• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Burning down libraries?!? wth

I worked at a library, I bring all my old comics to libraries, what is even happening here.

Books are returned to libraries, libraries are supported by late fees, etc, etc.

I can't even I don't even know with this

I never said people should be torrenting comics, btw, nor do I agree with that equivalency. I simply think if someone is interested enough in wanting a free code, they should just go and buy a book.

burning libraries holy shit
But technically viewed, you dont support the Artists when a library has an book and twenty people reading it there instead of twenty people buying it.

Boogiepop

Even as someone who hates piracy to a pretty large degree (anime/manga seems to get super hard by it, which is a shame imo), I don't see sharing the digital codes in comics as a problem. Obviously the companies knew it would happen to some degree, and obviously there's probably some people reading entirely off of those, but there's also people trying stuff out they may not otherwise and funneling money back to the company through further purchases (and of course I'm sure a ton of those codes also go completely unused). Though selling them instead of giving them away feels just a tad scummy to me, but that's more a "this is something I'd never feel right doing" sort of thing, like flipping new consoles for profit and capitalizing on shortages. And honestly all I've seen in here is friendly sharing, and I don't think anyone in here is getting by exclusively on handouts or anything.

And in regards to games, I'd point to insane budgets requiring higher and higher sales before I'd ever point the finger at used games or even piracy as killing the industry.

I would only consider it "skeevy" if we had the same people coming in here who don't ever actually buy comics but are always trying to mooch free codes off people. I don't think we have anyone like that.

If you are somewhat interested but don't want to invest in a whole trade or putting something on your pull list, I don't see the harm in "trying out" an issue or two if someone is willing to spare a code they're not using. Granted I don't really buy weekly issues so I don't know how valid my opinion on it is. I've definitely made use of a friend's codes before to see if I like a certain book before putting the trade/HC on my order or something.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
But technically viewed, you dont support the Artists when a library has an book and twenty people reading it there instead of twenty people buying it.

What if bittorrent library

woah.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Again. Librarys are legal. Bittorrent is not.

Legality is irrelevant to me. I do three illegal things before breakfast yo. I'm interested in the ethics of it instead. Legal loopholes and all that jazz are deeply uninteresting and a concern for boring people who read bad comics and have terrible sexlives.

The question is: do you pay artists for their art, yes or no?

My point being, we (as a culture) have become somewhat used to certain things being "payment to artist optional". I think if you are paying money it should go to the artist/publisher, not some dude on neoGAF. Or be honest with yourself (maybe not in here, could get a bit lynchy) that you feel not all art is worth your money and act accordingly.

I'd rather people but digital codes off eBay than torrents. At least you are funding a consumer who is willing to go to a B&M store to get more comics the next week. Telling people to torrent shit is lazy and stupid.

Omg, this thread. I can't. I just can't.

Let's start burning libraries down guys, a book borrowed is one less book bought. Or how about we start crucifying trade waiters and digital comic buyers? I mean, according to some creators, we're part of the problem of why their comic failed.

Seriously? And let's talk about how the idea of torrenting a comic is better then getting a digital code from a friend or buying it off eBay. Do you truly expect someone who torrented the comic to just delete it off their hard drive after they're done with it? I mean, c'mon.

I have given out digital codes in here, received them from others, shipped out paperbacks, etc, because I consider most of you friends, and this is exactly the same thing I would do if you were standing in front of me and telling me you're wanting to try out a particular book I have access to.

This entire argument is giving me a stomach ulcer. I should have just gone back to bed after reading the last two pages.

Again Cheska speaks the truth. It's same argument used against used games and it's bullshit anti-consumerism.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Legality is irrelevant to me. I do three illegal things before breakfast yo. I'm interested in the ethics of it instead. Legal loopholes and all that jazz are deeply uninteresting and a concern for boring people who read bad comics and have terrible sexlives.

The question is: do you pay artists for their art, yes or no?

My point being, we (as a culture) have become somewhat used to certain things being "payment to artist optional". I think if you are paying money it should go to the artist/publisher, not some dude on neoGAF. Or be honest with yourself (maybe not in here, could get a bit lynchy) that you feel not all art is worth your money and act accordingly.

Sorry, I get really tired of writing again and again that I spend multiple hundred(!) Euros on comics every month.
Shall I post all my bills?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Tone down the torrent shit Jadeye, I know you not means it like that but shit easily can got you banned.

I hope it's obvious that it's an example of an alternative way to get free comics and not an advert.

Anyway, I think I've said everything I have to say on this. You folks do what you're going to do.

tim1138

I was being facetious, and if you couldn't tell by the rest of the comments following that then I think you need more coffee this morning :p And trying to point out how silly some of these arguments are about how not buying a book and getting it through other, legal means, is frowned upon.

Obviously I knew you weren't being serious, hence the :D.

People can do whatever the hell they want with their codes, the only thing that bothers me is when Wednesday turns into a bunch of "anyone have spare codes they don't want?" posts. Find a supplier and keep it to PM.

Isn't there any comic news to talk about today?

I find begging for codes pretty tacky, the same as begging for anything else from friends and strangers thar you don't actually need, especially when it happens a lot. If people want to give them away that is something else entirely. The library comparison makes no sense at all, but maybe that's just me since I consider digital comics as a product to be vastly superior to floppies. I do think it's better to use an unused code than to torrent...that comparison doesn't make much sense to me either. Code begging isn't morally bankrupt, it's just....I dunno. Skeevy? Has anybody used the word skeevy yet?

Poor Kipp! Never done it before and kicked the hornet's nest, ha ha.

Edit: seems tim and I are pretty much on the same page.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
tbh I never even notice who is doing the begging/supplying so I could not hold it against individuals if I wanted to, I simply don't remember/care who's involved. I'm interested in the theoretical rather than the punitive.

Messi

Omg, this thread. I can't. I just can't.

Let's start burning libraries down guys, a book borrowed is one less book bought. Or how about we start crucifying trade waiters and digital comic buyers? I mean, according to some creators, we're part of the problem of why their comic failed.

Seriously? And let's talk about how the idea of torrenting a comic is better then getting a digital code from a friend or buying it off eBay. Do you truly expect someone who torrented the comic to just delete it off their hard drive after they're done with it? I mean, c'mon.

I have given out digital codes in here, received them from others, shipped out paperbacks, etc, because I consider most of you friends, and this is exactly the same thing I would do if you were standing in front of me and telling me you're wanting to try out a particular book I have access to.

This entire argument is giving me a stomach ulcer. I should have just gone back to bed after reading the last two pages.

I wanna know who Cheska has beef with. I bet it's Freeza. Or maybe it's me. Oh no.

tim1138

Gotta question for mangaGAF, what's the likelihood of Akira ever showing up on comixology? I know they've added some manga stuff but I have no idea how that licensing works, I just know I'd love to have digital copies to go with my paperbacks.

Gotta question for mangaGAF, what's the likelihood of Akira ever showing up on comixology? I know they've added some manga stuff but I have no idea how that licensing works, I just know I'd love to have digital copies to go with my paperbacks.
I don't know who published Akira in America but I think the only manga publisher on Comixology is Viz

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hey, is the 52 omnibus worth it? I want to read the entire event since I've only read it in pieces, but I just want some solid "fuck yeahs" or "fuck naws" to the overall quality of the event.

I wake up to thank Birdie for the heads-up on that Sixth Gun sale (thanks, B!) and the thread's taken another sharp turn.

My take, for what it's worth, is if the publisher's selling you a comic with a digital code inside it's yours to do with as you wish. If the buyer wants to sell the code to make his/her hard copy less expensive or pass it along to an interested party, so be it. It benefits all parties, including the creators, because there's more eyeballs on the content and today's "mooch" is tomorrow's customer. Plus, if anything, having the digital copy resold or gifted does less harm as once it's redeemed it can't be shared or sold again, unlike hard copies.

Cheska

Obviously I knew you weren't being serious, hence the :D.
LOL dammnit. There was supposed to be a hugging GIF attached to yours.

EDIT:
This one:
239982__UNOPT__safe_rainbow-dash_pinkie-pie_animated_hug_wonderbolts-academy_spoiler-s03e07.gif.gif

Btw shout outs for Cheska for being so generous. Still can't believe she sent me a copy of Batman volume 2 for free.

Anytime :)

I wanna know who Cheska has beef with. I bet it's Freeza. Or maybe it's me. Oh no.

Totes me. I'm cool with that, adversarial relationships make for better nerdfights.
Hahaha, guys, I don't have beef with anyone, not even Jedeye, who I know is the grandfather of comics in here.

I genuinely don't care where anyone gets their comics from. I know that for me personally, I spend hundreds of dollars a month on this hobby. Via weekly comics, trades/IST orders, statues, art work, etc. I have absolutely no problem admitting that I use digital codes to read some comics. This allows me to spend more money on indies, and overall just buy more stuff a week. Do I feel guilty? Honestly, not really because I know that for myself, I double dip on everything I love. I own trades for everything I have floppies/digital comics for. Sometimes even triple dip. I've given those creators money in multiple mediums.

I fucking love comics. I love this thread, and I love talking to you guys. Even when things can get a little heated, I think we just have to take the time to think about how awesome it is to have this community where we spend hours upon hours dissecting and adoring comics <3

I fucking love comics. I love this thread, and I love talking to you guys. Even when things can get a little heated, I think we just have to take the time to think about how awesome it is to have this community where we spend hours upon hours dissecting and adoring comics <3

Preach! Doesn't take a long look around the internet to know how lucky we are to have this space and this community. And of course pretty much everyone who posts in here spends exorbitant amounts of cash on comics. I think it's natural to try to bring those costs down a bit; comics are an absurdly poor return on investment. We're all insane for sticking with it into the $4-$5 era.

Anybody else here reading TMNT? I just started it over the past week and am already up to issue 9. It's not yet a great comic but I could definitely see it becoming one...the quality keeps rising. The
mouser attack
was awesome.

Anybody else here reading TMNT? I just started it over the past week and am already up to issue 9. It's not yet a great comic but I could definitely see it becoming one...the quality keeps rising. The
mouser attack
was awesome.

I read the current series. I'm one trade behind but I love it so much.

I still need to dig into the micro series despite owning all of them. Heard good things about them.

I read the current series. I'm one trade behind but I love it so much.

I still need to dig into the micro series despite owning all of them. Heard good things about them.

IDW and their micro series, I can never keep up with them. The Raph series is pretty appealing though.

Glad to hear you like the book! I'm just plowing through it. I always wanted to get into TMNT but found their older series impenetrable for the most part.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Would it be an interesting read even if I haven't read Infinite Crisis?

Final Crisis? I'll say that I don't remember shit from Infinite Crisis, but I have read a ton of Grant Morrison, and I've got a solid enough handle of the events that lead into Final Crisis, in terms of how the general DCU was at that time, and that's all I needed. It's easily my favorite event, and I couldn't stop reading it two weeks or so ago, during my reread.

I also looked up Final Crisis annotations to help enrich and fill in any gaps in my DC knowledge or any cool connections that I missed [had no clue who Anthro was, or his symbolical link to Kamandi, for example].

Also, you should definitely use the Absolute reading order--helps properly place some of the necessary side-books.
Line In the sand, Pulido or Quitely. You have to pick one.
I pick Ian Bertram:
7320106_orig.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom