• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Jigolo

Did anyone notice that announcement post Cloud. It just said "Smash" announcement in December.

Melee HD incoming?

P.S. I hate that they announced Cloud. Every time I think I'm over Smash 4, they pull me back in. I have to keep playing now, lol.

They're just gonna add Melee mode to Smash 4.

K
a
p
p
a

Anth0ny

yeah the way they worded that tease there at the end

melee hd is coming, kids. this thread is about to explode in popularity. once nintendo actually announces it all the "just MOVE ON" kids are going to be all over that shit.

also goku and james bond in smash 4 will be announced.

fucking cloud is in smash. lol

Pappasman

With Cloud announced I think that we've entered some sort of strange dimension where literally anything is possible.

Project M 2 NX launch title featuring Snake, Cloud, Goku, Superman, and Jesus.

GamerJM

Banned
I'd fucking play that. Give me more movement options and limit recoveries and dodges, and I'd play that HARD.

Tbh if they do it right I'd probably like it more than Melee. I think I'd like a PM 2 made with Smash 4 as a base more than SSBM as well, there's just too many good characters and there wouldn't be as much jank as in PM probably.

I don't really think they'd do it right, though. Or at least not without some more significant issue.

Anth0ny

Tbh if they do it right I'd probably like it more than Melee. I think I'd like a PM 2 made with Smash 4 as a base more than SSBM as well, there's just too many good characters and there wouldn't be as much jank as in PM probably.

I don't really think they'd do it right, though. Or at least not without some more significant issue.

I'm pretty sure if Project M, all things equal, was Smash 4, we'd all be playing it instead of Melee.

the fact that it's not an official product is what hurts that game the most. also, some jank, which probably wouldn't be there if it was an official product.

so yeah, if they somehow introduced a Melee mode into Smash 4, with all those damn characters and stages... it would be HUGE.

Bakkus

My friend
insider
was wrong, i'm not in pools with Leffen

I'm in pools with Westballz instead

Edit: apparently he wasn't wrong. It just got changed.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
My friend
insider
was wrong, i'm not in pools with Leffen

I'm in pools with Westballz instead

Edit: apparently he wasn't wrong. It just got changed.
Now you can get rekt by Falco instead of Fox.

Really, you should just play circus music on your phone's speakers throughout the entire set.

emb

Last announcement sounds like just another Smash Direct. AKA "here's more DLC, please send us more money" (although there'll probably be free stuff too). I expect them to give ballot breakdown, show off Wolf and Inkling, a bunch of Mii costumes, a new stage or two, maybe a new mode or something.

Cloud's a neat addition, should be fun to try out. From the glances I saw, looked a lot like Ike.

I was in Westballz' pool at PAX. I got knocked out by other people though :V
Dang. I miss when tournaments would (be able to) do round robin pools.

Anth0ny

Last announcement sounds like just another Smash Direct. AKA "here's more DLC, please send us more money" (although there'll probably be free stuff too). I expect them to give ballot breakdown, show off Wolf and Inkling, a bunch of Mii costumes, a new stage or two, maybe a new mode or something.

"So, number one on the ballot was... Son Goku from Dragon Ball. Okay, moving on. Number two was... Shrek."

But then number three is Snake, and we get a trailer complete with Hayter :)

emb

"So, number one on the ballot was... Son Goku from Dragon Ball. Okay, moving on. Number two was... Shrek."

But then number three is Snake, and we get a trailer complete with Hayter :)
I guess it's just wishful thinking. Would LOVE to see the vote numbers at least for whoever gets in.

Bakkus

Now you can get rekt by Falco instead of Fox.

Really, you should just play circus music on your phone's speakers throughout the entire set.

Or take some adderalls. Prepare to get rekt, Mr. Dennis.

I'm sure someone has already posted this, but it's time to give PM some love:
Which games do you want to see on the EVO 2016 lineup? You can vote for your top seven here

With all the problems broadcasting Melee was two years ago, what chance in hell does PM have?

Anth0ny

0% chance PM gets to Evo

PM's best bet is to grind it out until Nintendo stops caring about the Smash community. I'm thinking a year or two. Then streamers will stop being scared to stream the game.

xezuru

Lol eventhubs, Would be less pissed at nintendo for cockblocking PM if they actually put money into Melee, just gonna be the same minimal effort nintendo.

Azure J

0% chance PM gets to Evo

PM's best bet is to grind it out until Nintendo stops caring about the Smash community. I'm thinking a year or two. Then streamers will stop being scared to stream the game.

You really think Nintendo's going to go and toss out the Smash community? Mind you, I definitely don't think they've reached true harmony with one another yet, but no way in hell does this happen imo.

You really think Nintendo's going to go and toss out the Smash community? Mind you, I definitely don't think they've reached true harmony with one another yet, but no way in hell does this happen imo.

until either:
1. NoA gets more autonomy, because all the very limited efforts so far have come from them
2. it turns out one of Kimishima's goals is getting into esports

their efforts will never amount to much

emb

Nintendo will keep supporting Smash at large when it's financially convenient. Smash 4 is a new game, of course they support it. They will probably continue to do so for a long time, given they can keep making money from DLC.

Seeing Pokemon RBY gives me some hope for Melee VC eventually though. If they can enable WiFi trading there, they can support the Wii U GCN adapter in a Melee port. And if they did that then they'd probably support Melee for a bit.

xezuru

Virtual Console online has already been proven as a concept, Sega released a puyopuyo iteration on VC with online versus, obviously the scale is way different but in reality, online capability in Virtual Console is not a standard only because Nintendo doesn't give a shit to do it.

emb

Virtual Console online has already been proven as a concept, Sega released a puyopuyo iteration on VC with online versus, obviously the scale is way different but in reality, online capability in Virtual Console is not a standard only because Nintendo doesn't give a shit to do it.
Oh, I didn't even dare think to hope for online (you're right, it really should be a standard). I just want to be able to control the game, afaik nothing else has support for the adapter.

Are there any GC VC games currently? I know there are some Wii ones, if they can do that GC games shouldn't be a big stretch.

GamerJM

Banned

They also released a version of Street Fighter 2 on the Genesis with online support.

Anth0ny

I think when the DLC stops coming and we reach that 3-4 year lull between the end of support for 4 and the announcement of 5 Nintendo will stop sponsoring tournaments, yeah.

Prove me wrong, Nintendo.

Bakkus

Played lots of friendlies with Westballz before we played seriously. He usually "only" 2 and 3 stocked me with Fox and Falcon. Only 4 stock he got against me was with Falco. Then we played the two pool matches and he sandbagged with DK both times. 1 and 2 stock. He didn't even try his best, lots of stupid SDs because he knew he would beat me even when playing at around 50%. But I didn't mind honestly. It was fun and i appreciated that he played so much with a player faaaar worse than him.

Now he's suffering jetlag and sleeping on the couch next to me lol.

That's too many players to rank by hand. Use SkillKeeper:

http://smashboards.com/threads/skillkeeper-trueskill™-rankings-bookkeeper.376590/

For a more legit ranking, just identify the top 10-20 players and consider their past history, set counts, etc. Whatever info you have.

We record match scores (2-1, 2-0, 3-2, etc.) and I assign points based on that and then bracket points for placing in top 8.

I may need to look into Skillkeeper for the next quarter's PR. I may even extend it to half a year because we're still in limbo venue wise.

Played lots of friendlies with Westballz before we played seriously. He usually "only" 2 and 3 stocked me with Fox and Falcon. Only 4 stock he got against me was with Falco. Then we played the two pool matches and he sandbagged with DK both times. 1 and 2 stock. He didn't even try his best, lots of stupid SDs because he knew he would beat me even when playing at around 50%. But I didn't mind honestly. It was fun and i appreciated that he played so much with a player faaaar worse than him.

Now he's suffering jetlag and sleeping on the couch next to me lol.

Ayy I took 2 stocks of M2K once
In PM

It's good seeing what you can learn from the pros. It's also nice to realize that they're just people as well.

My friend often plays with Westballz whenever they meet up together. I don't think he's ever made it out of pools at a major, but he's our best Melee player in town.

Tomohawk

0% chance PM gets to Evo

I think pms best bet is to remake the game with original IP.

Bakkus

Westballz has been sent to losers bracket against some less experienced player and he's pissed because he didn't think the first game should have counted because they didn't to the usual stage banning or anything like that, he was also sandbagging with Mewtwo in that set. And now he's considering forfeiting. Wow.

Edit: He did...fuck.

Daouzin

Westballz has been sent to losers bracket against some less experienced player and he's pissed because he didn't think the first game should have counted because they didn't to the usual stage banning or anything like that, he was also sandbagging with Mewtwo in that set. And now he's considering forfeiting. Wow.

Wow. He should just take the loss and be like, "oops."

Analysts would know not to count it and it teaches good players to not sand bag SOOO hard. But if I beat him, I would be like, lets redo it but play Falco so I can get experience.

Wow. He should just take the loss and be like, "oops."

Analysts would know not to count it and it teaches good players to not sand bag SOOO hard. But if I beat him, I would be like, lets redo it but play Falco so I can get experience.

what happened in weston's words and why he was frustrated enough to quit.

edit: link actually works now.
there's also a response from some rep of the TOs somewhere but it sounds like a super-personal and hostile statement and not something official. I think it was made via reddit.

Does hitbox have archives? I wont be able to watch any of today.

Alternatively, any word on if/when eclipse will put its stuff on YouTube?

edit: lol i was blind, i see it now.

Top Bottom