• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Messi

In what ways?

They have such high quality paper and the covers are card stock. They are glossy in parts and just feel worth the money they are asking for. You should buy one to see. If you have Six Gun Gorilla it is like that. Lumberjanes is worth a purchase anyway.

Messi

The Yamato USA Wonder Woman kind of okay?

Still no. I have to be careful of Hot Toy orders first. I missed Iron Man and Hawkeye ultron figures due to this recent job loss. I have Scarlet Witch on order and Ant Man. With Batman vs Superman coming up next year and Suicide Squad/Civil War I need to be careful.

I want it though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Taking a break from reading my backlog in the release order so I can focus on Avengers stuff before Secret Wars starts on MU (which should be soon?) so:

Avengers World #17 - cute issue focusing on Cannonball and Smasher, how they ended up on the Shi'ar world with a baby. Cool little nostalgic moment when Sam and Bobby go to Magik for some interstellar assistance, dat New Mutants reunion. Just a flashback / bridge issue with all the insanity that's going on but I dug it. I wonder what will happen to Sam and Izzy in ANAD marvel, probably just forgotten until some writer uses them again in a few years.

New Avengers #30 - You know how sometimes (some would say most times lol) Hickman's writing is a little up it's own ass? This was one of those issues. Hank comes back and explains to the group what is happening on a galactic level and it ain't pretty with the Beyonders fucking shit up. What's also not pretty is how confusing it all is with the builders and the ivory kings and the map makers and a bunch more random shit that Hickman comes up with. At one point Hank says "what i saw was beyond human comprehension, I'm not even sure what was happening", well welcome to the club Hank. Or maybe Hickman was just being super meta. Anyway i just want secret wars to start at this point tbh.

Avengers #42 - Now this is more like it. Amazing issue with the shit about to hit the fan. The Shi'ar and their army of multi alien races are coming to blow up Earth, Scott is a arrogant prick with a trick up his sleave (which i now know was the phoenix egg), Namor is a arrogant prick with no pheonix egg, Reed and T'challa talk about their elitist noahs ark (which of course was Valeria's idea because shes smarter than them lol) and the GotG come to warn earth so they can get the fuck out of dodge and all the heroes are like "nah". Hell of an issue.

VanWinkle

They have such high quality paper and the covers are card stock. They are glossy in parts and just feel worth the money they are asking for. You should buy one to see. If you have Six Gun Gorilla it is like that. Lumberjanes is worth a purchase anyway.
Oh that's pretty awesome. I added it to my amazon wish list. Is it something I will enjoy as a 27 year old man?

whoops

edit: wrong fucking issue loooool

Edit: No you can't relax. Nothing is ever safe.

Thank fucks I didn't see the edit. lolol

I'm going to wait until tomorrow (well, 9PM today) before purchasing more issues, on the off chance there's a sale. I doubt it, but you never know.

Messi

Oh that's pretty awesome. I added it to my amazon wish list. Is it something I will enjoy as a 27 year old man?

I enjoy it as a 29 year old man. It has a child like wonder while being very funny. Two thumbs up.

Thank fucks I didn't see the edit. lolol

I'm going to wait until tomorrow (well, 9PM today) before purchasing more issues, on the off chance there's a sale. I doubt it, but you never know.

Buckle up, the next few issues are a crazy cool ride of emotions and awesomeness. Then you can join us in waiting patiently for november and take your drip feed once a month for 6 months.

Are you enjoying it? Do you have any characters you really like? My fave is Alana.

PsychBat!

Banned
Taking a break from reading my backlog in the release order so I can focus on Avengers stuff before Secret Wars starts on MU (which should be soon?) so:

Avengers World #17 - cute issue focusing on Cannonball and Smasher, how they ended up on the Shi'ar world with a baby. Cool little nostalgic moment when Sam and Bobby go to Magik for some interstellar assistance, dat New Mutants reunion. Just a flashback / bridge issue with all the insanity that's going on but I dug it. I wonder what will happen to Sam and Izzy in ANAD marvel, probably just forgotten until some writer uses them again in a few years.

New Avengers #30 - You know how sometimes (some would say most times lol) Hickman's writing is a little up it's own ass? This was one of those issues. Hank comes back and explains to the group what is happening on a galactic level and it ain't pretty with the Beyonders fucking shit up. What's also not pretty is how confusing it all is with the builders and the ivory kings and the map makers and a bunch more random shit that Hickman comes up with. At one point Hank says "what i saw was beyond human comprehension, I'm not even sure what was happening", well welcome to the club Hank. Or maybe Hickman was just being super meta. Anyway i just want secret wars to start at this point tbh.

Avengers #42 - Now this is more like it. Amazing issue with the shit about to hit the fan. The Shi'ar and their army of multi alien races are coming to blow up Earth, Scott is a arrogant prick with a trick up his sleave (which i now know was the phoenix egg), Namor is a arrogant prick with no pheonix egg, Reed and T'challa talk about their elitist noahs ark (which of course was Valeria's idea because shes smarter than them lol) and the GotG come to warn earth so they can get the fuck out of dodge and all the heroes are like "nah". Hell of an issue.
Nah. NA >>>>A.
And what you saw aren't Hickman's creations. Those are cosmic entities.

Buckle up, the next few issues are a crazy cool ride of emotions and awesomeness. Then you can join us in waiting patiently for november and take your drip feed once a month for 6 months.

Are you enjoying it? Do you have any characters you really like? My fave is Alana.

Hmm I like Marko, Izabel, Ghus, Dengo, and oddly enough, Robot Prince IV. Kinda feel like IV is a product of his environment; it's not totally his fault he's a dickweed.

Boogiepop

So wait, guys, Astonishing X-men's supposed to be great, yeah? But does that only apply to the Whedon run? Like, post that is it a "you should definitely continue on", or a "drop it then and there", or maybe even just okay?

So wait, guys, Astonishing X-men's supposed to be great, yeah? But does that only apply to the Whedon run? Like, post that is it a "you should definitely continue on", or a "drop it then and there", or maybe even just okay?

I've never read, but I think I've heard mixed things about Ellis' run.

I tried to read the Ellis run that followed and hated it.

Owzers

i'd abandon ship after Whedon's run. Gillen wrote a competent follow-up story to Whedon's run called "Breaking Point" but even then it was just okay.

Speaking of Ryan Murphy, you guys ever seen Nip/Tuck?

That's by default his best show just because of how fucking bananas it was.
Ugh I hate nip tuck. Gross show about stupid shallow people

My wife loves it.

I like American horror story even though it seems to get stuck in 2nd gear often

Ugh I hate nip tuck. Gross show about stupid shallow people

My wife loves it.

I like American horror story even though it seems to get stuck in 2nd gear often

It was one of the first serialized shows I ever watched, but I knew it was just a show that was so ridiculous, it was fun to see how they would top themselves next.

On the other hand, it had some of the best outlandish villains, like Colleen and the Carver.

Boogiepop

I've never read, but I think I've heard mixed things about Ellis' run.

I tried to read the Ellis run that followed and hated it.

i'd abandon ship after Whedon's run. Gillen wrote a competent follow-up story to Whedon's run called "Breaking Point" but even then it was just okay.

Thanks guys. That's a shame, but it definitely makes things easier. Thinking I may just grab the Morrison New X-men trades and the Ultimate Collections for Whedon's Astonishing off IST while they still have the 45% thing running and I've got the 2%, since I've never read those runs and I was kind of craving some X-men, and they don't add up to too crazy of a price...

Tizoc

Generally the Whedon run is praised, but the Ellis run has its fans, look at it mainly as authors writing their own stories using famous/popular x-men characters, and you may enjoy it :)

Shaanyboi

Banned
So finally the other night I finished the entirety of Grant Morrison's run on Batman. It's been an off-and-on again thing for the last couple years, but I finally plowed through the rest of it and finally put it down yesterday.

....christ

lol, that's all I can really say. From so many fun moments, to long dour stretches of bitter confusion and desperation, this series went everywhere it possibly could. Not all of it made much sense, but I'll be damned if there wasn't commitment. Final Crisis was undoubtedly the weakest segment. From kind of a cool idea of Darkseid already being on Earth and conquering it from within, turning people with just a cultish phrase, that's a fantastic story. But then it gets into this nonsensical metanarrative about the multiverse and the Supermen from all worlds etc...

Morrison seems to overextend his reach, and his ambition, while undoubtedly commendable and mesmerizing, doesn't always make for the best reads. Whenever he reaches into the cosmic or the surreal, it just becomes feverdream that I would just read to say that I read. It doesn't always work, but his core ideas are always fascinating and entertaining that I have to kind of forgive the worst parts. It's the same thing with The Return of Bruce Wayne and Bruce's time traveling adventures. The individual stories were cool and fascinating, but the framing device with this time-traveling monitor thing etc... that stuff just was not compelling and really didn't pay off.

I felt that Final Crisis: Revelations was a little more in-line with what I thought was cool about the whole Final Crisis concept. That's not by Morrison, but it stars The Question, Huntress, and the Spectre. How could I not read that?

I also read Battle for the Cowl, but felt that just like Final Crisis, it was a cool idea wasted. Largely due to Tony S. Daniels not writing Damian particularly well, nor did he manage to flesh out any of the characters to any substantial degree. The various tie-ins were pretty entertaining though. I particularly enjoyed the issue about Gordon.

I enjoyed seeing Damian progress through this whole thing, largely due to his growth and brotherhood with Dick in Batman and Robin, and felt his death was well handled. But largely I felt Batman Inc. went too long, and alot of its early stuff with Leviathan wasn't too compelling, atleast pre-52. I don't know how I would've handled reading this month to month. That said... yo, Batcow. BATCOW. And that's actually a big part of what made Batman Inc. enjoyable overall, despite its flaws. I appreciated seeing his various Batman Inc. members grow and evolve. I felt Squire's story, starting all the way back with The Black Glove came to a good conclusion for her. Would've enjoyed to read more about Nightrunner, however the single issues introducing him aren't on Comixology at the moment.

But yes.... I have come out the other side of this changed, and I kinda don't really know where to go next. It's a strange feeling...

Also the Internet 3.0 stuff? Woof... awful to look at, a slog to read.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nah. NA >>>>A.
And what you saw aren't Hickman's creations. Those are cosmic entities.

What? You talking about the Celestials or Beyonders? Im talking about all the shit Hickman made for his run, Alephs, Builders, Mapmakers, Ivory Kings, The yellow guys, thats all Hickmans stuff

Anyway, Avengers World #18 - more flashbacks, this time with the Cabal killing a random world with medieval fantastic four, for a little namor / alternate sue scene, but most of the issue is about how Bobby bought AIM. Aparently they didnt take down lightly. Bit of a filler issue but im looking forward for the next when Sunspot takes on AIM.

New Avengers #31 - The reveal issue. Not much to say that hasn't been said, great issue. Strange being a badass but getting overwhelmed by the swans, and then the reveal. Sucks that I didnt read it "live" but what are you gonna do. I hope Hickman explains how Doom was Rabum all along, he is afterall a stickler for detail.

Tizoc

So finally the other night I finished the entirety of Grant Morrison's run on Batman. It's been an off-and-on again thing for the last couple years, but I finally plowed through the rest of it and finally put it down yesterday.

....christ

lol, that's all I can really say. From so many fun moments, to long dour stretches of bitter confusion and desperation, this series went everywhere it possibly could. Not all of it made much sense, but I'll be damned if there wasn't commitment. Final Crisis was undoubtedly the weakest segment. From kind of a cool idea of Darkseid already being on Earth and conquering it from within, turning people with just a cultish phrase, that's a fantastic story. But then it gets into this nonsensical metanarrative about the multiverse and the Supermen from all worlds etc...

Morrison seems to overextend his reach, and his ambition, while undoubtedly commendable and mesmerizing, doesn't always make for the best reads. Whenever he reaches into the cosmic or the surreal, it just becomes feverdream that I would just read to say that I read. It doesn't always work, but his core ideas are always fascinating and entertaining that I have to kind of forgive the worst parts. It's the same thing with The Return of Bruce Wayne and Bruce's time traveling adventures. The individual stories were cool and fascinating, but the framing device with this time-traveling monitor thing etc... that stuff just was not compelling and really didn't pay off.

I felt that Final Crisis: Revelations was a little more in-line with what I thought was cool about the whole Final Crisis concept. That's not by Morrison, but it stars The Question, Huntress, and the Spectre. How could I not read that?

I also read Battle for the Cowl, but felt that just like Final Crisis, it was a cool idea wasted. Largely due to Tony S. Daniels not writing Damian particularly well, nor did he manage to flesh out any of the characters to any substantial degree. The various tie-ins were pretty entertaining though. I particularly enjoyed the issue about Gordon.

I enjoyed seeing Damian progress through this whole thing, largely due to his growth and brotherhood with Dick in Batman and Robin, and felt his death was well handled. But largely I felt Batman Inc. went too long, and alot of its early stuff with Leviathan wasn't too compelling, atleast pre-52. I don't know how I would've handled reading this month to month. That said... yo, Batcow. BATCOW. And that's actually a big part of what made Batman Inc. enjoyable overall, despite its flaws. I appreciated seeing his various Batman Inc. members grow and evolve. I felt Squire's story, starting all the way back with The Black Glove came to a good conclusion for her. Would've enjoyed to read more about Nightrunner, however the single issues introducing him aren't on Comixology at the moment.

But yes.... I have come out the other side of this changed, and I kinda don't really know where to go next. It's a strange feeling...

Also the Internet 3.0 stuff? Woof... awful to look at, a slog to read.
Morrison's stuff is best understood upon further re-read of his work.
Final Crisis is mostly about comic books fighting for itself when you think about it.

Boogiepop

Okay, so here's a bit of a weird question that popped into my head: has 616 Peter Parker had a run that just nailed it? Like, whenever the topic of "I want to read Spider-man" pops up, the go to answer is usually Ultimate (which is of course great), or a mini (like Spider-man and Human Torch, or Spider-man and Wolverine), or sometimes Superior (which is really about a different character, honestly). Like, there's the classic stuff, but that's more something I respect than feel like I'd recommend to someone (I enjoyed reading what I did from the Essentials well enough, but that was more of as an interesting historical thing than "oh, this is a great story!") And sometime I feel like people recommend the Brand New Day era stuff, maybe? Or was it the Big Time stuff? Or both? (I'm honestly not super well versed and haven't read the stuff).

Just feels weird that he's such a big character for the company, yet nothing really comes to mind as something that gets thrown around as a fantastic run for him.

There were story arcs in BND that were really great like Shed or any issue that had Marcos Martin on it but it was a bit uneven. That's just gonna happen when you have 5 rotating writers on a book. Gauntlet had some good parts too.

Big Time is great since it includes Spider Island buuut I wish Ramos stayed far away from any Spider-Man book

Rhaknar

New Avengers #32 - Welp... RIP Nightmask, Starbrand, Hyperion, Odinson, Ex Nihilo and Abyss ;_; Another great issue as the posse actually kills 2 Beyonders but they are of course no match for the horde of them. Everything dies :(

Avengers #43 - The Shi'ar and their galactic buddies are here to destroy earth and the colective gadgets of both Sunspot's AIM and Tony's planetbuster warship arent enough to stop them. Ok issue, felt like filler mainly because i dont really care about the Shi'ar army when I know they are hardly the real threat.

And im all caught up, hopefully those last issues are in tomorrow's update so Secret Wars can start soon

frye

Okay, so here's a bit of a weird question that popped into my head: has 616 Peter Parker had a run that just nailed it? Like, whenever the topic of "I want to read Spider-man" pops up, the go to answer is usually Ultimate (which is of course great), or a mini (like Spider-man and Human Torch, or Spider-man and Wolverine), or sometimes Superior (which is really about a different character, honestly). Like, there's the classic stuff, but that's more something I respect than feel like I'd recommend to someone (I enjoyed reading what I did from the Essentials well enough, but that was more of as an interesting historical thing than "oh, this is a great story!") And sometime I feel like people recommend the Brand New Day era stuff, maybe? Or was it the Big Time stuff? Or both? (I'm honestly not super well versed and haven't read the stuff).

Just feels weird that he's such a big character for the company, yet nothing really comes to mind as something that gets thrown around as a fantastic run for him.

I mean, Spidey's like Fantastic Four, the classic stuff is the one that nailed it.

But I kinda know what you mean and that run would've/should've been the JMS run. And it kind of is? The thing with the JMS stuff is that it goes spectacularly off the rails and anyone recommending does it with the caveat that you should bail the fuck out once JRJR does.

PsychBat!

Banned
New Avengers #32 - Welp... RIP Nightmask, Starbrand, Hyperion, Odinson, Ex Nihilo and Abyss ;_; Another great issue as the posse actually kills 2 Beyonders but they are of course no match for the horde of them. Everything dies :(

One of the best issues.

VanWinkle

Had a busy day of comics.

Batgirl of Burnside Vol 1 (#35-40 and excerpt from Secret Origins #10) - Quite enjoyed it. Doubt I'll buy another volume of it unless it's on a really cheap sale like this one was, but I still liked it. Very nice art, silly dialog and fairly lighthearted story. Pretty good. Don't regret it.

Gotham Adventures #1 - Touched on it earlier but I loved this so much. Art style looks fantastic and fits the Batman The Animated Series style perfectly. Nice 39 page self-contained story with the characters acting appropriately to how they should. I just really liked it. I'm going to buy a few other issues at some point soon.

Ms Marvel #1 and #2 - This came upon very randomly. I went on Marvel Unlimited because I remembered that I forgot to cancel it last month (I will resubscribe when I finish more of my backlog). So I cancelled it and looked around the app since I still have until the 27th to use it. The series wasn't like I thought it would be. I assumed it was a traditional storyhero thing. I'm not entirely sure how much I like it, but it was very interesting and I definitely didn't hate it.

Avengers Origins: Vision - This came upon the same way. Just browsing the app. I really don't even know the character so I figured this would be a good excuse to learn. I LOVED IT. Fantastic. Amazing art, good writing, and the character is interesting, too. Very very cool.

Superman Birthright (Issue #1) - I was going to start reading this story next after cleansing my palate with some singles, and read the first issue. I think I'm really going to like it, BUT, I just keep looking and looking at my Planetary Omnibus like I have for the last week, which leads to...

Planetary Omnibus (Issue #2) - I am finally going to go all in and read this. Just read the second issue and it was very cool though felt really short for some reason. I guess it's because I've been reading so insanely much today.

Whew. 13 issues covering a variety of stuff. I spent pretty much my whole day reading comics, lol.

witty valiant comeback
image.php

Rhaknar

Uncanny Avengers #3 - ok issue continuing the counter earth story. Vision gets freaky with counter Vision, Wanda and Pietro get their asses whooped by someone with both their powers and their retconned history continues to fall even deeper down the retcon hole. And Creed is a mindless slave beast which sucks because he was cool in the first 2 issues. I seem down on this but im actually enjoying this series.

Howard the Duck #1 - this was alright. Its actually less "wacky" than I expected, and its a shameless plug to the GotG end credit scene (theres even a joke about it) but there was some funny moments and some cool cameos. Im intrigued to read more at least.

And now I gotta do some work.

Rhaknar

One last thing, for the past few months when i wasnt reading anything that MU sub felt like such a waste (I'm too lazy to cancel it lol), but man when you get back into it, you are reminded how good a value it is. Its really ridiculous if you don't mind the delay / arent actively reading monthly Marvel.

Owzers

I'm watching more Scream Queens and i don't know how to explain why....maybe it is Heroes-tier.

I feel like at night when comics-gaf goes to sleep i can do whatever i want here and there are no consequences. Hmmm what to do.....

edit: I know, how about i say something to the effects of Harley Quinn being a mistake?

Anyone disagree? No? Then this matter is settled. If you buy Harley Quinn's Little Black Book the best case scenario is that DC accidentally put a different book inside of it.

Tizoc

I'm watching more Scream Queens and i don't know how to explain why....maybe it is Heroes-tier.

I feel like at night when comics-gaf goes to sleep i can do whatever i want here and there are no consequences. Hmmm what to do.....

edit: I know, how about i say something to the effects of Harley Quinn being a mistake?

Anyone disagree? No? Then this matter is settled. If you buy Harley Quinn's Little Black Book the best case scenario is that DC accidentally put a different book inside of it.

It's 8 AM over here.
Harley Quinn isn't a mistake, this ComicGAF community blowing up the character's popularity is a mistake.

Top Bottom