• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh man fight the power.

But yeah , imma get to bruce eventually. Got dracula ideas for him.

Anyways Right now working on harley, Jayson, Dick and possibly tim.

Harley's was inspired by a Janelle monae song, anyways I cannot work on it right now, in class. But I cannot wait to get home to get the first version done. Imma do a quick version to show it off and junk

Dude, right now, I'd take any Harley redesign over the juggalette shit they currently have her in. The worst physical/mental redesign I've witnessed since I started reading comics,

Edit: Her personality is only slightly salvaged/maintained by Matt Kindt in the Villains month issue. He put in work on that issue but it seems like nobody else knows what the fuck is going on when they write her.

Cap #11 was a decent transition, but the first 10 issues read like a miniseries and it feels over.

That's how I felt about the first Locke and Key arc. Like, welp, that was super sweet. Watch out for that creepy dude! Take care, kids!

But I just won a copy of something called Locke and Key: Crown of Shadows Treasury Edition, so that may spark a renewed interest in the series.

One hair color and floppy ears. Like a bunny rabbit! :3

end6RhC.jpg

Village

Dude, right now, I'd take any Harley redesign over the juggalette shit they currently have her in. The worst physical/mental redesign I've witnessed since I started reading comics,

Edit: Her personality is only slightly salvaged/maintained by Matt Kindt in the Villains month issue. He put in work on that issue but it seems like nobody else knows what the fuck is going on when they write her.

I hope my attempt makes you feel better, my outfit is gonna be bassed of the older one,

Red Lanterns was pretty damn good too this week, TT was so so. Quite enjoyed Flash, Aquaman and Batman the Dark Knight was better than it had been in some time. I still have a few more to get through, including Catwoman 24. Which I've flipped through and jeebus this Joker's Daughter Character is just awful. Can the Joker come back and kill her to get his face back already. Just fucking awful.

tim1138

Red Lanterns was pretty damn good too this week, TT was so so. Quite enjoyed Flash, Aquaman and Batman the Dark Knight was better than it had been in some time. I still have a few more to get through, including Catwoman 24. Which I've flipped through and jeebus this Joker's Daughter Character is just awful. Can the Joker come back and kill her to get his face back already. Just fucking awful.

Spoil Flash for me, I saw an interview with Buccaleto that made it sound like Flashpoint was going to be mentioned.

Spoil Flash for me, I saw an interview with Buccaleto that made it sound like Flashpoint was going to be mentioned.

Ok basically Reverse Flash travels back in time to kill his Dad. Barry and Iris are trying to stop him. As the the Reverse Flash is doing it hes like slowly turning into a Monster. Barry makes him see that he has to stop because his actions in the past are effecting his future self, and that the things that happen to us make us who we are (the big theme of the issue). Barry basically talks him down and uses his speed force powers to suck up Reverse Flash's and move every one back into the present day, where he's fully powered back. Flash point isn't mentioned exactly but the cause of it is. Barry talks about how he could go back in time and stop his mother's death but the repercussions of that could be catastrophic and that the things that happened to him made him who he is (again recurring theme). So he changes his mind about giving up on solving his mother's cold case and returns to it. I think that basically sums it up.

There's some other stuff with Daniel in jail, and Iris basically saying the same thing, those things that happened in the past made us who we are. You tried to kill our dad and now I want nothing to do with you ever again.

It'll be interesting to see when the switch from Patty to Iris takes place for his love interest. He still has very strong feelings for Iris which is shown in this issue, but he talks about never being able to live with out Patty, so who knows.

I hope that sums it up well, probably not a perfect sum up, but should get the point of it all across.

tim1138

Ok basically Reverse Flash travels back in time to kill his Dad. Barry and Iris are trying to stop him. As the the Reverse Flash is doing it hes like slowly turning into a Monster. Barry makes him see that he has to stop because his actions in the past are effecting his future self, and that the things that happen to us make us who we are (the big theme of the issue). Barry basically talks him down and uses his speed force powers to suck up Reverse Flash's and move every one back into the present day, where he's fully powered back. Flash point isn't mentioned exactly but the cause of it is. Barry talks about how he could go back in time and stop his mother's death but the repercussions of that could be catastrophic and that the things that happened to him made him who he is (again recurring theme). So he changes his mind about giving up on solving his mother's cold case and returns to it. I think that basically sums it up.

There's some other stuff with Daniel in jail, and Iris basically saying the same thing, those things that happened in the past made us who we are. You tried to kill our dad and now I want nothing to do with you ever again.

It'll be interesting to see when the switch from Patty to Iris takes place for his love interest. He still has very strong feelings for Iris which is shown in this issue, but he talks about never being able to live with out Patty, so who knows.

I hope that sums it up well, probably not a perfect sum up, but should get the point of it all across.

Perfect, thanks. I keep waiting for Flashpoint to be referenced in some fashion, especially after they showed Bruce still has the letter from Thomas in an issue of JL.

Rat queens has so much potential, really great right now but it is bound to be amazing if they keep it up.

Sex Criminals reminds me of Scott Pilgrim in some way, love the art and colors and the story is fun.

Violet was great, amazing art, interesting story, need to see more.

Talon was good, I just want to see a showdown with Bane vs the Butcher with Talon and Batman coming in to clean up.

Marvel is kicking ass but I think Image right now has too many really great books, all so different too.

Still have lots more to read.

Nah, Jean is going through her trial thing. Not thinking Angela as Ms. Marvel due to the green Ms and not orange. Honestly since we didn't get any UA teasers thinking the Ms is referring to Rogue and has her color type in the name.

lordmrw

god damn, the art team on Aquaman is absolutely killing it. I've been a fan of Paul Pelletier for a long time now and he's really stepped it up here; following Ivan Reis had to be hard but he makes it look so easy.

Eldren

I know I'm super late on this but just going back a few pages, I think the problem with Jefte Palo's art on Thunderbolts is partly down to the colourist. I don't think those colours match his style very well. Has anyone here read Taskmaster: Unthinkable, which he did with Fred Van Lente? Palo's art was coloured by Jean Francois Beaulieu (he did Skottie Young's Oz art) and I think it's a much much better fit.

Also that Captain America trailer was brilliant. Really looking forward to that, and it definitely makes me want to check out Brubaker's Cap and Bucky runs.

Acid08

Banned
Read Latour and Klein's run. It's probably even better (albiet way shorter).
Official Winter Soldier arc ranking:

#1: First arc. Has Dr. Doom, cannot be anything but the best.

#2: Latour and Klein's run, amazing stuff. Incredible art.

#3: Bru's second arc. Boring, messy, and a super crappy conclusion.

Questions, I have more.

Also the loki thing looks interesting.

Anyways I have been drawing a lot of batman redesigns, since... I feel like it would be good practice , and I have passion for fashion ( the super hero kind anyway)

I gots more questions.

If you like harley quinn, which outfit did you like.

Also if you like harley quinn, what do you like harley doing. I am a fan of her kind being a separate entity from the joker, she is a lot funnier that way.

classic jester Harley Quinn is the best Harley Quinn

Eldren

Very good mini, although I've been a huge Taskmaster mark since Agent X.

I don't think I've read much else with him in it. Avengers Initiative and he's in a couple of issues of Deadpool & Cable, and that's it for me. I loved Unthinkable though, I thought it was great.

And man, seriously, you guys are getting me really interested in some Cap/Bucky. Where would I start with that? Brubaker's first Cap issues?

Hah, I thought someone might go a little off topic today and mention Arkham Origins. Anyone else super psyched? Played the first hour and a half, so good.

And man, seriously, you guys are getting me really interested in some Cap/Bucky. Where would I start with that? Brubaker's first Cap issues?

If you are super commited, then yea, it really is the best place to start. There are a few *ultimate collections* where you can save some cash. All the way through to fear itself 7.1 and then Winter Soldier is brilliant for superheroics. That run and Bru's Gotham Central really opened my eyes on superhero comics. I don't think his cap stuff compared to Criminal, but yea, go crazy, it's mostly a fantastic run (not too fond of the cap reborn bit in the middle)

Brubaker Cap is so good, you can't go wrong with that.

I was so hyped for Pretty Deadly, but by the end it'd devolved into krusty-what-the-hell-was-that.gif territory.

Hah, I thought someone might go a little off topic today and mention Arkham Origins. Anyone else super psyched? Played the first hour and a half, so good.

If you are super commited, then yea, it really is the best place to start. There are a few *ultimate collections* where you can save some cash. All the way through to fear itself 7.1 and then Winter Soldier is brilliant for superheroics. That run and Bru's Gotham Central really opened my eyes on superhero comics. I don't think his cap stuff compared to Criminal, but yea, go crazy, it's mostly a fantastic run (not too fond of the cap reborn bit in the middle)

My CE shipped from Amazon. Cant wait for tomorrow.

Hey guys this is probably the best place to ask. I'm looking for some good non-super hero comics. I've just gone through Y: The Last Man in the span of a week and there's now a huge void in my life having finished that. I'd like to fill that with a few other good comics. To give more of a background, I'm currently reading Saga, Hawkeye, The Walking Dead and Revival.

tim1138

Do did anyone actually enjoy Pretty Deadly? It seems the common reaction (myself included) was one of disappointment/what did I just read.

Emma Rios drew the hell out of that book, but the actual story? Meh.

Baconsaurus Rex said:
Hey guys this is probably the best place to ask. I'm looking for some good non-super hero comics. I've just gone through Y: The Last Man in the span of a week and there's now a huge void in my life having finished that. I'd like to fill that with a few other good comics. To give more of a background, I'm currently reading Saga, Hawkeye, The Walking Dead and Revival.

Read the Planetary (Warren Ellis and John Cassaday) trades. It's finished and is collected in 4 volumes.
For ongoings read Manhattan Projects.

Locke and Key. Sweet Tooth. American Vampire. Sweet Tooth has finished its entire run already, Locke and Key only has a few more issues/one more trade to go, American Vampire has 5 volumes out and is half way through. I once religiously recommended Y to people looking for good non-superhero comics, now I recommend these, so hopefully you'd dig em too.

Do did anyone actually enjoy Pretty Deadly? It seems the common reaction (myself included) was one of disappointment/what did I just read

Honestly, I was getting the impression that the common reaction was one of really liking it. It's certainly doing super well with the critics, they have me sold on it when it hits trade.

Click

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Some other ideas to investigate for longer, completed stories: Transmetropolitan, Scalped, DMZ, Ex Machina (this is superheroish however), Sweet Tooth, Planetary.

arkon

Try out Manhattan Projects, East of West, Lazarus, Collider/FBP, Black Beetle, Prophet, Six Gun Gorilla, Multiple Warheads, Star Wars Legacy, Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye, Atomic Robo, Hellboy/BPRD, Planetary, Preacher, Sandman, Scalped, Ex Machina and Criminal.

Acid08

Banned
Manhattan Projects, Six-Gun Gorilla, The Black Beetle, Chew, Multiple Warheads, Prophet, Lazarus, East of West.

Messi

Read Saga again Yo

:)

frye

Do did anyone actually enjoy Pretty Deadly? It seems the common reaction (myself included) was one of disappointment/what did I just read.

Emma Rios drew the hell out of that book, but the actual story? Meh.

People seem to like it from what I've seen. And yeah, it kinda throws everything at you-- but the way they started it with a frame story within a frame story is ballsy enough that I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt w/ the whole "they know what they're doing" thing.

Aw dude, CE? Jealous. I could never have justified it anyway, but especially now I've played some and I'm feeling the buzz, I really wish I had it :(

Depending on the quality of the statue, I thought the price was reasonable. Plus the Nessacary Evil bluray and art book and all other extras. I'm a huge Batman/Joker fan though.

tim1138

People seem to like it from what I've seen. And yeah, it kinda throws everything at you-- but the way they started it with a frame story within a frame story is ballsy enough that I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt w/ the whole "they know what they're doing" thing.

It's also entirely possible I over hyped it to myself, but for whatever reason it just didn't click with me. So it goes.

ElNarez

Banned
Honestly, I was getting the impression that the common reaction was one of really liking it. It's certainly doing super well with the critics, they have me sold on it when it hits trade.

Click

Yeah, it's very much a "Setting the mood and building the world" kind of issue, which would be kinda sorta dull had it not been hella illustrated by Emma Rios. There's a lot, but it isn't huge on forward momentum so it seems more boring and pretentious than it actually is. For some reason other than the obvious one, it reminded me of the first issue of Satellite Sam, which had a similar problem in that it was too busy with descriptions of how they made television in the fifties to get characters moving to the weird, interesting places.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah, it's very much a "Setting the mood and building the world" kind of issue, which would be kinda sorta dull had it not been hella illustrated by Emma Rios. There's a lot, but it isn't huge on forward momentum so it seems more boring and pretentious than it actually is. For some reason other than the obvious one, it reminded me of the first issue of Satellite Sam, which had a similar problem in that it was too busy with descriptions of how they made television in the fifties to get characters moving to the weird, interesting places.

So SS got better? I read the first issue and thought, "wow this is poop from a butt" and haven't picked up any other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom