• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
love these guys:

9hKSroV.png

It's Sex Criminals day, all. #BrimpUp

Same. Proven fact that the best Image books are made by creative teams who bicker at each other 24/7.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Give me summary about this month Avengers.

Avengers 36 spoilers, obvs:

Sunspot bought AIM and is using their multiverse tech to send a strike team out to combat the supposed "big bad" behind the multiversal collapse. Hyperion's awesome zebra kids are there being awesome and smart, Hickman getting to add some wise children always makes me happy. Unworthy Thor is on the team so he can redeem himself, plus Hyperion (since he came from that same multiverse gate at the start of the run) and a bunch of Ex Nihili (probably my favourite new character, I love how enthusiastic and comically moral he is). Meanwhile, Sunspot is talking about how he's going to fix the Avengers, no idea what he's up to there. And just before the strike team go through the gate the flashbacks reveal that they all know they're going to their deaths beyond. Dun DUN!

Also thought the art was just really really good, Caseli is always good to see when he isn't being wasted on that awful hollow Avengers World nonsense.

Batman was more WOAH this week, but Avengers was just better. To be fair, Avengers is going to be my book of the week all the way up until the end of this run. I'm just too excited by the whole thing. Everyone seems to be sleeping on it, and it's one of the best 'event' style books ever made. It's just super fucking long (70-odd issues and counting with New Avengers and Infinity, will likely be 100 by the time it's all done) and lots of people seemed to lose patience with it.

Avengers 36 spoilers, obvs:

Sunspot bought AIM and is using their multiverse tech to send a strike team out to combat the supposed "big bad" behind the multiversal collapse. Hyperion's awesome zebra kids are there being awesome and smart, Hickman getting to add some wise children always makes me happy. Unworthy Thor is on the team so he can redeem himself, plus Hyperion (since he came from that same multiverse gate at the start of the run) and a bunch of Ex Nihili (probably my favourite new character, I love how enthusiastic and comically moral he is). Meanwhile, Sunspot is talking about how he's going to fix the Avengers, no idea what he's up to there. And just before the strike team go through the gate the flashbacks reveal that they all know they're going to their deaths beyond. Dun DUN!

Also thought the art was just really really good, Caseli is always good to see when he isn't being wasted on that awful hollow Avengers World nonsense.

Batman was more WOAH this week, but Avengers was just better. To be fair, Avengers is going to be my book of the week all the way up until the end of this run. I'm just too excited by the whole thing. Everyone seems to be sleeping on it, and it's one of the best 'event' style books ever made. It's just super fucking long (70-odd issues and counting with New Avengers and Infinity, will likely be 100 by the time it's all done) and lots of people seemed to lose patience with it.

I've been rereading Hick's stuff from the "beginning" in FF and it's actually really longer than just all the Avengers issues. There's at least 50 integral issues in that initial run.

;D

BTW, I'd totally forgotten about how they resolve the Mad Celestials. Galactus, Herald of Franklin knocked me on my pants once again. I'd totally forgotten, and I was like "OH MY GOD."

Based Hickman.

Batman was insane. So fucking good. That ending is chilling. HOW?

I feel like I've missed something too-maybe because I only read the core Batman title,
Why was Bruce in a room with Court of Owls stuff with Julia Remarque? Is this Batman Eternal related?

Endgame takes place after Batman Eternal.

I'm trying to split out my orders for the next couples months, as Original Sin hits October 28th, Avengers/New Avengers on November 4th, and Original Sin: Thor & Loki isn't hitting until November 11th. I'll probably just hold off on everything and do one huge order in November for all the Original Sin books.

October is tough though because I want to go ahead and put in my order so I have new books to read next week...but Ms. Marvel doesn't come out until next Tuesday. First world problems, I know.

So far it's looking like:

Hawkeye vol 3
Captain Marvel vol 1
Magneto vol 1
Journey Into Mystery Complete Collection vol 2
Blacksad vol 1
The Black Beetle vol 1

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the God Hates Astronauts currently collected in paperback, and the current ongoing series Image is putting out right now?

I've been rereading Hick's stuff from the "beginning" in FF and it's actually really longer than just all the Avengers issues. There's at least 50 integral issues in that initial run.

;D

BTW, I'd totally forgotten about how they resolve the Mad Celestials. Galactus, Herald of Franklin knocked me on my pants once again. I'd totally forgotten, and I was like "OH MY GOD."

Based Hickman.

I got the Hickman FF Omnibus vol 1 last month and can't wait for the next, will definitely start fresh from the beginning once that's out.

When his Avengers run is complete I know I'm going to need to sell off my HCs and get the omnibus volumes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

;D

Based Hickman.

haha yeah me too, I only re-read it a couple of weeks ago (onto Avengers again now which explains the fever pitch of my hype). I forgot just how big that Celestials thing was alltogether, they were so menacing and the artists just slayed with them. Bobillo and Epting especially. The Galactus line had me rolling a tear, gotta say. The flip from despair to elation in that issue was such a rush, and then all the issues afterwards are sweet character pieces. So good. My biggest re-surprise of the run was just how incredible the Dragotta issues were - he gave us this:

KActDCI.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Today is officially Ennis Punisher day for me. Just finished the first 5-issue arc in Ennis/Dillon Punisher (the last few pages are amazing; Frank Castle at his most badass) and now I'm gonna reread the Kitchen Irish arc from Punisher MAX.
It's a good day.

Oh, I also read another issue of Ronin this morning. It keeps getting better. Really great dystopian future stuff.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The first volume is Dark Reign: Fantastic Four 1-5, Dark Reign: The Cabal, Fantastic Four 570-588 and FF 1-5 in that order. Not sure if the 2nd volume will have the books in the proper order, but I'm assuming so.

Have you read the second half? should we be spoilering our posts for you?

Kipp

Oh, also regarding Punisher, does anyone else really dislike Tim Bradstreet's covers for all of the Ennis Punisher stuff? They just look like pictures that somebody threw into Photoshop and cranked up the contrast on. And they don't fit the tone of the Marvel Knights Punisher stuff at all. At least they sort of fit on Punisher MAX, but I still really dislike the aesthetic.

Today is officially Ennis Punisher day for me. Just finished the first 5-issue arc in Ennis/Dillon Punisher (the last few pages are amazing; Frank Castle at his most badass) and now I'm gonna reread the Kitchen Irish arc from Punisher MAX.
It's a good day.

Oh, I also read another issue of Ronin this morning. It keeps getting better. Really great dystopian future stuff.

Kitchen Irish was like the weakest MAX story.

Oh, also regarding Punisher, does anyone else really dislike Tim Bradstreet's covers for all of the Ennis Punisher stuff? They just look like pictures that somebody threw into Photoshop and cranked up the contrast on. And they don't fit the tone of the Marvel Knights Punisher stuff at all. At least they sort of fit on Punisher MAX, but I still really dislike the aesthetic.

Yeah, I liked them when I was 14, but as I've gotten older, I feel like a lot of the earlier ones haven't aged well. Some of the MAX ones are fantastic though. But I always felt like he traced, though I don't think he did. He did have models though.

A lot of them end up feeling very samey though, so I wished Bradstreet would experiment more and try out new things.

I really like the new Gerads covers, and I loved Dave Johnson's covers post-Ennis.

Kipp

Kitchen Irish was like the weakest MAX story.

Oh. Shoot. I couldn't remember.
I only own the first two hardcovers though and I just re-read the Russia story a month ago and I don't remember caring much for the first MAX story. Maybe I should've read the fourth arc where
the guy digs up Castle's family's grave (IIRC) to bring Castle out and kill him.
I can't remember how that one was. I'm only an issue into Kitchen Irish though. Should I switch?

I really need to buy more of the hardcovers. I've read the whole series, but it'd be great to own them. The six-issue, self-contained arcs are great for rereading.

Yeah, I liked them when I was 14, but as I've gotten older, I feel like a lot of the earlier ones haven't aged well. Some of the MAX ones are fantastic though. But I always felt like he traced, though I don't think he did. He did have models though.

A lot of them end up feeling very samey though, so I wished Bradstreet would experiment more and try out new things.

I really like the new Gerads covers, and I loved Dave Johnson's covers post-Ennis.

The ones you linked aren't bad, but I still don't really care for them.
But yeah, Dave Johnson's covers were incredible. Johnson is definitely my favorite cover artist.

haha yeah me too, I only re-read it a couple of weeks ago (onto Avengers again now which explains the fever pitch of my hype). I forgot just how big that Celestials thing was alltogether, they were so menacing and the artists just slayed with them. Bobillo and Epting especially. The Galactus line had me rolling a tear, gotta say. The flip from despair to elation in that issue was such a rush, and then all the issues afterwards are sweet character pieces. So good. My biggest re-surprise of the run was just how incredible the Dragotta issues were - he gave us this:

KActDCI.jpg

Yes!!!

Just read that yesterday. The best.

Fell for the Axis hype. I don't really want to follow another bad event comic, but I don't want to miss out on something.

Usually for new books and runs, yeah. Creators I follow always talk about how important it is so shops can order more copies. I always thought of pulling as the shops regularly setting aside certain books for you.

Yeah, the amount a shop orders tends to be based on how many people have a comic on their pull list. If no one at that shop is pulling a title, they extrapolate demand and don't order as many. No one wants a ton of one issue to collect dust on a shelf.

tim1138

My only complaints about Batgirl is that Babs is no longer a librarian and that no grad student would only have one copy of their graduate research. Otherwise kudos to the new team, it lived up to expectations.

Freeza, my store didn't order any copies of Ravine :((( :((((( :((((

:O

My store had tons, but I ordered mine yesterday from IST (they already shipped it). My comic guy loves the shit out of that series. But he had 0 copies of Wytches. He ordered 20, and Diamond sent him 0. They wouldn't even rush them over because they won't do that unless they fuck up a certain % of the order. Diamond gonna Diamond.

Cheska

Ahaha holy fuck, how did I not notice this before!? Batgirl spoilers!
Is that Sailor Moon in the cafe on page 5? You can see her silhouette.
Maybe it's already been mentioned and I either missed it or am LTTP.

Ahaha holy fuck, how did I not notice this before!? Batgirl spoilers!
Is that Sailor Moon in the cafe on page 5? You can see her silhouette.
Maybe it's already been mentioned and I either missed it or am LTTP.

Further cementing Batgirl #35 as a classic of modern comics.

KActDCI.jpg

(also i gotta borrow this)

Kipp

With the Omnibus on the Horizont, I think there will be no OHCs anymore...

I refuse to think Marvel could do this. I would be so mad. First, because I'd have to sell my OHC and then buy the omnibus (which has a ridiculous MSRP and would end up costing way more than just getting a second OHC), and second, because the 12-ish issue OHC is by far the best format for comics. They're so comfortable to read but still contain a good amount of issues.

I refuse to think Marvel could do this. I would be so mad. First, because I'd have to sell my OHC and then buy the omnibus (which has a ridiculous MSRP and would end up costing way more than just getting a second OHC), and second, because the 12-ish issue OHC is by far the best format for comics. They're so comfortable to read but still contain a good amount of issues.

It wouldn't be the first time they did this. The Fraction / Brubaker Iron Fist series (which was omg amazeballs) got an omnibus containing the first three hardcovers, then that was it. The final two volumes of the series had to be bought seperately. Sometimes Marvel is in such a fucking rush to condense their volumes that they don't think ahead. Granted, Hawkeye may get the second OHC, but given how slowly that book is coming out, you may be waiting until 2017.

fauxtrot

Banned
Damn guys, this is a KILLER week. I can't wait to check out Batgirl, Wytches & Sabrina when I get home.

It's going to be so hard to not get spoiled on Batman, but I probably won't read it until the Endgame arc ends. :(\

I also picked up Ragnarok #2 because I am weak.

Kipp

It wouldn't be the first time they did this. The Fraction / Brubaker Iron Fist series (which was omg amazeballs) got an omnibus containing the first three hardcovers, then that was it. The final two volumes of the series had to be bought seperately. Sometimes Marvel is in such a fucking rush to condense their volumes that they don't think ahead. Granted, Hawkeye may get the second OHC, but given how slowly that book is coming out, you may be waiting until 2017.

But the omnibus contained all the Fraction/Brubaker stuff, right? Just not the following stuff collected in the second complete collection.

And I don't mind the wait. As long as I get it, I'll be okay.

But now I'm curious. Have any of the OHCs been solicited for Spring 2015 yet? I know there are quite a few omnibuses that have been solicited and can be pre-ordered on Amazon, but I can't remember if the OHCs have popped up yet.
I'm really hoping the second OHC will come out around the same time as the omnibus but it just hasn't been announced yet...

Better get ready to refer to the official ComicGAF Omnibus reading position

Yeah I'm just gonna sell my Hawkguy TPBs for the omnibus next year. Considering doing the same for my Uncanny Avengers HCs, but we'll see.

What's up with the quick turnaround on the omnibus for these two books?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, love OHCs, too. They arent to expensive and have a good content size.
Kinda funny, earlier this year I hated all Hardcover formats and now I fully love OHCs and Omnibusses. I even double dip on some books, because I dont wanna break the format when I collect a series in Trades...

But I know how you feel, I am kinda unsure if buying the Thor: The God of Thunder by Jason Aaron OHC is a good idea. The Run has the perfect size for an Omnibus...

But the omnibus contained all the Fraction/Brubaker stuff, right? Just not the following stuff collected in the second complete collection.

Hmm..... *googles* Okay, yeah, you're right. Fraction and Brubaker were done after the first three volumes. But I still would have liked to have the whole series in one hardcover.

Yeah, love OHCs, too. They arent to expensive and have a good content size.

Nothing is better than Image format deluxe hardcovers. Great cover art, no dust jackets. I skip a lot of tpbs now just to wait for those. Saga, Lazarus, Sex Criminals, Deadly Class.... Waiting on them all.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sometimes with Hickman, what some call "payoff" feels like stockholm syndrome. "I've been buying this for 24 months and stuff happened this week. AMAZING!!!!!"

I dislike his Avengers run because it just has nothing to do with core Avengers and their character growth, substituted for his new pick of blank canvases instead. With New Avengers, its really just a continuation of his FF run with Reed, T'challa, and Namor, and everyone else are cardboard cutouts along for the ride. Dr Strange had a bit of fun development, but even that was slowwww movin'.

AXIS was as fucking dumb as I feared. Didn't buy, gave it a quick flick read (the shame of it). Boy are they proud of that little bit of logo graphic design. Says a lot really. Fantastic fucking asspull xanatos shit there at the end as well. The Remender milk has gone fully bad.

Sometimes with Hickman, what some call "payoff" feels like stockholm syndrome. "I've been buying this for 24 months and stuff happened this week. AMAZING!!!!!"

I dislike his Avengers run because it just has nothing to do with core Avengers and their character growth, substituted for his new pick of blank canvases instead. With New Avengers, its really just a continuation of his FF run with Reed, T'challa, and Namor, and everyone else are cardboard cutouts along for the ride. Dr Strange had a bit of fun development, but even that was slowwww movin'.

AXIS was as fucking dumb as I feared. Didn't buy, gave it a quick flick read (the shame of it). Boy are they proud of that little bit of logo graphic design. Says a lot really. Fantastic fucking asspull xanatos shit there at the end as well. The Remender milk has gone fully bad.

My only complaint with AXIS was Kubert. Kinda over that dude.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just a day or two after you were talking about how Ragnarok is just a cash grab.
Shameful. Haha

If Simonson needs dough that bad, I'll happily support him since I love his past work. I haven't even ready issue 1, so maybe it's amazing and not even a cash grab. Who knows?

I had a feeling it wouldn't be good. I flipped through it in the shop.

$4.99 saved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom