• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing! That's the problem. It's been like 4 issues of fight scene with very messy dialogue and pacing. It started off strong though and it won't be worse than Necrosha, Messiah War, Second Coming or Schism... but damn. It's the 50th anniversary mega event. :((((

Are we talking AoU levels of nothing?

Also, I had no idea this year was the X-Men 50th.

Cade

How do you guys feel about the "52" series that was written by Johns, Morrison, Rucka and Waid?

It's one of my absolute favorite books. I never see it get much love but I try to insert it into comics conversations a lot. Great stuff with some focus on great characters and some great writers in that.

Vyer

Man, I really liked the world building in Aquaman.

Also WatXM was decent, but yeah...ready for some sort of conclusion now.

They dropped Android support recently. There was no official announcement, so I understand your confusion.

Ha.

Weenerz

Banned
Thunderbolts has such terrible art, how are they still using the arist?

HFSH4KH.jpg

Look at how bad Venom is, yuck.

Nudull

Banned
Thunderbolts has such terrible art, how are they still using the arist?

Look at how bad Venom is, yuck.

Thunderbolts is switching artists when Ghost Rider shows up, right? I can usually forgive bad art if the story is good, but given this book's track record...

I'm actually most concerned at those background details. Namely, that they're missing entirely and replaced with a lazy Photoshop gradient.

I mean, when Quitely skips on the backgrounds, he makes up for it with the detailed characters and body language. What's this dude's excuse?

Yeah, I was flipping though it earlier. Haven't read it yet. I'll probably get to it before bed tonight. I did read Pretty Deadly, though, which was very well done.

I just read Pretty Deadly and thought it was ok. It did not make me super hyped or anything. I'll give it another shot. Also read Rat Queens and Sex Criminals. With that said, I have read all my books for the week and now have my top 5:

5. Tie with Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, and Justice League.
4. Red Lanterns
3. Superior Carnage
2. Velvet
1. Justice League Dark

Just finished reading Velvet. That book was excellent. And I'm not usually very big on spy stories, but this one got its hooks into me pretty quickly. I shouldn't be surprised, given how good Criminal and Fatale are. Can't wait for #2.

does anyone read teen titans anymore? did that shitshow ever get it together? is lobdell still trash?
It's embarrassing garbage-- poorly plotted, bad pacing, cringe worthy dialogue, characterizations that in no way resemble any of the Titans that we've seen before. It's horrifying that Lobdell has taken the franchise and sculpted into one of the biggest turds of the nu52.

tm24

It's horrifying that Lobdell has taken the franchise and sculpted into one of the biggest turds of the nu52.

Its not even the franchise, they gave him a huge piece of the DCU to work in.

Didn't Lobdell say something stupid last week? I read that he said something, but didnt read what

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Its not even the franchise, they gave him a huge piece of the DCU to work in.

Didn't Lobdell say something stupid last week? I read that he said something, but didnt read what

Pretty sure he joked about how he had been fired from DC and we all got super excited until he revealed it was a joke. There were some tears...

Cheska

Just want to chime in an say I have no fucking clue what was happening in Pretty Deadly #1. However, Velvet #1 on the other hand was phenomenal! Great introduction to the series, awesome art, good writing. Was really pleased with it and will definitely be adding it to the pull list.

Rat Queens may be one of my new favorite comics. Few books make me smile from ear to ear like this has, I was lucky enough to find the last copy of #1, and the second to last copy of #2 when I popped into my LCS today around 12:30. Seems to be flying off the shelves according the the owner there.

It's one of my absolute favorite books. I never see it get much love but I try to insert it into comics conversations a lot. Great stuff with some focus on great characters and some great writers in that.

Glad to hear this good impression! I think it'll be the next omnibus I pick up after I finish reading the New Avengers one I just bought.

Nudull

Banned
Finally got to watch part of the PBS Superheroes documentary, it's pretty good stuff. I'm getting pretty curious about Luke Cage and Jim Steranko's work, now.

NoTacos

So today I picked up a DC essentials version of Batman #1, just to get started and get a feel for it. Wow. Like its hard to say how good it is. Im going to have to buy more now.

Also picked up #17 of Superior Spiderman. This was good. Not as good as Batman, but still some cray stuff going on because of the referenced crossover event going on.

Both are getting added to my pull list along with Flash.

They were down anyway, particularly in the case of Bru, but definitely be picking up Pretty Deadly and Velvet when they hit trade after such good reviews. Super excited for these.

I just read Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1. What the FUCK did I just read?

(?daer tsuj did KCUF eht tahW .1# naM-redipS :sthginK levraM daer tsuj I)

Messi

Just want to chime in an say I have no fucking clue what was happening in Pretty Deadly #1. However, Velvet #1 on the other hand was phenomenal! Great introduction to the series, awesome art, good writing. Was really pleased with it and will definitely be adding it to the pull list.

Rat Queens may be one of my new favorite comics. Few books make me smile from ear to ear like this has, I was lucky enough to find the last copy of #1, and the second to last copy of #2 when I popped into my LCS today around 12:30. Seems to be flying off the shelves according the the owner there.

Glad to hear this good impression! I think it'll be the next omnibus I pick up after I finish reading the New Avengers one I just bought.

Glad I wasn't the only one who didnt know what the fuck was going on in Pretty Deadly. Need to read it again. Art is fantastic though.

Wolverine and the X-Men #37 -
It was good. There were a lot of cool moments where the different timeline X-Men interact and stuff and it was fun. Seeing Cyclops's and Wolverine's team in the same room was also fun. I kind of feel like not a lot has been revealed in the past few chapters of Battle of the Atom, though. Definitely looking forward to the last chapter. There are still a lot of things I want to know.

Justice League #24 -
I really liked this. Some cool interesting reveals about the Crime Syndicate here. If only this story was being continued every week. Only this and FE are continuing this main story, which is really the only really good story of this whole Forever Evil thing.

Uncanny Avengers #13 -
This book has gotten so good, it's making the shitty first issues look alright looking back at them now that we know what we know now. I just love how there are so many things going on at once all building up the story from different angles. It's so good!

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #5 -
We finally get to see what the Sinister Six collecting has been for and it's kind of sad, but just like Spider-Ock. This issue was alright. We get to see this other story and Spider-Man 2099 shows up for a sec, but feels a bit disconnected from Superior, where deleting Peter Parker is starting to come back to bite Ock in the ass.

FF #13 -
This book has gotten even goofier the last few issues. I'm sad to hear that it's coming to an end. They built up such a great roster of kids and the new F4. They could have done so many cool stories. I guess they're going to cram that Doom story they were building up to into the next 3 issues. It should be good.

Red Lanterns #24 -
I've really only read the main Green Lantern aside from a couple of crossover issues up until now, but maybe I'll start reading all the Lantern books after Lights Out. I'm just finding out of about Guy's situation and it sounds interesting. I think the cat red lantern is hilarious too. Lights Out is getting really interesting now. I'm wondering if Sinestro will show back up at some point since he has the last entity. This Relic thing kind of involves all Lanterns too.

JL and JLD 24......sooooooooooooooooo fucking good this week. Personally I'm really enjoying the hell out of Forever Evil, and all of this. #teamblackadam

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
MARVEL NOW THEN, NOW THEN

All-New X-Men - While a neat brief interlude concept with the originals drifting in, another Bendis book but now fucking with all of the X-Men has been as legit bad as I feared. Keeping Young Jean Grey and Young Cyclops et al around for romantic pair ups is just not what I want from X-books when they'd just found their feet again post-Schism. Battle of the Atom has been 9 issues of stupid random future X-Men fanon fighting. Also Bendis assassination of Kitty as still some clueless hothead when WatXM had her as a damn good adult headmistress is disappointing. Her getting "attached" to the original five makes no sense at all.

Are we reading the same book? Bendis has got the X-Men soap opera feel down pat. Love me some O5 dudes running around, and so far BotA has been great fun. Genuinely hilarious cliffhangers with EVEN MORE X-MEN, but they're keeping it fairly tight still. Best X-Event for a good long time.

Avengers - isn't an Avengers book. Its some high-sci-fi stuff happening that Hickman wants to write but with occasional appearances from Cap, Iron Man and Thor.

I maybe agree that it's not super-Avengers-y but it is bloody good space opera with some fantastic ideas and long term plotting going on. It feels different.

X-Men - also lacking severe purpose, and sharing the same space as UXF as Team X-Women, but this time without Puck. An endearing Logan and Jubilee issue made me glad someone else can write Wolverine not as the most retarded character living, but then it got BotA event'd. Needs to prove itself bigtime.

It's barely had time to stretch its legs, but I've been enjoying it so far. The first arc was pretty good, the Logan and Jubilee issue was wonderful and I like having a space for the X-Women to really interact and spark off each other. I like the tensions they're introducing with Storm as the leader.

Captain America - Great first arc, if it ended a little with typical Remender schlock tactics. Not sure how its going to hold up outside of Dimension Z. At many times it doesnt feel like Remender writing which is a good thing.

I thought dimension Z was great but not feeling this Nuke story at all. But I really have a thing against both flags on faces, and characters wearing combat trousers with no shirt. It's a bad look.

FF - sorry dudes, Allred has never been my jam. This book has never worked well in my eyes due to the occasionally great comic moments juxtaposed over a grieving father out for revenge for his disintegrated dead daughter. Book only ever lived and died as Hickman spillover in the past anyway.

I wish this was just about the school. I don't need villains and shit in this book at all.

Fantastic Four - Went nowhere, now the team switches up.

How Bagley ruined this book is beyond me. Dude went from being a solid artist to pumping out this shite? Boo.

New Avengers - aka, Reed Richards and Black Panther continue Hickman's F4 run. Good stuff, but needs to go somewhere soon, although its been event'd.

I don't think it's been event'd, rather its a key part of the event and has been designed as such. You think the whole reality incursion thing has nothing to do with the universal shenanigans elsewhere?

Thor: God of Thunder: Jason Aaron, I would make love-words with thee.

I loved the first arc, but I couldn't even get through the last issue. So many dumb words, so many dumb tropes, so much dumb font. Ugh. Luckily it's only 5 issues long. And this is after the perfection that was that Midgard issue.

Hawkeye: Feels like its really squandered its momentum a bit too much. Retelling the same events 4-times was way too many.

But... that art!! So damn good looking. I can forgive a lot when a book looks like this.

monome

But... that art!! So damn good looking. I can forgive a lot when a book looks like this.

I think the over repetition in the latest Hawkeye really shows the power of treating a superhero on a mundane level and actually elevated my appreciation for the writting.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I just infinitely prefer WatXM to all other X-books, and Bendis being given the big stick to fuck around with boring Cyclops mutants and now also the school just isn't cool in my book. Aaron's run has just been a symphony of shit getting in the way of the stories he wants to tell, and all the events are inferior to the stuff he just does on a regular basis. All Bendis characters sound the same, and now he's taken once smart characters from the 60's and just fucking air-headed them all.

While Aaron is telling the tale of adult X-men as professors and the new gen of characters like Broo, Idie, Quire, et al, Bendis instead is just shitting around with things like CYCLOPS KISSING X-23 and then also his terrible own set of non-character mutants with ridiculous deus ex machina powers. It just feels like a far cry from the forward momentum of post-Schism when Aaron was getting his complete space to setup and Gillen was telling some great stuff with the Extinction Team. Events and Bendis have muddied things significantly since.

With Hawkeye, its probably just the delays and it disappearing from my pull for what felt like quarter of a year that has made it feel like its dragged recently. Loved the annual mind and Kate Bishop. I guess that thats all fractured now as well is another reason why the feels are off.

arkon

I just read Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1. What the FUCK did I just read?

(?daer tsuj did KCUF eht tahW .1# naM-redipS :sthginK levraM daer tsuj I)

My thoughts exactly. I normally like Kindt's work and I was looking forward to this, but I really didn't get on with that first issue. I've dropped it now but might pick it up in trade if I hear good things about the later issues.

So there's an... well, I'll call it "interesting" theory going about regarding that "Ms." teaser that Marvel put out and the next phase of Marvel NOW!. It's been suggested by more than one person that
the "Ms." references Angela, who is getting rebranded as the new Ms. Marvel, and solicitations suggest that there is indeed a new character taking the name. But what if, as this individual suggests, the rabbit hole goes even deeper? What if Angela-now-Ms-Marvel is really... Jean Grey?

Grasping much? What do you folks think?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
There needs to be a ban on Lobdell comics. He's a fucking hack and everything he touches turns to horseshit.

Jean Grey return is going to be a big summer event. Thats what I'd do when I found a good story to bring her back with. Everyone loves a Phoenix story.

Village

Questions, I have more.

Also the loki thing looks interesting.

Anyways I have been drawing a lot of batman redesigns, since... I feel like it would be good practice , and I have passion for fashion ( the super hero kind anyway)

I gots more questions.

If you like harley quinn, which outfit did you like.

Also if you like harley quinn, what do you like harley doing. I am a fan of her kind being a separate entity from the joker, she is a lot funnier that way.

Questions, I have more.

Also the loki thing looks interesting.

Anyways I have been drawing a lot of batman redesigns, since... I feel like it would be good practice , and I have passion for fashion ( the super hero kind anyway)

I gots more questions.

If you like harley quinn, which outfit did you like.

Also if you like harley quinn, what do you like harley doing. I am a fan of her kind being a separate entity from the joker, she is a lot funnier that way.

I like the Art Adams blue Batman suit with the yellow symbol. Its a refreshing suit after having the black/grey for awhile.

KUfNGbn.jpg

multivac

So can anyone explain (new WatXM spoilers)
why young Iceman is in the Jean Grey school with the Wolverine X-Men/Cyclops X-Men/Totally Legit Future (for real this time) X-Men with his arm restraints still on and then on the next page he's in the Blackbird that was stolen by the Totally Fake Future (they're like the Brotherhood, you know?) X-Men with the rest of the Original Five?
Cause I looked it over a few times and I just can't figure it out.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So there's an... well, I'll call it "interesting" theory going about regarding that "Ms." teaser that Marvel put out and the next phase of Marvel NOW!. It's been suggested by more than one person that
the "Ms." references Angela, who is getting rebranded as the new Ms. Marvel, and solicitations suggest that there is indeed a new character taking the name. But what if, as this individual suggests, the rabbit hole goes even deeper? What if Angela-now-Ms-Marvel is really... Jean Grey?

Grasping much? What do you folks think?

Good god. Does anyone want this? Although I will commend them for trying to make the character fit so hard. I can't remember the last time made such an effort with a character

While that is nice,

Asking about HArley.

Also why is bruce black?

You said you were doing batman redesigns! :( But I see what you were getting at. I liked Harley when she was more of a counterpart to Joker with the jester influence in her costume. the goth/punk/sexy costume is sexualizing her for no real reason.

Bruce has always been black. Just another injustice delivered by The Man.

Village

You said you were doing batman redesigns! :( But I see what you were getting at. I liked Harley when she was more of a counterpart to Joker with the jester influence in her costume. the goth/punk/sexy costume is sexualizing her for no real reason.

Bruce has always been black. Just another injustice delivered by The Man.

Oh man fight the power.

But yeah , imma get to bruce eventually. Got dracula ideas for him.

Anyways Right now working on harley, Jayson, Dick and possibly tim.

Harley's was inspired by a Janelle monae song, anyways I cannot work on it right now, in class. But I cannot wait to get home to get the first version done. Imma do a quick version to show it off and junk

In an interview published earlier this week by Newsarama, "Daredevil" writer Mark Waid said the following about the book's long-term prospects, with the character's 50th anniversary looming in 2014: "They're...interesting. And quite unexpected and quite familiar at the same time. They may or may not involve a drastic shift in Matt Murdock's career and lifestyle. But we do know this one thing for sure: the Waid/Samnee/Rodriguez/Caramagna team isn't going anywhere, and we're striving for new heights!"

Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom