• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Isn't it just Valkyrie? Pretty sure Thorita is just Valkyrie.

I doubt we will get anyone new because that would undermine Angela.

Then fans overuse the term, and Axel Alonso goes apeshit at a con panel about it and threatens to have her called Thirl.

All according to keikaku....

And the tantrum gets 400,000 views on youtube and spawns three dozen massive blog posts

As you say....all according to keikaku

Isn't it just Valkyrie? Pretty sure Thorita is just Valkyrie.

I can't decide if this would be satisfying or not, because it's the easy answer. All in how they sell it, I guess.

It's because books like New Warriors and Fearless Defenders, those that have diversity front and center, tend not to sell because they aren't as recognized as the bigger players. As such, people don't want to buy them becauce they're not Avengers/X-Men/Spider-Man, etc.

But then you have people like me and Messi that tend to gravitate toward books based on lesser-known and second / third-string characters. I feel that the characters with the least history have the most potential for interesting stories.

I'm pretty sure the new Thor is Gwen Stacy's clone!

Omg that would be amazing.

Everything is an empty corporate move, to an extent. Nothing is done at these big companies without thinking about how much dolla dolla it's going to bring in. These companies are aware of the pressures that are being applied to them by people that want more diversity (and they're right to want it) and they're going to try and draw people in to a hobby with an aging demographic.

Well, yeah. It's a business most of all. But I do think that on the creative side of things, they really do want people to enjoy the books they put out.

All I know is that New Warriors getting cancelled at issue number 12 is a crime

It is. It's probably my fault. I dropped it after issue three or four. Sorry.

Nudull

Banned
I just comfy calling her Thor. People have taken up the name and mantle of gods in all sorts of fiction since the dawn of time (even when said gods die), so it's not that difficult to grasp. Plus, gendered nicknames are a bit dumb.

And the tantrum gets 400,000 views on youtube and spawns three dozen massive blog posts

As you say....all according to keikaku,

10 Ways Thirl Can Be Part of the Marvel CInematic Universe (Newsarama)

Thirl is Awesome, Claims Actor Who Played A Talking Hotdog on Power Rangers Super Megaforce (ComicsAlliance)

How Thirl Relates to the DC Band-Aid, We Informed You of This At A Previous Juncture (Bleeding Cool)

Axel-In-Charge: IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH (CBR)

I just comfy calling her Thor. People have taken up and name of mantle of gods in all sorts of fiction since the dawn of time (even when said gods die), so it's not that difficult to grasp. Plus, gendered nicknames are a bit dumb.

Is Glor a gendered nickname? Gwen + clone + Thor.

Naturally, it only works if this most excellent theory pans out

10 Ways Thirl Can Be Part of the Marvel CInematic Universe (Newsarama)

Thirl is Awesome, Claims Actor Who Played A Talking Hotdog on Power Rangers Super Megaforce (ComicsAlliance)

How Thirl Relates to the DC Band-Aid, We Informed You of This At A Previous Juncture (Bleeding Cool)

Axel-In-Charge: IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH (CBR)

Ha ha ha ha, this is excellent

I just comfy calling her Thor. People have taken up and name of mantle of gods in all sorts of fiction since the dawn of time (even when said gods die), so it's not that difficult to grasp. Plus, gendered nicknames are a bit dumb.

Right. I think of Thor the way I think of the Endless from Sandman. Not so much a person as the personification of an ideal.

I don't agree with you about Kamala or Miles.

Miles has his own universe to parade around, and Kamala has her own identity and comic book and her backstory as a dormant Inhuman is very interesting.

Miles exists in a universe where Peter Parker was already Spider-Man. One who died a public & heroic death. So right off the bat Miles is in Pete's shadow. Plus I guess Ultimate Pete's back now? Good luck to Miles now.

If they were serious about Miles he should've gotten his ownPeter Parker-less universe.

It's cool if you're digging Ms. Marvel, but she's already done the mandatory Wolverine & Spider-Man teamups in less than a year. That's some Speedball/Darkhawk/Dazzler level shit right there.

If it's not an editorial mandate where your next character has to be this race or gender so we can sell more books and it's down to the creative team wanting to tell interesting stories from different perspectives then I would be hesitant to label them as gimmicks, just seems undermining. Maybe I put too much faith in what writers and artists say though.

It's an editorial target. Ghost Rider, Ms. Marvel & Thor all in one go? C'mon.

I am part of the problem. I didn't read it until I saw it on the Marvel app.

Feel free to boo this man.

z5vcjyn.gif

Sif was great in JiM. I loved what they were doing with that character. I didn't buy Defenders, so I guess I am part of the problem too. I just had too many books at the time. Still do....sigh...

Beta Ray Bill's appearance in Nova was better though

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Right. I think of Thor the way I think of the Endless from Sandman. Not so much a person as the personification of an ideal.

Ehh I dont think it works with the gods the way it work with the Endless. I thought of Thor as Thor the God of Thunder in the same way that
Morpheus and Daniel are both
Dream. Its just fucking weird they used the name rather than the ready to go mantle.

Ehh I dont think it works with the gods the way it work with the Endless. I thought of Thor as Thor the God of Thunder in the same way that
Morpheus and Daniel are both
Dream. Its just fucking weird they used the name rather than the ready to go mantle.

It's not exactly the same, but it was the closest approximation I could come up with.

It was a bit like what happened to the Ultimate universe a decade later, sales tanked and most people stopped giving a shit, so they just did whatever and hoped nobody noticed. Worth it for the whole "Doom 2099 conquers the USA" arc though.

That was so fun. Now I have to run off and see if any of that is available digitally

Edit: nope. How do they have X-Men 2099 but not Doom 2099? That is insanity.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That was so fun. Now I have to run off and see if any of that is available digitally

Edit: nope. How do they have X-Men 2099 but not Doom 2099? That is insanity.

They are reprinting soon some Material. It will likely start pooping up in the App, too.

I just want Fearless Defenders back...maybe this is all a part of Marvel's keikaku...

This reminds me that I still have to pick up Vol. 2 of the Trades... Issue 12 was the last, am I right?

Drayco21

They haven't used Galacta at all outside of that one-shot, have they? That's a shame, it was an adorable book.

Nope- it's still ambiguous whether or not she even canonically exists. She seems like she could be a really fun character, especially in part of a group like Bunn's Defenders.

I wish Marvel would just let their canceled print books continue on as digital series.

I would perform horrific human sacrifice blood magic to get Yost's New Warriors back, even if it was in digital format.

fertygo

New, standard or world? I'm so far behind on his Avenger books, don't think I've even read an issue of World. This is just the news to get me back onboard.

You just gonna disappoint if caught up just because that reasoning, mofo probably on sideline again because plot reason.. you got him deliver hot ether in one issue though.

Hagi

You just gonna disappoint if caught up just because that reasoning, mofo probably on sideline again because plot reason.. you got him deliver hot ether in one issue though.

I was going to catch up eventually because of the time runs out shenanigans this just pushed it up in the queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom