• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord’s Death Offers a Bleak Look at Gaming’s Future

havoc00

Earlier this week, after warping across the galaxy for 90 hours in a sentient spacecraft, Twitch streamer John Wissmiller realized that Concord was the best first-person shooter he’d played in a decade.

“The gunplay was crunchy, the movement was smooth, and the progression felt rewarding,” he says. “I was even more enthralled by the world the developers had created when I looked into the lore.”

He wasn’t alone. “One of the biggest perks about the game was the absence of toxicity within the player community,” says Kelle Dees, a content creator at KDeesGamez. “Everything about the game was positive and inclusive.”

On Wednesday, less than two weeks after the game’s August 23 launch, Sony announced it was taking Concord offline and offering full refunds to anyone who had purchased it on PlayStation 5 or PC. “While many qualities of the experience resonated with players, we also recognize that other aspects of the game and our initial launch didn’t land the way we’d intended,” wrote Ryan Ellis, Concord’s director at Firewalk Studios, a division of Sony Interactive Entertainment.

“I was completely devastated,” Wissmiller says. “We’ve never seen a first-party title from Sony get this kind of treatment.”

In fact, we’ve never seen any AAA video game get this kind of treatment—and that’s what could make Concord a horrifying canary in the coal mine for gamers and game workers alike.

“It’s unprecedented for a game of this scale to be shut down so quickly,” says Liam Deane, a video game analyst at Omdia. “Usually publishers keep games that struggle at launch on life support for a while, but in Concord’s case the launch was so bad there was clearly no way back.”

Like Fortnite, Destiny 2, and Valorant, Concord was meant to be a live-service game that constantly released new updates over the course of several years. But while those other games are free to play—and rely on microtransactions to make money—Concord cost $40 up front. “It's just very difficult to break into competitive multiplayer games [and] displace the existing top titles,” says Simon Carless, an industry analyst who publishes the GameDiscoverCo newsletter. “These are the kind of titles that players socialize with their friends in, and they're often not motivated to switch games.”

Sony hasn’t revealed how many copies of Concordsold between August 23 and September 3, but the number of active PC players on the Steam platform peaked at just 697 on launch day. That’s abysmally low for a major release that spent eight years in development; Sony’s previous live-service game, Helldivers 2, had over 155,000 players on its first day, back in February, and later peaked at 458,709.

Helldivers 2, though, was a breakout hit that already had an established fanbase. Concord, on the other hand, was a brand-new franchise that didn’t get much of a marketing push and drew the ire of “anti-woke” snivelers who complained about the game’s use of pronouns on its character selection screen.

“For big companies, it's difficult to work out what bets—and how large bets—you should make,” says Carless. “Some of the corporate overexuberanceduring Covid and low interest rates has meant that large companies overextended, and the pullback has been—and is going to be—painful.”

Barakov

lEOH1Tv.jpeg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
“I was completely devastated,” Wissmiller says. “We’ve never seen a first-party title from Sony get this kind of treatment.”
“It’s unprecedented for a game of this scale to be shut down so quickly,”
“One of the biggest perks about the game was the absence of toxicity within the player community,”
“Everything about the game was positive and inclusive.”

200.gif

havoc00

You're as dead as Concord, John Weismüller, nobody gives a floating 🛟 shit 💩 if it sank. As far as I'm concerned, everything went swimmingly...right to the bottom of the sewer.

I'll see myself out :lollipop_kissing_smiling:
The problem with these people is

These people don't actually want things. They want to prevent you from having the things that you want. They get joy from denying people of things that would make them happy.
They are parasitic and disingenuous. And the people that have wasted massive amounts of time, money, effort to cater to these people still haven't realized two important things.
1. These people can't and won't pay for the things they claim they want.
2. These people are vastly over-represented on the internet when compared to people in the real world that are the actual consumers of the products that are produced.

Whenever products that these mutants championed failed, they never express any amount of introspection as to why that failure occurred. The blame is always shifted elsewhere. Because as you can probably gather, the majority of these specimens are liberal women and trans/women. And women and trans (despite lies to the opposite effect) are NOT the primary consumers of video games.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
"Concord, on the other hand, was a brand-new franchise that didn’t get much of a marketing push and drew the ire of “anti-woke” snivelers who complained about the game’s use of pronouns on its character selection screen."

There it is. It's all chuds fault. Somehow the "modern audience" was swayed by the anti wokes. This shit is so predictable and sad. I'm glad this game failed and I hope it stays dead.

havoc00

"Concord, on the other hand, was a brand-new franchise that didn’t get much of a marketing push and drew the ire of “anti-woke” snivelers who complained about the game’s use of pronouns on its character selection screen."

There it is. It's all chuds fault. Somehow the "modern audience" was swayed by the anti wokes. This shit is so predictable and sad. I'm glad this game failed and I hope it stays dead.
anti-woke” snivelers

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would say its bleak for GaaS and live service games, most other games doing just fine.

Most these GaaS are ultimately completing against Fortnite and COD but they never hope win against them and some successful ones eventually fall off because those players just go back to their Fortnite and COD.

Kacho

Gold Member
The problem with these people is

These people don't actually want things. They want to prevent you from having the things that you want. They get joy from denying people of things that would make them happy.
They are parasitic and disingenuous. And the people that have wasted massive amounts of time, money, effort to cater to these people still haven't realized two important things.
1. These people can't and won't pay for the things they claim they want.
2. These people are vastly over-represented on the internet when compared to people in the real world that are the actual consumers of the products that are produced.

Whenever products that these mutants championed failed, they never express any amount of introspection as to why that failure occurred. The blame is always shifted elsewhere. Because as you can probably gather, the majority of these specimens are women. And women (despite lies to the opposite effect) are NOT the primary consumers of video games.
d790d0e6a5d9abe40d6db71dd007eb7a5b9678c8.jpeg

There's nothing bleak about it. Why would anyone pay £50 for a generic hero shooter with boring character designs when people could download a competitor game for free, better character design and arguably plays better. Let's also be honest, I can't remember seeing a single advertising material for the game?

Saber

They made a cake with the form of poop that taste like shit, people saw it and obviously didn't like. A small amount may come and say "hey, at least the cream taste fine", but it still a cake in form of poop that taste like shit.

Game industry will be fine. The same analogy applies in this case, just make a pretty and tasty cake and people will eat it.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Because there was no one there, or because it was branded into the game?
It's not even correct.

If you said the characters looked like shit, the die-hard fans would have a meltdown and the mods on the Discord would immediately ask you to move away from the subject or they'd ban you.
It was actually one of the most toxic communities I've seen in recent years.

I agree with the gunplay and movement though being good, but all the criticism apart from that was valid.
(Even though I enjoyed it for what it was)

Firewalk just fucked up massively and Sony should've never released it.

Saying this failure shows a bleak future for gaming is a retarded statement as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom