• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So for anyone in Chicago or familiar with Chicago comic shops -- I'll be in Chicago sometime soon and I'll have time to visit one Chicago comic shop -- any suggestions?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I really cant make top lists, especially no top three, but these are my favourite runs so far:

Amazing Spider-Man by Stan Lee
Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
Captain America by Ed Brubaker
Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian M. Bendis
Astonishing X-Men by Joss Wheedon

ReAxion

That sucks,,, my floppies never get errors.. :)
Sorry I'm an ass I know lol

My floppies are waiting for me at the store! I just won't have anything from today to read on my break in a couple hours.

e: Okay they just got back to me. It was a Paypal issue. EVERYTHING IS FINE!

lazygecko

I really dislike the idea of bringing Peter back in Ultimate Spider-Man. I mean, this is the one ongoing where they had a chance to actually pull that off and make it stick. A possibility to avoid tired and predictable tropes such as comic book deaths. But that opportunity was squandered. The best I could hope for at this point is Morlun showing upp and offing him for real.

I really dislike the idea of bringing Peter back in Ultimate Spider-Man. I mean, this is the one ongoing where they had a chance to actually pull that off and make it stick. A possibility to avoid tired and predictable tropes such as comic book deaths. But that opportunity was squandered. The best I could hope for at this point is Morlun showing upp and offing him for real.

Doesn't matter. 1610 won't exist in a year's time anyway.

Branson

So I'm getting a 6 Plus soon according to Apple and want to start reading comics digitally. Is comixology the best app/store for that right now? Also I'll probably pop back in here for some recommendations on where to start on some series lol.

So I'm getting a 6 Plus soon according to Apple and want to start reading comics digitally. Is comixology the best app/store for that right now?

Comixology is the best. Just about everything you would want is available on it and they have the best reader for phones. They run deals all the time too.

The only major publisher not on there is Dark Horse and their mobile app is awful.

Saw your edit, feel free to ask for recommendations!

OldRoutes

So I'm getting a 6 Plus soon according to Apple and want to start reading comics digitally. Is comixology the best app/store for that right now? Also I'll probably pop back in here for some recommendations on where to start on some series lol.

Yeah, it has everything except Dark Horse IIRC.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Top three runs? I haven't read too many full runs, since most of the long-running series I've read are self-contained and not necessarily runs, and a few of my favorite runs, I haven't read all of yet so I feel I shouldn't put on my list (Fraction's Hawkeye, Waid's Daredevil), but here we go:

Grant Morrison/Richard Case: Doom Patrol
Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon: Marvel Knights Punisher
Peter Milligan/Mike Allred: X-Force/X-Statix

I don't think having definitive ends should count against it. In fact, they should probably be a huge favor FOR, instead of just "random assortment of issues this guy did before leaving". I love that Hitman is just Ennis/McCrea's thing, they did 60+ issues and ended it exactly where it was gonna end all along. Great run of comic books.

I wouldn't count something like Watchmen or All-Star Superman, though, 12-issue finite stories, nah. Longterm stuff, spanned for multiple years.

I really, really, really need to read Hitman. That's been on my must-read list for a while now, but somehow this past week while I've been obsessed with Ennis stuff, especially his less super-serious stuff, I've completely forgotten about Hitman. Which is a shame, because I probably would've added a few volumes to my Ennis-only IST order last week. I'll try to add some to another order soon though.

lol OMG they took out the AXISAXISAXIS from the preview but it was too late to do it in the actual issue

#dead

Hahaha. Too good.

ReAxion

I love this one.

tumblr_ncrilpq7iq1rz9pzoo5_r1_500.jpg

http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/100088898311/weirdvector-felipesmithart-translucid-1-6

Sadist

New Avengers #25

Slower paced issue, but shit's going down.
Braddock: I'm the only Captain Brittain left :eek:

Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #6

Goddamnit Bendis, just when you think you're done with the guy... story spoilers ofc
So, it's actually Peter Parker. He's not dead. He's not a clone. Apparently he woke up in an Atlanta facility and it looked like everybody ran out all of a sudden. He went back to New York and wanted out. Checked his coffin, nothing there. Wanted his webshooters back, get out of New York and never trouble May again. But you know, May and Gwen found out anyway.

Oh yay super mega happy ending! WRONG. Osborn didn't die at the hands of Jameson. Nope. He has some sort of healing factor now. So he kills (or horribly maims) JJJ by making his head light up. If Osborn wasn't crazy enough, he is now. He think he's immortal now. So Miles fights him "Oh hey MJ can I borrow your couch?" and he absolutely destroys in Stormin' Norman in the fight. But Norman has another ace up his sleeve; Miles should respect him because he knows how Miles was created... he knows who his father really was! Legit shook.

So I'm guessing Miles's dad was the original Prowler and Aaron took over his mantle? Or was Aaron his real father?

X-Men and Avengers: Sixis #2

I had a hard time reading this. It wasn't really bad, but not good either. I did however like the stunt Magneto pulls at the end. That'll show 'em!

Death of Wolverine #4

Ah man, that's one shitty death :/ I dunno, it makes sense... but at the same time it's a bit lame. The amount of books following his death is a bit meh. Oh well. See you in a year Logan!

Kipp

Guys. We're only halfway through the month and we already have almost as many posts as last month's thread.

fauxtrot

Banned
So Ultimate Spider-Man jumped the shark?

LOL@ stupid Spoiler. Based Bendis. Dude should stop writing comics.

Dude can write good comics, but I feel like a lot of guys have a hard time staying humble once they've reached a certain level of respect. They don't have anyone telling them "yeah, that's a dumb idea" anymore, so they start thinking every little thing they think up is going to be awesome. That's my assumption, at least.

I'm glad I have Wednesdays off lol

I am glad to have a regular 9-5 office job, but Wednesdays are a tough day to get through...

Kipp

Oh geez! I just realized that the Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil Ultimate Collections are starting to become out of stock! I've been spending so much on comics this month... But I also need to get these before I can't anymore. Gaaaah. Why is life so hard.

What in the actual fuck at that Ultimate Spider-Man spoiler?

Holy crap at New Avengers too. My boy Kev Walker killing it on art though.

"I'm the only Captain Britain left." Guess Spider-UK is doomed in Spider-Verse.

Zombine

Banned
Oh geez! I just realized that the Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil Ultimate Collections are starting to become out of stock! I've been spending so much on comics this month... But I also need to get these before I can't anymore. Gaaaah. Why is life so hard.

I would expect a new collection.

fauxtrot

Banned
So how many of these officially announced DC films do we think will be decent? I'll be surprised if half of them are as good/better than Man of Steel (which, to me, was a watchable but seriously flawed film).

"Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" (2016)
"Suicide Squad" (2016)
"Wonder Woman" (2017)
"Justice League Part One" (2017)
"The Flash" (2018)
"Aquaman" (2018)
"Shazam" (2019)
"Justice League Part Two" (2019)
"Cyborg" (2020)
"Green Lantern" (2020)

Man of Steel left a bad taste in my mouth so I'm not hopeful about any of the movies they've announced. But I know they have to get good at some point if they want to compete, and I kind of sort of have enough faith in Chris Terrio. I very much hope I'm proven wrong because while I'm not much of a DC reader I'd love for them to have a successful film run like Marvel is enjoying.

Kipp

I would expect a new collection.

Yeah, I have a feeling the omnibuses will get reprinted with the Netflix series coming up. Do I hold off? Or do I buy these new copies of the Ultimate Collections for IST prices?

It'd be easiest for me to just hold off right now, since spending any extra money on top of what I already plan to spend this month would be painful. I'll trust Marvel to do something that will make them easy money and assume that the books will get reprinted in some form or another soon.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The only one I am waiting for is Superman/Batman and Wonder Woman. Will watch every other one at some point, too, but I have to hype for those.

Drayco21

Man of Steel left a bad taste in my mouth so I'm not hopeful about any of the movies they've announced.

This is how I feel too. I hated Man of Steel and didn't care for the whole Nolan Trilogy. I'll be cautiously optimistic and hope for the best, but I'm content with the CW TV universe for my live action DC needs.

fauxtrot

Banned
If Suicide Squad is based on Ostrander and not N52 it could be great.

David Ayer is a great filmmaker (he wrote Training Day and wrote/directed End of Watch) but his past movies and the current WB/DC rumors make me think they're going to go the ultra-serious route with this film, which is worrisome.

Fintan

What is everyone's opinion of Morlun? I actually liked a lot of the Spider-Totem/JMS run and I appreciate that it's being acknowledged. Slott seems good at pulling stuff out of Spidey's continuity/backstory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom