• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
$7.99 per season? That's a really good deal.

That's what I thought. I have a US iTunes account for content unavailable here and I was thinking it was totally going to be cheaper to buy Batman: TAS via that store front. Boy was I wrong; $29.99 a season on the US store. Mind, I'd be happy to pay that regardless. The quality absolutely speaks for itself, it's more than worth it even at that price, but $7.99 is insane.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I present my Halloween avatar. Hellboy dressed up as The Joker.

This is part two in my series of Hellboy dressing up as characters from Gotham.

Here's part one from a while back when I was making the MSPaint avatars:

ib2fVpG2870UpX.png

Boogiepop

When I was a young lad, I had The Batman. Needless to say, I grew up on Teen Titans instead

You made the right choice. The Batman was garbage. I gave it a solid try, more than it deserved, but it just wasn't good. Teen Titans was cool, though. This also reminds me, was Beware the Batman any good? Is it still running? I feel so out of the loop all of the sudden.

Also, I was the right age to grow up on Batman Beyond, though I definitely caught plenty of other stuff too (and I'm rectifying whatever gaps I had with Justice League nowadays).

Boogiepop

So, here's a bit of a random question (and I hope I haven't asked it and forgotten sometime in the past).

I had the first VHS of the 90s X-men show as a kid, and as a result those episodes are probably some of the most iconic comic related images in my head, just really burned in there. It's definitely a big part of why Jubilee is so nostalgic for me and why she's still somehow one of my favorites. And kind of as a result, to me the core X-men idea has always kind of been that classic feel of (a) teenager(s) coming to grips with something new, coupled with the idea of a government society fearing and hating them. Which is definitely a big idea for the series of course, but with all the super terrorists and demons and time travel and legacy characters that can definitely get lost in the comics a lot of the time. I've read the recent Bendis Uncanny X-men up until around the first issue of the "vs SHIELD" arc or whatever they were calling it, and that's probably the closest I've ever felt to that kind of X-men story in a comic. But it just felt like it was dragging its heels too much and not really doing much with the characters, or even really in general (and I think I've heard it gets worse about that?)

So does anyone have any suggestions of X comics (or maybe even just something similar enough) that captures that feel? I mean, I love plenty of other X stuff (got a lovely row of the Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine and the X-men, and X-Statix omnibuses sitting on my comics shelf), but this is something I'd really love to grab a nice run of at some point.

One more try on this in the hope it got skipped over in the early rush of the thread before giving up.

You made the right choice. The Batman was garbage. I gave it a solid try, more than it deserved, but it just wasn't good. Teen Titans was cool, though. This also reminds me, was Beware the Batman any good? Is it still running? I feel so out of the loop all of the sudden.

Also, I was the right age to grow up on Batman Beyond, though I definitely caught plenty of other stuff too (and I'm rectifying whatever gaps I had with Justice League nowadays).

Looks like Beware the Batman just wrapped up recently and won't be coming back. Huh. Came and went.
One more try on this in the hope it got skipped over in the early rush of the thread before giving up.
Sounds like Ultimate X-Men by Millar, and Ultimate Comics: X-Men by Nick Spencer (idk if that was good) and Brian Wood (same, but i've heard good things). Maybe Generation X? I have some of that stuff but yet to dive into the main series, but it sounds like what you're looking for

Batman: TAS was my morning cartoon growing up too. I always get a nostalgia fix watching it now.

Now that I think about it, I was pretty committed to the whole Timm/Dini DCAU. From Batman TAS to JLU. That last episode of JLU felt like an end of an era to me.

Grew up on batman spider man and x-men TAS.

Really loved x-men

I liked X-men too, but I agree with pock3tmonster. Watching it now requires some strong nostalgia vision or something.

Owzers

I'm liking Manhattan Projects three issues in, it moves along nicely and my only slight against it is a lack of introduction for some of the scientists, though if Hickman did so for each it might bog the book down too much initially. Random series score of 8/10

Boogiepop

Looks like Beware the Batman just wrapped up recently and won't be coming back. Huh. Came and went.

Sounds like Ultimate X-Men by Millar, and Ultimate Comics: X-Men by Nick Spencer (idk if that was good) and Brian Wood (same, but i've heard good things). Maybe Generation X? I have some of that stuff but yet to dive into the main series, but it sounds like what you're looking for

Awesome, thanks. I've only read the first arc or so of Ultimate X-men (maybe just the first trade), but I feel like I've heard it eventually goes south? At the very least I feel like it's supposed to become a mess by Ultimatum or whatever, from what I recall hearing.

Also, since we're on the vague topic: I'm hoping most people in here know this, but Brave and the Bold is awesome and shouldn't be ignored. Definitely a different approach and not tied together with the DCAU stuff, but it's still amazing and deserving of a watch.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm liking Manhattan Projects three issues in, it moves along nicely and my only slight against it is a lack of introduction for some of the scientists, though if Hickman did so for each it might bog the book down too much initially. Random series score of 8/10

If even sillymonkey likes it, I already know I'm going to love it.

Hypothetical: What would happen if Birdie read a comic that sillymonkey said was the greatest comic ever?

Awesome, thanks. I've only read the first arc or so of Ultimate X-men (maybe just the first trade), but I feel like I've heard it eventually goes south? At the very least I feel like it's supposed to become a mess by Ultimatum or whatever, from what I recall hearing.

Also, since we're on the vague topic: I'm hoping most people in here know this, but Brave and the Bold is awesome and shouldn't be ignored. Definitely a different approach and not tied together with the DCAU stuff, but it's still amazing and deserving of a watch.

I've only read the first 3 volumes of the Millar stuff (i dig em), but i've heard it only gets really bad during the Robert Kirkman run, and then probably til it ends. It actually ended around/after Ultimatum, and yeah, skip that shit. So, maybe not the whole run, but there's good stuff there and Millar heavily plays up the mutant/human relations.

I couldn't agree more. It's definitely Batman at his best, after TAS. There is so much to love about Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but it's largely underrated. I loved the Injustice Syndicate two-parter, the Starro two-parter, the appearances of the original Batwoman (Katherine Kane) and Doom Patrol... so much of DC's history is a part of every episode.

To celebrate the series premiere of the Flash, Comixology are running, pun intended, a week-long sale on everything Flash.

The Flash (1987) #1-225 - $0.99 each
The Flash: Rebirth #1-6 - $0.99 each
The Flash (Geoff Johns) (2010) #1-12 - $0.99 each
Flashpoint #1-5 - $0.99 each
The Flash (New 52) #1-30 - $0.99 each

A number of trades collecting the above issues are also on sale:

The Flash: Rebirth tpb - $5.99
The Flash (2010) Volume 1: Dastardly Death of the Rogues - $5.99
The Flash (2010) Vol 2: The Road to Flashpoint - $5.99
Flashpoint - $5.99
The Flash (2011) (New 52) Vol 1: Move Forward - $5.99
The Flash (2011) (New 52) Vol 2: Rogues Rebellion - $5.99
The Flash (2011) (New 52) Vol 3: Gorilla Warfare - $5.99

I'd avoid Rebirth and Johns' 2010 run, in favour of the New 52 series and a selection of issues from the original 1987 series. Johns' original Flash run is highly regarded, as is Mark Waid's. I'd definitely recommend checking both out if you're interested in quality Flash stories. Their issues are outlined as follows:

Johns wrote:
Flash #164-225

Waid wrote:
Flash #0 (not part of the sale), 62-129, 142-159, 162, 231-236 (not part of the sale)

and it the most expected sale in recent memory, This weeks Comixology sale is Flash. They also have some collections on sale not just single issues.

Going to second Ultimate X-Men, read it from the beginning, go through Millar, Bendis, Brian K Vaughn respective runs and then just keep reading and you'll reach a breaking point where you'll come to hate it... sorry

It's when the new writer takes over during the March to Ultimatum

Also Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run, and maybe Generation Hope which I haven't read, but heard good things.

Also on sale this week at Comixology, until the 13th of October is 'The Walking Dead'.

The Walking Dead #1-126 - $0.99 each
Two bundles are also available, including:
The Walking Dead #1-50 - $39.99
The Walking Dead #51-100 - $39.99
The Walking Dead tpb collections Volume 1-21 (Vol 1 is $4.99, Vol 2-21 are $5.99)
The Walking Dead: The Governor Special - $0.99
The Walking Dead: Michonne Special - $0.99
The Walking Dead: Tyreese Special - $0.99
The Walking Dead #1: 10th Anniversary - $1.99

Busaiku

I'm watching Batman The Animated Series again now, and while it's still great, it's also a lot less dark, with lots more silly stuff than I remembered.
Joker's also way less intimidating/crazy than other adaptations and the comics.

Weiss

Banned
I'm watching Batman The Animated Series again now, and while it's still great, it's also a lot less dark, with lots more silly stuff than I remembered.
Joker's also way less intimidating/crazy than other adaptations and the comics.

And I am so happy about that. Gotten real tired of boring, invincible, unstoppable Joker.

Busaiku

Also, the chronology is so weird.
First episode is the Man-Bat, then Dick comes in, but then he's gone for like 20 episodes, then he's in college, then he's a kid.

How is that? It's been tempting me for months, but I just don't know if I should pick it up.

It made my wishlist purely on the back of Grant Morrison's writing pedigree. I had no context going in, or expectations and to be frank, I absolutely loved it. It took me some time to finish; given its size and weight, it limited when and where I could read it. The narrative is far easier to follow than Final Crisis, but still engaging and interesting. Some tie-ins don't add much to the main series, but many do. I feel as though the DC 1,000,000 future is completely fleshed out and developed over the course of this omnibus to the point that I wanted to read more stories about the future versions of the Justice League, Batman, etc. That's a credit to the creativity of Morrison and his vision for the story - I'm not sure how much control he had over the direction of the tie-ins, but it did feel as though he had a hand in many if not all of them.

frye

How is that? It's been tempting me for months, but I just don't know if I should pick it up.

If you don't want to commit to the entire omnibus all you really is the four issue miniseries and JLA One Million. I found those for like <10 bux at a local store.

Hellers

I do! I'd honestly been trying to get into it for a while but only went balls deep recently with the Titan storyline in Dredd.

I think what I like the most about it is it's a weekly anthology. There's always something in it I enjoy reading even if I'm not so keen on some stories. I'm not a big fan of Stickleback or this other utterly forgettable thing they've just finished but I love the Kingdom and Ichabod. And there's always a Dredd. And the runs tend to be short.

Get Whet!

frye

I think what I like the most about it is it's a weekly anthology. There's always something in it I enjoy reading even if I'm not so keen on some stories. I'm not a big fan of Stickleback or this other utterly forgettable thing they've just finished but I love the Kingdom and Ichabod. And there's always a Dredd. And the runs tend to be short.

Get Whet!

Yeah, for me those skips are Sinister Dexter (which is so dull, I can't believe it's apparently been running for like 20 years) and Brass Sun which I just couldn't follow. Also Slaine didn't work for me at all.

Dredd is always good and I liked the new Indigo Prime and both Jaegir strips a ton. One thing I find interesting is that the regular Dredd writers I associate with serviceable but uninteresting North American comics (Rob Williams and Mike Carroll) can really knock stories out of the park in 2000AD.

Hellers

I like Sinister Dexter but it helps that I've been following the story for most of those 20 years (And my recent reread has refreshed my memory). Brass Sun isn't bad but the long gaps between chapters tends to mean I forget what happened. Slaine unfortunately has been a bit lost for a while now and I prefer the older stuff anyway (Horned God is a good read). I think he probably needs to take a break for a few years and come up with something more interesting.

I wish I could remember which issue it was in but there's an utterly hilarious Dredd story where a cit has an injured arm so it looks like he's giving everyone the finger. I snortloled my way through that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

It's THE BEST. It will spoil you on gimmick months forever.

Does anyone else here read 2000AD? And why not?

I feel like I should have read 2000AD as a kid but never did, and now the back catalogue is intimidatingly large and indecipherable. What's the current quality like? Who is it aimed at?

The only British comics I have is the run of Revolver from the 90s with Rogan Gosh and Morrison's Dare in it. I feel like a traitor to my people.

Hellers

I feel like I should have read 2000AD as a kid but never did, and now the back catalogue is intimidatingly large and indecipherable. What's the current quality like? Who is it aimed at?

It's aimed at us. It certainly hasn't been aimed at kids for a long time.

The back catalogue is large certainly but there's no need to read it. Just dip into a collection if something takes your fancy. A couple of issues ago in 2000AD was a fresh jumping on point (They do them now and again) where they time it so every story is a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom