• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Owzers

I'm sticking with it for now because I liked what I saw but the sooner Jim Lee's off the book the better.

I was hyped for the book but stopped pre-ordering future issues when the new format was announced, the first issue definitely did not change my mind. What there was supposed to win me over? The barfing? Because to me it seems like they settled on an objective that wasn't to win me over, but to exist. There is a Suicide Squad book on the market, it's not terribly written. Sure, not much happens, but the cover has Harley and that's what people wanted so we're calling it a win. So it only has a 12 page main story, you can buy another issue later this month, so now the reader is a winner too.

Ross61

I was hyped for the book but stopped pre-ordering future issues when the new format was announced, the first issue definitely did not change my mind. What there was supposed to win me over? The barfing? Because to me it seems like they settled on an objective that wasn't to win me over, but to exist. There is a Suicide Squad book on the market, it's not terribly written. Sure, not much happens, but the cover has Harley and that's what people wanted so we're calling it a win. So it only has a 12 page main story, you can buy another issue later this month, so now the reader is a winner too.
Again.... as soon as Jim Lee's gone then we can get a fully fleshed out story. I can't think Rob Williams is happy that he has to split up scripts and accommodate Lee. I can't believe the writer of Unfollow and Martian Manhunter would give us something of a let down, so I'm holding on to hope.

Suicide Squad #1: A mess. I'm going with birdie's yarking wordage. Here's your 12ish pages of a non-story with your on-rails back-up, and those first 12 pages were worse than my lowered expectations after they announced how the book would be formatted.

Congratulations on putting out a book that can share in the popularity of the movie, such a grand accomplishment.

God damn. I don't think I've ever read an angry Sillymonkey review.

VanWinkle

About 100 pages into the JSA omnibus Vol. 1 and it's really cool so far. I don't have a lot of familiarity with the JSA so I'm enjoying it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Suicide Squad wasnt even that a big disaster, its just one of these movies where I just shrug afterwards and think "ok?" and forget it then.

Even Thor 2 had more enjoyable moments. I mean, not a lot but at least a couple.

mreddie

Champions Variants

Champions_1_Allred_CBLDF_Variant.jpg

Champions_1_Anka_Third_Eye_Comics_Variant.jpg

Champions_1_Renaud_Fried_Pie_Variant.jpg

Champions_1_Stroman_Gamestop_Variant.jpg

]

Suicide Squad wasnt even that a big disaster, its just one of these movies where I just shrug afterwards and think "ok?" and forget it then.

Even Thor 2 had more enjoyable moments. I mean, not a lot but at least a couple.

It was fine, not as bad as reviews made it out to be. I saw it about two weeks ago and don't remember much about it now. Mostly, I was just glad it was a quiet cinema since I was kind of nervous about going out at night (film was rated 15A here so no daytime showings at the local cinema).

I want to see Kubo and the Two Strings, since it finally came out here, but the local cinema doesn't have it and I don't have a day to spare next week to get to the city. Sucks.

Champions Variants

Social media-styled covers? Man, I like Mark Waid, but this book is going to be so "How do you do fellow kids?" it hurts.

We still have Black Widow I guess. Or is that cancelled? Avengers should be good as well.

It was fine, not as bad as reviews made it out to be. I saw it about two weeks ago and don't remember much about it now. Mostly, I was just glad it was a quiet cinema since I was kind of nervous about going out at night (film was rated 15A here so no daytime showings at the local cinema).

I want to see Kubo and the Two Strings, since it finally came out here, but the local cinema doesn't have it and I don't have a day to spare next week to get to the city. Sucks.

Social media-styled covers? Man, I like Mark Waid, but this book is going to be so "How do you do fellow kids?" it hurts.

We still have Black Widow I guess. Or is that cancelled? Avengers should be good as well.

This from one Snapchat cover? That is the actual most popular social media channel for that age group? That's perfectly replicated?

Yeesh.

mreddie

I dunno, Archie shows Waid can still get kids these days

MOAR VARIANTS! That don't look awful.

For those wondering, Anka did the Porpoisescope cover.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Waid's work on Archie gives me a lot of faith in Champions

i also really need to read some Totally Awesome Hulk at some point

This from one Snapchat cover? That is the actual most popular social media channel for that age group? That's perfectly replicated?

Yeesh.

seriously... if you're going to complain about an older author failing to be 'in touch', you need to know what you're talking about.

seriously... if you're going to complain about an older author failing to be 'in touch', you need to know what you're talking about.

Oh I don't know about that. Pretty sure I know pandering when I see it. But eh, it's just a variant.

I still think we're going to get Strange Fruit Waid on this book and not Archie Waid though. The preview was bleh but I'll give it a chance.

TheFlow

Banned
screw you guys I am going home.

are they actually calling themselves champions in the book? or is that just the book title. nvm we probably won't even know till October preview

Sandfox

Oh I don't know about that. Pretty sure I know pandering when I see it. But eh, it's just a variant.

I still think we're going to get Strange Fruit Waid on this book and not Archie Waid though. The preview was bleh but I'll give it a chance.
There wasn't much there from a writing standpoint, but the preview looked good to me. Modern Waid has done more good than bad in my eyes.

mreddie

There wasn't much there from a writing standpoint, but the preview looked good to me. Modern Waid has done more good than bad in my eyes.

Waid is like the Running Back, he produces results when you give him the ball but needs his teammates to help him, hence why some of the artists are doing co writing duties lately.

Top Bottom