• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Can't say i'm excited about anything announced, I think only Image announcement conferences have that effect on me.

Maybe Ant Man if it's Superior Foes' Spencer and not everything else Spencer.

G. Willow Wilson taking over X-Men from the shit-tastic Brian Wood? If she does as well with it as she does with Ms. Marvel, it could be worth reading again.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
LEMIRE

PEREZ

HAWKGUY

WHAT?

Wow. Lemire. I didn't realize it until now, but he's the one guy I feel like could potentially match Fraction in tone and possibly quality.
If he sticks with the same tone as Fraction's run, I feel like he could use the same skill set that he uses on his creator owned books and it could be fantastic.
Hawkeye seems much more in his wheelhouse than something like JLU, so I have high hopes for this.

Also, Perez's art looks fantastic.

I really think this could be a continuation of the greatness of Fraction's run. And it might actually come out on time!

Edit: Just read the last page of all you guys saying this is the equivalent of Wood taking over Moon Knight. I feel like all you guys who said that haven't read Lemire's creator owned stuff. He may not do typical superhero stuff too well, but he nails the slice of life stuff.

Vibranium

Banned
Wow. Lemire. I didn't realize it until now, but he's the one guy I feel like could potentially match Fraction in tone and possibly quality.
If he sticks with the same tone as Fraction's run, I feel like he could use the same skill set that he uses on his creator owned books and it could be fantastic.
Hawkeye seems much more in his wheelhouse than something like JLU, so I have high hopes for this.

Also, Perez's art looks fantastic.

I really think this could be a continuation of the greatness of Fraction's run. And it might actually come out on time!

Edit: Just read the last page of all you guys saying this is the equivalent of Wood taking over Moon Knight. I feel like all you guys who said that haven't read Lemire's creator owned stuff. He may not do typical superhero stuff too well, but he nails the slice of life stuff.

That was just frye I think (and I can respect his opinion). A lot of people seem to be pretty positive about Lemire so far.

Where is my Silk ongoing?

Gotta say it brah's, never got the GA love with Lemire. Story never popped for me. He's like ordering a burger at Joe's Crabshack, your trying to order something different but it's still a burger from a seafood chain. Why bother?

I remain cautious about the art. Ramon Perez can draw some really great action but his talking faces scared me a lot. His Learning to Crawl Peter looks 30 years old and Aunt May is the stuff of nightmares with her black lipstick. Looks like female joker:
amazing_spider-man_1-1_preview_3.jpg

frye

That was just frye I think (and I can respect his opinion). A lot of people seem to be pretty positive about Lemire so far.

Yeah, it looks like I'm fairly alone on this one. Green Arrow felt to me like a really poor Hawkeye and Iron Fist retread, with really garish and heavy handed colouring (fuck! everything is black and white now!) On top of it was some prose that wasn't even purple (I mean, early Alan Moore is purple as fuck and that's still relatively fun to read) -- just grey. Animal Man and JLD were both not my bag either, and I got through the entire Milligan run on JLD. I've read some Sweet Tooth but I couldn't stomach the "gee whiz pa" dialogue very long.

I remain cautious about the art. Ramon Perez can draw some really great action but his talking faces scared me a lot. His Learning to Crawl Peter looks 30 years old and Aunt May is the stuff of nightmares with her black lipstick. Looks like female joker:

I love his use of heavy lines and blacks. Can't wait to see what he brings to Hawkeye(s).

As someone who still watches the TV show on Saturday nights this news pleases me. I might not buy the singles but the trades will ne mine.

Now... Batman '66 meets Wonder Woman '77 crossover when?

kd-z

Zero #9.

Fuck.

Yeah. I had to sit on that one for a while.
Yeah, it sure was something. I knew heartbreak was coming because you guys mentioned issue 9 being a very powerful and very sad, but I was not ready.
I had no idea pages with just one color on them could be this powerful. The red and black nailed home the tragedy and horror hard. And then that little bit of statistical info, that somewhere between 20 to 50 THOUSAND women were raped during the Bosnian War. I couldn't take it in. Like, what the fuck is wrong with this world? How can atrocities like this be commited by one human against another?
So, while writing this post I entered "Bosnian War" into Wikipedia's search engine and it suggested two articles: "The Bosnian War" and "Rape during the Bosnian War". This topic has it's own Wikipedia article and I lived my whole (admitedly not very long) life blissfully oblivious to it. Why doesn't nobody talk about this in schools?

Zero is something truly special. It draws you in with futuristic spy action, then grabs you with issue #2's beautiful character estabilishing, only to hit you in the gut, repeatedly, with terrible, terrible truth.

Yeah. So, on a more positive note:
I think the point is to not try to match it and go for something very different.

And damn...I was so busy I missed the damn comic convenion in my city (Lodz, Poland) and Perez actually was at it :( First time I've missed it on a long long time
Hey, it's good to know there's another Polish ComicsGAFer! :D I'm from Szczecin, currently studying in Warsaw :)

I really have to pick up a Lemire-owned Lemire comic one of these days. The first Green Arrow trade by him and Sorrentino was really good. I'm definitely curoius about the rest of their run (when is the next TPB coming out?) and what Lemire's going to do with Hawkguy.

I love his use of heavy lines and blacks. Can't wait to see what he brings to Hawkeye(s).

He said he was going for a more painterly vibe, so it might be closer to something like Tales of Sand than the "clean" linework he does on WATXM or Spider-Man

I'm more interested in Perez than Lemire, so I'm in-between Birdie insane hype and sillymonkey/fyre sheer apathy

Kipp

I really have to pick up a Lemire-owned Lemire comic one of these days. The first Green Arrow trade by him and Sorrentino was really good. I'm definitely curoius about the rest of their run (when is the next TPB coming out?) and what Lemire's going to do with Hawkguy.

I'd highly recommend checking out Essex County by Lemire.

And I think the second TPB of the Lemire/Sorrentino GA run just came out the other week.

Cade

Eh, couldn't hurt. I can't remember the last time one great Big Two run that revitalized a character was immediately followed up by one on the same level but different (Mark Waid to Geoff Johns Flash?), but it could be pretty good. At least it'll look good.

And if its not, you got the complete story in Omnibus form come April
I guess, yeah. I just wish they'd swapped out Aja if they had to and kept Fraction's Hawkguy going.
I think the point is to not try to match it and go for something very different.

And damn...I was so busy I missed the damn comic convenion in my city (Lodz, Poland) and Perez actually was at it :( First time I've missed it on a long long time

That's what I'm afraid of.

Tizoc

New Antman series announced (Lang for those asking.)

ant-man-1-cover-mark-brooksjpg-80061c_960w.jpg

Is Coipel the artist?

It's Rosanas, who did a great job doing Adlard pastiche in Night of the living Deadpool, okay, sure, but, also: Nick Spencer. Not as hot.

Ah thanks.

Finished JMS' Thor. People will probably think this is heresy, but I liked JMS' Thor more than Simonson's run.
While I haven't read Simonson's run yet, I really like JMS' Thor run.
It was just stellar.
I loved the slow buildup to the return of Asgard, together with Loki's deliberate scheming. Very smart how he combined this big scheme with some great flashbacks.
It all came together perfectly in the end. In Simonson's run, Loki was more of secondary character and never felt he was done justice, but here he was the perfect villain. Oh and I have to mention that Iron Man face-off in the beginning... Incredible. The only downside of this book is that it some stuff is left hanging, but I'll have to check out the Gillen stuff for that.

Simonson got me into the Thor universe and mythology, but JMS is what really made me love it. The art also played a big part of course. Can't recommend this run enough.

Gillen's run was also good from what I recall. Overall the JMS+Gillen run is my fav. Thor run.

kd-z

I'd highly recommend checking out Essex County by Lemire.

And I think the second TPB of the Lemire/Sorrentino GA run just came out the other week.

Yeah, Essex County sounded the most intriguing to me :)

And yup, Green Arrow volume 5: The Outsiders War came out last week. I'll buy it next month, together with Moon Knight, Zero Year parts 2-3 and some other trades I surely have missed over the last couple weeks. Thanks!

Vibranium

Banned
Yeah, it looks like I'm fairly alone on this one. Green Arrow felt to me like a really poor Hawkeye and Iron Fist retread, with really garish and heavy handed colouring (fuck! everything is black and white now!) On top of it was some prose that wasn't even purple (I mean, early Alan Moore is purple as fuck and that's still relatively fun to read) -- just grey. Animal Man and JLD were both not my bag either, and I got through the entire Milligan run on JLD. I've read some Sweet Tooth but I couldn't stomach the "gee whiz pa" dialogue very long.

It's cool man, maybe the new Hawkeye won't be great anyways, just a wait and see thing I guess. If I don't like it I'll drop it.

frye

Yeah, it sure was something. I knew heartbreak was coming because you guys mentioned issue 9 being a very powerful and very sad, but I was not ready.
I had no idea pages with just one color on them could be this powerful. The red and black nailed home the tragedy and horror hard. And then that little bit of statistical info, that somewhere between 20 to 50 THOUSAND women were raped during the Bosnian War. I couldn't take it in. Like, what the fuck is wrong with this world? How can atrocities like this be commited by one human against another?
So, while writing this post I entered "Bosnian War" into Wikipedia's search engine and it suggested two articles: "The Bosnian War" and "Rape during the Bosnian War". This topic has it's own Wikipedia article and I lived my whole (admitedly not very long) life blissfully oblivious to it. Why doesn't nobody talk about this in schools?

It does get mentioned a bit probably towards the tail end of your last year in high school if you're from North America in terms of NATO's involvement. Tim would probably know more about this than me (so I hope I don't make too much of an ass of myself here), but the wars in Yugoslavia in the 90's are amazingly complex in terms of the tensions between all the groups. Partly ethnic, partly religious, and they go back a long time (but were kind of suppressed from the end of the Second World War until Tito died). It's just a really difficult thing to understand in general.

Kipp

Whoa! IST has taken it to the next level!
I got an email saying that my order was shipped. Today. On a Sunday. In the middle of a 3-day holiday weekend.
And I even checked this morning and none of my books were even picked or scanned.
They're really stepping it up.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That Ant-Man cover looks great. And I'm not a Lang/Ant-Man fan

Owzers

I always get this book mixed up with Powers.

yeah you don't hear much America's Got Powers talk around here.

She Hulk #8: I really want to like this and Pulido's giant eyeball art is hypnotic, but the book feels rather flat most of the time. This issue for instance has Murdock on the cover, telegraphs that
he'll be the prosecutor in the trial, and then ends with that reveal to Jen
. Art aside, nothing stands out.

anaron

Where is my Silk ongoing?

Right Here

2eA6LLS.jpg

Joining Spider-Gwen as new ongoing series star in February will be Silk, starring Cindy Moon, the character recently introduced in Amazing Spider-Man who was bitten by the same radioactive spider that gave Peter Parker his powers.

Supernatural writer Robbie Thompson tells the stories, artist Stacey Lee draws them and Eisner Award winner Dave Johnson provides the covers. Also look for more info on Silk over the next hour.

VIuQpCa.jpg

ghostmind

Updated list:

Angela
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Elektra (while it lasts)
Gamora
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Silk
Spider-Gwen
Spider-Woman
Squirrel Girl
Storm
Thor
X-Men

Well done Marvel!

Messi

That second cover is great. In for at least the first few issues.

I just finished reading Original Sin and I think I found a really basic error that I can't believe they missed. Spoilers obviously
Thor becomes unworthy of the Hammer and it lands on the moon, he is seen trying to lift it up. After the final battle in the clean up Thor is seen holding his hammer. Then a few pages later he is back on the moon trying to lift it.

How do they miss shit like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom