• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Boogiepop

Man, I hope you guys are proud of yourselves for hyping up Omega Man enough for me to choose to purchase it, because it's been singlehandedly holding up my IST order for a week, with that pure white bubble of sadness.

Also, man, I forgot how much truly unlikable art can mess stuff up. Reading through the 14th of those Hellblazer reprint volumes (they've finally crossed the halfway point, yay!), and the first story arc... I really, really hate the art. Like, I don't mind mediocre art or anything, but this is just ugly to me, and it totally ruined what could have otherwise been a fine arc about John Constantine being in prison. Alas...

Messi

Wheres my wrestling bros at?

Fuck you all :(

tumblr_ne6qzaTgTE1u13u2fo1_250.gif

that time Cena absolutely launched Lita

JiWKiC.gif

Owzers

Wheres my wrestling bros at?

Fuck you all :(

I've been rather demoralized, even with Balor hurt they can't give the belt back to the rightful champ Roman Reigns? Seems insulting. That Ambrose/Styles match was prettttty good, but there seemed to be a lot of awkward/botched moves. I liked how Styles had to try to shake Ambrose's arms off his legs so he could do his Clash. "Hey, move your arms!"

Finally started reading the big Aphrodite IX hardcover from Image. Am I supposed to like any of these people? They all kind of seem like assholes.

Messi

Finally started reading the big Aphrodite IX hardcover from Image. Am I supposed to like any of these people? They all kind of seem like assholes.

I only like Aphrodite because she is being used to do horrible things. During the first volume I repeatedly said to myself 'please don't make her do that :(

Wait until you get to the part where Sejic's art changes completely from that super detailed art to the Sunstone/death vigil style. It's at the end of the first arc where they took a break. His art still looks great tho.

Also that book is nowhere near as long as it seems. There is a shit load of extra content. Nearly half the book.

frye

Man, I hope you guys are proud of yourselves for hyping up Omega Man enough for me to choose to purchase it, because it's been singlehandedly holding up my IST order for a week, with that pure white bubble of sadness.

Also, man, I forgot how much truly unlikable art can mess stuff up. Reading through the 14th of those Hellblazer reprint volumes (they've finally crossed the halfway point, yay!), and the first story arc... I really, really hate the art. Like, I don't mind mediocre art or anything, but this is just ugly to me, and it totally ruined what could have otherwise been a fine arc about John Constantine being in prison. Alas...

yeah Corben is a funky dude, I like his stuff for what it's worth but I can see it not working for a lot of people. The guy who draws most of what comes next is basically budget Eduardo Risso (this is actually pretty reductionist, he's quite good but I always think of him in this way) so that might be more your style

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Monday is MU update day fam.

Gimme all dat Standoff goodness Marvel
before CW2 shits the bed

MartyStu

Do any of y'all have a favorite DC character created in the New 52 era?

Hmm. Strangely enough, not really.

There are a ton of drastically re-written characters that I have grown to love in their own right, but no new ones.

To be fair though, there were not all that many new characters.

VanWinkle

Harper Row, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz, Duke and the We Are Robin crew, Jon Kent, New 52 Wally, Lincoln March, some of the gods in Azzarello's Wonder Woman run. There's some other's here too :http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/theoptimist/lists/top-100-dc-new-52-characters-new-creations-only/37106/

Only one I have more than a few issues of time with is Harper Row, so I will say her.

Most of those in the link seem to be villains. If we include those, I will say the court of owls. Since they list it as a character, lol.

Haha I had 5 books held up by it over the last week and a half too. Comicsgaf should be proud though, it's the one thing they got all got right for once. Dessert on me!

ls.jpg

Do any of y'all have a favorite DC character created in the New 52 era?

Damn CREATED during the new 52 era? Does the DCYou count as a sub umbrella of the new 52 before the full on rebirth? Because Olive Silverlock and Maps rocket straight to the top. If not, I really like Nelson from Dial H. Villains, the court of owls. I kinda liked Talon too, for all he appeared.

Damn CREATED during the new 52 era? Does the DCYou count as a sub umbrella of the new 52 before the full on rebirth? Because Olive Silverlock and Maps rocket straight to the top. If not, I really like Nelson from Dial H. Villains, the court of owls. I kinda liked Talon too, for all he appeared.
That's what I was going to say as well.

Deadly Class, Vol. 03: The Snake Pit
[5/5]: I'm not a fan of the solo narrative that Remender continuously puts into this book. A lot of the times in this volume, it felt overdone. I like that there was finally some level of acknowledgement by Marcus that
all the things that he doesn't like in other people is stuff he ends up doing to fit in with them.
But it was just a bit too much self-reflection and it almost feels a bit too on the nose sometimes. The rest of the volume was pretty fantastic. There were lots of great moments from
Maria's death to Marcus freaking out about Saya's betrayal and of course, the final escalation all the way to, "Kill the rats."
Remender has the slow escalation to intense climax routine down pat and he's managed to pull it off three volumes in a row.

Kind of late but I really liked last weeks Green Arrow. Did a good job of characterizing Emiko for the 'new' book and giving some answers while still leaving in some mystery to move forward with. It just makes me more bummed that we aren't getting Emiko on Teen Titans for the Damien/Emiko head-butting that we deserve to see.

Standoff brought back a bunch of dead villains(every villain who died at Stanford is back now for example IIRC).

@N52 character: Strix or Maps.

New avatar btw.

Deadly Class, Vol. 03: The Snake Pit
[5/5]: But it was just a bit too much self-reflection and it almost feels a bit too on the nose sometimes. The rest of the volume was pretty fantastic. .

Right? And the thing is, this is the book where it's least egregious. When I look at my shelf, I actually read a lot by Remender, and have done for a long while now. That said though, he isn't really my favourite writer by a long stretch. I think what it is is he has a lot of fun ideas, and he has a good idea of what constructs a a good story - putting the characters first, building a book around a theme or a notion, and testing the characters through that notion, and even testing the notion through the characters - but he can't leave it well enough alone for it to speak itself. He works with such great artists too, a lot of what he says is there on the panel. Alongside Bendis, Remender needs a strong willed editor who knows how to tell him no. Yes, it's a creator owned book, but EVERY writer needs a good editor or someone they trust that they can believe when the script needs to go back in the oven. Great series though. I think the funny thing is Remender's faults work better with teenagers, because they can be so melodramatic themselves. I believe it more haha.

Hmmm. To buy Recore or not. My question of the day.

Hmmm. Ellis is great for action and self contained fun.

How about Global Frequency. It's 12 issues and setup more as an action procedural? Lots of great one and done action stories with good intensity

For crime style stories you can't go wrong with any of the Brubaker/Phillips efforts.
Sleeper - their crime/spy book
Criminal - crime stories
Fatale - a mix of femme fatale and Lovecraft style horror
Fade out - Hollywood industry "L.A. Confidential" style story

I'll need to think more for sci-fi. There's some going on now but they're not finished so I'm holding off recommending them.

Try The Incal for sci-fi. Gorgeous well developed sci-fi world and the book stands on its own.

Another good omnibus that stands on its own is Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison. You can go in without needing any prior knowledge.

You could also try Transmetropolitan. Cyberpunk.

Thanks for the picks, these sound great. Is there a site that folks here go for graphic novels/omnibuses? All I know is Amazon.

Thanks for the picks, these sound great. Is there a site that folks here go for graphic novels/omnibuses? All I know is Amazon.

All that Brubaker stuff is the shit. UK or USA or elsewhere man? Alot of the americans here use IST, instocktrades. UK, there isn't such a clear choice, I use wordery myself.

started reading The Vision #1 this morning - a bit confused about Grim Reaper - i guess he's alive post-SW?

I don't even know who the dude is, outside what he said on panel, I didn't give him much thought otherwise haha they could have amde him up for the story for all I knew. He really just exists as a plot device to me, I didn't realise he was a classic character or anything.

Right? And the thing is, this is the book where it's least egregious. When I look at my shelf, I actually read a lot by Remender, and have done for a long while now. That said though, he isn't really my favourite writer by a long stretch. I think what it is is he has a lot of fun ideas, and he has a good idea of what constructs a a good story - putting the characters first, building a book around a theme or a notion, and testing the characters through that notion, and even testing the notion through the characters - but he can't leave it well enough alone for it to speak itself. He works with such great artists too, a lot of what he says is there on the panel. Alongside Bendis, Remender needs a strong willed editor who knows how to tell him no. Yes, it's a creator owned book, but EVERY writer needs a good editor or someone they trust that they can believe when the script needs to go back in the oven. Great series though. I think the funny thing is Remender's faults work better with teenagers, because they can be so melodramatic themselves. I believe it more haha.

Hmmm. To buy Recore or not. My question of the day.

Very well put. That's a lot of my issue with him too. I think Deadly Class would be so much stronger if he showed a bit of restraint.

I would much rather we get a couple of pages of extra dialogue rather then more introspection.

As for Recore, I'm giving it a skip. I was on the fence since I do like it's focus on platforming but... just can't justify plopping down $40 for what it is.

Very well put. That's a lot of my issue with him too. I think Deadly Class would be so much stronger if he showed a bit of restraint.

I would much rather we get a couple of pages of extra dialogue rather then more introspection.

As for Recore, I'm giving it a skip. I was on the fence since I do like it's focus on platforming but... just can't justify plopping down $40 for what it is.

haha definitely. I don't want to shit too hard no him though, I know there's a lot of fans in here (I love you Birdie) and I would stress that I genuinely do think he knows what a good story is and why, it's up there in his head. How it translates is often varied though.

Haha I was hovering in the Recore threads and saw you posting, one of the more sensible people in there. I was kind of thinking of using it as a windows store/xbox play anywhere test since it's cheaper than the average game, buuuut I honestly thought the reviews would be a little higher. Bugs etc can be patch and Mike over at usgamer's review mentions that loads are much better on SSD...but nothing can really fix what sounds like real design flaws. I don't know, I'm still kind of seesawing here. I wish that FH3 demo would drop and distract me

Maps is a fun character but I find Olive to be infinitely more interesting. Great duo though.

Absolutely, I don't think I would mention one without the other haha. I think they draw out a lot in each other, especially maps acting as a foil for Olive, they're a real joy to read together.

haha definitely. I don't want to shit too hard no him though, I know there's a lot of fans in here (I love you Birdie) and I would stress that I genuinely do think he knows what a good story is and why, it's up there in his head. How it translates is often varied though.

Haha I was hovering in the Recore threads and saw you posting, one of the more sensible people in there. I was kind of thinking of using it as a windows store/xbox play anywhere test since it's cheaper than the average game, buuuut I honestly thought the reviews would be a little higher. Bugs etc can be patch and Mike over at usgamer's review mentions that loads are much better on SSD...but nothing can really fix what sounds like real design flaws. I don't know, I'm still kind of seesawing here. I wish that FH3 demo would drop and distract me

Absolutely, I don't think I would mention one without the other haha. I think they draw out a lot in each other, especially maps acting as a foil for Olive, they're a real joy to read together.

Yea, I think Remender has got great ideas and usually can execute on them pretty well. That alone is making Deadly Class an enjoyable read for me. But for everything I read of his that makes me want to put him in my favorite writer category (X-Force, one volume of Uncanny Avengers, Deadly Class), there's a bunch of other stuff that shows he's kind of really inconsistent (the rest of Uncanny Avengers, Black Science).

Still need to read Low though, so let's see how that is.

--

I'm also waiting on FH3. Good god, I'm so excited for that game.

The Last Guardian :(

It's for the best. It's a Ueda game and I'm just hoping the game can capture even half the magic of Ico and SotC.

TheFlow

Banned
Really? I am a few issues behind, but last I read it, I was rather unimpressed.

Maybe I should give it another look.

then you probably won't be impressed with the later issues. unless you are on like #2-3

Yea, I think Remender has got great ideas and usually can execute on them pretty well. That alone is making Deadly Class an enjoyable read for me. But for everything I read of his that makes me want to put him in my favorite writer category (X-Force, one volume of Uncanny Avengers, Deadly Class), there's a bunch of other stuff that shows he's kind of really inconsistent (the rest of Uncanny Avengers, Black Science).

Still need to read Low though, so let's see how that is.

--

I'm also waiting on FH3. Good god, I'm so excited for that game.

It's for the best. It's a Ueda game and I'm just hoping the game can capture even half the magic of Ico and SotC.

I often tell people here don't read low. because it the most depressing of his image books.

such fucking bs. Now all I got to play are fps.

destiny dlc, titanfall 2, cod, and bf1.

then you probably won't be impressed with the later issues. unless you are on like #2-3

I often tell people here don't read low. because it the most depressing of his image books.

I'm going to have to give it a shot. There's nothing so far that I've read of his that actually made me feel much in the way of being depressing.

Even Deadly Class, something that I thought might elicit that sort of emotion, has been a bit of a wash.

I'm going to have to give it a shot. There's nothing so far that I've read of his that actually made me feel much in the way of being depressing.

Even Deadly Class, something that I thought might elicit that sort of emotion, has been a bit of a wash.

Low is about optimism! Just stay positive ;)

Messi

Low may be about being optimistic but it is grim as fuck. It's about being optimistic in the face of horrible shit.

Low may be about being optimistic but it is grim as fuck. It's about being optimistic in the face of horrible shit.

hmm..had an image here within a spoiler tag but not sure it keeps it covered on mobile so best not, don't want any sort of spoilers

I think Stel is my favourite Remender character though, I really want to cheer for her

I just hit about 600 comics read ever since I started reading back up. Man, it feels like ages ago despite only being a few short months.

It's amazing. Besides MLB the show Is there a Sony game since launch that hasn't been delayed?

Tearaway? Not sure I remember a delay for that one. Infamous Second Son too I think. Some people presumed that was a launch game, but it stuck to the official date I beeelieve? I could think of some more I think, but it wasn't a real question was it? I get the sentiment, they definitely have got a bit of a problem in general this gen getting stuff out. I question the ps4 pro, the ps vr stuff. They managed to unbelievably swing things around at the beginning of this gen, and with some slow first party stuff going on, it would maybe have been wiser to just double the fuck down on games, be it making their core studios larger, giving them more infrastructure, or opening new teams. All the other stuff, I don't know.

Top Bottom