• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMZ couldn't even hold my attention and that's a series of his that seems to be generally received. But I have such a love of Demo and (like you) especially Local that I will always sing that dude's praises if he never writes another good comic book for the rest of his career.

You know, I liked DMZ. I wasn't really a fan of the ending. I think that soured me on the series.

Brian wood fave 5

Demo
Local
Northlanders
That first arc of Conan
DV8 gods and monsters(dat Rebekah issacs art)

DMZ gets an Honorable mention

Brian wood also did the cover for the GTA games

fertygo

Man, I had no idea people hated Bendis's Uncanny X-Men.. Cyclops actually pretty down-to-earth and likeable in this, I thought Bendis made him even more crazier than his phoenix days or something.

Catwoman by Brubaker and Cooke is INCREDIBLE

Edit: if DC have cast Margot Robbie in the Suicide Squad movie and it's not as Harley they have fucked up.

How is this not Harley

margot-robbie-gif-3.gif

https://twitter.com/superheroreport/status/522944105567887360

Has to be.

Owzers

Up to issue 13 of Manhattan Projects now, you can tell how much Hickman enjoys writing this book, it's a nice mix of oddball shenanigans that never goes to Nextwave levels of silliness, but keeps the crazy moving. While i'm always looking for that does remind me of Nextwave, the tone of this book stands up well with concurrent issues. Random 9/10 for the series so far.

Owzers

I thought the only woman we were supposed to like around here was Olivia Wilde, what's up with this other gif, am i not in the right thread?

Fight that good fight, Z. Don't agree with you on Shalvey but Wimberly's art is just fucking incredible, and dude deserves way more love.
Prince of cats is so dope. He also did an adaptation of something wicked this way comes and he did a comic with my grimm. I've enjoyed pretty much all his work so far

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If I bought single issues, I'd be all over that WATXM issue.
I hate to pull a GAMEPROFF here, but... anyone got a digital code for that?

Every time I see one of these posts I think the same thing. Now, I'll only say this once, and it is needlessly snarky, but if I don't say it I think I might have a hernia or something:

Considering the publishers get no money from re-sold digital codes, why don't you just torrent it if you don't want to pay cover price? Torrent and delete is perhaps more ethically sound than an aftermarket digital code that you get to keep forever.

Anyway, that's that.

Finished up reading Absolute Batman and Robin last night, B&R 16 is one of the greatest issues of anything ever. The fight scenes, Robin being in awe of Bruce ("Yes Sir. I trust we can leave Pennyworth's rescue to you?" is one of the greatest Damian lines ever - as arrogant as he is, and as subserviant as he sees Alfred, it's still one of his highest priorities, it's so sweet), and then the panels where Hurt gets Joker dosed, amazing stuff.

Also (and I don't know why this didn't click before) I finally truly got what Dr Hurt was about -
he's just another form of the Omega Adapter, he's a weapon sent by Darkseid who actually attacks before Bruce is even hit by the Omega effect
. That's bloody clever. I knew who he was and everything, but that finer detail eluded me until last night.

It's still a crime that the Return of Bruce Wayne wasn't included in the Absolute Edition, that would have made it perfect (apart from having to sit through big Jeanty art)

Every time I see one of these posts I think the same thing. Now, I'll only say this once, and it is needlessly snarky, but if I don't say it I think I might have a hernia or something:

Considering the publishers get no money from re-sold digital codes, why don't you just torrent it if you don't want to pay cover price? Torrent and delete is perhaps more ethically sound than an aftermarket digital code that you get to keep forever.

Anyway, that's that.

What does publishers getting money for codes matter? When you buy a book with a digital code you aren't signing some agreement that says the code can only be redeemed to your account so it's entirely up to you as the consumer what you do with it. It'd be no different if you bought a book and you got a free physical copy of it with it.

How is torrenting more ethically sound than buying a code that the publisher already got paid for?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What does publishers getting money for codes matter? When you buy a book with a digital code you aren't signing some agreement that says the code can only be redeemed to your account so it's entirely up to you as the consumer what you do with it. It'd be no different if you bought a book and you got a free physical copy of it with it.

How is torrenting more ethically sound than buying a code that the publisher already got paid for?

When you buy new comics you are paying the publisher. The digital code system is intended so that the customer can have a 'no fuss' copy of the book. In buying this code from a private individual you are in essence denying one sale of this new book to the publisher, especially given that the original purchase is not transferred - you're essentially creating a new 'copy' of the book where there previously was one and that is definitely a lost sale. So if the publisher isn't getting paid, you may as well just torrent it and be done with it - especially if you're not keeping the CBR file afterwards - if you have a code, you now have this comic FOREVER, it's got a longer possible shelf life than a physical copy even, it's indestructible.

It's not the same as buying another 'used' product like a game or a CD, because the original purchaser still has their copy.

I've never been particularly fussed about piracy in any medium tbh - do what thou wilt - but at least be honest about it. Reselling digital codes is ethically sketchy if nothing else.

Steal it or pay the publisher IMO.

DeathyBoy

Banned
When you buy new comics you are paying the publisher. The digital code system is intended so that the customer can have a 'no fuss' copy of the book. In buying this code from a private individual you are in essence denying one sale of this new book to the publisher, especially given that the original purchase is not transferred - you're essentially creating a new 'copy' of the book where there previously was one and that is definitely a lost sale. So if the publisher isn't getting paid, you may as well just torrent it and be done with it - especially if you're not keeping the CBR file afterwards - if you have a code, you now have this comic FOREVER, it's got a longer possible shelf life than a physical copy even, it's indestructible.

It's not the same as buying another 'used' product like a game or a CD, because the original purchaser still has their copy.

I've never been particularly fussed about piracy in any medium tbh - do what thou wilt - but at least be honest about it. Reselling digital codes is ethically sketchy if nothing else.

So your logic is:

1) Selling digital codes is wrong.
2) Stealing them is wrong, but less wrong.
3) People should steal them outright rather than use a perfectly valid loophole.

And by proxy the Marvel/DC people who give out digital codes shouldn't because they're costing their companies money?

That's complete bullshit. When you make that initial purchase you are buying a physical copy of the book and a digital code in said book that creates a single digital copy of said book. Seeing as there is no contract or agreement upon purchase of said book that states if or how you have to redeem said code or makes the sale of said code illegal somehow (which they couldn't) and seeing as they don't require you to redeem said code at point of sale to your account to keep you from transferring said code then you are entirely free to do whatever you want with what you've purchased, up to and including selling that code to a third party.

There is no ethical sketchy ground. You are a consumer whom purchased a product that included multiple resellable parts and are taking advantage of your right to resell.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So your logic is:

1) Selling digital codes is wrong.
2) Stealing them is wrong, but less wrong.
3) People should steal them outright rather than use a perfectly valid loophole.

And by proxy the Marvel/DC people who give out digital codes shouldn't because they're costing their companies money?

My logic is - code begging is skeezy and you're only paying the original purchaser. So rather than code begging, just go torrent it, read it and delete it. IMO getting to keep them forever is ethically dodgy when the publisher isn't seeing a cut of that.

It's not that I think it's outright wrong, more like "who do you think you're kidding with this?" Does the need to spend some money make you feel better about it? Because it's a meaningless token exchange that the publisher or artist doesn't see a cut of.

I see it similar to music tbh (where I'm sure the majority of us have and will steal music) - say I bought the new Slow Club album on vinyl (as you all should because it's excellent). It comes with a download code. I could sell this code to a friend. But if I do, the band sees none of that money. In reality, it's just offsetting my original purchase and at the same time it's creating another copy of the album that goes to another consumer - a person who won't be paying the band at all. So in this case, the person who wants my digital code might as well just torrent the record and save their money - to the artist there's the same outcome.

this isn't rocket science folks. We live in a digital world with a sliding scale of morality.

End of the day, I'm not calling the police on anyone doing this.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't sell them, but I do offer them to friends. And if there's no takers, I'll offer them to people on my Twitter account free of charge.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I spend like over 100€ on Marvel Trades and Hardcovers every month, I dont see why I should have a bad feeling about asking GAF for a handful of codes.

I even buy the Trades from most books I got via Codes here.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's complete bullshit. When you make that initial purchase you are buying a physical copy of the book and a digital code in said book that creates a single digital copy of said book. Seeing as there is no contract or agreement upon purchase of said book that states if or how you have to redeem said code or makes the sale of said code illegal somehow (which they couldn't) and seeing as they don't require you to redeem said code at point of sale to your account to keep you from transferring said code then you are entirely free to do whatever you want with what you've purchased, up to and including selling that code to a third party.

There is no ethical sketchy ground. You are a consumer whom purchased a product that included multiple resellable parts and are taking advantage of your right to resell.

I said nothing about a contract, I'm talking about the pure, altruistic idea of "does the artist get paid for this extra copy?" the answer to which is no, they do not. Buying a digital code is not supporting comics, it's subsidizing someone else's purchases.

Your standpoint is about exploiting a loophole and that IS ethically sketchy if you believe in paying artists for their work.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't sell them, but I do offer them to friends. And if there's no takers, I'll offer them to people on my Twitter account free of charge.

tbh I find this less sketchy but it leans even more towards "why not torrent it then?"

Another key part of this is that the digital copy LASTS FOREVER. Is that fair? To get something for free that is on your account forever? Can't be lost in a fire or flood or hard drive failure or over use.

Anyway, this conversation is not only boring but you folks are getting defensive. Just know: I'm judging you :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I spend like over 100€ on Marvel Trades and Hardcovers every month, I dont see why I should have a bad feeling about asking GAF for a handful of codes.

I even buy the Trades from most books I got via Codes here.

I've been reading comics for 20 years and have spent thousands upon thousands of pounds. I think I'm owed a few years of freebies at this point, what do you reckon?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I've been reading comics for 20 years and have spent thousands upon thousands of pounds. I think I'm owed a few years of freebies at this point, what do you reckon?
I am just saying that they still get the money from me anyway.
I wouldnt buy most of the trades if I would have payed money for the single digital issues.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I am just saying that they still get the money from me anyway.
I wouldnt buy most of the trades if I would have payed money for the single digital issues.

Well that's logical, no need to buy a trade if you have paid for the single issues. So by that logic, is it OK to torrent singles if you're planning on buying the trade? Like some kind of deferred purchase?

DeathyBoy

Banned
tbh I find this less sketchy but it leans even more towards "why not torrent it then?"

Another key part of this is that the digital copy LASTS FOREVER. Is that fair? To get something for free that is on your account forever? Can't be lost in a fire or flood or hard drive failure or over use.

Anyway, this conversation is not only boring but you folks are getting defensive. Just know: I'm judging you :p

Not really defensive. I mostly just buy digital books for myself. But if I buy a print copy of something that comes with a code, I Robin Hood that shit.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Bought Forever Evil digital collection last night. Man, such a great book. Makes me wish they'd pulled a Dark Reign and kept Luthor's team together. The interplay between them is really great - shows how iconic the core DC villains are, as they're a great team but all have wildly different personalities, attitudes and goals.

And Black Adam/Sinestro really need to team up more. Their last scene together is just perfection.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would be OK with the No for Code Begging. I do this mostly, but when we come to the conslusion that we dont want to do this anymore I am ok with it. Had a bad feeling while doing this the last couple of times anyway.

Well that's logical, no need to buy a trade if you have paid for the single issues. So by that logic, is it OK to torrent singles if you're planning on buying the trade? Like some kind of deferred purchase?
No, since torrenting Issues is a illegal way to get the comics.
Digital code giveaways are legal.

I said nothing about a contract, I'm talking about the pure, altruistic idea of "does the artist get paid for this extra copy?" the answer to which is no, they do not. Buying a digital code is not supporting comics, it's subsidizing someone else's purchases.

Your standpoint is about exploiting a loophole and that IS ethically sketchy if you believe in paying artists for their work.

The "artist" got paid for the one physical, one digital copy combo that one purchased at point of sale. If someone resells that code they have deprived themselves of that digital copy, re: They don't have that copy anymore. The purchaser of the code doesn't have the physical copy, so they too are half of the original purchase short. In the US this would be a clear example of First Sale Doctrine, one has the right to resell. It's not even the fuzzy gray area of digital reselling because you aren't reselling a digital item but a physical code that becomes a digital item, ie it can't be duplicated.

Okay, here we go. I'm much happier with how this turned out.

Full size:

i6uLFeusgaIJe.png

It's a lot of fun playing around with the watercolor tool.

Nice.. very cool sir. Liking the shadows on his face. Thanks again

-

In my opinion as far as "code begging".. I think it should be perfectly fine for one of us to simply put it out there and ask if anyone wants to give up a code for a book. I'm never going to use these codes so I'm completely fine giving codes out to anyone.
I bag and board my books and take care of them so I am quite sure they'll be around plenty long enough for me.

I'd much rather give out a code so that someone else could enjoy reading a book as much as I did.
I understand that you aren't contributing to the book by not paying the publisher and what not.. but this could also lead to people really liking a book and deciding to start buying a book monthly or whatever, finding new artist and writers that they might start to follow. Idk.We're all here because we enjoy this hobby, I wanna share my enjoyment and passion anyway I can with anyone else who feels the same way.

At least we can all agree that you're a horrible person if you buy digital comics. ;)
Hahaha,, bout to start a riot in here

I remember the original Dead Space was from Warren Ellis, Antony Johnson, and Rick Remender.

And Bulletstorm is like a who's who of Remender favorites. Alcoholic protagonist with daddy issues, assassinations that come back to haunt the team in drastic ways, villain monologues, characters who break the fourth wall a bit and openly announce their cliches, etc
Never knew the back story was written by those 3. I still prefer 2 out of the trilogy and find it to be the best.
But wtf lol @ Bulletstorm revelation... it makes perfect sense when you highlight the bullet points of the story like that. Oh damn, this is just crazy!!!

Zombine

Banned
What are Margot Robbie's credentials other than being love interest X in Wolf of Wallstreet and being pretty? Her resume doesn't really set me on fire. Hair color can always be changed.

Unsurprisingly totally agree on skeeviness of code begging. It's not illegal, it's just gross avoidance of compensating the creatives who built the stuff.

How would you feel if Kipp or Rafa just toiled away for free, burning through careers with insane hours, that can cause physical harm over the long run, and with thousands of less thans scratching at the door willing to work for less or even nothing?

You want more interesting books by the big two? You want prices to stay where they are? You want great artists to stay in the medium and not just jump ship to storyboarding?

Pay for your comics.

Cheebo

Banned
What are Margot Robbie's credentials other than being love interest X in Wolf of Wallstreet and being pretty? Her resume doesn't really set me on fire. Hair color can always be changed.

I take it you have not seen Wolf of Wall Street then. She was fantastic in it and did far more than play a love interest. She was able to hold her own with Leonard DiCaprio in that and her character ended up having a lot of depth. There is a reason she is blowing up big after that movie.

Fucking eh guys!...
I just spent $73 on Amazon....
Got Blacksad HC, Blankets HC and Death of the Family Mask set.
Really looking forward to Blacksad and Blankets,, Blacksads art looks amazing, Blankets looks like itll be a very good read.

Question Gaf fam.... I actually am pretty sure I already have a HC copy of Death of the Family :/ (want/need the mask for Halloween)
Does anyone one wanna do some sort of TPB swap or something ?

Zombine

Banned
Anyone who is considering Blacksad for a purchase should just add all 3 books to their cart when they pick it up. You're going to want to continue reading asap.

Messi

That already happened. He was pock3tmonster, but then he realized that he wouldn't be the top poster by as significant of a margin if he posted with two accounts.

But seriously, what happened with pock3tmonster? He/she was posting even more than Messi for the first week of this thread, then just dropped off the grid.

I had him dealt with. He got too close to the fire.

It takes a lot of effort to post as much as Messi does. I'd probably burn out too.

It's not as easy or as glamorous as I make it seem.

I thought the only woman we were supposed to like around here was Olivia Wilde, what's up with this other gif, am i not in the right thread?

Messi posting non-Olivia gifs? WAT?

It's the rare crossover of woman who is not olivia wilde and woman being cast as Harley Quinn. Now if it was me I would cast Olivia Wilde but maybe it's for the best that I am not in charge.

Pretty sure they won't cast Olivia in any superhero movie now. She'd likely turn it down even though she was essentially a superhero in Tron Legacy. She was wonderful in that movie. Easily the best thing about it.

Messi has no power over us!

Oh but I do.

Unsurprisingly totally agree on skeeviness of code begging. It's not illegal, it's just gross avoidance of compensating the creatives who built the stuff.

How would you feel if Kipp or Rafa just toiled away for free, burning through careers with insane hours, that can cause physical harm over the long run, and with thousands of less thans scratching at the door willing to work for less or even nothing?

You want more interesting books by the big two? You want prices to stay where they are? You want great artists to stay in the medium and not just jump ship to storyboarding?

Pay for your comics.

I didn't realize that Marvel was required to include the code in the book. Wanna "fix" the "problem"? Don't include a digital code.

If I resell my physical copies the original artists aren't compensated either, nor should they be, since they we're compensated during the original sale, and the same thing applies to a physical/digital combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom