• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yeah, the run doesn't end quite as strong as it starts, really, but it's still good. Plus what might be my favorite moment in the book and one of the best fights in comics,
Mister Sensitive vs. Iron Man
is in the back half.

Yesss. That fight is one of my favorite moments in comics. It kills me every time.

Don't worry, Kipp, I plan on reading the Dead Girl mini, probably tomorrow night. I read the last 8 or so issues in a row tonight, and was getting pretty tired by the last two. Had to take a break. But yeah, thinking about it more, the writing of the characters def felt detached in the later parts of the book. The last issue itself did nothing for me, and I think it's because of that very reason. And yes, Boogie, that fight is what stood out to me with the 8 issues I read tonight. Very cool fight.

Ah yeah, I definitely know how that is. There gets to be a point in comics reading for me where I just hit a wall and can't read any more.

Huh, that fist is the perfect size for mine

...That was unintentional, but I'll pretend it's intentional.
Also, hands are the all time worst thing to draw ever

PsychBat!

Banned
ibtUtfrM4zx1tn.png
I know the bro-fist wasn't for me but I placed my fist there anyways. My fist is smaller than the one on the screen.

where have you been all my life?

It's over now, friend. Say goodbye to your monies. Weekly 50% off deals, flat $4 shipping fee for US customers, and free shipping on orders over $50. This is literally the only place I buy graphic novels unless they don't have what I need.

Oh, and they pack your books as if they were a newborn baby.

It's over now, friend. Say goodbye to your monies. Weekly 50% off deals, flat $4 shipping fee for US customers, and free shipping on orders over $50. This is literally the only place I buy graphic novels unless they don't have what I need.

Oh, and they pack your books as if they were a newborn baby.

wow and I thought Amazon was as good as it gets

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just finished re-reading Y the Last Man. Been about 5ish years since I read it last so I had forgot a lot of the details.

Oh god, so fucking good. Has probably the best endings to any media I've ever seen, watched or listened to.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Director's Cut is actually pretty good. It feels more like a Daredevil movie should.

Still couldn't finish it, turned it off about halfway in. Seeing Affleck and Garner break into a Matrix-like fightscene in public, in the middle of the day, was too much. And NERD's Lapdance was playing with KIngpin's reveal. Ugh.

I have high hopes for the Netflix show though.

Why would you even do that? It was made abundantly clear that the Avengers and New Avengers issues are as essential to the event as the mini itself.

Did you not see this image at the back of every issue?

infinity_path.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah. I read it "properly" twice already, I just kinda wanted to see how it would pan out. And even if it didn't quite hold up that way, it was interesting to see how different the narrative flow was without the other material.

One of the central tenants we tend to push here in comicgaf - some of us, we're hardly a hivemind - is that, at the end of the day, any comic can be picked up and enjoyed free of context, and I like to poke and prod at that now and then. I love virtually everything Hickman is doing in the Marvel universe, but I think there are some flaws in this "you must read twenty issues to understand this" approach that are worth examining.

Finally...that chart? Dude, I've been looking at charts and checklists for every crossover under the sun for decades. Is this one supposed to mean more to me? This is basically an academic question - yes it does, and yes it's supposed to - but I don't think it has the discussion-ending authority you are suggesting here.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
We can argue about the best Batman writer all day (my boring answer: Miller), but Dixon was the best on those Bat family books

I think the key to Dixon being the boss was that his tone was pretty similar to the animated series. He kept it short and punchy, tried to tackle "socially relevant issues" in his own way and had a breezy family feel to his books. They're like a breath of fresh air when you go back to them.

I really want to read Starman. But they stopped the paperback collections at vol 2. Vol 3 HC is selling for $100+. :/

You should get the omnibus, it is a great series.

Oh man that's awful, publishers shouldn't be allowed to discontinue a format like that. Starman is so good, deserves to be more widely read.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Why would you even do that? It was made abundantly clear that the Avengers and New Avengers issues are as essential to the event as the mini itself.

Did you not see this image at the back of every issue?

infinity_path.jpg

Currently halfway through Infinity right now. My thoughts - you could read Infinity without Avengers and New Avengers since Infinity spends about 6 pages per issue recapping the previous issues (I can't believe they had opena literally copying panels on retrospect, bit of a waste of one of comics' best artists). But I don't think Avengers would make any sense at all, the issues are literally between scenes of Infinity. New Avengers fares a little better.

So yeah, I think you could totally just read infinity. The experience will be shallower, but you get a full story nonetheless.

So the Hawkeye HC Omnibus is out in January (it says trim size: Oversized, so that means the pages are larger or what?). I just have normal trades and HC's (ranging from 10-50$ of varying page counts) so someone tell me why 24 issues command a 100$ price tag.

ElNarez

Banned
Had a HEARTY GUFFAW at that one page of Secret Avengers. You'll know the one.

More importantly:

PAX AMERICANA NEXT MONTH.

PAX AMERICANA NEXT MONTH.

PAX.

AMERICANA.

NEXT.

MONTH.

Zombine

Banned
So the Hawkeye HC Omnibus is out in January (it says trim size: Oversized, so that means the pages are larger or what?). I just have normal trades and HC's (ranging from 10-50$ of varying page counts) so someone tell me why 24 issues command a 100$ price tag.

$100? It'll be like $60 on IST. I have a good feeling that it has less to do with Marvel trying to pull one over on you, and more to do with the fact that printing omni's isn't exactly cheap to begin with.

$100? It'll be like $60 on IST. I have a good feeling that it has less to do with Marvel trying to pull one over on you, and more to do with the fact that printing omni's isn't exactly cheap to begin with.
99.99$ is the print price and IST shipping (worldwide) would make the price around 80-90$ for me anyway (with the 40% discount from IST).

I searched about the over-sized question. Trim size refers to the size of the book.

Just added Alias HC and saw that I was charged 29$ for the cheapest shipping option. But then it's 720 pages while Hawkeye is 552.

How is their worldwide shipping? A small footnote says International Surface Air Lift (ISAL) and International Priority Airmail (IPA) do not provide tracking numbers and are not insured. ;_;

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I know the bro-fist wasn't for me but I placed my fist there anyways. My fist is smaller than the one on the screen.

Clearly you were not the chosen one.
Or you have a 27" monitor or something.
:p

What's this about DC rebranding Vertigo in 2015? The brand needs a refresh but i'm scared what DC is going to do with it/to it :( . Seems like it's been on death row ever since Karen Berger left and all the Vertigo mainstays were pulled back to the DC Universe.

http://www.newsarama.com/22513-dc-t...n-movie-part-of-a-vertigo-slate-of-films.html

I don't think it's anything to be afraid of at all. Vertigo is losing badly to Image right now and they badly needs some changes to win people back. I have a feeling part of this "rebranding" will be some new policies that benefit creators in order to entice them back to Vertigo. I'm actually looking forward to the changes.

Because I know I've been awaiting news on this for ages...

Prophet, Vol 4: Joining will finally materialize in February. New cover by James Stokoe, the pencils for which are at the link.

James Stokoe is too good.

Oversized means the pages are larger, yes. And the price tag is mostly because it's got "Omnibus" in the title. As far as page counts, go, it's way overpriced. I mean, judging by the fact that the first OHC had a MSRP of $35 and this is a little over twice as big as that, the fair price would be $75. But because of the fact that it's got "Omnibus" in the title, they decided $100 was okay, since other omnibuses (even though most omnibuses are in the 800 page range) are $100. The same thing happened with Jason Aaron's Punisher run. The omnibus was only 544 pages and the MSRP was $100.
It's one of the main reasons I'm upset that it doesn't look like we're getting a volume 2 OHC.

Except when Marvel can release a 408 page oversized hardcover for an MSRP of $35 (Fraction's Invincible Iron Man vol. 2), I get a strong feeling it's not about materials cost, but much more about milking the fact that it's an "omnibus" and things called "omnibuses" command high prices.

Messi

Hawkeye is $100 because they know they can get it from Hawkeye fans. Just like those of us who grumbled and still picked up the book after the 3.99 price hike.

how is the slott/allred silver surfer stuff?

lookin at that trade on ist and I was always interested..

also i'm getting that gotham city sirens, so excited its out

and maybe harley? (haven't read any issues but i like the team and i heard good things)

Messi

and maybe harley? (haven't read any issues but i like the team and i heard good things)

Harley is one of the best books dc puts out right now. The team are wonderful. Also doesn't the trade have like 7-8 issues. That's value. If you like Sirens pick this up. Harley and Ivy are adorable in it.

tim1138

Silver Surfer is awesome, Allred's art is perfect and Slott's writing is fantastic. It's one of my favorite Marvel books coming out, and one of a few Marvel books I buy monthly as opposed to waiting for it to hit Unlimited.

What's this about DC rebranding Vertigo in 2015? The brand needs a refresh but i'm scared what DC is going to do with it/to it :( . Seems like it's been on death row ever since Karen Berger left and all the Vertigo mainstays were pulled back to the DC Universe.

http://www.newsarama.com/22513-dc-t...n-movie-part-of-a-vertigo-slate-of-films.html
Bertigo has been going through a creative Renaissance since Karen left. She was holding creativity back those last few years.

fertygo

Man Arkham manor and this week Eternal's art is bananas..

And I'm not sure if liking recent development of Johns's Superman, art is super though.

Jetman

Deathstroke worth picking up? I like Daniels' art, but see that he's writing it too? Red flags go up when I see that...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Definitely pick Silver Surfer up. It's charming as hell, filled with great art, and has endearing ass intergalactic adventures.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just got a new iPad, comics look siiiiiick on this screen. ipad 2 is unbelievably blurry in contrast. Now to continue my Hickman reread!

The new Multiversity felt like my college life except everyone was a superhero

Interesting development in the newest Superman, gonna see where it leads

Oversized means the pages are larger, yes. And the price tag is mostly because it's got "Omnibus" in the title. As far as page counts, go, it's way overpriced. I mean, judging by the fact that the first OHC had a MSRP of $35 and this is a little over twice as big as that, the fair price would be $75. But because of the fact that it's got "Omnibus" in the title, they decided $100 was okay, since other omnibuses (even though most omnibuses are in the 800 page range) are $100. The same thing happened with Jason Aaron's Punisher run. The omnibus was only 544 pages and the MSRP was $100.
It's one of the main reasons I'm upset that it doesn't look like we're getting a volume 2 OHC.

Except when Marvel can release a 408 page oversized hardcover for an MSRP of $35 (Fraction's Invincible Iron Man vol. 2), I get a strong feeling it's not about materials cost, but much more about milking the fact that it's an "omnibus" and things called "omnibuses" command high prices.
Well, that's depressing. Thanks for going into the details of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom