• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Messi

How many issues we talking?

I actually got confused. I love her stuff in Uncanny Avengers. Issue 9 onwards is the new arc and she is in it. Also its not Stegman on art thankfully Pepe Larazz does it and who doesn't love his Rogue.

92d46e17db3f98c3611565edad33c755._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
dd7610e2536c86362434849eba4a5ed5._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Shes also in ANAD Avengers and has been good. Tbh both books are in a good place and im enjoying them. She has been good in every book she has been in.

Sandfox

I actually got confused. I love her stuff in Uncanny Avengers. Issue 9 onwards is the new arc and she is in it. Also its not Stegman on art thankfully Pepe Larazz does it and who doesn't love his Rogue.

Shes also in ANAD Avengers and has been good. Tbh both books are in a good place and im enjoying them. She has been good in every book she has been in.

While that arc is good, Nadia isn't in that UA story. Janet plays a big role and will be joining the team though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When the fuck did they retcon "Anna Marie" into the comics?

Messi

While that arc is good, Nadia isn't in that UA story. Janet plays a big role and will be joining the team though.

I totally have the wasps mixed up don't I. what the fuck is even going on. I thought they were the same person. There is one with a suit and one former one no?

I guess its just Gambit? I hadn't seen it in ages before that. But then again I hadn't seen Gambit in years either.

Remember our Gambit? Me neither.

Owzers

Walking Dead #158 bothered me a little,
the battle seemed so poorly planned for how much prep they seemed to have. They know the whisperers are moving through walkers, yet they act shocked? Gabriel's death...your foot got caught on a bar after slipping? Panic ladders are the worst. Also not sure about negan just whacking Beta on the head with his gun and then having a chat, but that will probably go somewhere. Also the art for Gabriel varied in panels about which bar his foot was stuck on, sometimes his head was near the ground, sometimes his head was two bars up.

Sandfox

I totally have the wasps mixed up don't I. what the fuck is even going on. I thought they were the same person. There is one with a suit and one former one no?

I guess its just Gambit? I hadn't seen it in ages before that. But then again I hadn't seen Gambit in years either.

Remember our Gambit? Me neither.

According to Wikipedia:
Rogue's real name and early history were not revealed until nearly 20 years after her introduction. Until the back story provided by Robert Rodi in the ongoing Rogue series, which began in September 2004, Rogue's background was only hinted at. Her name was revealed as Anna Marie, although her surname is still unknown.

As for the Wasp thing you have Janet Van Dyne aka the original Wasp, who was a founding Avenger and Hank Pym's ex-wife. She was on Remender's original Uncanny Avengers team and is now rejoining the team after appearing in both books(to establish both her and Nadia's future roles) these past few months.

Then we have Nadia, the new Wasp who is featured in ANAD Avengers and will be joining the adjective-less Avengers book as well as getting her own ongoing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh thats who that Nadia person you guys have been talking about is, the new Wasp? Neat. So shes cool then?

Sandfox

Oh thats who that Nadia person you guys have been talking about is, the new Wasp? Neat. So shes cool then?

So far she has been portrayed as a really fun character and the guy they got to write her ongoing is most known for writing a book about women that kick butt lol.

Messi

According to Wikipedia:

As for the Wasp thing you have Janet Van Dyne aka the original Wasp, who was a founding Avenger and Hank Pym's ex-wife. She was on Remender's original Uncanny Avengers team and is now rejoining the team after appearing in both books(to establish both her and Nadia's future roles) these past few months.

Then we have Nadia, the new Wasp who is featured in ANAD Avengers and will be joining the adjective-less Avengers book as well as getting her own ongoing.

Ok I would have understood all of this if I had read the most recent ANAD Avengers which I just did. It's amazing and Freeza should read this issue as it is a perfect primer for her solo series. She's so adorable. Seems it's co written by her series writer. Nadia and Janet together is too cute.

Buy it Freeza. Shame the art was by Kubert and not Asrar. His art is fine but rough in a few panels. Asrar is a much better fit for Wasp issues.

Sandfox

Ok I would have understood all of this if I had read the most recent ANAD Avengers which I just did. It's amazing and Freeza should read this issue as it is a perfect primer for her solo series. She's so adorable. Seems it's co written by her series writer. Nadia and Janet together is too cute.

Buy it Freeza. Shame the art was by Kubert and not Asrar. His art is fine but rough in a few panels. Asrar is a much better fit for Wasp issues.
I agree.

Sandfox

What age is Nadia meant to be. I need to be able to categorize her friendships. Could she be friends with Gabby or closer to Magik, Ms Marvel and Miles (fuck Nova)

You take that back good sir!

All we know is that she's a teenager, but I would assume she's closer to Ms. Marvel in age.

Messi

So did anyone here pickup Eclipse #1 from Top Cow?

I find top cow to be questionable quality when it's not Sejic. I only step outside him for Aphrodite series or cyberforce stuff. The rest seems to be written by Matt Hawkins.

They announced a new Aphrodite X book this week actually

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I find top cow to be questionable quality when it's not Sejic. I only step outside him for Aphrodite series or cyberforce stuff. The rest seems to be written by Matt Hawkins.

They announced a new Aphrodite X book this week actually

Same. That's why I was hoping someone else tried it.

Rhaknar

Uncanny X-men #4 - im kinda into this. Definition of a guilty pleasure. Apparently these Dark Riders are inhumans, or some are...they really are pushing this inhumans vs x-men thing hard. Anyway thisnwill lead to Apoc Wars I guess. I like this Mags cliffhanger:

Old Man Logan #3 - Logan teams up with Kate, then fights Kate when she realises he's a psycho. Old Man Rogers shows up for the cliffhanger (this book has the cliffhanger game on point btw). This continues to be just great.

Amazing Spider-Man #9 - The whole Zodiac story seems to be coming to a close with the start of a new arc where shit is about to go down, and this issue was a nice return to form. Even if it has Spidey falling down to Paris...from space. Ita so elaborate and they acknowledge that its stupid and try to use all sorts of spidey gadgets to justify it so ill allow it.

Doctor Strange #6 - Last Days of Magic Part 1 kicks off proper and its fucked. Doc gets his ass handed to him and all magic is dead. Welp that was a short arc :3 Bachalo still the goat.

mreddie

Sandfox doin' work.

Janet and Nadia are dope, kinda relived Nadia isn't going full blown replacing Jan and the solo has a good team behind it.

Panther is dope thorugh, WHO TALKING TRASH ABOUT TCHALLA?

Scalped, Vol. 1: Indian Country
[5/5]: The setup and story in this volume reminded me of the Shield, especially in regards to the main character who starts off just as unlikable. The pacing was great and gave the characters and story a lot of room to breathe. The world building was natural and Aaron makes it feel like you've known this part of the world forever within just a few issues. The art is also fantastic and matches the tone and content of the story really well, adding to the general atmosphere in a lot of the scenes. However, it lacks in displaying the action with the level of brutality you would expect out of a title like this. And to tie it all off, the volume end with a pretty great and unexpected event flipping my expectations on their head as to how I thought the larger story might play out.

Birthright, #16
[4/5]: There's a lot of different characters here that I hope get fleshed out with deeper motivations as a lot of the backstory is still under mystery but the more this series moves forward, the more I'm anticipating some sort of twist that makes the relative black and white evil nature of God King Lore less so. But either the fleshing out or the reveal needs to happen soon as there's only so much you can stretch out a mystery like this.

Birthright, #17
[4/5]: The dialogue between the two mages was good, and it was refreshing to see that sort of blunt diplomacy between them but the comic is starting to feel like it is stretching its basic premise from issue 1 a bit thin and I especially don't like how we seem to be reverting to the "status quo" with Mikey.

Birthright, #18
[3/5]: Well, status quo it is. The setup for the next issue was pretty nice but this issue is really starting to confirm some of my fears with the comic and how it feels as though progression and pacing is slowing down in favor of stretching the premise out. This felt like a monster of the week type show, where at the end of the episode you have to revert back to normal so the characters don't develop too much.

Oops...was posting in an old thread. I'm an idiot...

Anyway, was just ranting about how I was looking into getting back into comics with spiderman(only thing I read back in the '80s), and disliking this whole reboot volume thing and alex ross' sorta lifeless covers

Anyway, was just ranting about how I was looking into getting back into comics with spiderman(only thing I read back in the '80s), and disliking this whole reboot volume thing and alex ross' sorta lifeless covers

I'm not a fan of the current Spidey run. Ended up dropping it. I recommend instead something that's been met with positive reception.

Last good Spidey story I really enjoyed was Superior Spiderman I think. But I haven't read much myself.

Sandfox

Marvel does that now for when they make notable changes to a book and/or a book is doing poorly and but they think it should get another chance.

Amazing Spider-Man has kinda been in a slump, but a big arc that has been in the planning for over a year starts next month and should be interesting.There are a ton of other Spider-Man books going on right now as well, but if you want to catch up, my recommendation would depend on how far you want to go back.

I'm not a fan of the current Spidey run. Ended up dropping it. I recommend instead something that's been met with positive reception.

Last good Spidey story I really enjoyed was Superior Spiderman I think. But I haven't read much myself.

Marvel does that now for when they make notable changes to a book and/or a book is doing poorly and but they think it should get another chance.

Amazing Spider-Man has kinda been in a slump, but a big arc that has been in the planning for over a year starts next month and should be interesting.There are a ton of other Spider-Man books going on right now as well, but if you want to catch up, my recommendation would depend on how far you want to go back.

Yeah, it seems my old fave isn't so hot lately. I'm honestly not interested in any other titles. Mostly comes down to nostalgia for the amazing spider-man title. Maybe I'll just pick up where I left off after the mcfarlane run. Seems they went to #700 before they started over

Re-reading Bendis' Moon Knight: This is just a lot of fun. However, I have no idea what Bendis is doing here. Marc is channeling three other Avengers, but why? I'm going with the assumption that he's getting back into the superhero game, and as a result he's trying to be better, so he attempts to mimic those three? Cap and Spidey I get, but I can't say early-00's Logan is anyone to idolize.
About 100 pages into the JSA omnibus Vol. 1 and it's really cool so far. I don't have a lot of familiarity with the JSA so I'm enjoying it.
Man that shit's fucking great. My faves are Dr. Midnite, Alan Scott, Star Girl, Jay Garrick, and Atom Smasher.

For marvel probably. Harley #1 got 50, batman #1 got 100.
I wass gonna say Power Rangers #0, but damn I didn't know Harley and Bats had that many.
I dunno, Archie shows Waid can still get kids these days

MOAR VARIANTS! That don't look awful.

For those wondering, Anka did the Porpoisescope cover.
Wonder World cover looks dope as fuck. Mostly because Viv is showing some actual emotion that isn't mild irritation or apathy.
Can see Blackbolt is having similar problems
Yo though I need that variant
sorry for your loss
I'm way more hyped for Unstoppable Wasp than I ever was for Black Panther, though I do really enjoy BP.
According to Wikipedia:

Is the Jan in Uncanny Avengers Janet Van-Don't-Give-a-Fuck? Because that Jan is amazing.
Uncanny X-men #4 - im kinda into this. Definition of a guilty pleasure. Apparently these Dark Riders are inhumans, or some are...they really are pushing this inhumans vs x-men thing hard. Anyway thisnwill lead to Apoc Wars I guess. I like this Mags cliffhanger:
UXM never gets better.

Sandfox

Man that shit's fucking great. Dr. Midnite's one of my favorites.

I wass gonna say Power Rangers #0, but damn I didn't know Harley and Bats had that many.

Wonderland cover looks dope as fuck. Mostly because Viv is showing some actual emotion that isn't mild irritation or apathy.

Yo though I need that variant

I'm way more hyped for Unstoppable Wasp than I ever was for Black Panther, though I do really enjoy BP.

Is the Jan in Uncanny Avengers Janet Van-Don't-Give-a-Fuck? Because that Jan is amazing.

UXM never gets better.

I haven't read much else of Jan so I don't know how this meshes up with with how she was previously portrayed. She seems more likable in these two books than she was in what I have read her in though.

Also, I told you there are people that like Uncanny lol.

tumblr_mfr201Am721rcpgdxo1_1280.jpg

I haven't read much else of Jan so I don't know how this meshes up with with how she was previously portrayed. She seems more likable in these two books than she was in what I have read her in though.

Also, I told you there are people that like Uncanny lol.

Just making sure that she remains a boss. AND I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THOSE PEOPLE EXIST.

Doctor Strange #6 - Last Days of Magic Part 1 kicks off proper and its fucked. Doc gets his ass handed to him and all magic is dead. Welp that was a short arc :3 Bachalo still the goat.

It's going to be a miserable wait til October to read this in the 2nd trade. I really enjoyed Aaron's whole vision for magic in the MU.

AND WHATS IN THE CELLAR

Scalped, Vol. 1: Indian Country
[5/5]: The setup and story in this volume reminded me of the Shield, especially in regards to the main character who starts off just as unlikable. The pacing was great and gave the characters and story a lot of room to breathe. The world building was natural and Aaron makes it feel like you've known this part of the world forever within just a few issues. The art is also fantastic and matches the tone and content of the story really well, adding to the general atmosphere in a lot of the scenes. However, it lacks in displaying the action with the level of brutality you would expect out of a title like this. And to tie it all off, the volume end with a pretty great and unexpected event flipping my expectations on their head as to how I thought the larger story might play out.

Fuck yeaaaa. So good. It really manages to throw you for a loop when you think you know what's going on, both at the end of #1 and the end of the volume. I remember the barn fight in that volume being pretty savage. Don't worry haha, there's definitely some brutal stuff as it goes on. Nothing about the book ever feels safe imo. It's just not too gratuitous. Glad you liked it man, you're giving me the itch to reread.

Highlights of volume 1:
Dash is in the FBI?! Gina gets Scalped. The Belcourt mystery/subplot. Red Crow and how much of a bastard he is. Carol's tits. What can I say, Guera can draw em.

I got half way through that Super Heavy/Bloom arc last night, up until the Jock issue. REALLY liking it, depending how it plays out, it might end up my favourite arc since the Court/City Of Owls. I love Snyder's writing style so I've enjoyed his whole run but I kind of prefer when he's coming up with his own stuff to add to the batman sandbox, same thing I liked about The Black Mirror.

Finally.

Apparently the reason Champions is being pre-ordered so much isn't solely due to the many variant covers. The largest buyer of it is Scholastic AKA the same place Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl does most of their trade sales(and why the books are allowed to survive despite bad single issue sales). Guess the Disney connection got Marvel into that market.

Will be interesting to see if they'll buy much of #2 as well or wait for the trade like with the other kid hero books.

Does any other comic publisher get to sell their trades with Scholastic?

Thats the ones with book fair at the schools right? I've never seen that squirrel girl crap there but I got Lumberjanes and some plants vs zombies comics at those. And some cool Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman in school book.

Top Bottom