• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Tizoc

Greg Rucka's Wolverine run still holds up.
Read up til Issue #8 during work and really enjoyed it. Robertson's art was superb too.

Read some camix

MODOK Assassin #5: A good ending. That's all I got, really.

The Cavalry #1: SHIELD 50th Anniversary one-shots have been up and down. This one is up. I really, really liked it. May's my favorite character in AoS, so this was dope as hell. The action figure variant was cool too.

SHIELD #10: This damn book....I swear. Laughing constantly. Good shenanigans.

X-Men '92 #4: I do believe I'll be reading the ongoing when that happens.

Also picked up Realm of Kings, Green Lantern: No Fear, Moon Knight volume 1 (Warren Ellis), and New 52 Nightwing volume 3.

Hillary Clinton is going to be on tonight's Saturday Night Live premiere.....i think that's a thing people care about?

Also, on the WWE Network is BROCK LESNAR, in caps, because they only know how to yell his name.
Paul Heyman is the greatest thing about BROCK LESNAR and currently one of the best things in the WWE.
i don't really want to sound too critical, but Age of Ultron was just plain bad. It has editorial fingerprints all over it. It originally was just going to be a special one shut which was then expanded to 10 issues. Hitch only did like 4 issues before Pacheco and some other fill in artist came in.

The story direction changes for no real narrative reason that you can justify. It goes to being about a nihilist future ruled by ultron to a story about how Wolverine and sue Richards debate about killing Hank Pym. I shit you not when I say Ultron isn't even in the book.

Pick up Rage of Ultron instead by Remender, Opena, Larraz, and White. Haven't read it myself but it's bound to be much much better.

That was hilarious. Age of Ultron is the biggest Marvel event offender of an unresolved ending just for a new status quo.
AoU was cool for the first few issues. Then it just becomes a confusing mess of a fucking book and I had no idea what to get out of it, since I wasn't reading comics at the time.

Owzers

Paul Heyman is the greatest thing about BROCK LESNAR and currently one of the best things in the WWE.

AoU was cool for the first few issues. Then it just becomes a confusing mess of a fucking book and I had no idea what to get out of it, since I wasn't reading comics at the time.

I like Heyman too but it's like E3 hype that has no games, a lot of the time he has a great talk but there's nothing in the show to make use of it.

I like Heyman too but it's like E3 hype that has no games, a lot of the time he has a great talk but there's nothing in the show to make use of it.

It's true, but with the current roster in the WWE, he's the only one with any real mike skills and promo cutting skills and he's not even a damn wrestler.

I was hoping it wouldn't have ended on such a cliffhanger, haha. Are you going to go straight to volume 2?
I think so yeah. Going to try and wait until the week to start reading since I have some studying to catch up on buy that'll be the next book. Hopefully volume 2 doesn't have a bad cliffhanger again. That should be the last physical book I bought so just my digital copies from batman day. I think I only have Grayson and batgirl left but I need to check.

Can't decide if I want the premium yearly marvel unlimited. The stuff seems cool but I feel a year or two from now I'll just consider it clutter and throw it out.

tm24

So something that's been bothering me. Who are the white skinned dude and the women in Hail Hydra's Nazi Avengers? The white skinned dude seems familiar but the women is a mystery to me

EDIT: Found out the white skinned dude is The Drain from Winter Soldier: The Bitter March. Randomly remembered that was a thing.

Zombine

Banned
I have had at least four people laugh at me over the past two days when I said I wasn't going to spend a whole lot at NYCC.

Decided to pick up a graphicaudio cd for my long drive this weekend. Was expecting at best a story that was so cheesy you can laugh at, but I thought it was pretty entertaining. I picked up the 52 ones. Kind of want to check out COIE, IC & FC. Had no idea audio books existed for comic books.

Infinite Crisis was the first one they did and still holds up. COIE is great with the dual narrators but drags in the middle.

My main GA recommendations are Batman: No Man's Land, Guardians of the Galaxy: Rocket and Groot Steal the Galaxy, Civil War and Ms. Marvel: No Normal.

Yeah I thought AoU was looking good until about the 3rd issue. Bendis fatigue was in full effect here at the time since we had a lot of jokes about decompression when it was coming out. I thought it was gonna turn out well in the beginning but nooooope. That quality swerve
c59321aa7e.gif
Ha that's a great gif

It's all one big story that eventually disappoints you, you shouldn't have reached disappointment this early. Vol 2 was kinda good. Also, I stumbled upon a new Guardians book while browsing dcbs' update. Did you guys know Abnett is back? Weird.
Your avatar is quite fitting

whaaaa......
I may have gone in with very high expectations. The change to the mythos doesn't bother me but the story didn't get past a 7/10 rating for me. I thought the conflict resolution plot point had to little build up so I didn't think it was very impactful.

The art wasnt as good as I was thinking it might be either. There were some great pages and layout designs but there were some pretty rough parts. Panel to panel continuity was a bit whack at times. Fill in artist work was so and so. Some weird panels with poorly executed perspective relative that resulted in some weirdly size body parts. I have vols 2 and 3 so I'm in it for at least that long

Boogiepop

Since Ultron was brought up in here earlier, I feel like the Busiek/Perez Avengers Omnibus is an easy enough thing to suggest there. Has a very solid Ultron story, plus as a bonus it's a nice, solid omnibus in general. It has a touch of the feeling a bit older (for me it felt like it was straddling the line between what I consider "older comics" and "newer comics"), but yeah, if you're looking to be introduced to that stuff seems like a good enough place. And it also has the really great Avengers Forever in it, so that's a plus too.

Edit: Ha, of course it's mentioned like immediately before I type out this post! Well, double coverage then I guess.

Since Ultron was brought up in here earlier, I feel like the Busiek/Perez Avengers Omnibus is an easy enough thing to suggest there. Has a very solid Ultron story, plus as a bonus it's a nice, solid omnibus in general. It has a touch of the feeling a bit older (for me it felt like it was straddling the line between what I consider "older comics" and "newer comics"), but yeah, if you're looking to be introduced to that stuff seems like a good enough place. And it also has the really great Avengers Forever in it, so that's a plus too.

Edit: Ha, of course it's mentioned like immediately before I type out this post! Well, double coverage then I guess.

You can never recommend a good thing enough!

Neoxon

I don't know if I was the only one who missed this, but after re-reading Squirrel-Girl's recent comic, it seems like they (subtly) retconned her origins to make her not a mutant. Now Squirrel-Girl is just a human with partial squirrel blood.

Screenshot_2015-05-29-13-35-04%257E2.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-29-13-36-22.png
Screenshot_2015-05-29-13-44-34%257E3.jpg

Granted, it's not as blatant as what Marvel did with Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch's origins, but the idea is the same.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Also falls into the category of not in a mutant book so nobody cares that she's a mutant.
To give Neoxon a point, Marvel has the rights for Squirrel Girl (dont ask me why), so it could be that her Origin will be changed at some point.

Owzers

dcbs order in for December books:

50% off trials:
Patsy Walker aka Hellcat #1
Starbrand and Nightmask #1

rest:
East of West, Invincible, Paper Girls #3, Saga, Walking Bread

Doctor Strange, Howard the Duck #2, Karnak #3, Secret Wars #9 of totally not going to 10, Ultimates #2

missed:

Switch 2 and 3 depending on if i like #1, Black Science 17 and 18 depending on if i switch to OHC waiting, a brand new Guardians book, Bruce Timm Wonder Woman statue in favor of Amazon returning, God Hates Astronauts vol 3 since i need to read vol 2 first.

Mostly boring month i think, i don't recall the last time dcbs had 75% off specials on some first issues.

VanWinkle

Guys, how is Grant Morrison's Multiversity? I'm looking at this, and it seems pretty interesting. Also, is there any required reading or is this a standalone story? I'm always a little intimidated looking into Grant Morrison's stuff because it always seems like it's part of something bigger. I bought Batman RIP at a used book store a while back and found it it's just one small part of a long running batman story by Morrison. So I just want to be sure.

Owzers

Stabbed in the back by sillymonkey not getting switch. :( thought we were twinsies.

I ordered #1, it's in Sejic's hands now. I try to avoid pre-ordering more issues until i've read the first, so far out of all the new books i'm trying i've done so for Paper Girls.

Would Lumberjanes appeal to an eight year old girl? Thinking I might get it for my daughter for Christmas.

She reads MLP, Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel, and is planning to try ANAD Avengers and New Avengers

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Guys, how is Grant Morrison's Multiversity? I'm looking at this, and it seems pretty interesting. Also, is there any required reading or is this a standalone story? I'm always a little intimidated looking into Grant Morrison's stuff because it always seems like it's part of something bigger. I bought Batman RIP at a used book store a while back and found it it's just one small part of a long running batman story by Morrison. So I just want to be sure.
You get everything if Multiversity with this Deluxe Edition^^

Messi

Would Lumberjanes appeal to an eight year old girl? Thinking I might get it for my daughter for Christmas.

She reads MLP, Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel, and is planning to try ANAD Avengers and New Avengers

Absolutely. It's perfect for that age group.

Multiversity is great stuff. It's a bunch of one-shots all set in various alternate worlds. They're connected but it's not anything you really need prior knowledge on to enjoy. Everything needed to read it is in the hardcover.

I don't know if I'd recommend it to someone who hasn't really read Morrison before though. I'd say try something like All-Star Superman or We3 or something first.

VanWinkle

Multiversity is great stuff. It's a bunch of one-shots all set in various alternate worlds. They're connected but it's not anything you really need prior knowledge on to enjoy. Everything needed to read it is in the hardcover.

I don't know if I'd recommend it to someone who hasn't really read Morrison before though. I'd say try something like All-Star Superman or We3 or something first.

Well I actually did end up reading my copy of Battman RIP despite it technically being connected to earlier stuff and I still really liked it.

Top Bottom