• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars |OT| Extracurricular Activities

Some thoughts:

This is a pretty good game. Not a 6/10. 7 or 7.5.

I'd say that when I first started playing I had some worries. I was trying to max my affection early on and got the same scenes on repeat like...after two chats. I was worried about that, even if it did let me max my girls out it made the characters kinda stale. Welp, progress the game and that goes away quick. No longer have that issue and now there are lots of scenes with multiple chances to raise affection. Coolness.

Battles were fairly simple early on. Get behind, hit em hard and yay you won. That...changed pretty early on in the story. So that worry went away.

The only thing that I find drags the game down a lot is the menu system is NEEDLESSLY esoteric or complicated. There are weird ways to find information, odd paths to take to get to menus you use all the time and they're just generally dense and hard to wade through. I mean fuck's sake, what's my girl's level? I dunno, can't check in the menu in a dungeon lol.

Dungeons and combat are decent, nothing amazing but not like...terrible. I dunno. They don't bug me much.

The characters made better by some silly writing. They'd be fairly standard tropes but the localization is actually pretty good. And the voice acting is nowhere near as bad as the trailers lead me to believe. It's not amazing but it's far from awful. Some of them are actually pretty good.

I'm in the third dungeon and if people consider this fanservice to be bad or over the top, I must really be a pervert because it hasn't even gotten me to bat an eye or not play it on the subway.

The things dragging this game down are due to it being a game from a smaller studio, I imagine. That and those fucking menus.

So yeah, this game is fun. Glad I picked it up. Torri is best waifu.

Shingro

Some thoughts:

This is a pretty good game. Not a 6/10. 7 or 7.5.

I'd say that when I first started playing I had some worries. I was trying to max my affection early on and got the same scenes on repeat like...after two chats. I was worried about that, even if it did let me max my girls out it made the characters kinda stale. Welp, progress the game and that goes away quick. No longer have that issue and now there are lots of scenes with multiple chances to raise affection. Coolness.

Battles were fairly simple early on. Get behind, hit em hard and yay you won. That...changed pretty early on in the story. So that worry went away.

The only thing that I find drags the game down a lot is the menu system is NEEDLESSLY esoteric or complicated. There are weird ways to find information, odd paths to take to get to menus you use all the time and they're just generally dense and hard to wade through. I mean fuck's sake, what's my girl's level? I dunno, can't check in the menu in a dungeon lol.

Dungeons and combat are decent, nothing amazing but not like...terrible. I dunno. They don't bug me much.

The characters made better by some silly writing. They'd be fairly standard tropes but the localization is actually pretty good. And the voice acting is nowhere near as bad as the trailers lead me to believe. It's not amazing but it's far from awful. Some of them are actually pretty good.

I'm in the third dungeon and if people consider this fanservice to be bad or over the top, I must really be a pervert because it hasn't even gotten me to bat an eye or not play it on the subway.

The things dragging this game down are due to it being a game from a smaller studio, I imagine. That and those fucking menus.

So yeah, this game is fun. Glad I picked it up. Torri is best waifu.

Awesome avatar =)

So should we get into waifu wars or does the harem nature of Conception 2 mean we gotta be all Utopian about this business?

Shingro

So, I'm still real early, and I've maxed people's affection limit, but there's special events waiting for me in the talking, is it safe to see them or should I save them until their affection limit goes up?

Just started the game. I just want to clarify with those that are further something critical in games like these: how's the difficulty? Will I have a harder time if I choose one girl over another or if I don't choose proper classes? On the surface it seems like it'll have a lot of combinations and strategizing, and I'd prefer it if I didn't have to spend hours searching the web looking for the perfect combination to defeat an enemy.

I just finished the first dungeon, is the entire game this easy?

I was hyped for the game but the game so far is a dating sim with with easy dungeons.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a demo on the UK store?was wondering between this and demon gaze, and leaning towards the latter, but a demo would be helpful

Darksol

What approach has everyone taken for levelling their heroines? Are you sticking to 1 or 2 main ones and letting everyone else just sit there? Trying to level everyone equally? How's it working out for everyone?

I'm generally the type that levels everyone to a certain level, then focusses on my main. So at first, I had everyone up to 12, now I'm trying to get everyone up to 25, etc. But I'm worried that if I level everyone equally I may end up in a dungeon where they are rather underpowered.

Any suggestions?

Well, I was wondering more about performance and framerate, but thanks anyway.

Isn't the demo available for both systems? Why not just try it. I don't have a vita anymore, but on 3DS is looks like about 30fps with 3D off. With 3D on it's the same framerate (so locked at 30) but the game can slooooow down quite drastically and the 3D adds absolutely nothing (it's hardly even noticable).

Any suggestions?

I'm trying to level all the girls equally, though I'm still near the beginning of the game with only 5 of them unlocked.
The Training labyrinth is great for it since it doesn't proceed with the story and is rather easy, so you can just run through and soak up experience.

The most tedious thing is making enough kids with each girls, since you need 9 per mother for all the bonuses and whatnot, and that requires good happiness levels.
Then they max in a dungeon or two and you need to make new, better ones!
The whole thing with "three interactions per day before having to rest" is already old.

Holmes

How much is missable in this game, especially with respect to trophies? Lots of them seem to be about getting all the girls' events and endings. Would that require multiple playthroughs or can it all be done in one?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How much is missable in this game, especially with respect to trophies? Lots of them seem to be about getting all the girls' events and endings. Would that require multiple playthroughs or can it all be done in one?
From what I've noticed, there's not too much that's missable. You can't really miss any of the events with the heroines since you can keep doing them over & over until you get repeat sub-events. Not to mention the battle related ones are rather easy, especially if you do the sub-dungeons. Only one I need are the 30 intercepts, which feel rather random.

What approach has everyone taken for levelling their heroines? Are you sticking to 1 or 2 main ones and letting everyone else just sit there? Trying to level everyone equally? How's it working out for everyone?
I'm the RPG player that aims for equal stats for everyone in case of the chance of the "oh noes the party members have split up!" event or "You HAVE to use this person!". Though sometimes, certain heroines are better for different dungeons based on the type of enemies (Fuuko was great in Greed because ice/water attacks were stronger).

Holmes

From what I've noticed, there's not too much that's missable. You can't really miss any of the events with the heroines since you can keep doing them over & over until you get repeat sub-events. Not to mention the battle related ones are rather easy, especially if you do the sub-dungeons. Only one I need are the 30 intercepts, which feel rather random.
Oh, cool. Good to know. How long has it taken you?

Aaaaah ha ha ha, to see individual stats you have to hit the right direction when you select a team in team info. How super stupid.

As for me, grinding is super easy if you gimmick the game a little. Since your hero is in every battle and levels like a mofo more than everyone else, and whether or not an enemy is "weak" enough to be insta-gibbed by him is determined by that and maybe heroine level, and since gibbing an enemy is exactly like having the battle in regards to leveling and children moods, you just find a room with like...4 enemies you can gib, kill em, run to two or three rooms away, wait like...4 or 5 minutes. Maybe even less, I've seen it go in two and head back to the room. First door you go through on the way back will respawn them all, then you just sweep em and repeat. Levels shit way fast. I've been playing catch up with other heroines and teams that way. Helps a great deal.

That being said, I'm now 4 dungeons in and haven't bought a single thing from the regular shop. Find everything I need in dungeons. Gift shop on the other hand... *sticks devil wings on his rocket legged loli* >____>

So yeah, still like the game. Maybe Demon Gaze will be the better game but a better game existing doesn't prevent me from playing a lesser game. I can play them both, I have the power.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I'm finally getting into the game and was wondering if having 9 kids with their mom grants me with some bonus or not.

Li Kao

Just started the game yesterday and was pretty underwhelmed, but I knew what I was going into and don't feel bad about my purchase.
It's just that of all the fucking things that the game borrowed from the game that we can't name, it had to be an atrociously slow start. Played some time in bed, and the game only opened up when it was seriously time to sleep. Not funny.
And while it is a very personal thing, I'm not fond of the game lore to be honest. It's evidently too out there to be taken seriously and at the same time the damn writer goes out of his way to make cohesion out of it. I want a slightly pervy rpg, I want social link / dating sim, I want dungeons, I want a lot of things... but I never signed for generic dusk circles that represents human cardinal sins.

That being said, the little I glimpse of the real game after the dialog barrage has me interested. I'm excited for the mechanics the game has to offer. Dating, gifts, dungeon crawl, leveling up the town etc...

Shingro

Just started the game yesterday and was pretty underwhelmed, but I knew what I was going into and don't feel bad about my purchase.
It's just that of all the fucking things that the game borrowed from the game that we can't name, it had to be an atrociously slow start. Played some time in bed, and the game only opened up when it was seriously time to sleep. Not funny.
And while it is a very personal thing, I'm not fond of the game lore to be honest. It's evidently too out there to be taken seriously and at the same time the damn writer goes out of his way to make cohesion out of it. I want a slightly pervy rpg, I want social link / dating sim, I want dungeons, I want a lot of things... but I never signed for generic dusk circles that represents human cardinal sins.

That being said, the little I glimpse of the real game after the dialog barrage has me interested. I'm excited for the mechanics the game has to offer. Dating, gifts, dungeon crawl, leveling up the town etc...

I think you might be remembering Persona's start a bit fondly, the game is brilliant, but at least in P4 it's hours before you even see your first battle, and characters are constantly repeating information to ensure the player's not lost, sometimes talking in circles for entire scenes.

Fair criticisms though, personally I like the plot/premise/whatever. I'll sign on for the craziest thing the devs can dream up stupid or no. I guess it's the Bayonetta effect?

Ryuukan

Dear Stargod,
Why do the girls still only want to be my friend after sealing six labyrinths.
The most intimate experience I've had was with Chloe when I took out my
tissue
and rubbed her
tears
Please make my harem end a reality.
-G.G.

I think you might be remembering Persona's start a bit fondly, the game is brilliant, but at least in P4 it's hours before you even see your first battle, and characters are constantly repeating information to ensure the player's not lost, sometimes talking in circles for entire scenes.

Fair criticisms though, personally I like the plot/premise/whatever. I'll sign on for the craziest thing the devs can dream up stupid or no. I guess it's the Bayonetta effect?

It's a bit unfair to compare something from the Persona series with this though. This is meant to be cheesy as hell from what I gather, just pure dating sim with the bonus of an ok dungeon crawler with decent jrpg mechanics. But now I'm noticing that certain aspects in the non-dungeon part of the game are kind of annoying. Like others said the 3 events a day thing is stupid since all they force you to do is go to your room and rest and then continue on with no repercussions. You're adding a middle man that is not necessary.

Dear Stargod,
tissue
and rubbed her
tears
-G.G.

Apparently having theoretical children with you and joining your essences together was not enough to get past the friendzone lol

I'm generally the type that levels everyone to a certain level, then focusses on my main. So at first, I had everyone up to 12, now I'm trying to get everyone up to 25, etc. But I'm worried that if I level everyone equally I may end up in a dungeon where they are rather underpowered.

Any suggestions?

I'm not that far but unless there's a reason to level every heroine I'll stick with one or two I level up. Doing the events is another thing, I'm pretty much only ignoring 1 girl so far of the 4 I have, but I'll be ignoring the 5th since I already know who she is.

If there is a point to level up every heroine, I don't see it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dear Stargod,
tissue
and rubbed her
tears
-G.G.

This is why Ellie is the best.

Honestly, I'm amazed I like Serina as much as I do. I normally can't stand tsunderes but her voice acting is probably one of if not the best and I enjoy her 3D model and design. Not to mention her sweet rocket leg.

I'm doing scenes and levelling equally, but I generally am favoring Terri or Serina. Narika and Chloe get some time too but that's just because I'm an awful person and like boobs.

Shingro

It's a bit unfair to compare something from the Persona series with this though. This is meant to be cheesy as hell from what I gather, just pure dating sim with the bonus of an ok dungeon crawler with decent jrpg mechanics. But now I'm noticing that certain aspects in the non-dungeon part of the game are kind of annoying. Like others said the 3 events a day thing is stupid since all they force you to do is go to your room and rest and then continue on with no repercussions. You're adding a middle man that is not necessary.

Apparently having theoretical children with you and joining your essences together was not enough to get past the friendzone lol

true enough, I feel like there's some inspirations taken, but fundamentally this game is focused on the relationships and events. Slice of life game? Just a life in a crazy place?

Any suggestions?

Just bring them to runs where you level up your new Children up to base. My heroines are sort of evenly leveled right now because of that. I think it might be a good idea because each heroine's attack seem to be elemental based. Taking Ellie with me to a certain dungeon, for example, made battles a bit slower because she was fire-elemental and most of the monsters there were fire-based. I mean, it's not game-breaking not to have a girl with the opposite element but it kind of makes battle longer and.... I'm impatient and want them over quickly....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, cool. Good to know. How long has it taken you?
I started getting most of the battle related trophies on my 3rd set of dungeons, as I would take care of those sub-dungeons first, then go for the actual dungeon to advance the story (which I think made me more powerful than I should have, especially if you use the elemental weakness on the boss). Just keep at it/fight as many battles as possible, & they should come soon enough.

& finally, Feene, the 7th girl is now available. & OHHH BOOYYY
she mentions letting me possibly take a pic of her in "her silky smooth, milky-white, precious nudity" as Chlotz puts it.
MUST ADVANCE TO SEE IF THIS HAPPENS.

Also, there a place to see pics of all the accessories? Feels kind of pointless to buy them when you can't see them in battle or the key events. Also wondering when I get new costumes.

Moving along, and I too have been entertained by Serina. Voice actress is a great fit, delivering what is in some ways the Lina Inverse of the game.

About to enter the third story dungeon.

Shingro

Moving along, and I too have been entertained by Serina. Voice actress is a great fit, delivering what is in some ways the Lina Inverse of the game.

About to enter the third story dungeon.

Yeah, I like her the best too, she's got fire in the belly. I think Ellie might surpass her though depending on what her reveal is

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh wow, that's awesome. Just discovered that when selecting a dungeon & which floor you want to start on, you can press the square button on certain floors & it'll say what quest you can complete on that floor, be it a certain item to collect, enemies to fight, etc. This makes things so much easier, since I'd have to guess where they were located at times.

closer013

Oh wow, that's awesome. Just discovered that when selecting a dungeon & which floor you want to start on, you can press the square button on certain floors & it'll say what quest you can complete on that floor, be it a certain item to collect, enemies to fight, etc. This makes things so much easier, since I'd have to guess where they were located at times.

What? REALLY?

Added edit: Holy shit man, nice find! Also I think that's what the yellow exclamation by dungeon names indicates. I'm thrilled to see is an in game feature.

Serrato

When Torri reveal the name of the carving she made I just lost it. I laughed for like 2 minutes. This game is genius.

NFreak

Really enjoying the game so far but kind of regret purchasing the game for 3DS over the Vita. I had no idea there was Danganronpa DLC on the Vita version. Feel kinda stupid. Oh well, at least the game is fun.

Just beat my second full dungeon. I got introduced to all the girls that would join my party eventually, but apparently they won't be joining until
the next dungeon
? I don't know. Seems like the only girl of the ones I currently care about that obviously wants to be more than just friends with you is Fuuko. Ms Chloe, you're breaking my heart. After taking you to all those dungeons and making all those star children with you, you still treat me as a student, only slightly depend on me. GOD DAMMIT. Let's hope the other girls don't treat me so friend zonish after all the shit I do.

On a different note, I got my first star child who can go to lvl 99. A berserker. I called him Guts, because you kind of have to. I also got some merchants and I have a decent amount of thiefs, so seems like the second wave have started to appear. I'll probably keep Guts until more level 99'ers start appearing. I don't know if I can let him go to be independent, he already holds a special place in my heart. Until Guts II appears.

Darksol

Give birth to a Star Child of each class -- does that mean one of the super duper Lv. 99 special children, or literally, just one kid in each class? Just to be safe, all my rare star children I've been keeping a list of, so I know which ones I'm still missing :)

Have my city up to Lv. 65. About to finish the
Wrath
dungeon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I THINK just give birth to one kid per class. Though for some reason, the game hasn't been registering the fact I've been filling up the screen that tells you who can equip a weapon/armor. Perhaps it's because as soon as they're born (it keeps track on the screen when choosing a job), I make them independent, though I got what I assume is the final job & I still didn't get the trophy. Maybe I need to level the kid up first?

Darksol

I THINK just give birth to one kid per class. Though for some reason, the game hasn't been registering the fact I've been filling up the screen that tells you who can equip a weapon/armor. Perhaps it's because as soon as they're born (it keeps track on the screen when choosing a job), I make them independent, though I got what I assume is the final job & I still didn't get the trophy. Maybe I need to level the kid up first?

It's a mystery to me. Ah well, I'm not especially a trophy hunter, and most of the trophies in this game I've got naturally just from grinding anyways.

Has anyone beat the game yet? Can you continue working on the girls/town after the end?

Top Bottom