• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Do CGN ship worldwide? Cuz I FINALLY found the book I've been looking for:
https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/i-cant-believe-its-not-the-justice-league-tp.html

That book is actually out of stock. The button where the "Add to Cart" button should be is "Add to Wishlist" and it says "Out of Stock" in a small font next to it. CGN is tricky like that. I've gotten excited about finding books there that I can't find anywhere else only to realize that they're actually out of stock and CGN just decided to keep the book up on their website to tease people.

I don't know if this is actually funny or its just a little late at night, but I just whipped this up and thought I'd share

That's pretty great. And I especially love that art. It reminds me of the animated series art. Really cool stuff.

Good day at the zoo Kipp? Been meaning to get back there, was supposed to go two weeks ago.

Yeah, it was! It was actually the Wild Animal Park. Or, uh, the San Diego Zoo Safari Park as I guess it's called now. I hadn't been for something like 10 years and my friend from work had one of the passes where you get someone else in for free with you, so I was more than happy to tag along.
It was just a very nice place to be. I enjoyed it a lot.
Birds are one of my favorite things to take pictures of, so I brought my camera along and did some of that, which was a lot of fun too. It felt like cheating having all these crazy-looking birds all around me in plain view in the aviaries when I'm used to waiting 10 minutes for a tiny not-even-very-impressive-looking bird to come out of the reeds at the Buena Vista Lagoon so I can get a photo of it. Haha
Also, there was this Bonsai tree garden which I thought was pretty great.

Zombine

Banned
Kipp it sounds like you take pleasure in the small things in life and that's awesome! I think everyone should take the time to admire nature. Glad you had fun!

Messi

Her character in Tron is pretty badass looking. Not gonna lie.

olivia_wilde_tron_legacy_2010-normal.jpg

Quorra is my true waifu

Messi

I'd like non-phoned in comic from Marvel, please.

About Quorra? Absolutely. But they waited too long for a sequel even a comic is too late now. I would be curious if she would still do a sequel if they offered. They wrote a script for a sequel focusing on her but it seems Disney isn't all to pushed on going forward.

Got around to reading Gotham Academy #1 today. I had really low expectations from the previews, but the positive impressions here led me to pick it up. It seems like a good start. I like the art style too. Like others, I'm glad DC is starting to branch out from the unified house style.

Messi

Its the JEEEEEEEAAAAANNNN that slays me everytime.

I started reading Uncanny Avengers so can keep reading the solo Magneto book and I'm not sure if I like this. :(

Rogue tho.

Kipp

I have the biggest comics dilemma right now. I really, really want to start Preacher, but I'm in the middle of reading Criminal and I also only have volumes 1-3 of Preacher and don't plan to buy 4-6 until volume 6 comes out two Tuesdays from now. So it'd be over two weeks before I'd have volume 4, and I'm pretty certain I'd get through 1-3 in less than two weeks, so I'd be forced to take a break from the series which does not sound good.
What do I doooo.
I really ought to have a more complicated life. All of my biggest problems and decisions are comics-related.

Messi

My big Marvel week continues to rumble on. I think I am one or two books away from being fully caught up on all the Marvel books I read. I really enjoy the more upbeat tone of Marvel books over DC's grimdark style.

Oh and Kamala is lovely.

is it though

is it
legit lol'd
I mean, sometimes, I wonder... I'll look at some terrible art in a comic and wonder how I'm not getting paid to make comics. Then I wonder if I really am as good as I think I am or if its just my perception that I am good and in reality I am actually crazy person and I am actually Khoi Pham.
Oh man that's awesome! I'll definitely check it out tomorrow.

Followed you on tumblr btw. I asked if anyone was on there before and only one person ever responded... lol
Thanks, yeah, I really like tumblr. You can find really great pieces of work very easily. I must have missed the post asking if anyone else was on tumblr.

Thanks!
You just replaced Declan Shalvey as my wallpaper so I hope you know how big that is. :p
I will definitely be giving your work a read over real soon.
Thank you, displacing Shalvey for wallpaper on a tablet is actually a career milestone for me!

Ed, gorgeous work man. Thanks for the higher-res image. She's beeyotifull :*)
I look forward to perusing your work this weekend!
XD

That's pretty brilliant, actually.
That's pretty great. And I especially love that art. It reminds me of the animated series art. Really cool stuff.
Thanks, y'all, the shots are directly taken from the opening intro of Batman: TAS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A71i0a5x-qA

So, uh. Where do I place my money to get this?
I've sent you a PM in case you were serious and not just being nice :)

Zombine

Banned
legit lol'd
I mean, sometimes, I wonder... I'll look at some terrible art in a comic and wonder how I'm not getting paid to make comics. Then I wonder if I really am as good as I think I am or if its just my perception that I am good and in reality I am actually crazy person and I am actually Khoi Pham.

Real talk for a moment. Your original work is pretty stellar. You have a beyond amazing foundation, you just need an inker/colorist to compliment your work. Also, a writer.

You are one piece to an amazing puzzle, you just need talent to fill in the blanks.

5 days and 14 hours of playtime on Destiny and I think it's finally starting to wear on me. That's impressive. That's $0.45 per hour of entertainment. My mind is more dominant now toward my $10-15 dollar an hour hobby...comics.

As always, I have to draw attention to the fact that all the bullet casings are literally the exact same damn drawing copied and rotated to various sizes

Kipp

Real talk for a moment. Your original work is pretty stellar. You have a beyond amazing foundation, you just need an inker/colorist to compliment your work. Also, a writer.

You are one piece to an amazing puzzle, you just need talent to fill in the blanks.

Seconded. If you could find someone to color your stuff that has a really simple, understated sort style (sort of like Laura Allred or how Mike Mignola's art is colored), it could be incredible. But even without a colorist or inker, it's clear that you've got some great talent.

Also, I'm pretty sure Ed has officially replaced me and Rafa in ComicsGAF as future comics superstar, and I'm not even mad (mostly because Ed actually has a realistic shot at this). Haha

I've sent you a PM in case you were serious and not just being nice :)

Out of curiosity, have you read Morrison's Doom Patrol? If you have, I might be interested in getting a commission from you, if you're up for it.

Kipp

Oh, and regarding my comics reading dilemma, I compromised and decided to re-read just the first issue or Preacher right now then continue on with Criminal. Mostly because I don't like reading a book when I'm already in the middle of a different book. It's like that book that I interrupted is constantly in the back of my mind.
But anyways, Preacher is even better than I remembered it, and I remember totally loving it. I was already super excited to re-read it, but now I'm overjoyed that I'm going to re-read it soon.

Also, Ennis's foreword is hilarious.

5 days and 14 hours of playtime on Destiny and I think it's finally starting to wear on me. That's impressive. That's $0.45 per hour of entertainment. My mind is more dominant now toward my $10-15 dollar an hour hobby...comics.

This is why it's nice to be a trade-waiter. Comics is probably a $5 an hour hobby for me, and that's if I don't count re-reads or the potential for selling the books I've read. And generally I'll either re-read a book eventually or sell it eventually.

ComicsGAF, recommend me some good Doctor Strange stuff, besides Hickman's New Avengers.

general periods:

Doctor Strange, Lee/Ditko, 1963-65
Doctor Strange, Steve Englehart/Gene Colon, 1974-76
Doctor Strange, Roger Stern/(a bunch of great artists like Paul Smith, Marshall Rogers, Mike Mignola, Michael Golden, etc)

Also, Doctor Strange: The Oath by BKV/Marcos Martin, What Is It That Disturbs You, Steven? by Andreyko/P. Craig Russell and Defenders #4 by Fraction/Lark

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Doctor Strange: The Oath
What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen?
Dr. Strange: Strange Tales
The Doctor Is Out

It's a shame that a lot of his stories aren't collected in trades.

I hope they collect a good bundle of his best storys when the Movie is about to come out.

I just read the first trade yesterday and I'm about to start on the second. So far I've really enjoyed it. Did you like it at all in the beginning?

Yeah. I just hate both Marko and Alana. They're awful people and not in an interesting way.

You don't though. They would just fuck it up now and then you would be pissed off with them.
I know, I know. Even Terry Moore couldn't make it work.

sca2511

And we still haven't played together

Zombine

Banned
Man I caught so much shade for explaining why I thought Saga was garbage, and now people are like "yeah it's a pretty crappy BKV book" and they just nod in agreement. I'm glad to see I'm not exactly in the minority anymore.

Weiss

Banned
So I read the first trade of Bendis' Uncanny run and I liked it a fair bit. The new mutants are pretty cool, Cyclops is a major badass, and the issue about Illyana in Limbo was freaking gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom