• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
When I look at the head, it's as if he had an entirely different drawing planned out but then just changed it after that.

MVdvkOm.jpg

This is the best Halloween cover ever. It's Medusa cosplaying as Black Widow with a katana.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I know I'm lttp with the batman talk but this is bang on:

Well, its just nothing really noteworthy happens in that story. No new characters that stuck around, or cool villains, or big moments in Batman's life, or anything that ever gets referenced in Morrison's run, I think. Its just a pretty decent Batman story. Might as well put The Scottish Connection up there, for all its impact on the Batman mythos.

One story I would replace it with is "Dark Knight, Dark City", by Peter Milligan and Kieron Dwyer. Its a very good Batman tale, and its VERY explicitly referenced in a pretty major part of Morrison's Batman and Robin era.

Dark Knight Dark City is so key to Morrison's runs.

IMO if you want a good grasp on bat chronology, read the Year Ones - Batman (Frank Miller), Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing (all Chuck Dixon). Then maybe A Death in the Family. Add in Son of the Demon if you really need that explaining. Batman Dies at Dawn from the 50s. JLA Classified 1-3 for Knight and Squire. This along with DKDC is all you'd ever need to go into Morrison's run and then some.

Anything else is pretty much gravy and not really needed for the run. But really, who needs these things chronologically? Some stories are useful as signposts to check out other stuff. It comes naturally based on your interests.

Cade

It's too late for most of us on the figure thing... Freeza and Cheska have crazy amounts!

But really, feel free to post if you are new to thread or medium in general. We try our best to give good recommendations and advice

I'm trying to save others.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
IST updated in case nobody else mentioned it yet. Alias omnibus is go!

6K a month is the threshold to break even. So when brah's got no money the end.

Brandon Montclare (Rocket Girl writer) referred to 8,000 as "Time to think about wrapping it up" territory...but at 12,000 he and Amy Reeder are making as much as they would on a Big 2 book.

Ah, interesting. Thanks guys.

Really excited for Rumble #1 in December too. Sounds like it's going to be Conan set in a post apocalyptic USA. Kind of looks like the Fallout world.

That's definitely one of my most-anticipated Image books. Looks really cool.

frye

I know I'm lttp with the batman talk but this is bang on:

Dark Knight Dark City is so key to Morrison's runs.

IMO if you want a good grasp on bat chronology, read the Year Ones - Batman (Frank Miller), Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing (all Chuck Dixon). Then maybe A Death in the Family. Add in Son of the Demon if you really need that explaining. Batman Dies at Dawn from the 50s. JLA Classified 1-3 for Knight and Squire. This along with DKDC is all you'd ever need to go into Morrison's run and then some.

Anything else is pretty much gravy and not really needed for the run. But really, who needs these things chronologically? Some stories are useful as signposts to check out other stuff. It comes naturally based on your interests.

We can argue about the best Batman writer all day (my boring answer: Miller), but Dixon was the best on those Bat family books

Kipp

Oh, and Kipp/Rafa, I started coloring page 1 on Sunday night... I'm hoping to have it ready for both of your input this weekend.

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

I have yet to read Alias...looking forward to your impressions Kippster!

I look forward to sharing them!
But before I read that, I gotta do my highly anticipated Preacher re-read. That shouldn't take long though. I have a feeling I'll burn right through it.

Kipp

Okay guys, why is Excel not letting me do this formula thing. I just need to find matching values in two columns. This shouldn't be difficult.

And this is totally on topic.

I really want to read Starman. But they stopped the paperback collections at vol 2. Vol 3 HC is selling for $100+. :/

Same. They better reprint that one day.

so i was looking up trade pb's of the batman new 52 run since court of owls was too nice.

is vol 2-5 worth reading? i heard mixed things on death in the family. should i skip that one and go straight to zero year? should i even read that?

what i'm really asking is snyder's run on this series consistent with the beginning's quality? also i think i should finally check out whedon's xmen. whedon is just...scust but i heard really good things about his comic book run.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh boy, Alien: Isolation will cost me my last nerve. I spend all my nights in lockers, trying to get where the Xeno currently is only by hearing.

Kind of by default since it's not even available digitially. XD

I really cant understand how they not just put all the .PDFs on Comixology when a Reprintbook is releasing (I have no idea if they are legally in the position to do this...)

I pre ordered the Alias omnibus. I purchased the first Alias trade from a mysterious travelling book merchant when I was in college and I'll admit it was David Mack's cover that lured me in.

SoilBreak

Banned
so i was looking up trade pb's of the batman new 52 run since court of owls was too nice.

is vol 2-5 worth reading? i heard mixed things on death in the family. should i skip that one and go straight to zero year? should i even read that?

what i'm really asking is snyder's run on this series consistent with the beginning's quality? also i think i should finally check out whedon's xmen. whedon is just...scust but i heard really good things about his comic book run.

Even though I thought death in the family was alright, it's still worth reading. Definitely read Zero year too!

tim1138

Did you read it again? I'll have to do that at some point. But I'd like to get through more of my backlog before I start rereading shit.

Yeah, I just finished up. I finished up all the novels I had checked out from the library, so it seemed like a good time to reread Infinity. I really don't have a backlog of stuff, just whatever stack of books I currently have checked out.

Kipp

What formula? You trying to use VLOOKUPs? You can learn anything in ComicsGAF.

I tried using both VLOOKUPs and IF(ISERROR(MATCH... with no success.
But then I realized I was using commas and I guess I was supposed to be using semi-colons. But the Microsoft website has commas in the examples and all the other examples online had commas. But I tried a formula with semi-colons and it worked, so whatever.
I really need to spend some time getting to know Excel though. It looks like a really great program and I've been wanting to learn it for a while.

Hey guys, can I join your clique?

Did you bring comics?

1st rule of ComicsGaf Club, if its your first night you bring comics, and let everyone else read them.
2nd rule of ComicsGaf Club you don't talk about comics outside of the Comics OT.
3rd rule of ComicsGaf Club YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT COMICS OUTSIDE OF THE COMICS OT.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"Major effort to rebrand" Vertigo in 2015

Question: Over the last five or 10 years, Vertigo has gotten smaller in terms of its creator-driven projects. Image Comics, at that same time, has been expanding. Is it a conscious strategy to reduce your emphasis on those types of products? If not, what’s your strategy to counter it?

Jim Lee: We’ve actually increased the number of periodicals, but we’ve probably reduced the total amount of Vertigo product in that we pulled back on the OGNs and other book format projects. It is a huge priority for us; it is something the company believes in very strongly.

If you look at what we’re going to do in 2015 (which I’m not at liberty to discuss at this moment), possibly first quarter next year, you’ll see that we’re going through a major effort to rebrand the imprint. That’s going to come about through the projects themselves.

We’re working on a hit list of the top creators in the business and we have some exciting news to unveil in the early part of 2015.

You just can’t rest on your laurels, especially on a creator-driven business. You don’t have the legacy of characters like Batman and Superman to draw upon. It really all comes down to the creators and the concepts that they bring to the table.

We work very closely with Geoff Johns and his group to maximize the impact of these projects, not just through publishing, but beyond through the Warner Bros. family. That’s been a part of our strategy. Stay tuned to 2015; there’s a lot of amazing things in the works.

Just a few days ago, Neil Gaiman had this to say about the Sandman adaptation not being mentioned in the big DC movie news dump: "It’s not a DC Comics film. It’s a Vertigo film. That’s a different slate of films, and a different announcement."

Not sure what exactly the rebrand might involve, but it definitely sounds like Warner Bros wants to push for even more TV and film adaptations of Vertigo books.

Kikarian

Did you bring comics?

1st rule of ComicsGaf Club, if its your first night you bring comics, and let everyone else read them.
2nd rule of ComicsGaf Club you don't talk about comics outside of the Comics OT.
3rd rule of ComicsGaf Club YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT COMICS OUTSIDE OF THE COMICS OT.
I've brought plenty
digital
ones.

I've seen many people holding off making comic-related threads in off-topic due to the havoc they create and uncultured replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom