• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Glad HBOX won another actual major since Paragon [MLG that wasn't stacked at all doesn't count]

As for Armada? No John's but he can definitely play much better. Messed up so many tech-chases, was full hopping all over the place... - just pretty sloppy play. I also don't know why he switched his style after the first grand-finals set when the previous was working.

FZZ

Banned
First set of GF and first game of 2nd set of GF were kinda draining to watch, so many whiffed grabs and punishes, and I think I saw Armada dash dancing more in one game than PP ever has in a set lmao

But after that WHEW

Congrats to Hbox really happy he finally got one and it wasn't the usual Armada wins from winner's side.

Hopefully everyone is back in top shape for Genesis 3. That tournament is going to be SUPER interesting and I think it'll set the precedence for 2016.

also

Banned
Really happy for HBox.

The 1st and 2nd game of the second GF set were kind of drag but the rest was entertaining. Especially the winners finals where Hbox was basically always lagging behind Armada but then he always came back with some clutch rests. The pound->rest on Pokemon stadium was probably my favorite moment.

GamerJM

Banned
1. Armada
2. Leffen
3. HBox
4. Mango
5. M2K/PPMD (too many undecided variables to decide here imo)

Mango is started to get kinda underrated honestly tbh, but I also think 2014 and even maybe 2013 results are still relevant when deciding these rankings and he destroyed last year. Also I'm still super impressed by Leffen's three tournament run streak this Summer, plus he won HTC. I think he would look more obvious at 2nd if he just learns the Samus matchup lol.

Mango won Press Start btw

Bakkus

1. Armada
2. Leffen
3. HBox
4. Mango
5. M2K/PPMD (too many undecided variables to decide here imo)

Mango is started to get kinda underrated honestly tbh, but I also think 2014 and even maybe 2013 results are still relevant when deciding these rankings and he destroyed last year.

He won Press Start btw

No they are not relevant when deciding an end of the year 2015 rank.

GamerJM

Banned
No they are not relevant when deciding an end of the year 2015 rank.

Well, I never said end of year rank :p. I think placing importance on something like Apex 2015 and not Big House 4 seems kind of arbitrary when they were much closer together than Dreamhack and Apex 2015. I realize most people won't agree with me on this though.

Bakkus

Well, I never said end of year rank :p. I think placing importance on something like Apex 2015 and not Big House 4 seems kind of arbitrary when they were much closer together than Dreamhack and Apex 2015. I realize most people won't agree with me on this though.

I can see your point, but the 2015 top 100 rank should only count results from 2015 tournaments.

emb

I can see your point, but the 2015 top 100 rank should only count results from 2015 tournaments.
I think they should expand on the way it was done this year. In the summer, we got a mid-year top 25. Ideally, I'd love to see a full ranking twice a year. That's a lot of work though, so I'd be just as happy if the rankings were limited to top 50 for both. Or something.

Point is, I think it would be better if we had an official ranking every 6 months, that mostly considered the preceding half year.

My predictions for the 2015 end of year:

1. Armada (guaranteed, obvious)
2. Leffen
3. Hungrybox
4. Mango
5. PPMD
6. M2K

If it was only accounting for end of year, I think Leffen would drop to 3 or 4 and PP would drop to 6. Both of them have not very pretty results from their few recent appearances.

7-10 is still a toss up. Same few names as the last couple of ranks; Plup, Axe, Westballz in some order, then Shroomed/PPU/Lucky. I don't know enough of the data by heart to really determine from them.

FZZ

Banned
wait what

isn't he like 20? I mean unless this is some cultural thing or he's not planning on actually getting married for a while now...

EDIT: Yo he even got Bill Trinen's congratulations

what is going oooooonnnnn

Yeah he's 20 and she's 18

As someone who's 19 and turning 20 very soon, I can't imagine getting engaged this early. The odds are against them, but I wish them the best of luck.

I think they should expand on the way it was done this year. In the summer, we got a mid-year top 25. Ideally, I'd love to see a full ranking twice a year. That's a lot of work though, so I'd be just as happy if the rankings were limited to top 50 for both. Or something.

Point is, I think it would be better if we had an official ranking every 6 months, that mostly considered the preceding half year.

2. Leffen
3. Hungrybox
4. Mango
5. PPMD
6. M2K

If it was only accounting for end of year, I think Leffen would drop to 3 or 4 and PP would drop to 6. Both of them have not very pretty results from their few recent appearances.

7-10 is still a toss up. Same few names as the last couple of ranks; Plup, Axe, Westballz in some order, then Shroomed/PPU/Lucky. I don't know enough of the data by heart to really determine from them.

Without going too deep into records Plup seems like the clear number 7. Bunch of wins against the top 6, more consistent than Westballz, and finished higher than him at Evo, Smash Summit, and Dreamhack. What was the last major tournament where Axe did really well at? Last time I remember him beating a god was Sandstorm. My impression is he normally lives up to his 7-10th place ranking and rarely goes above that.

Daouzin

2. Leffen
3. Hungrybox
4. Mango
5. PPMD
6. M2K

I'd swap PPMD & M2K
and Leffen & Hungrybox

Hungrybox has been getting 2nd place in like everything.

I think Mango at 4-6th would be fair though.

7. Plup
8. Westballz
9. Axe

I do think Axe will have a good year next year. Teaming with HBox will help a lot.

Tomohawk

I'd swap PPMD & M2K
and Leffen & Hungrybox

Hungrybox has been getting 2nd place in like everything.

I think Mango at 4-6th would be fair though.

7. Plup
8. Westballz
9. Axe

I do think Axe will have a good year next year. Teaming with HBox will help a lot.
I feel like leffen will be second, going by what I see most ppl say, but I feel like hbox should be there. I also want to put axe over westballz but he seems to be doing bad lately.

Top 10 will prob be
Armada
Leffen
Hbox
Mango
M2k
Ppmd
Plup
Westballz
Shroomed
Axe

Anth0ny

Ranking the top 6 is really tough.

Armada is #1. No doubt.

M2K I feel pretty confident in saying he's #6 at the moment.

Leffen is hard to say because he's kinda inconsistent. At times, like this Summer, he goes on a fucking tear and just destroys everyone, Armada included. He looks unstoppable when he's playing his best. But then he has shitty runs and doesn't even place top 8 and loses to players that aren't even in the top 10.

PPMD is hard to say because he has barely attended tournaments this year. He's performed super well in all of them but there's so little to look at there.

Mango is hard to say because he's had a pretty shitty year but he's still the GOAT.

Hbox is really consistent, probably the most consistent in the top 6 besides Armada. Beating Armada is no easy feat and he's placed either super well or won the biggest tournaments this year.

that's just why melee is so exciting to watch. you never know what you're going to get. Also, I think Plup is #7 without a doubt right now. He has Mango's number.

Mumei

PPMD is hard to say because he has barely attended tournaments this year. He's performed super well in all of them but there's so little to look at there.

It's funny you say this, because despite his generally excellent placings he's actually looked (relatively speaking) rusty in his matches post-Apex (and even at Apex he could have been better).

GamerJM

Banned
The more I think about it the more I think I'd definitely put PPMD at 6. I was actually pretty impressed by his performance at Apex this year even though it wasn't a dominant number 1, and I thought his play at Evo was great even if his bracket wasn't that hard. But his performance at the Summit was honestly really rough, whenever he played on stream it felt sub-God-tier to me. And considering his lack of performances, that's the current most significant data we have to go off of.

emb

If we give some serious weight to the Summit Exhibitions, and we don't really count the Apex at the start of the year, there's even a case for Plup over PPMD. The former has the more recent head to head win, plus wins over Mango this year, and more than 1 win over Leffen.

PP did great at Apex though. Even though the set with S2J was close, he was able to show up with strong wins over Leffen and Armada. He did drop 1 set to Armada, but I still thought that tournament was pretty dominant from him.

Daouzin

Really debating on going to Genesis 3. Originally I wasn't going to, but they just tweeted more recent numbers.

Melee: 1,459
Smash 4: 778
SSB 64: 165

So tempting!

Anth0ny

Really debating on going to Genesis 3. Originally I wasn't going to, but they just tweeted more recent numbers.

Melee: 1,459
Smash 4: 778
SSB 64: 165

So tempting!

Same. Only problem is I'm broke and I live in Toronto. That's an expensive ass flight >_<

emb

Genesis 3 will probably end up being the biggest Melee tournament to date. We're getting close to the final numbers though. Should be close.

Can never really say how a tournament will turn out, but hopefully it's as good as the last 2.

Speaking of legendary tournament series, I'm thinking about going to Pound 6.

FZZ

Banned
I'm expecting 2.1k for Melee and 1.2k for Smash 4 by how fast the numbers are getting for each game.

Genesis 3 is gonna be so fucking hype, Wish I could attend in person but there's no way I can drive up to NorCal on the given date.

Daouzin

I'm expecting 2.1k for Melee and 1.2k for Smash 4 by how fast the numbers are getting for each game.

Genesis 3 is gonna be so fucking hype, Wish I could attend in person but there's no way I can drive up to NorCal on the given date.

Yeah, I really have no excuse to not go, but I'm doing something big for my 30th in December and I just bought a really good and pricey PC so I'm thinking it wouldn't be very responsible.

However, the new PC should be able to handle Melee Netplay with ease.

Top Bottom