• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's aimed at us. It certainly hasn't been aimed at kids for a long time.

The back catalogue is large certainly but there's no need to read it. Just dip into a collection if something takes your fancy. A couple of issues ago in 2000AD was a fresh jumping on point (They do them now and again) where they time it so every story is a new one.

That's the thing though, I don't even know how to find out what there is to find out what strikes my fancy. To me, 2000AD is a closed black box where I have no notion of the contents. No idea who the good creators are who work regularly on the book, no idea of the characters or stories it has. It looks neat though. Apart from Judge Dredd, never really dig that as a concept.

What would you say are some good collections?

USA Today have a number of pages from Batman #35 online, though without context, everything looks super crazy. It needs to be said, Capullo draws an incredible
Wonder Woman

I freaked out when I saw Batman had lost
a hand, but the following page was thankfully calming.
I cannot wait to see where Snyder is going with this. I mean, what's with the lone
Owl perched in the new "Batcave"
? The interview implied the return
of the Court of Owls
, but in what capacity? The new characters look fantastic, I love
Bluebird and Lark's
costumes.

This. I think after Arkham Knight, Rocksteady or other developers should expand the Arkham-verse through other characters and spin-offs. Retire Batman figuratively speaking and let characters like Batgirl, Catwoman and Nightwing, etc, take the spotlight. Or hell, other heroes outside of Gotham.

I would do bad things for a Birds of Prey game done by Rocksteady. Make it be Batgirl, Catwoman, Black Canary, and Huntress.

Also make this the theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA

To celebrate the series premiere of the Flash, Comixology are running, pun intended, a week-long sale on everything Flash.

I'd avoid Rebirth and Johns' 2010 run, in favour of the New 52 series and a selection of issues from the original 1987 series. Johns' original Flash run is highly regarded, as is Mark Waid's. I'd definitely recommend checking both out if you're interested in quality Flash stories. Their issues are outlined as follows:

Johns wrote:
Flash #164-225

Waid wrote:
Flash #0 (not part of the sale), 62-129, 142-159, 162, 231-236 (not part of the sale)

Totally rebuying the johns run and snagging the complete waid run that's on sale. Those runs made me a huge flash fan

How was the millar/Morrison flash issues?

Totally rebutting the johns run and snagging the complete waid run that's on sale.

How was the millar/Morrison flash issues?

I haven't read either, but Morrison's name always opens my wallet. I can't decide if I enjoyed Johns' or Waid's run better, but great choice. Quality comics right there.

So Stephen Amell is teasing a comic book for his wine label, Nocking Point.

230071_728653180553285_2237425196560030927_n.jpg

Who wants to guess who the artist is? He hasn't named names yet.

Hellers

That's the thing though, I don't even know how to find out what there is to find out what strikes my fancy. To me, 2000AD is a closed black box where I have no notion of the contents. No idea who the good creators are who work regularly on the book, no idea of the characters or stories it has. It looks neat though. Apart from Judge Dredd, never really dig that as a concept.

What would you say are some good collections?

That's the thing really. It's so varied it's hard to pick out specifics. There's Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Slaine, Indigo Prime, Nikolai Dante, Robo Hunter, Nemesis The Warlock, Sinister Dexter to name a few.

The thing about a lot of this stuff is it's old. So the very early stuff has a very different tone to what they later become. So something like Dredd actually starts out pretty different from the Dredd we know today. Same basics but the titles evolved over time

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The only problem I have with these sites is I can never figure out the proper measurements. I'm a medium on average, but I don't know if that'll translate across.

My wife is a UK size 10 and is quite tall, the medium fits her with just a little bit of extra room in it. Seems a fairly generous size.

My wife is a UK size 10 and is quite tall, the medium fits her with just a little bit of extra room in it. Seems a fairly generous size.

Thanks for the info. This might be a stupid question but based on the sizing chart, is the measurement for just the front? Do I need to double it? A medium in Australia for example is 97-102 cms, but 20 inches is only 50.8 cms.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
These would make awesome posters

Picked up both. Thanks for the heads up

Better posters than t-shirts even. I could have that in my room.

Thanks for the info. This might be a stupid question but based on the sizing chart, is the measurement for just the front? Do I need to double it? A medium in Australia for example is 97-102 cms, but 20 inches is only 50.8 cms.

I'm afraid that as a man who's only ever bought XL shirts this is out of my paygrade :p

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Does anyone else here read 2000AD? And why not?

Those were great.
2000AD doesn't put out collected editions that have everything in them (such as the pages you posted), do they? The only collections they have just collect specific characters, right?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sorry man, my bad. On another note, based on the post about the t-shirt, is your wife into comics too?

hehe no bad :D

Yeah she's into them a bit but pretty much mostly stuff where I say "THIS IS AWESOME READ IT NOW PLS". She likes her girly hijinx books too, had a big goth comix phase when we were kids, loves Harley and all that jazz. She's currently working through Preacher, Sandman and Swamp Thing in alternate books, I'm pretty proud of her.

The harley rollergirl shirt was a no-brainer since she is a rollergirl, loves harley and anything purple. She's now the toast of her derby team.

Hellers

Those were great.
2000AD doesn't put out collected editions that have everything in them (such as the pages you posted), do they? The only collections they have just collect specific characters, right?

It's generally "complete collections" like Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper etc or specific storylines or single run things. There's very large amounts of 2000AD that have never been collected sadly and probably never will. Good reason to buy the weekly though :)

There's a couple of Future Shock anthologies and I think a "Best of 2000AD" but you're right.

The Alan Moore future shocks collection is pretty good. I'd love if I could start buying digital omnibuses of the original progs. Maybe a year at a time.

Messi

Better posters than t-shirts even. I could have that in my room.

I'm afraid that as a man who's only ever bought XL shirts this is out of my paygrade :p

I'd take posters over tshirts all day.

I lost my phone yesterday and backtracked today and luckily found my phone on a side street where I seemingly dropped it. You don't realize how much personal data and stuff is tied up in your phone until you lose it. I was so incredibly worried.

Phew.

Kipp

It's generally "complete collections" like Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper etc or specific storylines or single run things. There's very large amounts of 2000AD that have never been collected sadly and probably never will. Good reason to buy the weekly though :)

There's a couple of Future Shock anthologies and I think a "Best of 2000AD" but you're right.

The Alan Moore future shocks collection is pretty good. I'd love if I could start buying digital omnibuses of the original progs. Maybe a year at a time.

Ah, bummer. Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately, I only read trades, so I don't really have the stomach to start buying floppies on account of 2000AD. Haha
I do plan to check out the Dredd collections sometime though and get a little taste of 2000AD.

I lost my phone yesterday and backtracked today and luckily found my phone on a side street where I seemingly dropped it. You don't realize how much personal data and stuff is tied up in your phone until you lose it. I was so incredibly worried.

Phew.

Oh, goodness. They could've hacked your Neogaf account!

But I'm glad you were able to find your phone. That's pretty lucky. Haha

Hellers

Unfortunately, I only read trades, so I don't really have the stomach to start buying floppies on account of 2000AD. Haha
I do plan to check out the Dredd collections sometime though and get a little taste of 2000AD.

The good thing is there are loads and load of trades available. :) The complete Dredd collection is up in double figures now

Messi

Oh, goodness. They could've hacked your Neogaf account!

But I'm glad you were able to find your phone. That's pretty lucky. Haha

Is it wrong that one of the first things I thought of was losing my ability to post on comics GAF on the go.

hehe no bad :D

Yeah she's into them a bit but pretty much mostly stuff where I say "THIS IS AWESOME READ IT NOW PLS". She likes her girly hijinx books too, had a big goth comix phase when we were kids, loves Harley and all that jazz. She's currently working through Preacher, Sandman and Swamp Thing in alternate books, I'm pretty proud of her.

The harley rollergirl shirt was a no-brainer since she is a rollergirl, loves harley and anything purple. She's now the toast of her derby team.

That's great! It's nice to able to share interests. I do the same with my own partner, but he's a little more reluctant with certain things. He's more interested in the Bat-verse for sake of familiarity. The one time he expressed interest in the Green Lantern Corps, I quickly rushed out and bought him the first three trades. It's hard to know when an opportunity to expand his interests outside of Batman is going to rise, so I need to be ready.

Roller Derby is unreal. There's a local league not far from me, I keep meaning to check it out but I work every weekend.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That shirt reminds me: Have there been any good Scarface stories in Batbooks at any point? I loved the little fucker on B:TAS.

The first review is up for the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1, hitting stands on Wednesday.

"Forget everything you know or think you know about Archie Comics. This is a book you should keep an eye on."

I'm excited for this. Afterlife with Archie is one of my favourite books, hopefully, Sabrina hits the same notes and maintains that quality I've come to love.

Kipp

Is it wrong that one of the first things I thought of was losing my ability to post on comics GAF on the go.

Messi, you've got your priorities right.

Also, I must be the only person here who only posts from my computer. I'm so behind the times.

"Dynamite Acquires James Bond License, Plans Origin Comic in 2015"
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56063
Very curious.

On the one hand, this could be cool given the right creators, but on the other hand, you know it won't really be that cool because all the good creators who want to do a spy story would just do a creator-owned spy story. And Dynamite could just throw any old creators at the James Bond story and it'll sell a bit because of the name.
Still some pretty cool news though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom