• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid event month is over and DC fans have something to talk about again.

I thought people were liking that event? sort of
Comic guy laughed when he gave my books yesterday and I was like ah goddammit DC...(I forgot it was going on) a bunch of Futures something and Supergirl is in some crossover I'll never read...lol

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There was a Siege Aftermath story were Steve Rogers and Tony Stark were sucked into another dimension and had to team up, while Steve was still angry against Tony because of the Civil War. Can somebody remember what its name was?

Peter David Reveals "All-New X-Factor" Canceled With Issue #20
"No, [the comic is being canceled] because not enough people are buying it," he wrote. "Which is exactly the reason they cancelled 'Gambit' as well, so it’ll probably be a long time before he gets to star in another book.

"All I did was write a book that got tons of positive write-ups," he continued. "Which I guess is enough to encourage people to buy it when it comes out in trades, oblivious to the fact that books get cancelled when you do that."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55975

no_gif.gif

Green Arrow #35: Yep, that was a superhero comic. Every time I pick up an issue of this series since New 52 started, it always feels so by the book, like it was produced according to the superhero generator template with one of the sliders set to 'extra charity.' It wasn't bad or anything, it was just totally "yep."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Green Arrow #35: Yep, that was a superhero comic. Every time I pick up an issue of this series since New 52 started, it always feels so by the book, like it was produced according to the superhero generator template with one of the sliders set to 'extra charity.' It wasn't bad or anything, it was just totally "yep."

I thought Lemire and Sorrentino's run was damn good.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I only read one issue of that, so not sure how good it was. But yeah, you're right, it wasn't as generic. It put me off a bit because it felt like it was trying to ape the Aja hawk eye stuff Marvel was doing though.

I can 100% confirm that their Green Arrow run is not aping Hawkeye. It's really about Olly building a family amid the chaos of being a Superhero. And it's got some of the most fucking impressive and fresh art. Check it out--it's very much the opposite of that first issue of the new run.

I thought Lemire and Sorrentino's run was damn good.

Yeah it was great. I never cared much about Green Arrow before but that really was a very good run.
I can see myself buying just about anything Sorrentino puts out. Any news on what he's up to next?

I wasn't blown away by the new Green Arrow #35 :/
Sorry Korupt
. I did enjoy it,, I would probably get it if its a down week for my pull list. Just hard to stand next to Lemire and Sorrentino's run.

So, I'm gonna now be trying to get into DC's Bat-verse titles, and I need someone to help me out here, cause I think I'm way behind.

To date, the only ones I've read (in terms of the modern day comics), are Scott Snyder's Detective Comics Run, and his current Batman run (Finished the whole Zero Year arc). What are the other Batman/Gotham titles out there and how are they different from the Mainline Batman title? What differentiates them in terms of tone and story? What should I read?

So, Gotham Academy is like teen detective mystery. Arkham Manor will be horror. Grayson is espionage. What else? And what about this Forever Evil thing? What is that?

Yeah it was great. I never cared much about Green Arrow before but that really was a very good run.
I can see myself buying just about anything Sorrentino puts out. Any news on what he's up to next?

I wasn't blown away by the new Green Arrow #35 :/
Sorry Korupt
. I did enjoy it,, I would probably get it if its a down week for my pull list. Just hard to stand next to Lemire and Sorrentino's run.

It's all good man. Like I said, I liked it enough to see what they do for a few issues. The art is serviceable compared to Sorrentino's genius. But the writing was alright for a new team. Between the show and the last run, I'm just a Green Arrow fan.

Wool

I flipped through Gotham Academy at the LCS. The art looks nice, but like someone else said, it's a book about a bunch of 13 year old girls. If I buy that, the next thing I know my room is going to be full of Sailor Moon figurines.

Also, the LCS put Sandman Overture #3: Special Edition in my pull box. I would not have ever bought that book but since he was ringing it up I just kind of went with the flow. There are a bunch of passages by JH Williams III about his drawing process and stuff. It's pretty interesting, he's definitely one of my top 3 current artists.

Messi

I flipped through Gotham Academy at the LCS. The art looks nice, but like someone else said, it's a book about a bunch of 13 year old girls. If I buy that, the next thing I know my room is going to be full of Sailor Moon figurines.

Also, the LCS put Sandman Overture #3: Special Edition in my pull box. I would not have ever bought that book but since he was ringing it up I just kind of went with the flow. There are a bunch of passages by JH Williams III about his drawing process and stuff. It's pretty interesting, he's definitely one of my top 3 current artists.

Ouch

That one stung.

You say that like it's a bad thing

Wool

Ouch

That one stung.

lol I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I've got respect for anyone comfortable enough with themselves to have that kind of stuff and not give a fuck. I'm embarrassed enough buying Satellite Sam.

It's Friday night and I have half a mind to tell my friends to go on to dinner without me, I have to finish reading The Incal.

But it's Korean BBQ. That always comes first.

arkon

Can I assume all of the people who are buying Klarion will also be giving new Catwoman the same courtesy?

Why would you assume that?

I'm not really interested in reading a Catwoman series so Klarion already has the edge there. I've also got no experience with anything Nocenti has written so I probably won't jump onboard unless there's some positive write-ups of the first issue.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, I've barely read anything the past week because I can't decide what series to read next.
I also just resumed my rewatch of The Wire and started rereading one of my favorite books, so comics might hit the backburner if that keeps up... I don't like that. I feel like I owe comics more alone time.

I'm assuming the thread doesn't usually move this fast?

Well, I just took a look at last month's thread and I guess we hit a thousand posts in four days there, so I guess this isn't that much crazier, but it is a fact that we're getting more and more posts in this thread all the time. Every thread ends up with a higher post count than the last. It's awesome.

Well, I just took a look at last month's thread and I guess we hit a thousand posts in four days there, so I guess this isn't that much crazier, but it is a fact that we're getting more and more posts in this thread all the time. Every thread ends up with a higher post count than the last. It's awesome.

It's definitely something to be happy about. I've been a longtime lurker, but with greater books releasing in greater numbers, I've decided it'd be almost criminal not to participate in discussion. It helps that Comics GAF is one of the most open communities.

ReAxion

as I did before, I'm going to bump the thread back to the first page by recommending something from my digital library I haven't thought about in awhile, or have been thinking about and not posted about, or something like that.

this isn't one of those times, tho.

Put in my IST order.
This is what I got.
BATMAN BEYOND HUSH BEYOND TP $8.69 1 $8.69
FATALE TP VOL 01 DEATH CHASES ME (MR) $8.69 1 $8.69
SCOTT PILGRIM COLOR HC VOL 02 (OF 6) $17.49 1 $17.49
SHAZAM MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL DELUXE HC $17.39 1 $17.39
SHAZAM TP (N52) $9.85 1 $9.85

haven't ordered anything from them since May,,, crazy.
pock3tmonster.. I plan on getting Batwoman. Just didn't make the cut.

No problem, there's always next time. I see you added Johns' Shazam though, it's so good. I looked forward to the Shazam backups often more than Johns' Justice League itself. DC needs to hurry up and announce a Shazam on-going already. Or Cyborg.

Messi

as I did before, I'm going to bump the thread back to the first page by recommending something from my digital library I haven't thought about in awhile, or have been thinking about and not posted about, or something like that.

this isn't one of those times, tho.

Batgirl year one. Hop on it if you haven't. Best Batgirl story I've ever read. Incredible art too.

Batgirl year one. Hop on it if you haven't. Best Batgirl story I've ever read. Incredible art too.

I was going to buy it during the Babs Comixology sale, but then I discovered the tpb including the Robin Year One issues was only $14 at Amazon. I checked out immediately. Cannot wait for that package to arrive.

Messi

I was going to buy it during the Babs Comixology sale, but then I discovered the tpb including the Robin Year One issues was only $14 at Amazon. I checked out immediately. Cannot wait for that package to arrive.

That was a solid move, both stories are great.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm gonna buy Grayson, with all the positive impressions I keep hearing. I am a big fan of Richard (you're not tricking me into innuendo!)

I'm announcing today that Kipp and I are holding the line at 2.99.

What about foil covers or upped page counts, brah? And Tom Brevoort told me that $3.99 is the only way you can save low-selling books.

Messi, please get Harley Quinn under control:

SEPTEMBER TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS

1 DEATH OF WOLVERINE #1
2 DEATH OF WOLVERINE #2
3 BATMAN: FUTURES END #1
4 HARLEY QUINN: FUTURES END #1
5 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6
6 JUSTICE LEAGUE: FUTURES END #1
7 ORIGINAL SIN #8
8 DETECTIVE COMICS: FUTURES END #1
9 JUSTICE LEAGUE #33
10 BATMAN/SUPERMAN: FUTURES END #1

via Bleeding Cool

Messi, please get Harley Quinn under control:

SEPTEMBER TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS

1 DEATH OF WOLVERINE #1
2 DEATH OF WOLVERINE #2
3 BATMAN: FUTURES END #1
4 HARLEY QUINN: FUTURES END #1
5 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6
6 JUSTICE LEAGUE: FUTURES END #1
7 ORIGINAL SIN #8
8 DETECTIVE COMICS: FUTURES END #1
9 JUSTICE LEAGUE #33
10 BATMAN/SUPERMAN: FUTURES END #1

via Bleeding Cool

Wow. Harley is absolutely killing it. When does the first trade come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom