN'T get messed up. Kate isn't good at identifying or expressing her feelings. She didn't have her sister or mother growing up just her awesome-but-militaristic dad. So she didn't learn those feeling skills or something.

I understand you, Kate!

I don't even know why I care. And I think I sang this song for you before and you weren't having it.

Because discussion is great! And yeah we talked briefly about it. I mentioned it specifically because I was bringing it up for a different reason. I actually understand where you are coming from with the spoiled bit. I can relate myself, in a fashion. I just brought it up again to highlight why I've been struggling to like Batwoman the character. As I've mentioned before, I actually enjoy the book itself, especially because I feel the writers actually did a really good job with Bette. She has been growing as a character throughout the run and it shows in the latest issue where she is just a boss.

#TeamBette

Yes #teamBette all the way.

I still love the book but will forever be bitter about Amy Reeder leaving it.

Her issues were such a great contrast to JH3.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Holy shit at the Avengers Arena #17 preview.
Take a close look at
Darkhawk
Fuck yes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can't even tell what parts of his body I am looking at in that shot. Looks like he is 3 feet tall.

You're on to something.
Darkhawk IS shorter, because it's Cammi. Also, check out the jet pack, collar and gloves.

How far do you guys generally travel to go to your comics book stores?

45 minutes. There are several closer but it is on the way to my room mates weekly appointments and they are awesome. It also happens to be the comic shop that a fair number of the local talent (like Jeff Parker of Batman 66 or Bendis) frequent.

Vibranium

Banned
Supported books for this week:

Velvet #1 (Everyone buy this, I hope Bru intends for it to go on longer than Fatale).

Pretty Deadly #1

Uncanny Avengers #13

Daredevil #32 (Finally caught up)

30 minutes to downtown but it's a shit-show and since I have a tablet I read most of my stuff on that now. My local shop guys don't even read that many books, they're into all the merchandise stuff instead which sucks. :/

there's one 10 minutes from me, max. but I'm 100% digital only. There's a couple of tubs full of my 90s comics collection that's pretty much just taking up space. No real point to physical for me.

I just go digital because I'm not from the US. There are a couple of shops that get issues a week late about 45 minutes away which I go for trades and a couple of variants.

Depends! If I want to be overcharged (by Canadian standards, which would translate into being flat out ripped off in the States) and treated like shit I can walk 10 minutes. If I want to be fairly charged by decent people with a great selection I take a bus, then a skytrain, then a bus. Takes about 45 minutes. I go to the place that's further away because I do not abide bad service.

I used to go to this other shop that was even further but offered a discount (not everyone offers that for settling up a pull. Again, Canada). Then they sent me a condescending email response once and that was it for them.

I spend too much money to tolerate bad service.

Vibranium

Banned
Question.

Do you all prefer the blue nightwing outfit, or the red.

That is all.

Blue (light or dark is cool with me), Red was one of the dumbest things DC New 52 editorial designers ever did with a character who has already has a badass look that doesn't need to be changed.

diaspora

I feel like the entire run of Superior Spider-Man is to highlight how much worse spock is at dealing with criminals like Massacre versus peter.

Cheska

Okay, so I don't feel that bad about driving 30 minutes to a comic book shop now. There's one in the next town over, but it's a dump and I rather go out further to a place that has what I need.

Okay, so I don't feel that bad about driving 30 minutes to a comic book shop now. There's one in the next town over, but it's a dump and I rather go out further to a place that has what I need.

There used to be a crappy comic shop not far away from the one I do go to. I went in a couple of times just to look, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. The interior was dirty and run-down, and the staff just didn't care. It closed down not long after.

So yeah, it's definitely worth going a bit further if it provides a considerably better experience.

Messi

No Pretty Deadly or Velvet????

messi pls

I know nothing about them honestly. I'll take a look at the store too. I always leave with more than my intended books

Nearest comic shop is an hour away by bus and they don't keep books for people. Neither of the two shops do which is a pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom