• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

It's amazing. Besides MLB the show Is there a Sony game since launch that hasn't been delayed?

Only some smaller titles I believe.

Given the nature of games development these days, I don't really have a problem with the delays as I'd rather have a better product in the end, given that there's been a lot of stuff this gen you could tell has been pushed out to hit a marketing date.

I wish they would just announce the date when it's fully concrete but I realize, practically that's impossible since many of these delays are unknowable until much later in the dev cycle.

--

Top of the page? Uhh...

Grant Morrison is the best! Fight me!

Loxley

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. My grandfather (who turned 92 a couple weeks ago) was a big Superman fan when he was a teenager. So much so, that he joined the Supermen of America fanclub back in 1939 when he was 15. Astonishingly, he kept the certificate that was sent to him to signify his "induction" into the club - and he kept it in shockingly good condition as well. Knowing I was a big Superman fan, he gave it to me somewhere around 2004 when I was about 15. It's probably my most-prized possession. Once I went off to college I kept it in a storage container in my parent's basement (no way I was going to take something like that to a dorm hall) and practically forgot about it.

I just recently found it again and finally got around to scanning it in (though I photoshopped out his last name):

u70N99W.jpg

Fun fact, if you look up that address on Google street view I'm pretty sure the house my grandpa lived in isn't there anymore. However, you will see two guys getting arrested on a street corner :lol

My grandpa also claims that, of course, he had a copy of Action Comics #1 back then.

2upoWKN.gif

Loxley

Damn, it looks like new

I'm pretty sure the reason it's in such great condition is because he kept it in an envelope in his basement for six decades - so it was never exposed to the elements. There are no rips, tears, or stains and the colors look fantastic.

I will say, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that multiversity order (in fact it's entirely correct to a tee), but you REALLY do not need to put so much effort into it. There are some basic rules. I literally have all the trades here. 1-6 of Hellboy, then you can start the BPRD (if you want to read outside of just Hellboy). Don't read Abe Sapien volume 3 onwards until the appropriate point in Hell On Earth. You can go batshit bonkers with the reading order, but for large part you can settle in and read large expanses of them without having to jump to other books, and most of the smaller series can be read when you like. Things that link in will generally be as satisfying in either order, whether you knew before or after. Maybe the only exception is Sledgehammer stuff, like the iron prometheus or 44, might be good to get that at the right time. It is all fucking GREAT stuff though.

I actually really wanted to say during the discussion about Remender earlier, is it's what I love sooo much about the general Mignolaverse and Hellboy specifically. Mignola's style is, well not sparse, but the art always speaks for it's self first, then words coming when necessary.

Whatsinaname nailed it though, Seed Of Destruction first. Also, it's jsut slightly weird because John Byrne actually scripts that then Mig does it all himself after that until volume 7.

I will say, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that multiversity order (in fact it's entirely correct to a tee), but you REALLY do not need to put so much effort into it. There are some basic rules. I literally have all the trades here. 1-6 of Hellboy, then you can start the BPRD (if you want to read outside of just Hellboy). Don't read Abe Sapien volume 3 onwards until the appropriate point in Hell On Earth. You can go batshit bonkers with the reading order, but for large part you can settle in and read large expanses of them without having to jump to other books, and most of the smaller series can be read when you like. Things that link in will generally be as satisfying in either order, whether you knew before or after. Maybe the only exception is Sledgehammer stuff, like the iron prometheus or 44, might be good to get that at the right time. It is all fucking GREAT stuff though.

I actually really wanted to say during the discussion about Remender earlier, is it's what I love sooo much about the general Mignolaverse and Hellboy specifically. Mignola's style is, well not sparse, but the art always speaks for it's self first, then words coming when necessary.

Whatsinaname nailed it though, Seed Of Destruction first. Also, it's jsut slightly weird because John Byrne actually scripts that then Mig does it all himself after that until volume 7.

Good to know there's some versatility. I bought the first volume. Looking forward to reading it in a couple of days.

Good to know there's some versatility. I bought the first volume. Looking forward to reading it in a couple of days.

If you end up really loving it and start rattling through them, there will always be someone in here to help with you're not sure man, that's quite a few big fans even if the books don't get discussed often. They're literally my favourite comics but I don't really bring em up unless they're mentioned, since everyone pretty much reads by trade.

I feel like probably the major stopping factor for people getting into them is probably the sheer bulk and how they fit together and I honestly think it's easier to say what not to do than what you should, there's only a few guidelines that way round. You don't have to worry about anything until after Hellboy volume 6 (after "The Island"). I remember originally trying to jump back and forth in published order and it was miserable compared to just sitting down and read a ton of one run at a time. You just need to jump across at the right moment and you can read long bits unbroken.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That thread on keeping the same avatar has made me realise I should probably start rotating mine again. I used to post a lot more in here (and generally) though so it was more noticable.

snPYfpy.png
VJxbFwJ.png
RVKMw3a.jpg
n3XfYlC.png

0RpAjsx.png
rw6w18F.png
UsLnz8r.png
SxFXmZw.png

mwfKnJM.png
CbN7yzO.png
pCihZP7.png
rXPPCdW.png

I do still like that Spider Gwen one. I should try some new ones, although it's hard to do ones based on things like Saga and Paper Girls. Maybe I should do a Vision one.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My list:

A-Force #9
All-Star Batman #2
Astro City #38
The Fix #5
Mockingbird #7
Old Man Logan #11
Spider-Man #8

Also may give Superwoman #2 a try but I'm not particularly feeling it. Have cut back a lot on ongoings recently.

ElNarez

Banned
holy fuck agents of shield's ghost rider looks like the hottest television special effect of 2004

MGGehqa.png

look at this fucking Smallville shit

fuck man that is garbage tier compared to things in fucking Legends of Tomorrow that's how bad this is

The mid-80s Nightcrawler mini-series by the underrated Dave Cockrum is available on Marvel Unlimited as of today, I highly recommend it. I randomly found a used collection of it lying on a chair in an antique shop when I was a kid and bought it instantly. It was one of my favorite Marvel stories as a young lad. It's about Nightcrawler and Lockheed travelling through several dimensions and doing some swashbuckling, pirating and princess rescuing while fighting a shark sorcerer. It's pretty good.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
holy fuck agents of shield's ghost rider looks like the hottest television special effect of 2004

Maybe it'll look better in motion, but I doubt it. Fire SFX is always hard to do right on a TV budget, especially when it's moving around and someone's skull is sitting in it.

Probably should just paste this over the top of it and be done with it:

Davidspics304_zps75820b4e.gif

MGGehqa.png

fuck man that is garbage tier compared to things in fucking Legends of Tomorrow that's how bad this is

legit looks like an ad for an iOS game

TheFlow

Banned

MGGehqa.png

That actually looks really good. Thigh the jacket makes him look a lil bloated compared to the comic version

MGGehqa.png

That's not sexy. He looks bloated.

fttLyyf.png

This is pretty sexy.

Why the hell does the Xbone S have so many little holes?

Microsoft should know a thing or two about all the dust and bugs that get stuck in computers

Owzers

Air ventilation.

dust ventilation.

i put a hold on Warbreaker at the library. I might move on to the second name of the wind book though despite not liking it tooooo much. Still bugs me that they think good chapter cliffhangery things is just telling you what happens in later chapters. That's not how hype works folks, that's awful.

How is Angela? Did she make waves in Marvel?
She's making waves with the LGBTQ community. You wouldn't know that since Marvel wants to pretend her solo books never happened.

So far it looks like she's had more exposure as a Spawn character than a Marvel character.

Top Bottom