• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
so should I buy like 15 avengers/newavengers trades or just wait for some fucked up 3 volume omnibus collection in 2016 and read it that way

I want to read it but I only have the first 6 issues currently

I DID pick up a good haul monday though

SOUTHERN BASTARDS TP VOL 01 HERE WAS A MAN (MR)
UMBRELLA ACADEMY VOL 2 DALLAS TP
MOON KNIGHT TP VOL 01 FROM DEAD
SWEET TOOTH TP VOL 06 WILD GAME (MR)
ALL NEW X-MEN PREM HC VOL 04 ALL DIFFERENT
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TP VOL 03 NO ESCAPE
NAILBITER TP VOL 01 THERE WILL BE BLOOD (MR)
WE3 TP NEW ED (MR)

I currently have a pending order thats like 250 dollars that my wife doesn't approve of yet but im gonna do it dammit

Uxtqz1g.png

nXOYGeT.jpg

Uxtqz1g.png

nXOYGeT.jpg

Uxtqz1g.png

nXOYGeT.jpg

Uxtqz1g.png

nXOYGeT.jpg

Uxtqz1g.png

nXOYGeT.jpg

Uxtqz1g.png

oh god how do i get off of this barfygoround help

Uxtqz1g.png

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

I can't unsee this.

Edit: Fuck, man, the world's ending. Axes, axes everywhere.

Annihilator and Sex Criminals

ibx1OmUdl0eNdT.gif

Batgirl: Later, she catches the hashtag-spouting bad guy not with her traditional crime-fighting smarts, but by posing on Hooq, the DCU’s equivalent of Tinder. A bad guy, it must be said, who drops phrases like “Oh, glorious #angel from heaven... Show me a little... somethin’ somethin’. Take it all off and my #kingdom will be yours!” before flashing his pixelated middle fingers in her general direction with a pointed “Bring it on, #bitch!”

sF9wNy6.gif

Batgirl was a decent introductory issue, but lol @ that bad guy.
Riff Raff/Alien
type dude who drops dialog like "Damn bae, you trippin!" in the middle of a fight. It's not the only time it comes off as tryhardy hip, but otherwise, a pretty fine comic. Also a very pretty comic.

New Helheim was alright. Cullen Bunn does his thing. Joelle Jones is just an rtistic goddess though. Goddam. Beautiful colors too. And Crank! lettered the fuck outta that book. Always try to support Oni since they can't launch any ongoings past the first trade and seem to survive only on Scott Pilgrim.

ElNarez

Banned
Oh man, Avengers is so good.

Just remind me, who is Izzy?

She's Smasher, first Earthling member of the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard, granddaughter of Captain Terror. Her deal is "Do you remember that one panel from Morrison's New X-Men I wanna say #126 with the cows? Well she's the one that went and done grabbed the thing".

Vyer

Black Science #9 :
feels like we're seeing Grant again even sooner than I expected, but maybe that's just me.

Also, it really feels like Sex Criminals turned a corner. I've enjoyed the book so far, but this issue feels like a perfect representation of everything the book does so well. A little sex ed, some dirty jokes and innuendo, great characterization. They
introduce a new guy in Rainbow, and he fits right in while maintaining his own unique traits and personality.
You can tell that Fraction and Zdarsky are having a blast and it shines through the whole book, all the way into the hilarious letters pages. Shit has easily become one of the reads I look forward to the most.

So the big Inversion twist of Sixis will be after they all inverted that someone we thought was a villain all along was good and the hero was bad.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. Just watched the first episode of Batman: TAS. Even without the help of nostalgia, I thoroughly enjoyed that.
Definitely gonna keep watching. That's great stuff.

IST order came in.

Maybe DC have a point with not setting up a Marvel Unlimited competitor. Just my 3rd and 4th ever Marvel books. The rest are mostly DC, Vertigo and Wildstorm. Anything I want to re-read on Marvel, I find myself looking on MU and not IST.

IST order came in.

Maybe DC have a point with not setting up a Marvel Unlimited competitor. Just my 3rd and 4th ever Marvel books. The rest are mostly DC, Vertigo and Wildstorm.

You've gotta let me know how that new Incal HC is. I believe it's got the original coloring. Fucking beautiful stuff! I really want to pick it up before it's out of print and sky-rockets to +$200.

Messi

Oh man. Just watched the first episode of Batman: TAS. Even without the help of nostalgia, I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Get ready to watch and enjoy the best Harley and Joker ever.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132516800&postcount=326

It looks great. I put in an order for Before The Incal even before I finished reading The Incal.

Thanks for pointing to your post. Missed it as I've been slightly less attentive to the thread the past two weeks. I managed to snag a copy of one of the editions via my Library with the "new" coloring and it looked bad IMO. This looks really incredible. I think I may break the drought and order a copy of this from IST. Then lock 'er back up. I'm still paying off my credit card, hahaha.

Finally got around to reading Superior Foes vol. 2 today. Can't wait for vol. 3 to drop.

Also got around to reading The Sandman vol. 3. Didn't like it as much as the first two books, although I really liked "Facade."

I didn't like episode one of Batman: TAS. I felt it set too hokey a tone.

There are a lot of episodes of that show I didn't like, just from the first two DVD sets.

Get ready to watch and enjoy the best Harley and Joker ever.

It's not like that's the original Harley or anything.

She's Smasher, first Earthling member of the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard, granddaughter of Captain Terror. Her deal is "Do you remember that one panel from Morrison's New X-Men I wanna say #126 with the cows? Well she's the one that went and done grabbed the thing".

Okay, that's what I thought. The jumpsuit looked familiar, I just wasn't sure.

Dang. @_@

Birthright flew in under the radar, and made a big ol' splash on my consciousness today. Now I want to add it to my pulls ASAP.

Today's haul:

Image Comics
Birthright #1
Black Science #9
Sex Criminals #8
Wytches #1

IDW Publishing
Transformers vs GI Joe #3

Other Publishers
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1 (Archie)

Not one Marvel or DC book found its way into my shopping bag this week. It's a brave new world we live in. o_O

how are you getting that from what we saw so far?

i feel like I missed a big thing then, other than
the obvious JL(real members) have been somehow affected by the joker. But nothing about how it's not really her.

also I must have missed the part where he put that bind of veils on her unless it specifically was obtuse about it's use. I just saw her chop his arm off and then next panel she's got a silver lasso on?

I was also wondering about the arm getting chopped off and the bind of veils. That section was super confusing. What happened the arm?

How do I get the SIXIS banners above and below all of the posts in here? It's the design choice of the year.
I'm gonna try this one more time, and then I'm gonna let it go. Because frankly, it's a book I didn't even buy and any disappointment I have is borne of shipping predilections that colour and creep into everything I see, hear and experience regarding those two characters these days, and none of you care about that.

I am NOT saying
that it wasn't the real Wonder Woman; that is, I didn't mean this was someone masquerading as her, or anything even close to that (and, you can ignore the "Scarecrow induced hallucination" speculation now, as the new Snyder interview confirms this to be another Joker arc). I am not being literal.

What I am trying to say is that, while that may be Wonder Woman's physical form, it is not Wonder Woman that Bruce is interacting with. It is, in fact, Joker-by-proxy. It may look like her, sound like her, exhibit her powers, and with good reason; but, she certainly doesn't act like Wonder Woman. She is not her own character in this story, but an extension of Joker's will and malice towards Batman.

A puppet.

And, as someone who (perhaps naively) was hoping to see Bruce interact with Diana, not a Diana puppet whose strings are being pulled by Joker but Diana, I found that disappointing.

Wonder Woman Hiketeia is great. The setting, Diana's conflict, the art, Batman being Batman; everything is awesome.

So far I have read Queen and Country 1/2, Gotham Central and Hiketeia by Rucka and have liked all of them. What other works of his should I read next?

fauxtrot

Banned
This week feels weird because there wasn't an Edge of Spider-verse release to look out for... next week is the last one, right? Hopefully it's not shit (again).

Save us, Spider-Gwen!

edit - How many weeklies is DC currently publishing? Jaysus...

This week feels weird because there wasn't an Edge of Spider-verse release to look out for... next week is the last one, right? Hopefully it's not shit (again).

Save us, Spider-Gwen!

edit - How many weeklies is DC currently publishing? Jaysus...

half of the current ASM #7 is edge of spider verse. Thus my bitching.

I've actually seen way less ASM bitching this week, so #7 must have not been too bad... or everyone else dropped it like I did.

The bitching was because...

morlun rolled into an alternate universe and killed off the spider man there. That universe? The one from "Spider man and his amazing friends", that appeared on saturday morning cartoons in the 1980s. Why marvel?? Why???

it was short and mostly throwaway, but...c'mon! the rest was a bit with the captain britain spider man, taking action to stop the massacre.

Wonder Woman Hiketeia is great. The setting, Diana's conflict, the art, Batman being Batman; everything is awesome.

So far I have read Queen and Country 1/2, Gotham Central and Hiketeia by Rucka and have liked all of them. What other works of his should I read next?

Stumptown, Detective Comics with JH Williams III, the novelization of No Man's Land(its better than the comics...seriously), and Tangled Web #4, "Severance Package". Spider-Man foils a plot of the Kingpin to steal something (I forget what, exactly), and later that night, Tom Cochrane is watching the news with his wife when he learns of Spider-Man’s victory.

Tom knows that Spidey’s win means death for him, as he was in charge of that mission, and even though he was not actually there, it is his responsibility, so he’s effectively a dead man walking. His wife tries to get him to run, but he won’t – he made a deal with the Kingpin, and he must live up to his end.

fauxtrot

Banned
The bitching was because...

morlun rolled into an alternate universe and killed off the spider man there. That universe? The one from "Spider man and his amazing friends", that appeared on saturday morning cartoons in the 1980s. Why marvel?? Why???

it was short and mostly throwaway, but...c'mon! the rest was a bit with the captain britain spider man, taking action to stop the massacre.

What!? Uncool... :(

Kipp

I had a very successful comics reading day today. Making up for lost time, I guess, since I've sucked at reading comics the past couple weeks.
I read some God Hates Astronauts, some Ronin, and a little bit of Punisher MAX.

But mostly I nearly read through the whole Ennis/Dillon Marvel Knights Punisher OHC. I really do think it's even better than Welcome Back, Frank. I just love it. So much fun.

Oh yeah, and I'm now gonna get started on those Halloween avatars I promised a few of you guys last night.

IST order came in.

Maybe DC have a point with not setting up a Marvel Unlimited competitor. Just my 3rd and 4th ever Marvel books. The rest are mostly DC, Vertigo and Wildstorm. Anything I want to re-read on Marvel, I find myself looking on MU and not IST.

Nice! That Daredevil OHC is so amazing. Definitely one of my favorites.
I've had volume 2 on my shelf for a while now but keep waiting for the right time to read it. Soon. Haha

All right, I'm going back ovr the past year and picking up any Avengers-related gems I may have missed. Current list includes:

Loki: AoA
Iron Patriot
Captain Marvel
Avengers World
Avengers Assemble (from Infinity onwards)
Secret Avengers (ditto)

Anything I'm missing out on? Anything here I'd do well to avoid? In particular I am waffling on Avengers World. Thanks folks!
(Of course, it's a safe bet I'm either already reading or already made up my mind on when it comes to all of the major Avengers titles...NA, Cap, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc.)

Messi

All right, I'm going back ovr the past year and picking up any Avengers-related gems I may have missed. Current list includes:

Loki: AoA
Iron Patriot
Captain Marvel
Avengers World
Avengers Assemble (from Infinity onwards)
Secret Avengers (ditto)

Anything I'm missing out on? Anything here I'd do well to avoid? In particular I am waffling on Avengers World. Thanks folks!

Drop Iron Patriot. I'd drop Avengers world too. I didn't much care for that.

Secret Avengers and Loki are great and Captain Marvel is fun.

Okay, you've convinced me to drop AW (awwwwww), but not sure on IP...I seem to recall there were a couple gaffers who loved it?

Dyng to read Loki!

I dunno, Avengers world started slow but it's actually become something I look forward to. It also feels like it's building to something very interesting, so I'd keep it.

IP is struggle comics

how did you feel about uncanny avengers

I adore Uncanny Avengers. One of my very favorite books. I thought Avenge the Earth/Planet X all read a lot better collected, too...I seem to recall I was a little harsh on the conclusion when it first hit.

Edit: Those Axis banners holy shit whyyyyy
They are gonna do that for the whole damn event aren't they? Way to take me out of the story every single page, Marvel

Kipp

Mezco, you beautiful bastards! I love these old Mego-esque figures.

edit - So you can pre-order it here but it's $65... fucking Mezco. :(

Oh man, that's great.
I almost wish it didn't have all those little features so it could be a more reasonable price.

Owzers

Feelin' bad that i don't get to read Batman or Axis for another week, but at least it's 3rd week dcbs shipments and not end of the month anymore..............

Also, comics, who needs 'em, right? I'm finally having some fun in Mordor, comics-gaf was right about it getting better when skills open up, but I still wish it had more story and less constant orc chief killing. Hogar the Hammersnout isn't threatening.

I'm tweeting Remender hoping he'll push to get these Axis banners removed from the collected edition. What a terrible idea this was. I'm sure it's too late for the singles, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom