• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just say how much I've been enjoying the last few issues of Captain Marvel. The last two issues in particular changed art and it's really good looking. Not that the previous art was bad. It's such a light fun story and I really dig Carol, Tic and Rocket.

but david lopez

Sooo I need some new things to read on Marvel Unlimited. I just got done with all they have of Superior Spider-Man. I did not enjoy it, and I hope whoever thought this idea up was fired and then shamed.

Anyway I'm open to whatever, don't care about jumping in the middle of a run or anything, so any ideas would be helpful.
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and Superior Foes of Spider-Man are both great. Scarlet Spider by Chris Yost is also good.

Top three runs is hard, right now I'd probably say:
1. Morrison's Doom Patrol
2. Power Girl by Gray/Palmiotti/Conner
3. Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Morrison Bats is also up there but I didn't want to have him on my list twice.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, what do you think what all these Elseworld Marvel Events are? I thought first that they are going to be full fledged takes on these Events, but since they all are releasing next summer, I honestly doubt this.

I rather believe that after the success of Edge of Spider-Verse, we will get a similar styled take on Marvel Events to introduce us to participants in Secret Wars, which seems to be a big crossover between multiple versions of heroes from different universes.

So, what do you think what all these Elseworld Marvel Events are? I thought first that they are going to be full fledged takes on these Events, but since they all are releasing next summer, I honestly doubt this.

I rather believe that after the success of Edge of Spider-Verse, we will get a similar styled take on Marvel Events to introduce us to participants in Secret Wars, which seems to be a big crossover between multiple versions of heroes from different universes.

Yeah, basically monetizing What Ifs.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I still don't know if I like Batman Eternal or not.

I guess I like it.

Doomed however needs to end. I liked one issue where there was a scrappy do team up moment then it kept going for the next two months.

Actually nerds, my last post is making me think... TOP THREE RUNS EVER, GO!

1. Morrison/Case Doom Patrol
2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman
3. Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
4. Otomo's Akira
5. Frank Miller's Daredevil(the original run, Born Again, Elektra Assassin, Love and War, Elektra Lives Again)
6. David Lapham's Stray Bullets
7. Morrison Batman
8. Bryan Lee O' Malley's Scott Pilgrim
9. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
10. Morrison JLA

Started reading Fatale Book 1 this morning at work.. I couldn't put it down read through the whole thing.
I really enjoyed it,, thought the pace of the story was perfect.. you don't really start getting an idea of all the weird
monster/super natural
shit going on till the second half of the book.

Really liked it though,, art is perfect for it. One thing I will say about Phillips art that disappoints me,, is he doesn't seem to ever do any splash pages or even a half or full page panels. Its not a complaint just saying id love to see that more.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I guess I like it.

Doomed however needs to end. I liked one issue where there was a scrappy do team up moment then it kept going for the next two months.

Doomed just finished now I think.

I'm with you on Eternal - I think it's improved greatly from the start of the run but it's still fairly shallow (cackling evil corrupt police, everything involving Killer Croc, everything involving nanotech, the stuff under Arkham are all totally underbaked) and as I've said before, it smells like a Bat-history remix to me with all the Spoiler stuff and the Deacon Blackfyre and there was an earthquake once. It's not terrible though so I continue to read it, and it occasionally has really great art in it so it's not a total waste.

But I still feel that the whole thing was undercut by the previous issue before it started. We're STILL waiting for the pieces to line up now and it's over halfway through. That's half a year of stories where I knew Spoiler wasn't in danger, where I know Catwoman is going to fall out with Bruce, all this crap. It totally deflated the tension in the story itself.

2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman
4. Otomo's Akira
5. Frank Miller's Daredevil(the original run, Born Again, Elektra Assassin, Elektra Lives Again)
7. Morrison Batman
10. Morrison JLA

I REALLY need to finish up my Akira run.
And a Doom Patrol re-read wouldn't go amiss...

tim1138

2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman
4. Otomo's Akira
5. Frank Miller's Daredevil(the original run, Born Again, Elektra Assassin, Elektra Lives Again)
7. Morrison Batman
10. Morrison JLA

Would Akira and Scott Pilgrim count as runs though? They were created with definitive beginnings and endings in mind. I dunno enough about manga to know if that stuff is considered creator owned, but it's not like someone else started Akira or continued it when Otomo was done. Obviously the same applies to Scott Pilgrim, that's O'Malley's joint not anyone elses.

2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman
4. Otomo's Akira
5. Frank Miller's Daredevil(the original run, Born Again, Elektra Assassin, Love and War, Elektra Lives Again)
7. Morrison Batman
10. Morrison JLA

Akira over Prison School? JC pls

What's Maxie Zeus' role in Eternal? There was a brainstorming... thing a while back that I was participating in, then someone chimed in and said he's already being used in Eternal. In what capacity?

Would Akira and Scott Pilgrim count as runs though? They were created with definitive beginnings and endings in mind. I dunno enough about manga to know if that stuff is considered creator owned, but it's not like someone else started Akira or continued it when Otomo was done. Obviously the same applies to Scott Pilgrim, that's O'Malley's joint not anyone elses.

I don't think having definitive ends should count against it. In fact, they should probably be a huge favor FOR, instead of just "random assortment of issues this guy did before leaving". I love that Hitman is just Ennis/McCrea's thing, they did 60+ issues and ended it exactly where it was gonna end all along. Great run of comic books.

I wouldn't count something like Watchmen or All-Star Superman, though, 12-issue finite stories, nah. Longterm stuff, spanned for multiple years.

tim1138

I don't think having definitive ends should count against it. In fact, they should probably be a huge favor FOR, instead of just "random assortment of issues this guy did before leaving". I love that Hitman is just Ennis/McCrea's thing, they did 60+ issues and ended it exactly where it was gonna end all along. Great run of comic books.

I wouldn't count something like Watchmen or All-Star Superman, though, 12-issue finite stories, nah. Longterm stuff, spanned for multiple years.

Fair enough, I can get behind that.
With that in mind Akira would definitely be top 5 for me in bestruns ever. 8f I did a list offavorite, it'd be pretty different than my best list.

Hell, I'll do it anyway, top 5 favorite runs:

Morrison Animal Man
Kirby Fourth World
Johns Green Lantern
Otomo Akira
Claremont X-Men

yeah there needs to be like a runs list and a series list

Favorite runs:
in no particular order. Couldn't nail them down to three.
-Aaron's Scalped
-Hickman's FF
-Gillen's Journey into Mystery
-Remender's Uncanny X-Force
-Bendis' Daredevil
-Hill's Locke & Key
-Simone's Secret Six
-PAD X-Factor

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Actually nerds, my last post is making me think... TOP THREE RUNS EVER, GO!

1. Morrison Batman
2. Hickman FF
3. Bendis Ultimate Spiderman

Honourary mention: Chuck Dixon writing all the Batman books in the 90s.

edit: lol I'm such a neophile. Maybe swap out USM for Sandman... MAYBE...

1. Ennis Punisher MAX
2. Ennis Preacher
3. Simonson The Mighty Thor 337-382

Unai

Ok GAF, I just ran out of physical space with my last order from IST. What do I do now? :(

cheio7sj69.png

Owzers

I guess I like it.

mmmm that is the perfect level of enthusiasm for half the books i buy.

Just read Batman Eternal. I love Meghan Hetricks art and wish she would get a regular gig with DC. This issue sets up Catwomans new status quo. This was a very good issue.

tim1138

Hey, Justice League is finally caught up and back on schedule numbering wise! I'm really enjoying the dynamic of Lex being on the team and how the team seems to be settling into interesting pairs within the larger group.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ok GAF, I just ran out of physical space with my last order from IST. What do I do now? :(

Step 1: read everything you have there and don't buy anything else until it's all read (I see your Sandmans are still wrapped, tsk tsk)

Step 2: throw out the crap. Because there is some crap there, I can see it.

Step 3: Have more space

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So Wolverine died to setup a year or two of terrible LOGAN LEGACY tie-ins and characters.

Meanwhile Marvel is now rehashing all its old events into sort of vaguely new versions? The House of Ideas.

Superior Foes is almost over. I can't handle it.

Unai

It's not an option because I don't live in the USA.

Yeah, I might start going that route more often.

Step 1: read everything you have there and don't buy anything else until it's all read (I see your Sandmans are still wrapped, tsk tsk)

Step 2: throw out the crap. Because there is some crap there, I can see it.

Step 3: Have more space

The bolded is the most important thing I guess.

About the new things, I'll probably read the essential through comixology and buy the Green Lantern's and Spider-Man's trades when I make room. (These are my favorite super heroes, so I have to have them in physical format).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
New Warriors too :(

we're never gonna see Aracely again after this series ends

Bad feels. Bad, bad feels.

Turtles still being awesome is one of the few things keeping my ongoing franchise comics hope up.

Owzers

So Wolverine died to setup a year or two of terrible LOGAN LEGACY tie-ins and characters.

Meanwhile Marvel is now rehashing all its old events into sort of vaguely new versions? The House of Ideas.

Superior Foes is almost over. I can't handle it.

There is definitely a heavy layer of eye rolling bullshit going on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom