• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
yeah years ago, on some old ass 2000AD (re)prints. Would be nice to have a good hardcover after so many years.

Was it as good as you'd expect from a Morrison book? Or was it the sort of thing where it was pretty obvious that he was still growing as a writer?

I hope Zenith shows up on IST, hearing that it's already sold out or something.

It should since it's on CheapGraphicNovels.
Also, I think it's just the limited edition hardcover that's sold out. This version coming out next week is supposed to be the more mass-produced version.

WTF did I just look up!?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Surprisingly, I'm not shocked. Weird.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Better clear your internet histories.

Omg

I really dig the art. Doesn't look like the house style at all. I don't want to read it as I will spoil the start of the issue for me come Wednesday. But those that have read it is it decent?

Selina rockin' dat power suit.

Kipp

Omg

I really dig the art. Doesn't look like the house style at all. I don't want to read it as I will spoil the start of the issue for me come Wednesday. But those that have read it is it decent?

Oh man. That art is really great.
The writing seems to be pretty decent from the preview.

Boogiepop

Prison School is one of those books you don't want anyone else to see you reading. It's very lewd.

I actually haven't read any Prison School before (stick to the legal channels, plus I'm lagging behind the curve most of the time anyway). Though I am reading Tenjo Tenge right now, and THAT is definitely something I wouldn't want to have to explain to someone looking over my shoulder. It's not as good as Air Gear but it's still awesome, but damn is it ever filled with (oftentimes incredibly inappropriate) nudity, plus a crapload of rape and stuff.

Messi

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Better clear your internet histories.

Selina rockin' dat power suit.

It's pretty naughty. Yummy.

Oh man. That art is really great.
The writing seems to be pretty decent from the preview.

Oh so it's readable? Well that's a step forward at least.

I was worried about the art but this has eased my mind somewhat.

The Halloween cover for Catwoman is adorable, I didn't realize Cheska's avatar was actually a cover!

Yeah, I really like it.

Kipp

Oh so it's readable? Well that's a step forward at least.

I was worried about the art but this has eased my mind somewhat.

Yeah. I was confused about the context of it though. I'm guessing it has to do with what's going on in Batman Eternal.

I actually haven't read any Prison School before (stick to the legal channels, plus I'm lagging behind the curve most of the time anyway). Though I am reading Tenjo Tenge right now, and THAT is definitely something I wouldn't want to have to explain to someone looking over my shoulder. It's not as good as Air Gear but it's still awesome, but damn is it ever filled with (oftentimes incredibly inappropriate) nudity, plus a crapload of rape and stuff.

I haven't read Air Gear, but I'm curious about it. Anyway.....

It's a bit irritating that you admit you haven't read any of it, and then claim it has rape in it when you're looking at random panels with no context. It's got some bondage and domination / submission themes. But I've read all 140-ish chapters so far, and there's no rape.

Edit: Or were you talking about Tenge? I'm confused!

Boogiepop

I haven't read Air Gear, but I'm curious about it. Anyway.....

It's a bit irritating that you admit you haven't read any of it, and then claim it has rape in it when you're looking at random panels with no context. It's got some bondage and domination / submission themes. But I've read all 140-ish chapters so far, and there's no rape.

Edit: Or were you talking about Tenge? I'm confused!

Nonono! Tenjo Tenge! It's full of a ton of really questionable, messed up sexual stuff, mixed with some amazing fight scenes! Fortunately I feel like Oh!Great got his particular brand of crazy a lot more balanced by the time he was writing Air Gear, and as a result (plus some of the awesome creativity!) it's easily one of my favorite manga series (though Kodansha's still dragging their heels like crazy so I have yet to read the end despite it being finished for a while).

(Also, my account logged out and went all screwy, so this was way more of a pain to post than it should've been!)

Nonono! Tenjo Tenge! It's full of a ton of really questionable, messed up sexual stuff, mixed with some amazing fight scenes! Fortunately I feel like Oh!Great got his particular brand of crazy a lot more balanced by the time he was writing Air Gear, and as a result (plus some of the awesome creativity!) it's easily one of my favorite manga series (though Kodansha's still dragging their heels like crazy so I have yet to read the end despite it being finished for a while).

Yeah, I've seen the big manga volumes at the bookstore before, but they're all shrink-wrapped, so I couldn't take a peek.

I was super into manga when i was in elementary school so my aunt got me a volume of Air Gear. I was into it for a while but i was pretty shocked when suddenly, group showering. It's tame in retrospect but i still made sure i didn't read it around parents or get any more volumes lest they thought that was the content of everything i was reading that whole time. I don't even know if i ever finished that one

Card Boy

Banned
So is Marvel Unlimited worth it? It's $69 for the Plus version (-$30 off). I don't care about new stuff right away.

Is there a similar service for DC stuff?

So is Marvel Unlimited worth it? It's $69 for the Plus version (-$30 off). I don't care about new stuff right away.

If you're fine with waiting then it's definitely worth it. There's lots of complete runs on there and you still get to experience relatively recenet series.

Unfortunately DC does not offer a service like Unlimited. They really should though.

I have read waaaaay more than $69 worth of comics from MU. It's totally worth it. The lack of new stuff can be frustrating, but as a back issue service, it's top notch.

I've been a Marvelite forever, but I'd love a DC one to catch up with them. Alas, there isn't one.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't understand where the disconnect is. Would you mind explaining the "Dude, seriously?" and ":/"? I'm honestly curious what I'm missing here.

I think it was because Messi is up at 4am. That's pretty late, and a good night's sleep is important.

Nudull probably doesn't think the phrase was funny, which is completely understandable. I know Freeza meant no harm but rape is a word you have to be careful with.

Woah this is incredible work, keep at it brah.
Edit:
Yes please ;)
I'd love that, thanks!
that wallpaper is gonna dethrone my Skottie 2099.
Here you go fellas. Some small edits were made and this is a significantly larger file if y'all want to use it.
http://www.edgaruvm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/mdres.jpg

Ed, that is great. Do you have the patience to draw comics, or do you just do pieces like that?
Yeah, that Spider-Gwen is amazing man. Please tell me you're looking to get into the industry!
So, yes, I draw comics. Comic art is my number one passion. I'm actually a bit of a recluse when it comes to sharing my comic art, mainly because anytime I'm thinking about spending time sharing my work, I come to the conclusion that I rather be drawing. Its something I'm trying to break out of. And yes, I would love to get into the industry as a professional. However, it is notoriously difficult to get into it, so I'm hoping something breaks my way eventually. My dream is to work on Ultimate Spider-Man or have an extended run on a Spidey title.

For the past two or three years I've been working on a comic that I wrote called Rage Against the Jackal. I'm about 70 pages into it. Single piece illustrations are a piece of cake compared to a comic book page. I believe I've linked it here before, but here is everything I have so far on the comic. Click on the image to get to the pages. Please feel free to read it and give me any impressions you have.

If you'd like to see some of my other work, you can check out my tumblr page or my website.

Sorry for the giant post but I guess there's a lot to say.

That Spider-Gwen drawing is awesome.
I'm just catching up on the past 5-6 issues of Magneto and it's just wonderful stuff. Making me really like Magneto as a character
Thanks, Messi. Are you talking about the Bunn Magneto series? I just got the first trade and I have to say I really like Bunn's take on the character. Good dramatic stuff.

I'm just repeating what everyone else has said, but really, this is incredible. You do fantastic work.
Muchas gracias, Senor Kipp

Nudull

Banned
I'm not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't understand where the disconnect is. Would you mind explaining the "Dude, seriously?" and ":/"? I'm honestly curious what I'm missing here.

Pretty sure I don't need to explain anything beyond "unfunny rape comment."

Nudull probably doesn't think the phrase was funny, which is completely understandable. I know Freeza meant no harm but rape is a word you have to be careful with.

I know, I know. It was one of those off-hand jokes I always make in my head when following a train of thought. They just pop in randomly.

So, yes, I draw comics. Comic art is my number one passion. I'm actually a bit of a recluse when it comes to sharing my comic art, mainly because anytime I'm thinking about spending time sharing my work, I come to the conclusion that I rather be drawing. Its something I'm trying to break out of. And yes, I would love to get into the industry as a professional. However, it is notoriously difficult to get into it, so I'm hoping something breaks my way eventually. My dream is to work on Ultimate Spider-Man or have an extended run on a Spidey title.

For the past two or three years I've been working on a comic that I wrote called Rage Against the Jackal. I'm about 70 pages into it. Single piece illustrations are a piece of cake compared to a comic book page. I believe I've linked it here before, but here is everything I have so far on the comic. Click on the image to get to the pages. Please feel free to read it and give me any impressions you have.

If you'd like to see some of my other work, you can check out my tumblr page or my website.

Sorry for the giant post but I guess there's a lot to say.
Oh man that's awesome! I'll definitely check it out tomorrow.

Followed you on tumblr btw. I asked if anyone was on there before and only one person ever responded... lol

Oh man that's awesome! I'll definitely check it out tomorrow.

Followed you on tumblr btw. I asked if anyone was on there before and only one person ever responded... lol
I have a tumblr, buuuuut i'm unsure about sharing it to people i don't know irl. It's not LEWD or intensely personal or whatever, but basically all my other stuff is public as fuck
However, it is notoriously difficult to get into it, so

is it though

is it

i9GtPA6.jpg

Kipp

I think it was because Messi is up at 4am. That's pretty late, and a good night's sleep is important.

I sleep at 5-6am

I am a Vampire!

You monster. You go to sleep later than I wake up.

Pretty sure I don't need to explain anything beyond "unfunny rape comment."

Ah, gotcha. I guess I didn't make the connection since it was regarding fictional rape. I don't think Freeza's post was making any sort of joke about the act of rape in his post, but rather a joke about the fictional rape that's in the book. In the same way that murder in real life is awful, but fictional murder is incredibly common and doesn't even phase or offend most people (I'm not talking about heavy gore though, which I'm personally not a fan of), I guess I don't see where the harm is. Now, I'm not saying I like rape in my comics or fiction or whatever (and I definitely plan to avoid the sexually explicit manga that were mentioned because it's not my thing), but I am just saying that there's a difference between actual rape and fictional rape.
In essence, Freeza's joke was making a joke about the fact that a book contains fictional rape, which isn't the same as making a joke about real rape. In the same way that if he had made a joke about a book that was shrink-wrapped because it had a bunch of people getting shot and killed nobody would care, but if Freeza had made a joke about how a bunch of people got shot and killed in his neighborhood, we would all have genuine reason to be offended.
I hate posting about this because I know rape is an extremely sensitive subject and even defending fictional rape seems dirty, but since you were offended I feel like I should explain my reasoning.
Hopefully I explained that well enough... If not, I could really be shunned forever. I promise I don't like rape.
Trying to write a post about rape after having a bit to drink is like walking a tight-rope over lava. Any slightly wrong wording and this could go horribly wrong.

Oof. Now to cross my fingers and hope I didn't totally blow this explanation. I don't think I could handle two big outrages over something I said in one day.

sca2511

Not sure if posted, but... there's going to be a whole ton of Flash variants in January, celebrating Flash's 75th anniversary. It'll be of the Flash zooming by in another character's book. I'm absolutely loving it. I see Harley Quinn #14 Flash variant will be by Bruce Timm, need to put my order in for that.

Source

Freeza's joke was making a joke about the fact that a book contains fictional rape, which isn't the same as making a joke about real rape. In the same way that if he had made a joke about a book that was shrink-wrapped because it had a bunch of people getting shot and killed nobody would care, but if Freeza had made a joke about how a bunch of people got shot and killed in his neighborhood, we would all have genuine reason to be offended.

I guess this is the important part. I just typed something without thinking about it. The joke didn't have anything to do with that-which-must-not-be-named, just the shrink-wrap and keeping it all inside. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if I did.

Not sure if posted, but... there's going to be a whole ton of Flash variants in January, celebrating Flash's 75th anniversary. It'll be of the Flash zooming by in another character's book. I'm absolutely loving it. I see Harley Quinn #14 Flash variant will be by Bruce Timm, need to put my order in for that.

Those are amazing. I love every single one of them.

Owzers

AXIS #1 and #2: Every page seems very busy, even moreso than Hickman's Infinity. The art doesn't get a chance to stretch at all and the dialog doesn't carry it. Comics are a visual medium and should be memorable, but these issues are not. I demand pages that would make neat backgrounds for my tablet.

Also the ending to #2 reminded me of
Forever Evil

Nudull

Banned
Rafa 4 life brehs.

He's gonna be the next Stan Lee. Watch this space.

I'm assuming it'll be fine. Pretty much anyone is better than Nocenti. ANYONE.

I'd make a Frank Miller joke, but nah. I wouldn't wish him on anyone.

Ah, gotcha. I guess I didn't make the connection since it was regarding fictional rape. I don't think Freeza's post was making any sort of joke about the act of rape in his post, but rather a joke about the fictional rape that's in the book. In the same way that murder in real life is awful, but fictional murder barely is incredibly common and doesn't even phase most people (I'm not talking about heavy gore though, which I'm personally not a fan of), I guess I don't see where the harm is. Now, I'm not saying I like rape in my comics or fiction or whatever (and I definitely plan to avoid the sexually explicit manga that were mentioned because it's not my thing), but I am just saying that there's a difference between actual rape and fictional rape.
In essence, Freeza's joke was making a joke about the fact that a book contains fictional rape, which isn't the same as making a joke about real rape. In the same way that if he had made a joke about a book that was shrink-wrapped because it had a bunch of people getting shot and killed nobody would care, but if Freeza had made a joke about how a bunch of people got shot and killed in his neighborhood, we would all have genuine reason to be offended.
I hate posting about this because I know rape is an extremely sensitive subject and even defending fictional rape seems dirty, but since you were offended I feel like I should explain my reasoning.
Hopefully I explained that well enough... If not, I could really be shunned forever. I promise I don't like rape.
Trying to write a post about rape after having a bit to drink is like walking a tight-rope over lava. Any slightly wrong wording and this could go horribly wrong.

Oof. Now to cross my fingers and hope I didn't totally blow this explanation.

Rape isn't permanent like murder is, and considering how the portrayal of rape in fiction (comics, especially) has been so screwed up over the years and how comic fans treat it, we should probably avoid driving away or offending anyone and perpetuating negative stereotypes about our own fandoms. In fact, let's try not making light of rape of any sort, period.

It would want to as it is meant to be flash running through the mad love cover lol

I hope it's not one of the variants with the super-inflated price-tags.

I'd make a Frank Miller joke, but nah. I wouldn't wish him on anyone.

I'd feel bad. I think Miller is pretty sick at this point. There was a pic posted somewhere a few weeks back of him with Jim Lee, and I forget who else. He's not looking so good. There was a time when he was a great writer. The same can be said for Nocenti. But I guess some skills just fade over time.

Kipp

I'd feel bad. I think Miller is pretty sick at this point. There was a pic posted somewhere a few weeks back of him with Jim Lee, and I forget who else. He's not looking so good. There was a time when he was a great writer. The same can be said for Nocenti. But I guess some skills just fade over time.

I'd be the happiest man alive if he got better and came back with a comics masterpiece. Frank Miller is one of my all-time favorites.

AXIS #1 and #2: Every page seems very busy, even moreso than Hickman's Infinity. The art doesn't get a chance to stretch at all and the dialog doesn't carry it. Comics are a visual medium and should be memorable, but these issues are not. I demand pages that would make neat backgrounds for my tablet.

Also the ending to #2 reminded me of
Forever Evil

I hate Hate HATE narrow paneling and extreme close ups of character faces. It makes the book feel claustrophobic and the book being real busy only adds to that.

Adam Kubert just keeps putting out this kind of material.

I'd be the happiest man alive if he got better and came back with a comics masterpiece. Frank Miller is one of my all-time favorites.

He was amazing when he was in his prime. Before he went all Holy Terror on everyone. I bought Big Damn Sin City because I'm a fan of how good he was once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom