• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Marvel have way too many ongoing events and announced ones. Anyone got a list in order of release.

DC don't seem so event crazy. Just weeklies.

Between this, the numerous linewide events (say what you will about Forever Evil, at least that was the first genuine linewide event DC had in a few years. Marvel had Age of Ultron then Infinity then Original Sin and then Axis and before Axis was out they'd started promoting Hickman's next event), and the way Fraction and Marvel 'couldn't agree' on Inhumanity, they're not coming across too well.

Not that DC's perfect (FAR from it), but there's no breathing room anymore between Marvel's events. And it's really off-putting. I mean Original Sin accomplished... what, exactly?

DC tends to do alot more "Family" wide events versus line wide and Marvel is the opposite. Different approaches seeking the same ends (a boost in sales).

Marvel have way too many ongoing events and announced ones. Anyone got a list in order of release.

DC don't seem so event crazy. Just weeklies.

You should check out the Earth 2 weekly.

Messi

DC tends to do alot more "Family" wide events versus line wide and Marvel is the opposite. Different approaches seeking the same ends (a boost in sales).

You should check out the Earth 2 weekly.

I don't read any Earth 2 so it would be lost on me. Too much stuff in the normal earth.

Boogiepop

You talking the Shojo manga (haven't read that ever) or the other one? Because I absolutely loved that until the last 2 chapters or whatever absolutely ruined it for me with the damn
super strong hypnosis powers out of nowhere that just kind of crap on literally everything that happened previously in the series.
Such a weird reading experience for me, to have a series I was really liked with an ending that I absolutely despised. I actually still need to read Judge.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They just had a giant, linewide gimmick month

They have one a year that you don't HAVE to buy because they add depth to storylines, they don't effect gigantic change. It's still opportunistic, but they don't promise 'everything will change' like Marvel does with every single event.

I mean Avengers vs X-Men still has repercussions, but did Inhumanity, Infinity and Age of Ultron change anything long-term?

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's one month a year though. It feels like Marvel never leaves events. Nothing has time to breathe.

Then again Doomed is going on forever.

But Doomed is restricted to Superman books. And avoids the main Superman book, so you can ignore it completely if you want.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Which I did. I even dropped Superman Wonder Woman because of it.

It left Wonder Woman alone too right?

Wonder Woman hasn't taken part in any events as far as I know. I mean they did Zero Month, but the core writers have avoided doing any other tie-in books. It's pretty much self-contained from the DCU currently (not sure Superman/WW has even been hinted at there.) That'll change soon mind.

But Doomed is restricted to Superman books. And avoids the main Superman book, so you can ignore it completely if you want.

And Infinity and Age of Ultron were confined to the Avengers. I don't remember reading about Thanos in Daredevil or She-Hulk. Captain America didn't stand up in Deadpool or Thor: God of Thunder.

Fintan

And Infinity and Age of Ultron were confined to the Avengers. I don't remember reading about Thanos in Daredevil or She-Hulk. Captain America didn't stand up in Deadpool or Thor: God of Thunder.
And both events have played into Hickman's wider Avengers story, especially Infinity obviously.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Both had scores of tie-in books. Not all of them were essential, but it wasn't just an 'Avengers family' story.

Earth 2 is great stuff. And it has Power Girl and Huntress in it now. Although theyre the Earth 2 versions so it won't be Helena Bertinelli and Karen.

Power Girl has been the Supergirl of Earth 2 in almost every incarnation, except for the time she was randomly the daughter of an Atlantean Sorcerer from a 1000 years ago. So it's still Karen, just without the mopey emotional baggage that the older version had.

DeathyBoy

Banned
And yet I managed to keep reading all of my books without knowing what the fuck Age of Ultron or even how many issues Infinity was. Its not difficult.

It's not. I'm just saying it can be exhausting when you get big event and big event and big event in quick succession, and nothing is accomplished linewise. I mean something like Rotworld doesn't promise that change because it's centralised, whereas Forever Evil DID promise that and then had to justify it.

Like how Age of Ultron was retrofitted into an event, rather than a smaller Avengers/New Avengers story.

Messi

Earth 2 is great stuff. And it has Power Girl and Huntress in it now. Although theyre the Earth 2 versions so it won't be Helena Bertinelli and Karen.

jpyTI.gif

What's the point?

Is Selina Batman?

What's the point?

Is Selina Batman?

This is the original Helena, who is the daughter of Bruce and Selina, as opposed to the daughter of an Italian mob boss. Power Girl is the same character origin. The Supergirl of Earth 2: The main difference is that the one you read that was written by Conner and Palmiotti was from an Earth 2 that had been erased from the multiverse.

Messi

This is the original Helena, who is the daughter of Bruce and Selina, as opposed to the daughter of an Italian mob boss. Power Girl is the same character origin. The Supergirl of Earth 2: The main difference is that the one you read that was written by Conner and Palmiotti was from an Earth 2 that had been erased from the multiverse.

So Conners Power Girl is the same one but in that story her universe had been destroyed.

So Conners Power Girl is the same one but in that story her universe had been destroyed.

Yeah. They're both refugees from Earth 2. Both used the name Karen Starr and owned a successful tech business. I'd say the main difference is that this version of her is less mopey and enjoys life way more.

Messi

Yeah. They're both refugees from Earth 2. Both used the name Karen Starr and owned a successful tech business. I'd say the main difference is that this version of her is less mopey and enjoys life way more.

Conners version seemed to enjoy being a normal person. There was that issue where she took Terra to the movies.

Conners version seemed to enjoy being a normal person. There was that issue where she took Terra to the movies.

Yeah but as someone who has read both now it's very obvious this is a return to the slightly older version who just has fun being who she is and doing what she does. She is free wheeling, fun, adventurous, flirtatious whereas Helena is much more reserved (she is totally her father's daughter). They play off each other really well.

Messi

Yeah but as someone who has read both now it's very obvious this is a return to the slightly older version who just has fun being who she is and doing what she does. She is free wheeling, fun, adventurous, flirtatious whereas Helena is much more reserved (she is totally her father's daughter). They play off each other really well.

These are in a team book?

These are in a team book?

Yeah, they've moved from World's Finest over to Earth 2: Worlds End and Earth 2 (proper).

It's looking like it'll be the JSA team book, with Val Zod Superman, Power Girl, Batman (Bruce's father), Huntress, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick Flash, Hawk Girl, Lois Lane Red Tornado, and other ancillary characters.

To me DC is more egregious with their events. Every god damn book has to be involved in. A crossover. The bat books were insuffrable between owls and the joker.

Sorry not buying 9 green lantern books a month

It's not. I'm just saying it can be exhausting when you get big event and big event and big event in quick succession, and nothing is accomplished linewise. I mean something like Rotworld doesn't promise that change because it's centralised, whereas Forever Evil DID promise that and then had to justify it.

Like how Age of Ultron was retrofitted into an event, rather than a smaller Avengers/New Avengers story.

Marvel never put every storyline on hold for a month for a crossover, ever. The argument starts and ends there as far as I'm concerned.

Original Sin, for example, the crossover titles were barely and sometimes not even remotely connected. They were just telling stories about past secrets.

Futures End, on the other hand, literally stopped Robin Rises for a month and I don't know how many other stories, probably Doomed. Some if the stories were interesting, but that's the very definition of a line disruptive crossover.

Something like Avengers vs. X-Men, those tie ins were tie ins because their stories had organically been leading to that conflict. I don't think Marvel's interrupted a storyline midstream for a really long time. DCs done it twice in two years.

I don't know, Marvel just sets up their titles to lead to big stories in a connected way. Look at right now, Axis and Time Runs Out have come organically from stories Remender and Hickman have been telling literally for years.

Original Sin seems a bit more Summit-Built, but it also had the least amount of impact on any outside titles. I think it's actually pretty def that a writer can just build their stories organically and then reach a point where it's big enough to encompass more titles.

But at the same time, and this is key, titles like She Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, etc, continue to exist completely unfettered by any of these big stories. Marvel has built an infrastructure where those kinds of titles, I don't know what you'd call them, but you know the ones I mean, can exist completely on their own. Even DD's Original Sin story was completely aligned with the style and the tone of the book before and after it.

Magneto and Loki, for another example, both led pretty organically to their Axis involvement. Loki, surprisingly so.

I kind of feel like people hate on Marvel crossovers on principle because they're Marvel and there are a lot of them, when in reality, I'd love to see even five instances where an incredible run or story you were reading was completely jackknifed because of them.

I think it's just the opposite. Where would your precious roguish Scarlet Spider be without Spider-Island? Ms. Marvel without Infinity?

For most people complaining I feel like Axis is just something they walk past to get to the comics they actually wanted to read anyway.

Unless the complaint is that there's just too much storytelling going on on top of the regular titles they're already buying, which I guess seems weird. If they weren't amazing stories you were interested in, it wouldn't matter.

To me DC is more egregious with their events. Every god damn book has to be involved in. A crossover. The bat books were insuffrable between owls and the joker.

Sorry not buying 9 green lantern books a month

I read nothing but the main Batman series during Court of Owls & Death of the Family, and never felt like I missed anything.

Godhead is definitely more intertwined, but that's okay by me because it's cool. It's not like Marvel doesn't pull an even worse version of the same stunt with all their X crossovers.

I read nothing but the main Batman series during Court of Owls & Death of the Family, and never felt like I missed anything.

Godhead is definitely more intertwined, but that's okay by me because it's cool. It's not like Marvel doesn't pull an even worse version of the same stunt with all their X crossovers.

Green lanter crossover every month. X-men have a cross over every 2 years.or so

Owzers

Disliked both Justice League United and wasn't that impressed with Lemire's Green Arrow, so him taking over Hawkeye will not get me to continue ordering the book, but it will be a title to make sure i look at on Marvel Unlimited.

I dunno, maybe I haven't been paying enough attention lately, but that Hope stuff was just one crossover after another for a long-ass time.

I kind of can't fault DC attempting to make GL books consistent. If those are crossovers, just trying to tell one story with the same pool of characs, then yeesh, all of Valiant is one big crossover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom