• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Shameless, but you guys would love my CBR Final Crisis reviews from back in the day.

Oh my goodness, Birdie. You're incredible.

"But imagine Darkseid is eating at a fairly tony restaurant, the kind with tablecloths. On his way to the Men’s Room, he slips on a napkin or an olive or something and on his way down, he grabs a table to try and break his fall. Instead of it righting himself, though, he instead pulls the tablecloth down with him.

The Multiverse is the tablecloth, and “Final Crisis” is that tiny spot where the very tip of his first finger starts to pull. The Fifth World is the maple tabletop underneath."

Please do yourself a favour and read Elegy. You won't regret it. Rucka has such a craft for characterisation. It truly is a beautiful work of fiction.

Would I still fully enjoy it if I didn't read all the stuff leading up to it (52, Crime Bible, FC Revelations, whatever else)?

Messi

"But imagine Darkseid is eating at a fairly tony restaurant, the kind with tablecloths. On his way to the Men’s Room, he slips on a napkin or an olive or something and on his way down, he grabs a table to try and break his fall. Instead of it righting himself, though, he instead pulls the tablecloth down with him.

The Multiverse is the tablecloth, and “Final Crisis” is that tiny spot where the very tip of his first finger starts to pull. The Fifth World is the maple tabletop underneath."

Would I still fully enjoy it if I didn't read all the stuff leading up to it (52, Crime Bible, FC Revelations, whatever else)?

I read it completely standalone and it was my first Batwoman story. Felt it was fantastic and I was never confused. Leads you right into her New 52 series too.

Cheska

I don't think I can handle so much awesomeness in one day. Gotham Academy was SO GOOD! I felt like this was made for me.

Reading these comics is making up for the fact that I'm home sick today.

I'm catching up on the series and at about 18 it actually gets pretty interesting.

Yeah I think I only picked up the first 2 or 3 issues of the actual Futures End,, lost interest. I'll most likely get the TPB or HC though

Shazam and the monster Society of Evil by Jeff Smith. It's wonderful.
Whoever it was recommended this a little while back, probably a couple people. I'm gonna put an order in this weekend.

You don't need to read 52, the Crime Bible, etc, to enjoy Elegy, but I think there is deeper appreciation for those that have. I'd recommend reading Elegy first, then if you are fond of it, look back to the other titles, or otherwise continue with the new 52 run. It doesn't quite reach the heights of Elegy but it's still a stellar run.

Not gonna lie, some of my best work was reviewing this book. I was Super Charged, all the FC haters at the time were Fallen, and these reviews were my Fist of Havoc.

Zombine

Banned
ww34selfie.jpg

Favorite selfie cover. So excited to get this today.

I don't think I can handle so much awesomeness in one day. Gotham Academy was SO GOOD! I felt like this was made for me.

Reading these comics is making up for the fact that I'm home sick today.

I hope you feel better soon! I posted my impressions on the first page but no one else had read it at the time to be able to respond. I'm going to repost it here:

I just finished reading Gotham Academy. I thought it was a great first issue. Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher quickly introduced the characters and established not only their relationships with one another, but their voices. GeyseR and Karl Kerschl brought the Academy to life in fantastic detail, the colours and tone, soft and warm. Kerschl's character work was on point. The characters themselves were animated and expressive. Their body language was just as telling as the dialogue. The only disappointment I have is that the issue was over too quickly. It's a long wait for issue two.

EDIT: I've thought about it a little more and there was one criticism I had with the writing. It is a spoiler, so be warned. The assumed relationship
between Batman/Bruce Wayne and Olive is a little groan-worthy. I know it's "Gotham" Academy and needs to be connected to the Bat-family titles on some level, but the issue felt refreshingly removed from Batman, while still sharing the same universe. The history between Olive, her mother and Batman feels forced at this stage. It seems as though Bruce, or rather Batman is somewhat responsible for whatever happened to Olive's mother, maybe accounting for Olive's Wayne Foundation Scholarship.
I have faith in Cloonan and Fletcher's writing ability, but they need to tread carefully. Gotham Academy needs to be able to stand on its own.

Definitely the strongest first issue I've read in a long time.

I've never actually read any Spider-Man 2099.

I didn't know there was an ongoing Spidey 2099 now, so I guess I've got that to look into! I haven't checked out Uncanny X-Force. I guess I'll try that for getting back into the whole X-Family.

Marvel has some 2099 trades if you want to try the old series. I've only read a few issues of that and thought it was okay (I'm not really crazy about 90s Marvel). I really like the current series though.

Kipp

Birdie, why did you ever stop writing reviews? This is too good.

"So congratulations, Mr. Morrison. Congratulations, Mr. Jones. You have discovered The Anti-Disappointment Equation and unleashed it onto an unsuspecting world."

Not gonna lie, some of my best work was reviewing this book. I was Super Charged, all the FC haters at the time were Fallen, and these reviews were my Fist of Havoc.

Haha. Amazing.

I read it completely standalone and it was my first Batwoman story. Felt it was fantastic and I was never confused. Leads you right into her New 52 series too.

You don't need to 52, the Crime Bible, etc, to enjoy Elegy, but I think there is deeper appreciation for those that have. I'd recommend reading Elegy first, then if you are fond of it, look back to the other titles.

Cool. Thanks, guys. I'll very likely put Elegy in my upcoming IST order.

Also, are Crime Bible and FC Revelations great on their own terms as well as helping to build up Elegy? They're pretty cheap and I love Final Crisis and have always been interested in The Question.
I've always been slightly tempted to pick up 52, but it's so pricey. Shame half of the TPBs are OOP.

Somebody please get Venditti away from the Green Lantern universe. He doesn't understand it at all. So myopic.

The core Green Lantern book needs a new creative team desperately. Venditti is the creative head on the Green Lantern titles and that is a problem. I'm okay with Jensen, he understands John Stewart. However, Venditti's Hal is flat and uninspired and given the narrative circumstances, should be anything but.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I haven't read any Rucka nor any Batwoman. You're making me really want to read it.

Rucka is easily one of the best in the game, his DC work was top notch stuff all the way. Very strong and well rounded female protags, well plotted stories and he tends to do character through lines that last for years. One of the best.

Kipp

Man, Birdie. Just finished reading all the Final Crisis reviews. That was really, really great stuff.
Even though I just re-read it a couple months ago (and had read it for the first time less than a year before that even), I really want to re-read it again now.

Rucka is easily one of the best in the game, his DC work was top notch stuff all the way. Very strong and well rounded female protags, well plotted stories and he tends to do character through lines that last for years. One of the best.

There definitely isn't any good reason I haven't read anything by Rucka. I just haven't gotten around to him yet I guess. I'll try to change that really soon though.
Gotham Central has been on my list of comics I really need to read for a long time, but since Elegy is only one inexpensive TPB, that's easy enough to throw into my IST order.

Messi

So how are Gotham Academy, Thor and Rat Queens. I need to live vicariously through you guys for a bit :/

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

"So congratulations, Mr. Morrison. Congratulations, Mr. Jones. You have discovered The Anti-Disappointment Equation and unleashed it onto an unsuspecting world."

Haha. Amazing.

Cool. Thanks, guys. I'll very likely put Elegy in my upcoming IST order.

Also, are Crime Bible and FC Revelations great on their own terms as well as helping to build up Elegy? They're pretty cheap and I love Final Crisis and have always been interested in The Question.
I've always been slightly tempted to pick up 52, but it's so pricey. Shame half of the TPBs are OOP.

I think they're decent, FC Rev is maybe a little one note by itself, but Crime Bible sets up a lot of Elegy. If you can find it, there's a Batman/Huntress/Question mini from before 52 that sets up a lot of stuff with Montoya and Huntress as well.

Edit: Vic, not Montoya.

CorvoSol

Marvel has some 2099 trades if you want to try the old series. I've only read a few issues of that and thought it was okay (I'm not really crazy about 90s Marvel). I really like the current series though.

Well I'm interested in Spidey 2099 because I heard Batman Beyond might be ending and I figured I'd check out the next nearest concept, you know? I saw Marvel has like a 16 buck collection on Comixology, so I might save up and pick that up first.

ReAxion

lookin at the books that didnt make top 3, September was better than I remember.

gotta make that wall of shame one of these months...

Shocktober is shaping up to be a monster.

Kipp

I think they're decent, FC Rev is maybe a little one note by itself, but Crime Bible sets up a lot of Elegy. If you can find it, there's a Batman/Huntress/Question mini from before 52 that sets up a lot of stuff with Montoya and Huntress as well.

Edit: Vic, not Montoya.

Thanks for the advice!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Not exactly being subtle in Grayson.
Grayson is an underrated book and they're hitting all the right James Bond/super spy highs. I would have happily voted for the futures end tie in as one of my comics of the month in September.

New Green Arrow team did a stellar job! Of course the art can't beat Sorrentino, but the writing was really good and had a cool start to the arc.

"So congratulations, Mr. Morrison. Congratulations, Mr. Jones. You have discovered The Anti-Disappointment Equation and unleashed it onto an unsuspecting world.".

Ha thanks man. Just didn't have the time anymore. But I do still love seeing it. Rill proud of that stuff.

Another month, man it flew by. Got some new library reading to Do. From Hell, and Enki Bilals Nikopol trilogy. I'm so out of the loop otherwise...

There definitely isn't any good reason I haven't read anything by Rucka. I just haven't gotten around to him yet I guess. I'll try to change that really soon though.
Gotham Central has been on my list of comics I really need to read for a long time, but since Elegy is only one inexpensive TPB, that's easy enough to throw into my IST order.

You should definitely try Queen & Country.

Spoilers yo

Ollie is setting up shop in Seattle now and wants to rebuild his reputation. His advisor sets up a meeting with Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor who's companies have partnered up and they want Queen Industries to join in. Being more liberal than those 2, Ollie declines. His advisor does not like his decision. During this exchange, the writers really nailed the big characters here. Before this scene, the only person in Ollies life at the moment is Diggle. The book explains where everyone is at. In another scene, a mystery man is torturing someone for the whereabouts of someone. The guy thinks they want GA but they want a Mia Drearden. Diggle send Ollie some coordinates of some suspicious activity and GA investigates to see Felicity in a room and she says she was hired to kill him. Next The Hunt for Mia Drearden.

The core Green Lantern book needs a new creative team desperately. Venditti is the creative head on the Green Lantern titles and that is a problem. I'm okay with Jensen, he understands John Stewart. However, Venditti's Hal is flat and uninspired and given the narrative circumstances, should be anything but.
Brah is a grade a unimaginative bum. Take your boring stories to the Warhammer Universe or something.

jordisok

I was mildly hyped for Gotham Academy but that first issue still took me by surprise, really really good :)

Turtles #38 was interesting, feels like the momentum is coming back after the last few issues have been kinda set-up stuff.
Mondo Gecko!! and being called a stoner lmao

Gotham Academy was legit guys! This is going to be a fun book. Props to Becky for her writing. Only after 1 issue and each character established a voice in my head. Book of the month candidate.

Messi

Bleeding Cool reporting All-New X-Factor is ending in January :|

Not really surprised by that. Using ComicsGAF as a measuring stick I can't think of many people who pull it monthly and it rarely gets talked about. I dropped it after the first arc.

Nudull

Banned
Not really surprised by that. Using ComicsGAF as a measuring stick I can't think of many people who pull it monthly and it rarely gets talked about. I dropped it after the first arc.

I read it briefly (mostly for PAD), but I grew bored of it after a while. Spider-Man 2099 has gotten a better grip on my attention.

Man just read the first all new x-factor trade it's was pretty good. I has tempered expectations but any book with warlock in it can't be bad

New Green Arrow team did a stellar job! Of course the art can't beat Sorrentino, but the writing was really good and had a cool start to the arc.
Damn,, I just dropped it after Sorrentino left,, but I value your opinion so I will probably un-drop it. lol. And here I am thinking I did a good job cutting a few books off of my pull list.

Pretty hyped for Gotham Academy,, everyone seems to like it a lot.
Sooooo many damn good books to read this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom