• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Anth0ny

The problem with Melee HD as a "hype," game is that when anyone posts about it they're going to get 500 replies from non-community members saying that they need to move on. Whereas if someone posts about HL3, even the people who didn't like HL2 at least understand why there needs to be a third game.

as soon as nintendo officially announces Melee HD the non-community members will be all over melee's dick

exact same thing happened with the gamecube controller before and after they announced the adapter. from "OMG just move on already the pro controller is fine" to "OMG nintendo is so awesome GC controller is the best thing ever for smash"

Pappasman

Tbh, If they ever did anything like Melee HD it would be cool to get more single player stuff. Smash 4 is a massive letdown in that area. Melee and Brawl destroy 4 in single player content imo. Another 50 events, another set of targets for every characters, a new Adventure mode, a new race to the finish. That would be awesome.

Maybe some special challenges that require tech like waveshining...

xezuru

Last night was a super high level top tier ez mode amazing
lightning fast 0-2 first local, buster status
tournament run. Honestly more surprised that while there definitely some playing with their food, but I never thought/felt that I was getting absolutely fucked with pure hopelessness, pretty much get fucked in my shitty neutral for most the stocks, then maybe one stock or so I would be my game where I'd get a great techchase conversion into death string.

Atmosphere felt like it was typical turnout for them, if i had to guess, it had around 26 people (concurrent) at least playing, lots a people coming and going, lots of state of PM trolling "At l east knuckles can chuckle -- HUAHUAHUA".

Notes to self in locals:
Ask to jump in friendly rotations more
Ask for more advice in such
Meet more people
Bring fucking water (the dudes have tons of refreshments and hospitality but next time I don't want to wade through the river of setups just to fill up a glass)

GamerJM

Banned
I honestly doubt Melee HD getting well-received by non-diehards, but I think it would sell fine by HD remaster standards because Nintendo fans would buy it anyways if they add some single-player modes and bundle it with an Amiibo. And I think the tournament scene is big enough to generate a decent chunk of sales as well.

Daouzin

I honestly doubt Melee HD getting well-received by non-diehards.

This is where I think everyone would be surprised. It's anecdotal, but I know tons of Smash 4 casual fans that are SUPER curious about Melee, but they have no interest in playing it on a CRT and getting a Wii specifically to play it.

Daouzin

Wow, I got Melee Netplay going and it's amazing!

I've destroyed everyone I've played so far with Ganon, even a Shiek, haha, but I'm sure I'd run into good players as soon as I start doing ranked matches.

Just really impressed. So happy that I can get experience with non AZ Melee players now.

If any of you do Netplay and want to play today, I'm down. I'll switch between Ganon, Marth, Falco, Fox, probably some Falcon as well.

Tomohawk

Wow, I got Melee Netplay going and it's amazing!

I've destroyed everyone I've played so far with Ganon, even a Shiek, haha, but I'm sure I'd run into good players as soon as I start doing ranked matches.

Just really impressed. So happy that I can get experience with non AZ Melee players now.

If any of you do Netplay and want to play today, I'm down. I'll switch between Ganon, Marth, Falco, Fox, probably some Falcon as well.

I'd be down after exams, what version of dolphin and ISO did u use.

Daouzin

If you haven't voted yet, do your part.

Melee vs Chrono Trigger

I know it's hard, but we all know it's Melee or we wouldn't have over 9,000 hours into this game.

I'd be down after exams, what version of dolphin and ISO did u use.

I believe I'm using the newest version of Dolphin and standard Melee 1.02 with Netplay Community Codes. On the Host game selection screen it says Gale though.

Jigolo

Undertale beat Super Mario World?

2Xw2MFC.gif

If you haven't voted yet, do your part.

Melee vs Chrono Trigger

I know it's hard, but we all know it's Melee or we wouldn't have over 9,000 hours into this game.

I believe I'm using the newest version of Dolphin and standard Melee 1.02 with Netplay Community Codes. On the Host game selection screen it says Gale though.

heh, funny thing is Chrono Trigger was probably well on its way to ending the Ocarina of Time/Final Fantasy VII dominance but then Undertale showed up and now we're here

oh well, too late now!

Falco's feet are covered in molasses what on earth. two extra frames of jumpsquat really makes this much difference for shorthops?!

Skyrim beat Metroid Prime

This entire thing is clearly a waste of time.

metroid prime sold a couple million copies 13 years ago

skyrim sold 20 million+ copies 4 years ago.

Nintendo's choice to hold back a generation in hardware power and to let metroid wither away after corruption kind of meant it never had a fighting chance of getting hardcore gamers hyped and mobilized in those numbers.

I wonder how high Genesis 3 will end up for all the games? would be nice to break Evo 2015's Smash 4 record with Melee and maybe even break 2000

GamerJM

Banned
So now that all major tournaments for 2015 seem to be over, what was y'alls favorite match of 2015?

Mine:

Armada vs Leffen Paragon 2015

Probably mine as well. The Paragons are honestly probably just behind the Summit as the most entertaining tournaments for me. Great matches throughout, lots of talent there, PM present, good production quality, and they both had a final outcome that I didn't expect. They weren't EVO or TBH sized events but they were still a lot of fun to watch, and what I'd like all non-super Majors to aspire to be like.

emb

So, new tier list:
1 Fox
2 Falco
3 Marth
4 Sheik
5 Jigglypuff
6 Peach
7 Ice Climbers
8 Captain Falcon
9 Pikachu
10 Samus
11 Doctor Mario
12 Yoshi
13 Luigi
14 Ganondorf
15 Mario
16 Young Link
17 Donkey Kong
18 Link
19 Mr. Game & Watch
20 Roy
21 Mewtwo
22 Zelda
23 Ness
24 Pichu
25 Bowser
26 Kirby

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-2015-melee-tier-list-community-lists-released.425523/

So now that all major tournaments for 2015 seem to be over, what was y'alls favorite match of 2015?

Mine:

Armada vs Leffen Paragon 2015
Tough question. I think your answer was good.

I have a hard time pegging a set off hand as the best. Some moments though:
The whole Chillin-Leffen-Mango saga at Apex 2015
PPMD vs Armada at Apex, all three sets
PewPewU vs Hbox at Apex
I don't remember the tournaments, maybe WTFox?, but I remember Armada and Mango playing a close set earlier in the year that I really enjoyed
Leffen tearing through M2K at Smashcon, then M2K answering back at P@X
DruggedFox vs Mango at... HTC? Whichever one he won.
Mango vs Armada Summit finals

There are plenty more no doubt, trying to think about it makes me wanna go back and rewatch some tournaments from this year.

So, new tier list:
1 Fox
2 Falco
3 Marth
4 Sheik
5 Jigglypuff
6 Peach
7 Ice Climbers
8 Captain Falcon
9 Pikachu
10 Samus
11 Doctor Mario
12 Yoshi
13 Luigi
14 Ganondorf
15 Mario
16 Young Link
17 Donkey Kong
18 Link
19 Mr. Game & Watch
20 Roy
21 Mewtwo
22 Zelda
23 Ness
24 Pichu
25 Bowser
26 Kirby

http://smashboards.com/threads/official-2015-melee-tier-list-community-lists-released.425523/

Couple of gripes with the tier list.

Fox is not good enough to have his own tier
Doc should be lower
Luigi should be higher
Ganondorf should be in the same tier as Doc, Yoshi, and Luigi
Mewtwo is better than Roy IMO

Other than that seems to be a solid tier list.

Anth0ny

So, new tier list:
1 Fox
2 Falco
3 Marth
4 Sheik
5 Jigglypuff
6 Peach
7 Ice Climbers
8 Captain Falcon
9 Pikachu
10 Samus
11 Doctor Mario
12 Yoshi
13 Luigi
14 Ganondorf
15 Mario
16 Young Link
17 Donkey Kong
18 Link
19 Mr. Game & Watch
20 Roy
21 Mewtwo
22 Zelda
23 Ness
24 Pichu
25 Bowser
26 Kirby

-poor ganon.

-I also don't think Falco > Marth at this moment. That can change, but yeah.

-fox is #1 with a bullet, but I'm not sure he deserves his own tier. He certainly ain't no Meta Knight.

-Yoshi > Doc

-Mewtwo > Roy and GW

other than that it's a solid list.

GamerJM

Banned
Couple of gripes with the tier list.

Fox is not good enough to have his own tier
Doc should be lower
Luigi should be higher
Ganondorf should be in the same tier as Doc, Yoshi, and Luigi
Mewtwo is better than Roy IMO

Other than that seems to be a solid tier list.

I agree with these issues, also I think Zelda and Pichu should be swapped.

emb

I definitely agree that Ganon should be bumped up a letter grade, even if his place isn't changed. I actually think D should be Yoshi > Luigi > Ganon, then the Marios at the top of E.

Marth > Falco

Imo, Mewtwo and Zelda > Roy. G&W about as good as Link, maybe should be bumped up a tier.

Fox in his own tier is kinda eh... I can see why, but I do think that overemphasizes the gap. His matches vs the rest of S tier aren't that great, but as a whole there isn't really much reason NOT to play him if your fingers can handle it.

Daouzin

I definitely agree that Ganon should be bumped up a letter grade, even if his place isn't changed. I actually think D should be Yoshi > Luigi > Ganon, then the Marios at the top of E.

As a Ganon Main, that's basically what I think, but I think there's an argument to be said for Doc being behind Ganon.

xezuru

Cementing myself in my PM locals as the 0-2 roy that goes too deep and once in 10 lifetimes does sick shit, but mostly just gets floorwiped. Shoutouts to somehow getting a sacrificial under-stage Roy DED carry into DED Spike.

Cementing myself in my PM locals as the 0-2 roy that goes too deep and once in 10 lifetimes does sick shit, but mostly just gets floorwiped. Shoutouts to somehow getting a sacrificial under-stage Roy DED carry into DED Spike.

If you're a buster, that's all that matters.

Do cool stuff, style on fools. Eventually you'll get past going 0-2 :D

Lazulic

as someone without a papa johns near him, hbox and pp retwetting pictures of pizza people got from their discount is pissing me off/making me hungry.

my timeline for the past 2 days has been full of pizza pies i cant eat

FZZ

Banned
Okay I usually don't bother with stuff like this but for everything that is right in this world please VOTE FOR MELEE

Undertale making it this fucking far is honestly one of the biggest tragedies I have seen

I am voting for the sole reason I don't want it to win

Tomohawk

Okay I usually don't bother with stuff like this but for everything that is right in this world please VOTE FOR MELEE

Undertale making it this fucking far is honestly one of the biggest tragedies I have seen

I am voting for the sole reason I don't want it to win

I haven't play undertale, but it seems to be well loved, whats wrong with it?

FZZ

Banned
I haven't play undertale, but it seems to be well loved, whats wrong with it?

It's a good game, great characters and a different take on traditional RPGs. But it has literally blasted through Fallout 3, SMW, Red/Blue, Mass Effect 3, and recently Super Mario 64.

The game is essentially being fueled by fans who have become very fond of the game which is fine of course. But lots are from tumblr, and because of tumblr's size it's the equivalent of 4chan voting for Funky Barn and beating Final Fantansy VII for this contest. Undertale is a much better game (than Funky Barn) but still not good enough to have beaten any of the games it did.

The overhype is real, but my post was a little exaggerated. I just don't personally feel the game is anywhere close to best game of all time material, it wasn't even the best game released this year
shoutouts to Bloodborne

Acerac

Banned
I voted for Melee but there's no reason to hate on Undertale. Most of the reason it has lasted this long in the contest is that it's an extremely good game.

It feels like it has the same kind of "soul" as Earthbound, I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't yet. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't gamefaqs do that vote every year? Undertale is probably never going to get out of the first few rounds ever again even if it wins the whole thing this year. I think an interesting list would be one that shows the average placement over the years, with weight being given to the number of times a game has been on it.

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly I don't think Undertale is anywhere near as good as Earthbound. It's still enjoyable though, and I guess I can see why some people think it's their favorite game or amazing.

Doesn't gamefaqs do that vote every year? Undertale is probably never going to get out of the first few rounds ever again even if it wins the whole thing this year. I think an interesting list would be one that shows the average placement over the years, with weight being given to the number of times a game has been on it.

This is the third best game ever contest in the last 20 years, though they also did a Game of the Decade contest. They used to do a character battle every year but they've stopped making it a consistent thing (didn't have one last year).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Getting one of those Sewell HDMI adapters. Those are supposed to be legit, my TV is probably too laggy even with that but my monitor should be fine. Curious to see how that works out.

Anth0ny

its popular. specifically popular right now, in this month of this year.

thats all this is really. getting worked up over it is just dumb.

i mean... there's popular and then there's beating out Mario World, Mario 64, Pokemon RBY and possibly Melee on the gamefaqs vote thingy.

I had no idea there was THAT much popularity and hype behind the game right now.

Top Bottom