• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

I checked out this superboy character in Wikipedia, read the first couple paragraphs and still have no idea who this person is or how he connects to Superman, exactly. For that matter, who is Superman, even. There are two or something? And people say Marvel is confusing.

In the most basic summary, Superboy is clone of Superman and various other people (he has some Lex in him as well) as part of a project to recreate Supes. He doesn't have all the same powers, but basically a skillset that's good enough at replicating it.

The two Superman thing is a bit more complicated, with Post-Crisis and 52 Superman being two Superman from different times in DC's universe after line wide reboots. They made it easier to follow after a not so easy to follow storyline in which they basically were explained as "two halves of a fractured multiverse" and "became one" as DC's way of having it's cake and eating it too. Now, there is one Superman with a combined history of the two, so they can take the best stories and concepts from each of the timelines and mix them.

This is all off the top of my head/memory, and I'm trying to simplify it a bit. Others can probably explain it better.

Fixed, and accurate. If its not Conner with the shades and the leather jacket I'm not sure what we're even doing. Mopey Conner wasn't cool.

Edit: Okay I'm wrong. Cass rocked the T-Shirt and Jeans look eventually and that worked for her.

I stand by Some Nobody. This is the hill I will proudly die on. While T-Shirt and jeans is a good look and not necessarily bad even, it lacks all personality and style that Conner had before.

Damn Juniors with your bad opinions.

T-Shirt and jeans worked amazingly for Connor Kent in Smallville. PERFECT.

tumblr_n5d32wioeh1ssxc9vo2_1280.jpg

821588d17d03358814100888c3de5925.jpg

409ebe4f3ca21419ee2b964a11c6b51feb08895f_hq.jpg

Jon's hoodie look is much the same.

VeeP

Well at least he wasn't New 52 Bart Allen lol.

Oh man... that was something else. Lobdell fucked up so hard with New52 & the Titans. It's honestly hard to believe he's writing one of the best comics at DC right now.

Edit: If they bring back Conner, I really hope they bring back Ma and Pa Kent. I would love to see Conner interact with them regularly, and Jon too.

Edit 2: I would love a Krypto & Ace the Bathound series also...

Damn Juniors with your bad opinions.

T-Shirt and jeans worked amazingly for Connor Kent in Smallville. PERFECT.

Jon's hoodie look is much the same.

I think it's a fine design, and now that I think about it fits his maturing as a character at that point. Honestly just put a leather jacket on it and his shades and maybe then I'd be okay with it.

I just really like his old design, man.

I think it's a fine design, and now that I think about it fits his maturing as a character at that point. Honestly just put a leather jacket on it and his shades and maybe then I'd be okay with it.

I just really like his old design, man.

I get you. This was my old favorite look. A much cleaner version of the original look. He just needed normal sunglasses.

I get you. This was my old favorite look. A much cleaner version of the original look. He just needed normal sunglasses.

Yeah, I can dig it. Heck, I'll say I'm such a sucker for the black "S" that if you put it on there with some normal shades you'd have something going.

How has no one brought up JJ #13 directly
referencing Carol getting raped and impregnated as a joke? Because it's hilarious.

Also that issue is amazing and Bendis is a genius.

And y'know, for an arc called Sabretooth: Round Two, there wasn't very much Sabretooth to start me off.
Oh boy, New 52 Superboy... was... complicated. He's basically a clone of Superman & Lois's son, from the future (Jon Kent), created by an organization that wants to capture all meta humans and brought Superboy to the present time to help do that.

He fought the Titans, Supergirl, etc., and eventually became a good guy. And he actually had a really good death scene, it was a three part crossover with Superman/Supergirl/Superboy. Pretty good way to end him when all is said and done.

But then he came back after some time travel shenanigans, but he got replaced with Jon Kent. Jon Kent ended up back with the Titans in the present timeline, and masqueraded as Conor, while Conor stayed in the future I think.

Idk, that shit was confusing. And bad.
Oh that does sound fun
Well at least he wasn't New 52 Bart Allen lol.
Plz xplen

Dalek

referencing Carol getting raped and impregnated as a joke? Because it's hilarious.

Also that issue is amazing and Bendis is a genius.

And y'know, for an arc called Sabretooth: Round Two, there wasn't very much Sabretooth to start me off.

Oh that does sound fun

Plz xplen

I was actually shocked that Bendis wrote that. I thought for sure Marvel would never reference that again.

Sandfox

Oh that does sound fun

Plz xplen
Basically
they changed him to be a murderous criminal from the future whose real name is Bar Torr. Bart Allen is an alias and has he has no connection to Barry or the Speed Force. He leaves the team after fighting him and convincing him to accept his prison sentence, though I think he comes back after a while.
I'm pretty sure this is still the current rendition of the character.

I was actually shocked that Bendis wrote that. I thought for sure Marvel would never reference that again.
Bendis referenced it in the issue where
Danielle was born.

Plz xplen

New 52 Kid Flash is known as Bart Allen, but he was actually not an Allen at all. He was a guy called Bar Torr, trapped in the 21st century under future witness protection for crimes as a revolutionary trying to save his people from an oppressive regime.

Oddly enough, I have no clue what happened to him in Rebirth. They never completely got rid of him? He just... went away. I think the old Jon Kent version is still around somewhere too.

Basically
they changed him to be a murderous criminal from the future whose real name is Bar Torr. Bart Allen is an alias and has he has no connection to Barry or the Speed Force. He leaves the team after fighting him and convincing him to accept his prison sentence, though I think he comes back after a while.
I'm pretty sure this is still the current rendition of the character.

Bendis referenced it in the issue where
Danielle was born.

New 52 Kid Flash is known as Bart Allen, but he was actually not an Allen at all. He was a guy called Bar Torr, trapped in the 21st century under future witness protection for crimes as a revolutionary trying to save his people from an oppressive regime.

Oddly enough, I have no clue what happened to him in Rebirth. They never completely got rid of him? He just... went away. I think the old Jon Kent version is still around somewhere too.
New 52 TT sounds terrible.

Where's the omni so I can spend my money and read it all?

The whole Bar Torr thing sounds fine in theory. Connor Kent...eh, the extended Kents and Supers have always been weird.

I’m actually really happy DC didn’t just announce a Young Justice book when season 3 was revealed. Building up to it like this is much better.

I'm actually really happy DC didn't just announce a Young Justice book when season 3 was revealed. Building up to it like this is much better.

Honestly, after seeing this and realizing that it will never come true makes me saddest.
It is literally impossible to do that team within current continuity now.

Or was that Teen Titans? Doesn't matter. Still upset.

Messi

I checked out this superboy character in Wikipedia, read the first couple paragraphs and still have no idea who this person is or how he connects to Superman, exactly. For that matter, who is Superman, even. There are two or something? And people say Marvel is confusing.

I'm happy you got to not only see her, but enjoy her work in person. Must have been so exciting!

It was very surreal. She's really damn good. I was so impressed.

oh God damn. IST gonna be getting Hellboy in Hell Library Edition, Absolute Authority Vol.1, Walking Dead HC Vol.14, AND the Darkseid War omnibus this week. RIP

Dark Nights Metal #3
Mister Miracle #3
New Superman #16
Ragman #1
Black Science #32
Defenders #6
Gwenpool #21
Ms. Marvel #23
Doctor Aphra #13

Also:

Ugh, no. Too many books to soon. -_- Skipped Simonson Thor hoping for a better discount somewhere later. Will have to need to get Hellboy in Hell and Absolute Authority week 1 though.

Mh you are wounding me. Please just read Sejics arc. It's been so good. I don't even like Aquaman man. But dolphin is wonderful.
Sejic’s favorite aqua person~

Since he’s fulltime on Mercy next year, I guess this is the end of his Suicide Squad issues...

Hoping he can do a cover or two at least.

Ross61

I think Riccardo Federici who did Batman: The Murder Machine is the next Aquaman artist after Seljic. That would be fucking great, he's like DC's own Esad Ribic.

Vic_Viper

oh God damn. IST gonna be getting Hellboy in Hell Library Edition, Absolute Authority Vol.1, Walking Dead HC Vol.14, AND the Darkseid War omnibus this week. RIP

Plus the Grayson Omnibus I think. Luckily I preordered the Darkseid War at DCBS, plus they still haven't shipped the Batman Rebirth Deluxe or my Low HC so hopefully they will ship them all at once.

Can you read the Hellboy in Hell without having read much that came before it? I still have a ton of Hellboy on my backlog lol but I've heard great things about that storyline.

Also anyone here have the Buffy Season 8 library editions or Omnibus? What is the difference and which is the better buy?

Picking up:

Dark Knights Metal
Defenders

Messi

Sejic’s favorite aqua person~

Since he’s fulltime on Mercy next year, I guess this is the end of his Suicide Squad issues...

Hoping he can do a cover or two at least.

He told me he is currently pitching a different character / story for DC next year but he wants to work on mercy and death vigil for the next month's. Apparently DC wanted to keep him for good... His words but he had already committed to more mercy.

I would've imagined him to be more of a Mera person.

His favourite thing to draw is facial expressions and he says he is obsessed with making them better. He said Dolphin is the best character for his strengths.

I would've imagined him to be more of a Mera person.
Yep
I think Riccardo Federici who did Batman: The Murder Machine is the next Aquaman artist after Seljic. That would be fucking great, he's like DC's own Esad Ribic.
Didn’t Ribic do some pages for DC recently? Think someone joked that he had done more pages in one issue than in Legacy #1 which was marketed as a full Ribic issue before others got added a month before release.

Hellboy in Hell Library Edition this week? Finally, that's gonna be a gorgeous book. Everyone who hasn't finished the series yet is in for a real treat. Gonna grab that and a couple of other things later in the month.

Messi

Yep

Didn’t Ribic do some pages for DC recently? Think someone joked that he had done more pages in one issue than in Legacy #1 which was marketed as a full Ribic issue before others got added a month before release.

I was there when this person asked him that lol. You can tell he has loved doing DC stuff. He told me he will be back but wants to do his own books as those are his passion.

He is so nice. Linda too.

He told me he is currently pitching a different character / story for DC next year but he wants to work on mercy and death vigil for the next month's. Apparently DC wanted to keep him for good... His words but he had already committed to more mercy.

His favourite thing to draw is facial expressions and he says he is obsessed with making them better. He said Dolphin is the best character for his strengths.
How many pages is his Harley fancomic up to? Could see him touch that up and release it with DC sometime next year.

I’d love a Batwoman or Green Lanterns issue by him or even a short story in Action or Detective #1000.

Messi

How many pages is his Harley fancomic up to? Could see him touch that up and release it with DC sometime next year.

I’d love a Batwoman or Green Lanterns issue by him or even a short story in Action or Detective #1000.

He would have to do some work on it but I'd love to see it happen. Something like DC has done with SGM let Sejic do a OGN in his own continuity. His vision of Harley Ivy Batman and Joker is so unsettling.

He would have to do some work on it but I'd love to see it happen. Something like DC has done with SGM let Sejic do a OGN in his own continuity. His vision of Harley Ivy Batman and Joker is so unsettling.
Think Khouri has been retweeting every update he has posted to twitter. Khouri is also the editor for pretty much every book Sejic has been on at DC the last year.

Geist-

Just read the first issue of Tomboy after a recommendation and, wow, it really makes an impact. I can already tell I'm going to be really sad when I'm all caught up.

The moderator asks the panel what character they would want to do that they haven't yet.

Juan Ferreyra's pick is Superman.

Tim Seeley would love to work on Harley Quinn.

Orlando wants to work on his favorite DC character, Martian Manhunter.

Mirka Andolfo's pick is either Supergirl or Lobo.

Lupacchino would want to work on Catwoman and Robin.

Jorge Jimenez would want to work on Batman or Superman.

Dan Sampere would want to work with Swamp Thing and John Constantine.

Top Bottom