• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drayco21

Uncanny Avengers is relaunching after AXIS

Feel like some people may think it's kind of spoilery, but the team is going to be:
-Scarlet Witch
-Rogue
-Captain Falcon
-Quicksilver
-The Vision
-Brother Voodoo
-Sabretooth

Remender is writing and Acuna is doing the art

Whoa,
Brother Voodoo?
I thought he was still dead. Uncanny and Axis have been great, like every other Remender book I've read, will happily look forward to picking up this relaunch.

When was the last time we saw
Brother Voodoo? Don't think I was actively reading at the time. I heard he fought Agomotto himself and apparently died trying to stop him.

According to the article, it's worth noting that "No More Mutants" was not a tease for an event, but for this new Uncanny Avengers relaunch.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Is it all over? Can I come out now? Are we all friends again?

I was already having a pretty bad day, and I don't like it when my ComicsGAF family is fighting.

frye

When was the last time we saw
Brother Voodoo? Don't think I was actively reading at the time. I heard he fought Agomotto himself and apparently died trying to stop him.

I don't think he's shown up since.

Anyways, Acuna was the best artist on the book so it's cool to see he's gonna draw some more though i will kinda miss
Sunfire

I haven't started reading Black Widow yet, but I just found this which is damn amazing.

Black-Widow-6-INT.png

mostly baseless UA speculation

I like to think Havok and The Wasp somehow got their baby back, or went to some dimension where their baby still exists and retired there, and thats why they're not on the team anymore. Or, since this is a Remender book, they died together

Steve is old, Logan is dead, Wonder Man is probably still inside Rogue ala Carol Denvers, Sunfire went all AoA power level and zoomed off, and Thor isn't even Thor anymore and he's got his own shit to worry about.

mostly baseless UA speculation

I like to think Havok and The Wasp somehow got their baby back, or went to some dimension where their baby still exists and retired there, and thats why they're not on the team anymore. Or, since this is a Remender book, they died together

Steve is old, Logan is dead, Wonder Man is probably still inside Rogue ala Carol Denvers, Sunfire went all AoA power level and zoomed off, and Thor isn't even Thor anymore and he's got his own shit to worry about.

Nah
they live on Attalan in cuz their all inhumans now .

Cetra

Anyway, digital comics are farE to overpriced. They coast almost 4$ in the Store, the same price as the physical copy. Why should I pay the same price, when they arent printed, shipped and no comicshop wants it cut from the price? This isnt a specific thing for comics, its the same with games and VoD. I dont see why I should pay the same when the publisher has far lower costs. Thats why I am consume all my medias physical and I will do this as long as I will be able to.

I don't think they're overpriced at all. Sure, they aren't printed, shipped, etc. But they are convenient as hell. And I'm all about it. I'd much rather be able to load up my iPad with a few complete runs and carry that in my backpack all day than rather than a 5-10 TPBs. So I don't mind paying cover price for digital comics. They're mad convenient for me. Some really good runs I'll snag the TPB for, but those are pretty rare. The Dark Knight Returns, All-Star Superman, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, to name a few.

I do agree on VoD purchases. They rarely have all the bonus features for the content of the digital versus the physical is not one-to-one. That I have a problem with. Luckily though comics are, and that convenience is worth it to me.

Kipp

Hey guys, are there more books of just comics art similar to The Art of Hellboy and Hellboy: The First 20 Years? Basically a book full of prints by a comics artist. Not an Artist Edition where it just shows you the pencils for whatever comic and not an artist showcase sort of deal like Quitely's recent hardcover, but a book that's just a collection of prints and stuff like that.
I'd really like to add more of those to my collection if they exist. I'm loving Hellboy: The First 20 Years so much. I'm pretty tempted to pick up The Art of Hellboy for like $60 on Ebay... But if I'm gonna spend that much, I'd rather get the Mignola Artist Edition first (which I definitely plan to get, but I need to get caught up to Hellboy in Hell before I get the Artist Edition).

Hey guys, are there more books of just comics art similar to The Art of Hellboy and Hellboy: The First 20 Years? Basically a book full of prints by a comics artist. Not an Artist Edition where it just shows you the pencils for whatever comic and not an artist showcase sort of deal like Quitely's recent hardcover, but a book that's just a collection of prints and stuff like that.
I'd really like to add more of those to my collection if they exist. I'm loving Hellboy: The First 20 Years so much. I'm pretty tempted to pick up The Art of Hellboy for like $60 on Ebay... But if I'm gonna spend that much, I'd rather get the Mignola Artist Edition first (which I definitely plan to get, but I need to get caught up to Hellboy in Hell before I get the Artist Edition).

Not exclusively prints, but I really liked The Art of Amanda Conner. It's full of covers, panels, sketches, etc. with a lot of quotes and things from her.

Messi

For me digital books are not overpriced. My local store charges above cover for books so a $3.99 Batman book is €4.75 or €4.99. Or image titles are priced on popularity Saga is €3.75 when it's cover is $3.50 in the USA right? It's a rip off and it's done because they know they are one of the few people in the area providing comics. Digital allows me to buy books at cover price.

Cover Run by Adam Hughes

tim1138

I bought a copy of Ryan Browne's sketchbook and it's as glorious as I hoped it would be.

Kipp

Not exclusively prints, but I really liked The Art of Amanda Conner. It's full of covers, panels, sketches, etc. with a lot of quotes and things from her.

Cover Run by Adam Hughes

Okay, you two are both going to hate me, but I'm not a huge fan of either Hughes or Conner...
Thanks for the answers though! I wasn't aware that either of those existed. Even though I won't be picking them up, I'm glad more of these types of books exist.

I bought a copy of Ryan Browne's sketchbook and it's as glorious as I hoped it would be.

Ooh. I might be interested in getting one of those. Is it just one of the standard tiny little sketchbook pamphlet things that most artists sell?

For me digital books are not overpriced. My local store charges above cover for books so a $3.99 Batman book is €4.75 or €4.99. Or image titles are priced on popularity Saga is €3.75 when it's cover is $3.50 in the USA right? It's a rip off and it's done because they know they are one of the few people in the area providing comics. Digital allows me to buy books at cover price.

Cover Run by Adam Hughes

At the other end of the spectrum, my shop has 2 other stores competing in the area and I get 3.99 books for 3.39.

Messi

Okay, you two are both going to hate me, but I'm not a huge fan of either Hughes or Conner...
Thanks for the answers though! I wasn't aware that either of those existed. Even though I won't be picking them up, I'm glad more of these types of books exist.

Ooh. I might be interested in getting one of those. Is it just one of the standard tiny little sketchbook pamphlet things that most artists sell?

It's OK. I am not a fan of Mignola's work as it does nothing for me. I only like his hellboy design the rest I could do without.

Oh and you are on the list now.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Uncanny Avengers is relaunching after AXIS

Feel like some people may think it's kind of spoilery, but the team is going to be:
-Scarlet Witch
-Rogue
-Captain Falcon
-Quicksilver
-The Vision
-Brother Voodoo
-Sabretooth

Remender is writing and Acuna is doing the art

Scarlet Witch is the worst. Her character is so staggeringly unlikeable and 'meh' about what she did in House of M. Like I get comic-books can't be mired in that stuff forever, but it just makes it so difficult to give a damn about her character.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Scarlet Witch is the worst. Her character is so staggeringly unlikeable and 'meh' about what she did in House of M. Like I get comic-books can't be mired in that stuff forever, but it just makes it so difficult to give a damn about her character.

maybe movie appearances could be good pr. It worked for tony stark.

Kipp

It's OK. I am not a fan of Mignola's work as it does nothing for me. I only like his hellboy design the rest I could do without.

Okay fine. We're even.

Also though, since you mentioned it, while going through the Hellboy: First 20 Years book, I have also noticed that one of my favorite things about Mignola is his Hellboy design (though even in general his art is still my all-time favorite). I still absolutely love the prints in it that don't have Hellboy in them, but the ones with Hellboy are the ones that just floor me. It was kind of weird for me to realize that, but there it is.

Much of her arc in Uncanny Avengers was all about being repentant for what she did in House of M. She was manipulated by the Apocalypse twins because they convinced her that after all the bullshit, she was the only ones that could give mutans a better future.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Much of her arc in Uncanny Avengers was all about being repentant for what she did in House of M. She was manipulated by the Apocalypse twins because they convinced her that after all the bullshit, she was the only ones that could give mutans a better future.

Really?

She was such an unrepentant cow in the first arc with her 'LOL ROGUE, GO FUCK YOURSELF' attitude that I gave up. Seemed to be the position Marvel was taking, that she was a precious flower and Cyclops, who WAS actually possessed, was pure evil.

jordisok

Anybody else here reading TMNT? I just started it over the past week and am already up to issue 9. It's not yet a great comic but I could definitely see it becoming one...the quality keeps rising. The
mouser attack
was awesome.

I read :]. It gets a LOT better from the point you're at. Even if it's in a bit of a funny place atm I think.

micro-series are generally really good, I'd recommend the 4 turtles issues for sure (the Mikey one is one of my fav issues of the current run).

I'm certain there's an Ashley Wood(s) book like this...I have seen it at Barnes a few times but only briefly looked through.

Cade

I messed up. I should've remembered that Y is reserved for cool Bryans like Cranston and Singer and not for bad ones like Wood :(. I thought I was fast enough with that edit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I hear Kipp decided Khoi Pham was a good fit for Scarlet Spider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom