• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Might as well throw PM on there too. I don't see why not.
:)

Just let PM be streamed again. Pls.

Also Falco reks beginners. There's a reason I use him at tourneys to kind of speed things along.

However, if you learn to powershield and or move around the lasers, Falco really lacks the speed and movement options Fox has.

Is Link any good in PM?

Link isn't even in Paper Mario, what kind of question is this

Pappasman

The reason I ask is because I've been playing a lot of Link in Melee recently and I just realized I can probably play a game where he isn't mid tier at best lol.

I'd argue that there are hardly any characters in PM that are straight up no good.

Outside of maybe Ice Climbers (due to Nana AI), I'd agree.

Lots of characters have bad matchups, but the tiers are much closer than Melee.

Give Link a shot in PM - what have you got to lose?

Anth0ny

New Melee = split player base.

Also, forcing people to play offline is so much better (unless you run an emulator).

nah, that's not how it works with Smash.

it splits for a while, then everyone chooses the best version and plays that. and at that point, numbers are higher than ever.

it happened with brawl, and it will happen with smash 4 ;)

Daouzin

nah, that's not how it works with Smash.

it splits for a while, then everyone chooses the best version and plays that. and at that point, numbers are higher than ever.

it happened with brawl, and it will happen with smash 4 ;)

Yeah, basically. Genesis 3 is sort of proving this out.

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly I think Smash 4 is here to stay in terms of tournament numbers, I just don't think Genesis is going to be as big of a tournament for it since it's more Melee-focused given the legacy of Genesis. But I think its appeal as a competitive game is a lot more wide reaching than Brawl was. Go onto some random GAF topic about Smash 4 and people will know who ZeRo is, if you were to do this for Brawl in 2009 no one would no who the fuck M2K is except for a minority of people who followed competitive Smash. I think the fact that people actually seem to enjoy S4 as a spectator game whereas most people didn't enjoy spectating Brawl except for its core competitive fanbase makes all of the difference.

It'll probably start to wane in a few years but then Nintendo will announce Smash 5 and they'll be coming back.

That being said, this also means more people will be exposed to Melee through Smash 4 given the connection between the two. Other Smash games will only help Melee's numbers grow.

Anth0ny

Honestly I think Smash 4 is here to stay in terms of tournament numbers, I just don't think Genesis is going to be as big of a tournament for it since it's more Melee-focused given the legacy of Genesis. But I think its appeal as a competitive game is a lot more wide reaching than Brawl was. Go onto some random GAF topic about Smash 4 and people will know who ZeRo is, if you were to do this for Brawl in 2009 no one would no who the fuck M2K is except for a minority of people who followed competitive Smash. I think the fact that people actually seem to enjoy S4 as a spectator game whereas most people didn't enjoy spectating Brawl except for its core competitive fanbase makes all of the difference.

It'll probably start to wane in a few years but then Nintendo will announce Smash 5 and they'll be coming back.

That being said, this also means more people will be exposed to Melee through Smash 4 given the connection between the two. Other Smash games will only help Melee's numbers grow.

not to bash on smash 4 (because it is more fun to watch than Brawl) but I do think the reason for the bolded is thanks to the major expansion of the community in 2013 thanks to Evo and the documentary + social media/twitch streaming in general. Brawl didn't really have that luxury.

just from what I've seen so far (and I hope I'm wrong) I think Smash 4 will end up like Brawl. The game being pushed to its limit means slow, defensive based gameplay and that will only become more apparent as time goes on. Right now, we are still figuring out the game. Hell, we're still getting patches and new characters. It's not even CLOSE to being figured out. But just watching Evo top 8 this year, and other big top 8s... I don't know. I'm getting Brawl vibes. Brawl was really fun to watch during those "discovery years" too... then we figured out the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Smash 4 is going to end up like Brawl because Smash 5 is going to be Smash4-2 - so similar there will be literally no reason not to play the new game.

Even more likely to happen if Sakurai decides to call it quits.

FZZ

Banned
not to bash on smash 4 (because it is more fun to watch than Brawl) but I do think the reason for the bolded is thanks to the major expansion of the community in 2013 thanks to Evo and the documentary + social media/twitch streaming in general. Brawl didn't really have that luxury.

just from what I've seen so far (and I hope I'm wrong) I think Smash 4 will end up like Brawl. The game being pushed to its limit means slow, defensive based gameplay and that will only become more apparent as time goes on. Right now, we are still figuring out the game. Hell, we're still getting patches and new characters. It's not even CLOSE to being figured out. But just watching Evo top 8 this year, and other big top 8s... I don't know. I'm getting Brawl vibes. Brawl was really fun to watch during those "discovery years" too... then we figured out the game.

I think MLG Grand Finals kinds refutes your points.

The two top players in the world, play the game aggro not defensively. And Top 8 for Evo wasn't bad at all. It was Top 16 that had Static Manny and CaptainAwesum. Big House, Smashcon, and CEO were all great Top 8's as well.

As far as supermajors go only Apex 2015 was terrible to watch. Hell I was sure the game was going to die within a year after watching that tournament, but luckily I was wrong.

My main point is though that at the top level the game is developing to be more aggressive compared to Brawl where even in the early years when watching the top level you could see that it boiled down to a war of attrition.

xezuru

Leffen giving the pity words popoff after SFAT money match.
"Feel bad for him", "Yknow how they dont pay out for 9th place."

-> Proceeds to lose to another samus and gets 9th.

also

Banned
Uh, Armada is the only European in top 8 at DreamHack London...
Really didn't expect Leffen to lose to Duck. M2k should start maining Samus to counter Leffen now, lol.

Not only do we have DH Melee going on, but also SoCal's BroCal Gym PM event too!

http://www.hitbox.tv/SoCalProjectM

Having both streams up is so good.

Also, we may have found a venue. Our local TO is starting to grow tired of being the best in the area, and he's really dropped the ball on things.

So, we're going about coming up with a new venue. In the meantime, I'm hosting a local smash meetup on campus this coming Friday, so that way people don't think the scene is dead.

I'm also working on a new set of logos / jersey ideas. Mimicking the Golden State Warriors, cause they the best and we're in Cali:

Leffen says Axe is too inconsistent for losing to SFAT at Press Start, loses to SFAT at Press Start

Leffen says "It's hard for me not to 3-stock M2K" at Pax Prime, gets 6-0'd by M2K at Pax Prime

Leffen makes fun of SFAT for constantly getting 9th at Dreamhack, gets 9th at Dreamhack

lol Leffen

FZZ

Banned
Mang0 needs his Fox

I know he's reluctant because the meta is more technical and reliant on new tech he hasn't mastered yet. But his Falco will always have serious threats unless his bracket is perfect.

His Fox did THIS for godsake.

Not to mention being his primary main from 2013-2014 his most dominant years in recent memory. Back to back Evos, MLG, TBH4, all had his Fox featured in prominence.

Jigolo

Leffen says Axe is too inconsistent for losing to SFAT at Press Start, loses to SFAT at Press Start

Leffen says "It's hard for me not to 3-stock M2K" at Pax Prime, gets 6-0'd by M2K at Pax Prime

Leffen makes fun of SFAT for constantly getting 9th at Dreamhack, gets 9th at Dreamhack

lol Leffen
I love smash drama so much lol

Top Bottom