• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
All the specials from Empowered in one book.

Yipppppppie

fVBm8EN.png

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAAAAACE

I lost access to several digital games when direct2drive went out of business and then got bought out. The rights for them didn't get transferred over to the new company or something or they didn't renegotiate them.

I've never heard of that thing. But do you really think Amazonk Presents Comixology going out of business is more likely then your comic collection getting lost in a fire?

Wool

I just finished Manhattan Projects Volume 4. SO much has happened in 20 issues. Great series. Issue #20 had a direct reference to the first page of The Incal that would have gone over my head if I hadn't just started reading that a couple weeks ago when they reprinted it.

With Acid_8 (or something like that) not posting anymore I'm not sure who else reads this series. He posted about it a lot.

Also, Black Beetle: Necrologue #1 was supposed to come out 10/23 of last year. It got delayed to December, then the summer, then this fall, and now previewsworld says 12/31/14. How could you miss two Halloweens for releasing your horror mini?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Heavy bondage-themed superhero satire.

It's hilarious, adorable, and sometimes serious.

If it were full on hentai I think I'd be way more into it. I find the lack of nipples stressful, it reminds me of being a kid watching something vaguely racey and hoping/waiting for nudity that never arrives. The art is lovely though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just finished Manhattan Projects Volume 4. SO much has happened in 20 issues. Great series. Issue #20 had a direct reference to the first page of The Incal that would have gone over my head if I hadn't just started reading that a couple weeks ago when they reprinted it.

With Acid_8 (or something like that) not posting anymore I'm not sure who else reads this series. He posted about it a lot.

Also, Black Beetle: Necrologue #1 was supposed to come out 10/23 of last year. It got delayed to December, then the summer, then this fall, and now previewsworld says 12/31/14. How could you miss two Halloweens for releasing your horror mini?

I still read it in trades, love it so much. When I flicked through the last volume I remember thinking "eurgh big monster, this might be boring" and then the big monster happened to be the funniest character in the whole book and I loved it ten times more. It's wonderful.

DarkFlow

Banned
Sooo I need some new things to read on Marvel Unlimited. I just got done with all they have of Superior Spider-Man. I did not enjoy it, and I hope whoever thought this idea up was fired and then shamed.

Anyway I'm open to whatever, don't care about jumping in the middle of a run or anything, so any ideas would be helpful.

Sooo I need some new things to read on Marvel Unlimited. I just got done with all they have of Superior Spider-Man. I did not enjoy it, and I hope whoever thought this idea was fired and then shamed.

Anyway I'm open to whatever, don't care about jumping in the middle of a run or anything, so any ideas would be helpful.

Superior is awesome and you should feel bad for not liking it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Dark Horse's January solicitations came out yesterday. No Black Beetle in sight.

However... on October 5 he said: "Planning to get the next mini rolling beginning of 2015 - and it's gonna be longer :)"

We'll see.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Sooo I need some new things to read on Marvel Unlimited. I just got done with all they have of Superior Spider-Man. I did not enjoy it, and I hope whoever thought this idea up was fired and then shamed.

Have you read Hickman's Fantastic Four? Greatest run of comics ever.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nope, but I will now. You happen to know what issue he starts on. If not I think can search for him.

#570, but there is a Dark Reign mini beforehand that apparently does some setup (don't know for sure, haven't read it so it's not "essential" for the arc). If and when the story gets to "nu world" and you want more info, read the actually-not-terrible Mark Millar run as well.

Word of warning (but also encouragement!) - Hickman's FF starts off fairly dense and it might throw a lot of stuff at you that is confusing. Just go with it, he pays everything off and it's glorious. But it does demand faith and attention on behalf of the reader.

Also someone upthread (might even have been you!) was talking about Bendis' Daredevil - also very very good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
looking at hickman's wiki page I see this -

Astonishing Tales #1–6: "Bobby and Sam in Mojoworld" (script and art, with Nick Pitarra, 2009)

Has anyone else read this and can comment on quality? Bobby and Sam being Sunspot and Cannonball (I guess), plus Pitarra. Sounds dope.

DarkFlow

Banned
#570, but there is a Dark Reign mini beforehand that apparently does some setup (don't know for sure, haven't read it so it's not "essential" for the arc). If and when the story gets to "nu world" and you want more info, read the actually-not-terrible Mark Millar run as well.

Word of warning (but also encouragement!) - Hickman's FF starts off fairly dense and it might throw a lot of stuff at you that is confusing. Just go with it, he pays everything off and it's glorious. But it does demand faith and attention on behalf of the reader.

Also someone upthread (might even have been you!) was talking about Bendis' Daredevil - also very very good.
Thanks for the info! I'll check out Daredevil also.

Well damn.
Good looking out.

This may be happening tomorrow in statue form.

http://t.co/7v6iEyNS22

Damn,,, damndamndamn. Looks like I may be getting yet another statue. lol
I was hoping I could hold out till the Francis Manapul Batman Black & White Statue.
-

Love my physical comics. Honestly hate buying digital, I feel like I'm getting jipped. I've only bought a couple digital and that's because I cant find a number one issue or something.
All though it does suck I have like 100+ floppies waiting to be put away.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks for the info! I'll check out Daredevil also.

Well damn.

Good looking out.

SQUEEEEEEE it's so cool.

They do an origin for the beardy Reed about 40 issues later as a .1 issue and it's one of the best single issues I ever read. Comes out of nowhere, blew my mind out the back of my skull.

Seriously man, I just re-read the series (along with birdie) and it's a Top 3 run for me, maybe even number 1.

edit: I do wish they kept Brawny Sleeves-up Reed for the whole run, but eventually he goes back to normal. But I love the vibe that Eaglesham gives it at first, a real 40s kind of adventure tone, Indiana Jones with a physics doctorate.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Actually nerds, my last post is making me think... TOP THREE RUNS EVER, GO!

1. Morrison Batman
2. Hickman FF
3. Bendis Ultimate Spiderman

Honourary mention: Chuck Dixon writing all the Batman books in the 90s.

edit: lol I'm such a neophile. Maybe swap out USM for Sandman... MAYBE...

DeathyBoy

Banned

1. Morrison Batman
2. Hickman FF

1) Geoff Johns Green Lantern.
2) Bendis Daredevil.
3) Ennis Preacher.

Anyone read JL 35? It was pretty dope.

Lex takes Bruce on a tour of Lexcorp. JL keeping watch outside. Bruce asks to see Lex's secret lab... where his sister (mentioned in Forever Evil) resides. Bruce and Lex's sister trade bedroom eyes. Then Neutron ambushes the place, and JL spring into action, releasing Amazo Virus by mistake.

Also, Flash and Jessica Cruz are ridiculously adorable. 'bewightbk'

tim1138

1. Morrison Batman
2. Hickman FF

Morrison Batman
Claremont X-Men
Johns JSA

Morrison New X-Men
Bendis Daredevil
Snyder Batman

HonMen
Hickman Fantastic Four/FF
Fraction Iron Man
Fraction Hawkeye
Fraction Iron Fist
Claremont Excalibur
Waid Daredevil
Brubaker Cap
Remender Uncanny X-Force

I'd put Johns Green Lantern there but I can't in good conscience do it because it ended so wackly. Same for Moz's Batman because of so much Tony Daniel.

DeathyBoy

Banned
For Johns it was tough picking from his Flash, GL, and JSA runs. While GL is my favorite, I think JSA is his strongest.

It was also tough leaving off Waid's Flash run.

I just love how every Johns story (pre New-52) influenced the others. Stargirl to JSA to Flash to Teen Titans to Green Lantern to Superman to Flash again, it just built perfectly. Like he had his own continuity. Leading to Legion of 3 Worlds where he was bridging his JSA, Flash, Teen Titans, Green Lanterns and Superman runs perfectly.

Whoa wait we can count stuff like Sandman or Preacher?

Uh uh. Those aren't runs in the traditional sense. Those are confined stories. That should be a different list. And mine would be:

100 Bullets
Vimanarama
Scalped

HonMen
Preacher
The Invisibles
We3
Sandman
Watchmen

But...where does Hellboy/BPRD go? Shit.

Boogiepop

Heavy bondage-themed superhero satire.

It's hilarious, adorable, and sometimes serious.
+1 to the series being awesome. And I'm not even a fan of titilation in comics (not a fan of the fan service).

I also totally have the Bubblegum Crisis trade he wrote back when he was doing comics of anime, not that I'd particularly recommend it (though the Bubblegum Crisis Ovas and Parasite Dolls/the good AV Police are all great in their own ways).

Fintan

I just finished Volume 4 of Manhattan Projects last night too. It's a really great series, so funny. Finds consistently funny, interesting and surprising ways to go with the characters. And all the new characters they introduce, like the blue monster, are equally as good. I need to check out more of Hickman's indie stuff. I've been loving his Avengers run too.

VeeP

Why, cause it's SUPERIOR? Doc Oak was a asshole, and I was just counting down till he reverted back.

I thought that was part of the charm. You know he's a dick, egotistical, etc., but you KNOW at the end he's gonna lose and Peters gonna come back.

Have on read Spider Island? It preceded Superior by a few arcs. Really fun Spider-Man run.

As someone above said, Hickmans F4. It's great.

Have you read Mark Waids Daredevil?

Messi

Can I just say how much I've been enjoying the last few issues of Captain Marvel. The last two issues in particular changed art and it's really good looking. Not that the previous art was bad. It's such a light fun story and I really dig Carol, Tic and Rocket.

Patrick Gleason is doing amazing things in the entire Batman and Robin run, goodness.

Fixed that for you and I totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom