• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Read volumes 1-4 of East of West. Very entertaining and reads like Hickman is most interested in writing it out of his other series. Dragotta teeters between very good and ok. He doesn't draw angled faces and heads well and I have yet to see a convincingly angry face drawn by him. His tech design is often cool. Impressed by Martin's use of orange and blues.

sillymonkey changing is name is the final death knell for ComicsGAF
It was meh while it lasted

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Last night of work before 2 weeks off

giphy.gif

Messi

Hot damn, the ending to the vision #6! Really looking forward to seeing where the whole thing goes and how it ends. Tom King is definitely the real deal, I'm a believer now.

Obviously I haven't read the bat book but there is a big difference between having a fairly large amount of autonomy over lesser characters and being able to deliver a definitive take that has a beginning and end with, and something like Batman. Despite how good these have been, it wouldn't shock me to find him struggle, it's a different beast. Still looking forward do seeing myself anyway.

What if I told you I own a piece of art from Vision? What if I told you it was the final page of issue #1.

Li Kao

Hey guys, I'm in the mood for comics but I think I don't really have it in me to finish all the tie-ins to Secret Wars. Are they important for the continuity or mostly here to sell paper ?

Hey guys, I'm in the mood for comics but I think I don't really have it in me to finish all the tie-ins to Secret Wars. Are they important for the continuity or mostly here to sell paper ?

I really don't think you need any of them. I've heard some are quite good though. Thors and Weirdworld. The infinity gauntlet one too someone mentioned that was good the other day I think the old.man logan one explicitly leads into his series. But no its not like say Infinity. They were just for the writers and artists to have fun.

Sandfox

Some of them explain things one may consider important for the event or establish/introduce things that carry over to main universe.

I just finished reading the Planetary Omnibus for the first time and loved it. Can you guys recommend some good n large omnibuses or collections that stand alone in the same way? (Besides watchmen)

How's the 2006 Moon Knight run? By Charlie Huston and David Finch?

I want to read more Moon Knight, and when I envision Moon Knight, I envision David Finch's art from that run. I remember breezing over an issue back when it was ongoing and I recall the art really sticking in my head.

Yes. What type of story genre are you looking for? Any writer, character, in particular

I would prefer something in the SciFi or action vein. Probably not an arc from an established continuity that requires too much outside explanation. I like independent stuff best because of that, though obviously Planetary and Watchmen aren't indie, just more fringe.

Ross61

I'm actually really liking King on Batman. Thought it was a solid arc with a solid end, and I'm very interested in the things to come.

Owzers

WWE backlash...
Orton gets "hurt" before the match so Kane takes his place? Whattttttttttt? The Usos have TWO matches since they won the first they wrestle again the same night. And the main event involves Dean Ambrose.
This is the worst.

diaspora

How's the 2006 Moon Knight run? By Charlie Huston and David Finch?

I want to read more Moon Knight, and when I envision Moon Knight, I envision David Finch's art from that run. I remember breezing over an issue back when it was ongoing and I recall the art really sticking in my head.

Personally, I didn't care for it. I liked the Bendis, Ellis, Wood, and Lemire stuff though.

MartyStu

Invincible Iron Man 1 - 13

I hate Bendis as much as the next rational adult, but he has been doing a great job with Invincible Iron Man.

For the most part.

I particularly love nuDoom.

I would prefer something in the SciFi or action vein. Probably not an arc from an established continuity that requires too much outside explanation. I like independent stuff best because of that, though obviously Planetary and Watchmen aren't indie, just more fringe.
Hmmm. Ellis is great for action and self contained fun.

How about Global Frequency. It's 12 issues and setup more as an action procedural? Lots of great one and done action stories with good intensity

For crime style stories you can't go wrong with any of the Brubaker/Phillips efforts.
Sleeper - their crime/spy book
Criminal - crime stories
Fatale - a mix of femme fatale and Lovecraft style horror
Fade out - Hollywood industry "L.A. Confidential" style story

I'll need to think more for sci-fi. There's some going on now but they're not finished so I'm holding off recommending them.

Try The Incal for sci-fi. Gorgeous well developed sci-fi world and the book stands on its own.

Another good omnibus that stands on its own is Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison. You can go in without needing any prior knowledge.

You could also try Transmetropolitan. Cyberpunk.

Try The Incal for sci-fi. Gorgeous well developed sci-fi world and the book stands on its own.

Another good omnibus that stands on its own is Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison. You can go in without needing any prior knowledge.

You could also try Transmetropolitan. Cyberpunk.
Ah yea. Good sci-fi pics. Transmet is excellent

Invincible Iron Man 1 - 13

I hate Bendis as much as the next rational adult, but he has been doing a great job with Invincible Iron Man.

For the most part.

I particularly love nuDoom.

I think the book is great but inconsistent. In the beginning it wasn't much of an issue because the dialogue and character interactions were good. But 13 issues later, slow plotting becomes a problem.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
AJ Styles and Kevin Owens are your WWE champions. Did I fall through a wormhole into another dimension, one that doesnt suck maybe?

Owzers

Doctor Strange #11: Empirikul is a silly name and i can't keep but smirking when i read it. Now that the Empirkul have been defeated...smirk smirk. Apart from that i thought the issue did a good job of moving past that arc but not enough to keep me buying monthly over MU.

Top Bottom