• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Dusknoir

Guys, give me a rundown on what's the top ongoings for Marvel right now. Thinking of catching up on one or two, at least, with the BOGO. Don't worry about covering Wolverine, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Ultimates off the top of my head (there's a couple more I'm at least semi-caught up on, but those are the ones I definitely don't need any recommendations for as I'm on top of them).

Also check out "Power man Iron fist" and "Black widow". I hear that they are good.

Sandfox

I'll probably give Flash Rebirth a try soon. I skipped it because the concept sounded meh and people on here were crapping on it.

Guys, give me a rundown on what's the top ongoings for Marvel right now. Thinking of catching up on one or two, at least, with the BOGO. Don't worry about covering Wolverine, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Ultimates off the top of my head (there's a couple more I'm at least semi-caught up on, but those are the ones I definitely don't need any recommendations for as I'm on top of them).

Based on your interests I think you would like:
-Power Man & Iron Fist
-Black Widow
-Spider Woman
-Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
-Silver Surfer
- Possibly even Gwenpool

If you pick from this list I would make Power Man and Iron Fist the first choice.

How Cable doing? Whats his current status with his technovirus infection?
I'm pretty sure he was cured.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Heard Spider-Gwen was really good and plays around with the history of Spider-Man. Worth checking out?

Also, and I know that the Destiny conversation died, is it possible to play earlier content in the game (strikes, expansions, raids, etc.) even if you level boost to 40? I imagine you can, but you will be overpowered.

@Boogiepop Black Panther and Doctor Strange is you are interested in those characters.

Sandfox

Heard Spider-Gwen was really good and plays around with the history of Spider-Man. Worth checking out?

Also, and I know that the Destiny conversation died, is it possible to play earlier content in the game (strikes, expansions, raids, etc.) even if you level boost to 40? I imagine you can, but you will be overpowered.

I don't think too many people here follow it, but the book has it's fans.

Messi

@Boogiepop Black Panther and Doctor Strange is you are interested in those characters.

Spider-Gwen is the most boring part of her own book. It's the laziest use of a cool idea I think I have ever seen.

Mindwipe

I finished reading Buffy Season 8.

Holy shit, that starts well and goes off the rails big time literally as soon as the antagonist is revealed huh?

I take it when Joss says in the afterword that they "lost some fans" it's because everyone went apeshit mental about it at the time right?

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Would you believe me if I told you there was a time some here complained I was too positive and that I never called books out on faults.

Sure; I mean, I'm as gullible as the next internet sap. Is it just the character? or is the story somewhat flawed. I did read a page, and she seems to talk the exposition too much, but that's gonna happen in a bunch of comics.

Sandfox

You either die a Birdie, or you live long enough to see yourself become sillymonkey

3c3b9f3298876a4472da1f3ed02852fb.jpg

Spider-Gwen is the most boring part of her own book. It's the laziest use of a cool idea I think I have ever seen.

I don't know if I believe you; you shit on everything.

He's right, though. Spider-Gwen so boring. Spider-Woman way better.

Would you believe me if I told you there was a time some here complained I was too positive and that I never called books out on faults.

I still complain about that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Dropped Spidey 2099 after this week, the story in 2099 is boring as fuck

Dropped Carnage too

Ross61

I'm thinking JL vs. SS is going to have a different artist for each issue. That might be problematic for the trade or for people who just want consistent art. Me personally, I'm if we just get great art and a great story.

Sandfox

I'm thinking JL vs. SS is going to have a different artist for each issue. That might be problematic for the trade or for people who just want consistent art. Me personally, I'm if we just get great art and a great story.

Well that's already how Rebirth is being handled, so if people are cool with that, they will be cool with this.

Messi

Sure; I mean, I'm as gullible as the next internet sap. Is it just the character? or is the story somewhat flawed. I did read a page, and she seems to talk the exposition too much, but that's gonna happen in a bunch of comics.

It's just the world they have built for her is so interesting and she happens to be the most generic thing in it. I had a problem with the exposition too. I thought the writing was very weak up until the most recent story where it's improved a bit. Early on it has the feeling of the creative team building a car while driving it. They didn't expect the idea to take off and it went from a one issue story to a full fledged ongoing and it shows.

Spider-woman from hopeless is much more confident in what it wants to be after the first Spider-verse issues end.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Early on it has the feeling of the creative team building a car while driving it. They didn't expect the idea to take off and it went from a one issue story to a full fledged ongoing and it shows.

Okay, now that sounds like something I wouldn't care to read. Thanks.

Anyone else reading Grant Morrison's Avatarex? If so, are you thinking of dumping it after reading issue #2? This just feels too Morrison-lite to me.

Picked up Supergirl Rebirth #1 and enjoyed it. Another for my monthly list.

smisk

Went to Baltimore Comic Con today! Saw a panel with Tom King and got to talk to him briefly, he also signed my Sheriff of Babylon #1!

luk5btqg3

Messi

She did A-Force? Thought that was a Wilson joint?

Oh, Secret Wars A-Force was her? That was definitely better than the ongoing. More fun, too.

oops secret wars of a-force based off the list.

I didn't even know who she was till The pussycat annoucement

The first A-Force book was by Marguerite Bennett and G Willow Wilson. I feel safe in saying Bennett was the driving force of that 5 issues as the quality and heart dropped dramatically after the reboot and all that changed was that she left.

Hey you guys remember when this was announced? I don't. But I just listened to a podcast interview with Lotay and she said that she is drawing it right now (right now was back at SDCC) and that it will be out early next year.

Haha I do actually remember this being announced, it was an image expo thing right?

Heard Spider-Gwen was really good and plays around with the history of Spider-Man. Worth checking out?.

Well I guess I got to the thread late, and drunk, but I really liked the zero volume, and I literally have the volume *1* on the way right now. I like it, it has a lot of style and the plot is very much driven by gwens character. The world is constructed around her like in any good character driven story. It's been build from the ground up thematic around gwen being bitten and all the stuff is reflections of things she has to deal with to grow (or fail). I liked latour 's winter solider alot too so i guess I just like his style. Never got to check out his wolverine and the xmen

The art is really good too, highly dynamic and suited to a spider book. I'd almost recommend it on art aline if the story was not good.

I'll wait for the inevitable sober impressions, and drunken retractions. lol

I already did my best at retracting my typos and goonies never die!

Also, I'd love to say I was drunk because the drinks were so cheap, but it was so expensive. £10 a round for two people, I felt like I was throwing a new potential trade in the incinerator each time I went to the bar.

mreddie

The first A-Force book was by Marguerite Bennett and G Willow Wilson. I feel safe in saying Bennett was the driving force of that 5 issues as the quality and heart dropped dramatically after the reboot and all that changed was that she left.

Basically Marvel wanted their Bombshells

I'm not the biggest Alex Ross fan. I think a lot of his stuff has too realistic a look to capture the feel of what a comic book is. His art is amazing, no question, but it throws me off to see it in a comic.
I felt the same way, but his art works so well for Kingdom Come in making them appear as gods, which really hits it home. Overall, I don't think KC would work without him. I love his covers, too
The concept sounds really cool, just wanted to here opinions before buying it. Thanks!
Pre-Secret Wars (just called Spider-Gwen) is pretty dope. Post-SW (Radioactive Spider-Gwen) I found to be rather boring and dropped it.
I finished reading Buffy Season 8.

Holy shit, that starts well and goes off the rails big time literally as soon as the antagonist is revealed huh?

I take it when Joss says in the afterword that they "lost some fans" it's because everyone went apeshit mental about it at the time right?
Yeah that shit really goes off the rails and makes no goddamned sense.

Top Bottom