• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I hate Hate HATE narrow paneling and extreme close ups of character faces. It makes the book feel claustrophobic and the book being real busy only adds to that.

Adam Kubert just keeps putting out this kind of material.

i get the feeling when reading books like this that it might as well be a novel, but the story and dialog aren't good enough to be engaging on their own, so it's just a mediocre comic.

Not sure if posted, but... there's going to be a whole ton of Flash variants in January, celebrating Flash's 75th anniversary. It'll be of the Flash zooming by in another character's book. I'm absolutely loving it. I see Harley Quinn #14 Flash variant will be by Bruce Timm, need to put my order in for that.

Source

Pretty cool that they got the original artist to re-do their covers when they could, although obviously they couldn't get Bob Kane(or whoever Bob Kane decided to take credit from) for DC #122, the first Catwoman cover

122-1.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
He was amazing when he was in his prime. Before he went all Holy Terror on everyone. I bought Big Damn Sin City because I'm a fan of how good he was once.

...This reminded me that I still haven't read more than the first two stories in Big Damn Sin City. I gotta get on that eventually.
I did enjoy the two stories I read, but it was probably my least favorite Miller-in-his-prime stuff. I definitely plan to read the rest of it sometime though.
And I definitely don't regret buying Big Damn Sin City. What a book it is. And for only $50. Pretty nuts.

Nudull

Banned
I respect what Frank Miller has done for the industry, but he's always had a lot of problematic ideals embedded into his material. It was only after he went off the deep end that people started to notice. Didn't help that a lot of creators that brought about the awfulness of the 90's/early 2000's took the wrong lessons from The Dark Knight Returns (and Watchmen), which certainly didn't help him (though I don't blame him for that entirely).

And I definitely don't regret buying Big Damn Sin City. What a book it is. And for only $50. Pretty nuts.

It's also great for home defense.

I respect what Frank Miller has done for the industry, but he's always had a lot of problematic ideals embedded into his material. It was only after he went off the deep end that people started to notice. Didn't help that a lot of creators that brought about the awfulness of the 90's/early 2000's took the wrong lessons from The Dark Knight Returns (and Watchmen), which certainly didn't help him (though I don't blame him for that entirely).

I think his ideas have just gotten more..... extreme with age. I remember when news came out of how anti-gay Orson Scott Card is. I didn't enjoy novels of his any less because of his views, it just made me dislike him somewhat as a person. Ender's Game (and the direct sequel, Ender in Exile) are still among the greatest sci-fi I've ever read. I think the tricky part for some writers is to write good material without trying to convey their own political views to the audience. Miller seems to have hit that point where he just doesn't give a fuck.

frye

Being a rando and a great cartoonist pretty much go hand in hand tbh

Comics make people crazy.

Tizoc

Was it as good as you'd expect from a Morrison book? Or was it the sort of thing where it was pretty obvious that he was still growing as a writer?

It should since it's on CheapGraphicNovels.
Also, I think it's just the limited edition hardcover that's sold out. This version coming out next week is supposed to be the more mass-produced version.

Do CGN ship worldwide? Cuz I FINALLY found the book I've been looking for:
https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/i-cant-believe-its-not-the-justice-league-tp.html

Boogiepop

MangaGAF crosses over in here as well. Why don't we just combine them all and limit ourselves to strict discussion of only Eyeshield 21, Free!, and Kuroko no Basket?

I'd be down with that, as Eyeshield 21 is another one of my favorites, even though I'm really, really not a sports fan. Also, can we add Hajime no Ippo?

ElNarez

Banned

I feel like Sin City was where it all went wrong, because it was when Frank Miller being encouraged to dive deeper and deeper into self-parody, which then led to everything up to Holy Terror.

(Also, can't believe you guys were talking about hentai and somehow I didn't jump in)

Tizoc

Speaking of Battle Chasers, was there any reason behind Joe Mad taking 4 years just to publish 9 issues? Did it have to do with his non-comic book work or family reasons?

Nudull

Banned
Speaking of Battle Chasers, was there any reason behind Joe Mad taking 4 years just to publish 9 issues? Did it have to do with his non-comic book work or family reasons?

I believe he was just really lazy and would just dick around at the Image offices.

That sounds like Joe Mad alright. It's like it takes him two weeks per page or something.

Zombine

Banned

That's because he's a right wing nutjob who thinks calling women "whores" is edgy. He was a talent in the 80s-90s, but at this point his schtick is tiring. I read his work as great period pieces and that's about it.

Owzers

Afterlife with Archie is on sale at comixology, read the first issue before and thought it was great, time to buy the other 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom