• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FNFThorDentist05.jpg
oh shit, that dragon needs a dentist.

Is she Harley Quinn? No...then she will lose.

I dunno, man. Squirrel Girl holds a victory over Dr. Doom. I doubt Harley could do that.

Owzers

Read Manhattan Projects #2, had a glossy-ish black back cover.

Left a finger smudge on it.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

fauxtrot

Banned
Welp, I had planned on catching up on comics this weekend but then I bought Shadows of Mordor and suddenly it's Monday. It's been a ton of fun so far, but I've never played an Assassin's Creed or Arkham game, so the gameplay is All-New to me and I'm quite enjoying it!

Y'all Squirrel Girl haters are making me sad. She looks like she could kick more ass than our typical wafer-thin meta-females. She and Ms. Marvel are the types of heroes I'd want my daughter to look up to (if I had one).

Messi

Welp, I had planned on catching up on comics this weekend but then I bought Shadows of Mordor and suddenly it's Monday. It's been a ton of fun so far, but I've never played an Assassin's Creed or Arkham game, so the gameplay is All-New to me and I'm quite enjoying it!

You should play the Rocksteady Arkham games. One of them even lets you play as Selina.

fauxtrot

Banned
You should play the Rocksteady Arkham games. One of them even lets you play as Selina.

I actually own Arkham City on my Wii U but the frame-rate bothered me too much to play past the 2nd mission (which is why I didn't count it). I'll definitely pick up Arkham Knight if it can maintain ~30fps on my PS4.

Y'all Squirrel Girl haters are making me sad. She looks like she could kick more ass than our typical wafer-thin meta-females. She and Ms. Marvel are the types of heroes I'd want my daughter to look up to (if I had one).

You are right on the money here...my 7 y/o loves Ms. Marvel and is gonna lose her shit for Squirrel Girl. I'm just not sure we'll be reading that one together, it's about as appealing to me as her MLP comics. They're great books but they're not for me. I'm sure I'll try it, of course.

Arkham City. Using her whip to quickly maneuver around Gotham's cityscape and climbing walls just as she does in the comics felt so good.

Catwoman bits were the best part of the game imho. That's not a knock either, I love that game

I actually own Arkham City on my Wii U but the frame-rate bothered me too much to play past the 2nd mission (which is why I didn't count it). I'll definitely pick up Arkham Knight if it can maintain ~30fps on my PS4.

I am still hoping for some kind of Arkham Trilogy Remastered for PS4, alongside Arkham Knight. I own the trilogy three times over on PC, PS3 and Wii U, but I'd give those up to play through them in glorious 1080p and 60fps without having to upgrade my computer.

You are right on the money here...my 7 y/o loves Ms. Marvel and is gonna lose her shit for Squirrel Girl. I'm just not sure we'll be reading that one together, it's about as appealing to me as her MLP comics. They're great books but they're not for me. I'm sure I'll try it, of course.

Catwoman bits were the best part of the game imho. That's not a knock either, I love that game

Totally agree. Catwoman was incredibly well-done. She played far better than I ever expected she would. The rest of the game was stellar, but seeing Catwoman come to life was absolutely cherry.

I'm catching up on Batman Eternal, it's so well done. It kind of reminds me of what pre-horrible James Robinson did at the end of Starman with Grand Guignol, bringing together all the characters from Morrison & Snyder's runs together for one big story. It feels like Nolan's Dark Knight crossed with a horror book crossed with the kitschy madness of Batman Inc.

And I'm absolutely loving the new status quo for the Spectre. I've been a fan of the character for a long time, but ever since Ostrander effectively told Corrigan's story in such a final way and others became the host, he just hasn't been the same. New 52 let them bring him back, and they found a hook that gets around the problem of him being so powerful he could solve every problem in the DCU in 3 seconds. The atmosphere in the Spectre/Batwing thread is my favourite, outstanding creepy stuff.

Also, this is maybe the best treatment of Batgirl I've read. I've never cared about the character before, but now she seems pretty kickass.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What about She-Hulk. She's a lawyer, son. Got the brains, the brawn, and the green.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yesssssss. I KNEW there was something coming out this month that I was forgetting about! Book 6 of the new TPB releases of Preacher! When that comes out, I'm buying all of them. So excited to reread that series.

Yes; its the climatic issue of Simonson's run and its done entirely in splash pages.

Yep, and it's glorious.

Talk about a fast-paced issue.
That's pretty epic.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Talk about a fast-paced issue.
That's pretty epic.

Funny thing is that it's pretty atypical for the run. Usually there's a lot of exposition in every issue and he uses splash pages very sparingly. In this issue though, he just lets loose

Kipp

Funny thing is that it's pretty atypical for the run. Usually there's a lot of exposition in every issue and he uses splash pages very sparingly. In this issue though, he just lets loose

Have you read his Orion run too? I'm leaning towards buying the omnibus when it comes out but I don't really know much about it.

It'd be depressing if it wasn't so ridiculous. World class cartooning.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have you read his Orion run too? I'm leaning towards buying the omnibus when it comes out but I don't really know much about it.

No, but I'd like to thank you for putting that on my radar. Read up on it and I definitely need this thing when it comes out. Looks amazing.

WAT

I had no idea this was a thing. It seems like everything has an omnibus now, the book was pretty much ignored when it was published. The story was just okay, but the art, especially the fight scenes, was awesome. I remember talking to Simonson on comicboards.com about it back in the day, he was super nice & humble about the whole thing for the small number of people who cared.

Kipp

On the bright side, we can be glad someone like Land didn't get assigned this book or she'd look like Makoto from BlazBlue (semi-NSFW).

You know who should've gotten art duties on Squirrel Girl? Liefeld.

WAT

I had no idea this was a thing. It seems like everything has an omnibus now, the book was pretty much ignored when it was published. The story was just okay, but the art, especially the fight scenes, was awesome. I remember talking to Simonson on comicboards.com about it back in the day, he was super nice & humble about the whole thing for the small number of people who cared.

Good to know. The MSRP is only $75, so I might go for it.
And that's too cool! Gotta love creators who chat with their fans on message boards.

Messi

I agree 100%. I'd play a catwoman game in that style in a heartbeat.

I agree 100%. I'd play a catwoman game in that style in a heartbeat.

This. I think after Arkham Knight, Rocksteady or other developers should expand the Arkham-verse through other characters and spin-offs. Retire Batman figuratively speaking and let characters like Batgirl, Catwoman and Nightwing, etc, take the spotlight. Or hell, other heroes outside of Gotham.

Messi

Two random thoughts watching this video:

1. I don't like white Joker skin Harley

2. I love Paul Dini's cornball jokes

I never understood why they felt the need to give Harley joker white skin. I think it works much better if she is using makeup and that first clip just proves it. I love that side of Harley. Was lovely to see it in the recent stalker issue.

This. I think after Arkham Knight, Rocksteady or other developers should expand the Arkham-verse through other characters and spin-offs. Retire Batman figuratively speaking and let characters like Batgirl, Catwoman and Nightwing, etc, take the spotlight. Or hell, other heroes outside of Gotham.

Will never happen. Batman still sells too well for them to rely on second-string characters to carry a game. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a Catwoman game (as long as it isn't Halle Berry Catwoman), but I doubt it would happen.

One random thought while watching this: I should probably watch Batman:TAS sometime... I've never seen it.

Only the first season has been released here in the Australian retail market. I since discovered it was made available in completion, on iTunes. The decision was easy. I was given an Apple TV for my birthday and bought the complete four seasons of Batman: TAS for $7.99 each. That's cheaper than the listed price on the US store.

I hope at some point, Batman Beyond and even the Batman are released here too. As of this moment, only the first season of each respective show is available.

Will never happen. Batman still sells too well for them to rely on second-string characters to carry a game. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a Catwoman game (as long as it isn't Halle Berry Catwoman), but I doubt it would happen.

I'm just not sure where exactly the series can go from Batman: Arkham Knight. I highly doubt Warner Bros want to retire the franchise, as it has made them bucket loads of money. I don't want to see it become tired though. I think foregrounding other characters or heroes is a way around that. The Arkham universe is interesting and ripe for development outside of Batman and Gotham City. Wonderful things could be done with Superman, Wonder Woman, etc, without mimicking the same gameplay designs. I know Batman sells, but how many more Batman: Arkham X games can be churned out before the franchise keels over?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
One random thought while watching this: I should probably watch Batman:TAS sometime... I've never seen it.

I was looking for a 'seriously?' gif to respond to you, but I found this instead:
spudlol.0_standard_709.0.gif

Point still stands: why did your childhood not include Batman: The Animated Series, Kipp?

I'm just not sure where exactly the series can go from Batman: Arkham Knight. I highly doubt Warner Bros want to retire the franchise, as it has made them bucket loads of money. I don't want to see it become tired though. I think foregrounding other characters or heroes is a way around that. The Arkham universe is interesting and ripe for development outside of Batman and Gotham City. Wonderful things could be done with Superman, Wonder Woman, etc, without mimicking the same gameplay designs.

Well get ready, because Call-of-Duty Syndrome isn't going anywhere.

Messi

I'm just not sure where exactly the series can go from Batman: Arkham Knight. I highly doubt Warner Bros want to retire the franchise, as it has made them bucket loads of money. I don't want to see it become tired though. I think foregrounding other characters or heroes is a way around that. The Arkham universe is interesting and ripe for development outside of Batman and Gotham City. Wonderful things could be done with Superman, Wonder Woman, etc, without mimicking the same gameplay designs.

You won't get stuff outside of Batman because Batman sells. That's what's pulling in all of the people outside of our circle. From a business standpoint taking out Batman is suicide for those games. The best we can hope for are add on story characters like we get with Catwoman and Harley.

Oh and they don't care about it getting tired, they are trying to annualize it. That's why we got origins.

Kipp

Well its been on Netflix for a while, but they fucked up the episode order for some odd reason.

Oh nice! I'll definitely watch some episodes soon then.

Not in the US, it hasn't

Oh. Nevermind.

Only the first season has been released here in the Australian retail market. I since discovered it was made available in completion, on iTunes. The decision was easy. I was given an Apple TV for my birthday and bought the complete four seasons of Batman: TAS for $7.99 each. That's cheaper than the listed price on the US store.

I hope at some point, Batman Beyond and even the Batman are released here too. As of this moment, only the first season of each respective show is available.

$7.99 per season? That's a really good deal.

Kipp. Please. Next you're going to tell me you haven't watched Superman: TAS, Justice League, or any other part of the DCAU.

Oh, I mean, of course I've seen all of those. In fact, I've watched all of the episodes of all of those like three times. How could I miss them?

I was looking for a 'seriously?' gif to respond to you, but I found this instead:

Point still stands: why did your childhood not include Batman: The Animated Series, Kipp?

Hahaha. Great gif.
And not really sure. I guess I was more of a Power Rangers kid.
Could've been since I was born in '93. Although if Batman: TAS was one of those shows that got constant reruns for years after, I have no excuses.

frye

spudlol.0_standard_709.0.gif

Gotta admit that mine kinda didn't either. I caught some reruns but most of my DCAU exposure was Batman Beyond and beyond.

You won't get stuff outside of Batman because Batman sells. That's what's pulling in all of the people outside of our circle. From a business standpoint taking out Batman is suicide for those games. The best we can hope for are add on story characters like we get with Catwoman and Harley.

Oh and they don't care about it getting tired, they are trying to annualize it. That's why we got origins.

Origins is my second favourite after Arkham. I thought it was much better written than City. If it's annualised and similar quality can be maintained, them I'm 100% for it. I realise Batman sells, but he doesn't need to be removed from future games, just give co-spotlight or starring credits. What if the next game was akin to 'The Brave and the Bold' and was a team-up between Batman and X hero? That's the kind of exploration I want to see in future "Arkham" titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom