• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Harley Quinn, she maims and murders at the drop of a hat but it's okay because then she makes puppy eyes and saves animals and pretend-lesbians and that makes everything all right.

PsychBat!

Banned
Messi pls respond

Harley Quinn, she maims and murders at the drop of a hat but it's okay because then she makes puppy eyes and saves animals and pretend-lesbians and that makes everything all right.

Not even Marvel's equivalent if not more popular counterpart, Deadpool, does that.

Tizoc

Now that's just taking it too far man...
All the girl ever wanted was to marry that psychopath clown and live a happy life with him til the end of their days.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All New Hawkeye #1 - was...fine. It was fine like the Hawkeye / Deadpool series was fine. The way you guys talked I thought it would make my dick fall off or something. Obviously cant touch the Aja run but on its own it was a fun read. The flashback scenes have amazing art too. I guess I just have low standards.

Spidey & the X-Men #3 and 4 - Continues to be a fun book, but I'm not feeling it like the rest of gaf is I guess. And you wanna talk about something not being as good as a previous run, this has nothing on that original WATXM run (of course you can argue its different books). I want more "but I don't want to cure cancer I want to turn people into dinosaurs" moments, and less drama / mystery about a mole in the x-men.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I enjoyed the first issues of Manifest Destiny and Rasputin. I think I'm going to buy an issue each weekly until I get caught up.

All New Hawkeye #1 - was...fine. It was fine like the Hawkeye / Deadpool series was fine. The way you guys talked I thought it would make my dick fall off or something. Obviously cant touch the Aja run but on its own it was a fun read. The flashback scenes have amazing art too. I guess I just have low standards.

Spidey & the X-Men #3 and 4 - Continues to be a fun book, but I'm not feeling it like the rest of gaf is I guess. And you wanna talk about something not being as good as a previous run, this has nothing on that original WATXM run (of course you can argue its different books). I want more "but I don't want to cure cancer I want to turn people into dinosaurs" moments, and less drama / mystery about a mole in the x-men.

Spidey & the X-men doesn't really find its groove until the last issue. Not sure if the comic stopped because of low sales or if the writer realized he was the headwriter of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart and went back to his day job.

Realm of Kings...man this Cancerverse....what would happen if the Avengers got on some Cthulu shit, is what this is. Which is a godlike concept, honestly.
o4lzqeP.gif
I can dig it
So wait, guys, Astonishing X-men's supposed to be great, yeah? But does that only apply to the Whedon run? Like, post that is it a "you should definitely continue on", or a "drop it then and there", or maybe even just okay?
I have yet to read beyond Whedon, but Whedon's run is godlike. Then again, I really like Whedon, so there's that.

Spider-Man and the X-Men is a godsend of a book and you will LOVE IT or so help me god...

Also I really liked Hawkeye vs. Deadpool. Got me to like Wade a little bit. Also I thought it was hilarious.

Where does Raven rank among spellcasters?

I mean, we talking just DC? Because you got:

Constantine
Zatanna
Zatara
Dr. Fate
Felix Faust
Circe
Mordru
Morgan le Fay
Tala
Nick Necro
Enchantress

Plus some of those dudes from the Cult of the Cold Flame

There are some peeps, is what I'm saying. That's not even close to the full roster, here.

ElNarez

Banned
I mean, we talking just DC? Because you got:

Constantine
Zatanna
Zatara
Dr. Fate
Felix Faust
Circe
Mordru
Morgan le Fay
Tala
Nick Necro
Enchantress

Plus some of those dudes from the Cult of the Cold Flame

There are some peeps, is what I'm saying. That's not even close to the full roster, here.

I'm gonna say this: if we're going for best magician, you need to take off Constantine, Felix Faust and Nick Necro because, and I'm saying this as a Constantine fan, John Constantine is fucking terrible at magic. Guy can't even do the simplest thing without causing horrible mental or physical harm to his loved ones, or the ones he hates, or anyone really. And that's when they don't die. Or worse. He wins by either drunkenly stumbling into one lucky break or getting others to do the shitty thing for him.

ERGO : anyone who lost to him ever is a major chump.

I'm gonna say this: if we're going for best magician, you need to take off Constantine, Felix Faust and Nick Necro because, and I'm saying this as a Constantine fan, John Constantine is fucking terrible at magic. Guy can't even do the simplest thing without causing horrible mental or physical harm to his loved ones, or the ones he hates, or anyone really. And that's when they don't die. Or worse. He wins by either drunkenly stumbling into one lucky break or getting others to do the shitty thing for him.

ERGO : anyone who lost to him ever is a major chump.
I'm not saying any of them are the best, I'm just listing major magic users. John isn't really that bad. It's just that, like you said, he doesn't give a shit about the consequences, and when that bites him in the ass, he weasels his way out of it somehow. Usually by diverting to someone else. I've always found him to be clever, it's just that his self-destructive tendencies botch his shit all the time.

ElNarez

Banned

Magneto is a genocidal xenophobic murderer.

Deadpool is a mercenary.

HAL JORDAN, DUDE, WHERE THE FUCK DO I EVEN START

THE PUNISHER: ALSO, HE'S A THING

dude, that's maybe the most bullshit post you've ever made

Messi

I really hope that Betty and Veronica Adam Hughes book still happens. That would be so beautiful for the 5 or do issues he would draw.

Mindwipe

Magneto is a genocidal xenophobic murderer.

Deadpool is a mercenary.

HAL JORDAN, DUDE, WHERE THE FUCK DO I EVEN START

THE PUNISHER: ALSO, HE'S A THING

dude, that's maybe the most bullshit post you've ever made

Barry Allen has probably killed more people than anyone ever. He's history's greatest monster.

Messi

Oh I remember some of you were asking about the Southern Bastards hardcover and whether or not it is oversized. It's not. It's regular sized and hardcover. Disappointing but the book is nice quality.

Oh I remember some of you were asking about the Southern Bastards hardcover and whether or not it is oversized. It's not. It's regular sized and hardcover. Disappointing but the book is nice quality.

Oooh, forgot that was out this month. I've only read the first issue so definitely picking it up.

More that if you see a story where John is legit slinging spells, someone should be prohibited from ever using the character again. He's the unknown quantity. Technically a shit magician that will avoid all but the most minor magic tricks until required to not be one, then he can pull off whatever he needs to pull off, cost and consequences be damned.

Or, to put it another way: what other magician can one 100% say could defeat JC? Especially if he knew they were coming?

*this is for the classic hellblazer depiction, obv. No idea who that asshat in JLD was.

Avatar Press Warren Ellis sale. Hmm.

Coriolanus, get in here, I need some recs

Gravel is ok. Ellis's take on occult Punisher. Nothing special, but very readable. Horrendous art, tho.

Haven't read Wolfskin. Both amazon and goodreads put it firmly is "meh" territory.

Ironically they didn't bundle Supergod, which is like, one of the best Ellis tales in a very long time. Or No Hero and Black Summer. Apparently because those three (all good) were bundled back in june. Oh well.

Hagi

Gravel is ok. Ellis's take on occult Punisher. Nothing special, but very readable. Horrendous art, tho.

Haven't read Wolfskin. Both amazon and goodreads put it firmly is "meh" territory.

Ironically they didn't bundle Supergod, which is like, one of the best Ellis tales in a very long time. Or No Hero and Black Summer. Apparently because those three (all good) were bundled back in june. Oh well.

All of those are in the UK bundle.

No Hero is one of the most fucked up superhero comics I've ever read. Not sure I'd say it's good (been a while since I read it) but it's definitely worth experiencing. Might buy Supergod the one or two issues I read were interesting.

Can I convince one of you guys going to NYCC to grab me some specific Valiant swag? I'll pay cost, shipping, and a little extra.

I'll grab those laat three. Thanks.

These are some ugly ass comics lol not in a bad way, I like Juan Jose Ryp's art, but it's so intentionally gritty.

Messi

I wanted to buy a book today but it was sandwiched between two Valiant books so I just left it. Don't want that Valiant stank.

I could sure go for a KFC right now, haven't been to one in years.

Was at home for a few days, didn't read much. Archie was as great as ever, gonna miss Staples but looking forward to where the story goes from here. Jughead this week!

Read a bit more Captain Marvel with the niece while babysitting, still really good but my brother's now worried about getting a kids Captain Marvel costume for Halloween. We're up to the Secret Wars book now, so I think we'll try Lumberjanes, Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl next. Ms. Marvel probably as I have all the TPBs already.

Also a few comics with my nephews, they're now Star Wars mad so we did the Obi-Wan issue of Aaron's run and a few issues of Kanan. We also watched The Empire Strikes Back for the first time (we watched A New Hope a few weeks ago), the look on their faces at the twist! So good.

Top Bottom