• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Yeah, I really have no excuse to not go, but I'm doing something big for my 30th in December and I just bought a really good and pricey PC so I'm thinking it wouldn't be very responsible.

However, the new PC should be able to handle Melee Netplay with ease.

I just can't justify the $50 venue fee, much like I can't justify EVO.

So instead, I'm making preparations for Bad Blood in February.

It's a stupid tournament name, I know, but a few of us from Kern County are going.

I just wish the Nor Cal guys weren't so shady. So Cal seems a lot more up front about things.

Daouzin

I just can't justify the $50 venue fee, much like I can't justify EVO.

So instead, I'm making preparations for Bad Blood in February.

It's a stupid tournament name, I know, but a few of us from Kern County are going.

I just wish the Nor Cal guys weren't so shady. So Cal seems a lot more up front about things.

The Genesis guys are amazing, they've been active since like the very beginning. I also don't think $50 is that much when you take into account the money it takes to travel, housing and food while you're there.

If you haven't spent time in NorCal I can kind of understand the perspective, but I've known the guys for such a long time that I trust them completely.

emb

The Genesis guys are amazing, they've been active since like the very beginning. I also don't think $50 is that much when you take into account the money it takes to travel, housing and food while you're there.
It's not much in comparison, but you have to add that 50 onto everything else. After paying for a hotel, every bit seems kinda backbreaking. Even worse if you have to get a flight.

If you haven't spent time in NorCal I can kind of understand the perspective, but I've known the guys for such a long time that I trust them completely.

Oh no, I don't doubt it for a second. But for a guy who rarely makes it out of pools, $50 venue fee is much more than $15, and the cost of everything else in the area is a bit much. Like an extra half hour of drive time and double the rate on hotels :/

Not to mention us Kern County boys are broke as all get out so I usually end up eating the cost of the hotel to make sure we get a group of 4-5 people out to regionals. I'm making my brother and I basketball jerseys to rep out local crew though :D

Also January is packed for me schedule wise so February will be easier for me to manage.

I just find it odd that Bad Blood is being marketed the way it is. Genesis too, even. very few details outside of venue and sign ups - they aren't as well presented as Paragon was.

I love the NorCal boys though. SoCal just brings the hype more, IMO.

Daouzin

Oh no, I don't doubt it for a second. But for a guy who rarely makes it out of pools, $50 venue fee is much more than $15, and the cost of everything else in the area is a bit much. Like an extra half hour of drive time and double the rate on hotels :/

Not to mention us Kern County boys are broke as all get out so I usually end up eating the cost of the hotel to make sure we get a group of 4-5 people out to regionals. I'm making my brother and I basketball jerseys to rep out local crew though :D

Also January is packed for me schedule wise so February will be easier for me to manage.

I just find it odd that Bad Blood is being marketed the way it is. Genesis too, even. very few details outside of venue and sign ups - they aren't as well presented as Paragon was.

I love the NorCal boys though. SoCal just brings the hype more, IMO.

That's all fair, haha. I just love the NorCal people as much as SoCal.

Tomohawk

Has anyone seen the frozen turnip glitch solved post on r/ssbm. That shit is krey. I've been thinking of creating a esports and glitches thread and I'll probably reference the post in it.

Daouzin

Has anyone seen the frozen turnip glitch solved post on r/ssbm. That shit is krey. I've been thinking of creating a esports and glitches thread and I'll probably reference the post in it.

That would be cool, Melee has a ton of super weird glitches that look awesome in GIF format.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm gonna be at Genesis, but I live a few minutes away from the venue so I just got hella lucky. This is probably the only circumstance I'd ever go to a major under since I'm really bad and not too invested in actually playing the game (though in person spectating would be a blast).

Pappasman

This was always the end game. It was an inevitability.

Sucks for people who played a lot of PM. I said I would only go back if they did the n64 texture mod from the april fools video, but sadly that never happened.

My last great PM memory was playing against a super good Ike player at NWM. It was a close game and I lost, but damn was it fun.

RIP in peace PM

you were too beautiful for this world

What is dead may never die.

It was a more accessible Melee done right. I'm looking forward to their new project.

It's my favorite Smash game, in terms of pacing, tech, matchups, characters, and stages. I don't care if they take my Wii away - I'll never stop playing it.

I think the game can still live on, at least now people can advance the meta game.

The game will live on, no PM TOs are backing down or calling it quits.

My local community is making jokes about it and saying how it'll never get traction in our area now.

Which really hurts me considering how much I love this game and how many great moments I've had playing it, both online and offline.

What hurts the most is the Smash direct this month which will ignore PM, and ignore Melee. And we'll never get the full story of what finally scared the PMDT off.

Spade

I think the game can still live on, at least now people can advance the meta game.

Spot on. Was thinking earlier how quite a noticeable amount of people did want it to stop updating (to establish a meta).

The community just needs to keep going. I know I won't stop playing just because of this as it's my favorite Smash game.

emb

Exactly. As cool as new characters could have been, it's great that the game can now develop the way it should, via the people. The game shouldn't change, the players should keep evolving the way they play.

I just played as Lyn. In Smash. Living the dream of pre-Brawl me.

I'm gonna bring the dev build to our Smash meetup this Friday, with a big 'ol DEV BUILD logo on the CSS in case anyone asks dumb questions about if it'll be the new tournament build.

Got our new KCSB logo in PMS2 and everything - working on editing the CSS and Stage Select as well.

We also might have a venue, I mean one outside of the campus for tournaments again. One of our group has been working with a few guys to come up with an area for weeklies (!).

He says it's just a warehouse basically, with not much more than tables and maybe space heaters, and we may need to buy like 400$ in chairs, but I don't give a crap.

I need to SMASH.

xezuru

Dude this shit is fucking killing me, the way PM went out, the way some of the PMDT have acted disgustingly after the leaks, the fact that Lynn is fucking godlike and insanely fun even with the remaining jank polish to be seen.

I'm not gonna give the game up at least any time soon, but goddamn what a shame.

I'm not gonna give the game up at least any time soon, but goddamn what a shame.

Yeah for sure. Giving my AV some PM love for the next week or so.

Also found out some crap is keeping us from closing the deal on the new venue. I'm still not giving up though, just gonna focus on the Friday meetup and maybe schedule a few more to tide us over while we look at more places.

As for the dev build, I'm letting it go. This post:

https://www.facebook.com/Mewtwo2000/posts/724185831014518?fref=nf

Is enough to show me the PMDT don't deserve to have to be scared for all the work they did for us.

xezuru

Welp, buckling down and going to my local, let's see what the turnouts gonna be after "THE INCIDENT", time to get my ass beat by Bladewise and ePG dudes.

Wait, the Smash 4 crew battle planned for Genesis has Japan in a single crew and the US chopped up into 6 crews (that actually leave out entire regions like the Midwest at that)?

oh boy the Japanophiles are about to get extra annoying

edit: might as well try to draw up better crews, especially cause NorCal is ass at Smash 4

international crews: Mexico, Canada, Europe, Japan (still OP if the US is divided...but idk how to avoid this)
US crews: just use the typical East/West/South/Midwest

or alternatively just remove Japan, put South America, and then have a separate (bigger) US vs Japan crew battle

(this does depend on Europe/South America having enough good players though)

GamerJM

Banned
Welp, buckling down and going to my local, let's see what the turnouts gonna be after "THE INCIDENT", time to get my ass beat by Bladewise and ePG dudes.

At my local last night the turnout for PM seemed to be the same as usual. I asked the TOs if they were going to continue running it and they said yeah probably.

emb

At my local last night the turnout for PM seemed to be the same as usual. I asked the TOs if they were going to continue running it and they said yeah probably.
If anything I want to play PM more right now than I've wanted to in a long time.

Interest will probably start waning slowly when people question the long term prospects of it. But I think the game has life in it for a while. And I think people will incorrectly make a big deal out of the 'no more patches' stuff.

Anth0ny

I think it's pretty cool that there's no more patches coming, at least. I've heard from plenty of players that were interested in PM... once the final version was released and they'd stop patching/balancing shit every couple of months.

Now is their chance to jump into a game that won't be changing. Hopefully this will be a good thing for PM!

Yeah meanwhile half the PM players in my local group are talking of dropping it until whatever new build comes, and the Melee players are seemingly glad it's one less game to host.

Which is really starting to get to me. I don't want to go back to Netplay and Driving 2 hours to events.

emb

Yeah, I think that's a great thing for the game to be in a final state. I've definitely complained about PM for constant changes and lost a lot of interest for it.

The way it happened though all feels so negative.

emb

Why are people acting like they expect Melee HD to happen any moment? I know it's a general possibility, but why all of the sudden now at this event would it have been announced?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why are people acting like they expect Melee HD to happen any moment? I know it's a general possibility, but why all of the sudden now at this event would it have been announced?

Gotta have hype, it's the magic that sometimes turns dreams into reality. Actually that's not right, but let's go with it anyway.

Anth0ny

top 3 dream games all got announced at E3 this year

we need new dream games besides HL3

Melee HD fits the bill :)

emb

Some sick and twisted part of me now expects a Brawl HD

Sakurai man...
That would be such a beautiful troll move. :) I think maybe I'd like watching Melee people outrage about that, more than I'd like the community arguing about playing Melee HD vs classic.

Anth0ny

Some sick and twisted part of me now expects a Brawl HD

Sakurai man...

Nintendo has to be aware of the fact that Melee is possibly their most actively played game that's more than 5 years old.

No other Nintendo game PERIOD is getting those stream numbers. That has to count for something.

The demand is there more than it is for 99.9% of games that get HD remasters. We just got a fucking Shadow Complex Remastered announcement. Halo MCC is a thing that exists (even though they botched it, I don't expect Nintendo to make that mistake). Come on.

GamerJM

Banned
The problem with Melee HD as a "hype," game is that when anyone posts about it they're going to get 500 replies from non-community members saying that they need to move on. Whereas if someone posts about HL3, even the people who didn't like HL2 at least understand why there needs to be a third game.

Top Bottom