• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

This video is pretty cool.

Why You Should Go To A Smash Bros. Tournament

That was amazing.

The only bad thing about tournaments is hauling my shit to them.

FUUUUUUCK CRTS, MAN! The worst kind of necessary evil.

Also the Rocky was legit. Only notable combo I got off during extra life was in PM where I got a 0-death on fox with a dash attack -> utilt -> utilt -> pivot fsmash. Killed at like 60% from 0%.

Also I ended a match in Melee with a stitchface snipe. I looked the guy right in the eye while it happened too.

Oh, and my first Melee match I was so exhausted after the first hour of TO'ing I came down from the podium and 4 stocked the guy with Falco just so I could get back to TO'ing. I felt horrible, but I had to.

Some photos:

gccXAuG.jpg

Fu7ZDy2.jpg

OScDTZJ.jpg

OLTC4Og.jpg

bSRC0PN.jpg

Josue

Anyone got an idea of what I should be practicing as Falcon in 20xx?

Tech chasing, wavedashes/wavelands... anything else?

Also if anyone can help me find info on what grabs and grab follow ups I should be doing for different characters at different percents that'd be great :p

xezuru

Anyone got an idea of what I should be practicing as Falcon in 20xx?

Tech chasing, wavedashes/wavelands... anything else?

Also if anyone can help me find info on what grabs and grab follow ups I should be doing for different characters at different percents that'd be great :p

What skill level do you place yourself as? Getting techchasing down 99% of the time will go along way, platform and general movement is important with falcon as well.

Josue

What skill level do you place yourself as? Getting techchasing down 99% of the time will go along way, platform and general movement is important with falcon as well.

Yeah actually I'm probably gonna practice my movement mostly, since PM messed up all my Melee timings for the longest.

xezuru

I've always been a theory fighter in like all fighting games/genres outside the game way more than in-game, finally trying to build in-game fundamentals in PM, play dudes better than me win like 4of15 in the set we play or something, always get comments like, "work on your neutral and you'll be really good", or "just need to space better cause the games you win you actually do cool stuff". In PM I'm a roy main, don't know what to do when I feel like I have a pool noodle weapon in neutral, but I guess i'll take the pity compliments lol.

emb

At this point EVO should drop Melee and Smash 4.

Only one can survive. Make it the right choice. Make it 64.
I'd give up Melee at Evo to see 64 at Evo. Would actually be great.

Since it got mentioned:
Not that it matters since these aren't very serious (probably even outright trolling), but make sure to voice your thoughts to Mr. Wizard's polls:
https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/664152528079052800
https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/664161912662306816

Vote for whichever game you like, but whatever you do make sure to vote '2' in the first one that's linked. He also has another tweet asking about what lineup you'd like to see.

FZZ

Banned
I thought I would be more appalled but the more I think about it I just don't mind that much

Smash 4 was utterly shit on last year, and it is clear that Mr. Wizard has no respect for the game at all. Even in the recent Evo 2016 trailer there was no Smash 4 footage and only a quick scene of ZeRo popping off after his Grand Finals victory.

The community needs to put all focus on tournaments that actually treat Smash 4 decently so it can have a place to grow and develop it's meta (they haven't even settled on a unified rule set yet, debates still happen because pro-custom players are relentless). CEO, MLG, The Big House,and Smashcon were all excellent tournaments and excellent for both Smash games. And Genesis 3 looks even more promising.

I say forget Evo, focus on the tournaments that are already well run and make them even better and eventually get to other events such as Dreamhack and Beyond The Summit once the game has a stronger foothold.

And tbh I think Melee has outgrown Evo, things like Dreamhack and Beyond The Summit are just so much better. We have gotten to the point where Evo needs Melee more than Melee needs Evo, the trailer for 2016 was blatant with that.

emb

And tbh I think Melee has outgrown Evo, things like Dreamhack and Beyond The Summit are just so much better. We have gotten to the point where Evo needs Melee more than Melee needs Evo, the trailer for 2016 was blatant with that.
I kind of agree. It's great to have this one big event that feels like it's for all the marbles, but these days we're having great majors every two weeks or each month anyway. Last year I was pretty worried about Melee not making Evo, this year, it feels like it's whatever. Evo has so much going on, everything but SF feels like a side event.

And I'm not as familiar with Smash 4's tournaments, but I think it's largely the same way. It gets tons of entrants, viewers, and has it's own hype.

Pappasman

I was about to post the same thing. I honestly think at this point both smashes don't need EVO anymore. Just move on and continue pursuing new avenues instead of holding on to a tournament focusing on immensely less popular games outside of street fighter.

Because without EVO most of those games hardly get any good stream numbers by themselves. The only games that have proven they can bring in the people on their own merits are Street Fighter, Marvel (questionable), Melee, and Smash 4. The other games need a big event to push them.

The Big House, *new* Apex, Dreamhack, MLG, BeyondtheSummit, Genesis, and more. The list keeps going.

edit: and tbh EVO sucks ass as a tournament anyways. 3/5 should be the standard for every game, but because its such a big event they have to crunch their schedule. It's not about a good tournament, its about "Look how big we are now". EVO used to be the defining moment in the year, now its just another tournament.

Azure J

I still want Smash @ EVO because it's a hype meeting place for all the big fighting games. That and I'll be eternally pissed if I never get the opportunity to fly out and play it there even once. :p

Anth0ny

I'd give up Melee at Evo to see 64 at Evo. Would actually be great.

Since it got mentioned:
Not that it matters since these aren't very serious (probably even outright trolling), but make sure to voice your thoughts to Mr. Wizard's polls:
https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/664152528079052800
https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/664161912662306816

Vote for whichever game you like, but whatever you do make sure to vote '2' in the first one that's linked. He also has another tweet asking about what lineup you'd like to see.

2UZbqQy.png

And yes, Melee and Street Fighter have outgrown Evo at this point. Genesis 3 will likely pass Evo 2015 as the biggest Melee tournament of all time. Winning Capcom Cup in Street Fighter is more prestigious than winning Evo.

It should still be there, though. Just like Street Fighter.

GamerJM

Banned
I was about to post the same thing. I honestly think at this point both smashes don't need EVO anymore. Just move on and continue pursuing new avenues instead of holding on to a tournament focusing on immensely less popular games outside of street fighter.

Because without EVO most of those games hardly get any good stream numbers by themselves. The only games that have proven they can bring in the people on their own merits are Street Fighter, Marvel (questionable), Melee, and Smash 4. The other games need a big event to push them.

The Big House, *new* Apex, Dreamhack, MLG, BeyondtheSummit, Genesis, and more. The list keeps going.

edit: and tbh EVO sucks ass as a tournament anyways. 3/5 should be the standard for every game, but because its such a big event they have to crunch their schedule. It's not about a good tournament, its about "Look how big we are now". EVO used to be the defining moment in the year, now its just another tournament.

I really hope "new," Apex isn't a supermajor on par with everything else you just listed. IMO their attendance deserves to go down until they can prove that their TOs know how to properly run a tournament of that caliber.

Daouzin

I can agree to this, but I also think that EVO is a significant factor to why Melee keeps getting bigger and bigger. While the Melee community might not need EVO, the world needs EVO to see how awesome Melee is.

Also, I like to be surrounded by Smashers I haven't seen in years or to see certain Smashers once a year, while also being in a drinking environment. God I love Vegas. Melee and Vegas should never be separated. Melee at EVO forever!

Codeblue

2UZbqQy.png

And yes, Melee and Street Fighter have outgrown Evo at this point. Genesis 3 will likely pass Evo 2015 as the biggest Melee tournament of all time. Winning Capcom Cup in Street Fighter is more prestigious than winning Evo.

It should still be there, though. Just like Street Fighter.

Winning Capcup being more prestigious has only become a thing because of the money influx this year. We look at the lineup for Capcom Cup and think it's insane, but Evo 2015 was orders of magnitude more stacked because you didn't have to qualify to compete. Pretty much every single top player was there to the point where you could look at a top 50 list and none of them would surprise you in top 8.

I agree that Melee should still be there. Evo is rad, and is still the most visible tournament. Genesis might get more entrants, but Evo is necessary to bring new people in.

BlueMagic

Slightly off topic, but for the people who watched the summit, there was a moment in which Mango was commentating with Scar and in between sets Mango talked a bit about what he would do after smash or something like that (he was kinda joking). By any chance, does anyone know when that happened?

GamerJM

Banned
please

random character, random stage, all items on, 1 stock, Bo1

(did you know Evo 2007 was best of 1 until top 8? silly huh)

Random stage too iirc. Mango once said that he beat M2K there because they ended up on Dreamland (and Mango played Puff in 07). When that happened M2K immediately turned to one of his cronies watching and said "Oh my god Dreamland is so stupid".

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
please

random character, random stage, all items on, 1 stock, Bo1

(did you know Evo 2007 was best of 1 until top 8? silly huh)

What is this stock shenanigans? Our lord Sakurai has the default game mode set to time, so by Sakurai tournaments should run on timed matches like He intended!

What next, you'll suggest coin matches?

What is this stock shenanigans? Our lord Sakurai has the default game mode set to time, so by Sakurai tournaments should run on timed matches like He intended!

What next, you'll suggest coin matches?

my b, change 1 stock to 2 minute time match

are you saying a coin battle tournament wouldn't be the most hype thing?

Bakkus

In just a month from now there will be a huge tournament (Eclipse) in my city, Oslo, Norway. Armada and Leffen will show up as they always do when the tournament pot is big here, but also lots of Americans will come. Plup, Axe and Westballz will compete, plus Wobbles and D1 will come to commentate. Hopefully even more notable smashers will announce that they're coming in the next weeks. Can't wait!

Starting on saturday. Pools haven't been published yet, but i've heard from a guy who has seen them that i'm in the same as Leffen....yikes.

Starting on saturday. Pools haven't been published yet, but i've heard from a guy who has seen them that i'm in the same as Leffen....yikes.

The nice thing is you might end up on stream.

The bad thing, is that you may have to beat Leffen to make it out of pools.

FUCK HIM UP FAM

Bakkus

Thanks for the good wishes you all, i'm terrible with Samus btw, so that's out of question. I main Marth, so it has to be him who faces mabye the best Fox in the world.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Damn man a Gaffer will get to play Leffen? You'll need the best of luck to not get four stocked. He'll be in such a try hard mode after not being able to attend a big tourney in so long.

emb

Remember once you hit him, he's just a Fox. :)
Good luck hitting him.

The couple of big tournaments I've been to, I've had to play PC Chris and Hugs as first seeds in my pools. Got 8 stocked and 7 stocked, lol RIP me.

Anth0ny

remember, good players have good player DI

you hit them

and the character just goes flying and you can't follow up with another hit like you would on a lesser player

and then they pressure your shield and you might as well put your controller down and walk away cause you ain't doing shit

source: me facing m2k... and kirby kaze... and ryan ford...

Daouzin

Did anyone notice that announcement post Cloud. It just said "Smash" announcement in December.

Melee HD incoming?

P.S. I hate that they announced Cloud. Every time I think I'm over Smash 4, they pull me back in. I have to keep playing now, lol.

Top Bottom