• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] PS5 v PC value comparisons less important than a bleak future for console pricing

Killjoy-NL

But it is technically a more powerful system, even if it's very slight. It's running a 4800g, which isn't all that more powerful. The big problem with Microsoft is their API. Sony's seemed to be way more performant with better through-put using the limited power of the RAM and CPU.
Then it's a matter of semantics.
Ultimately, DF ran with it and kept being 'surprised' how close both systems are all the time.
I don't care either way as a PC user who is glad that platform agnosticism is finally becoming a normal thing, but I can't see Bagliatelli purposefully spreading misinfo as he clearly doesn't care about the console race either, and has a track record of being way more interested in raw technical deconstruction.
It's easy to hide biases behind technical aspects, but that's where the FUD comes into play.
Fact is, he was part of the Discord, Spencer discussed the differences with DF and both were wrong about actual performances of both systems.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Then it's a matter of semantics.
Ultimately, DF ran with it and kept being 'surprised' how close both systems are all the time.

It's easy to hide biases behind technical aspects, but that's where the FUD comes into play.
Fact is, he was part of the Discord, Spencer discussed the differences with DF and both were wrong with actual performances of both systems.
Yeah, but your implying 'inherently bad faith bias against', instead of 'indifference' which is more likely the case. Like i'm inherently indifferent to both companies, I just like both platforms to put out great hardware so I benefit from it as a PC gamer with great content utilizing proper hardware.

Also, dit had volgens mij net zo goed in het Nederlands gekund, haha.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
More stupid shit, I'm sorry.

Consoles gaining high-end options is not indicative of a massive general trend upwards in console pricing. Its simply adding a upper cost variant to the line-up.

Its like saying the price of a 4090 indicates a massive trend upwards in GPU cost.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Why, the fuck do people treat DF seriously? Have they been around long enough that everyone but me has managed to develop a massive blindspot for the fact that they have the most unironically overblown and pretentious name of any outlet in gaming?

Like, if that doesn't make you realize how far up their own asses these clowns are... I give up!
But it actually does, but it's not exactly fault of Nvidia or Sony, is easy to look how much wafer cost in TSMC on current processing nodes. And it will be worse:
TSMC to Raise Wafer Prices by 10% in 2025, Customers Seemingly Agree | TechPowerUp

There is no competition, Intel, Samsung Global Foundries either don't have the capacity or are able to do 4-3nm nodes

Killjoy-NL

Yeah, but your implying 'inherently bad faith bias against', instead of 'indifference' which is more likely the case
No, I'm saying they are deliberately creating FUD, due to direct ties to MS, because there is actual proof of those ties.
. Like i'm inherently indifferent to both companies, I just like both platforms to put out great hardware so I benefit from it as a PC gamer with great content utilizing proper hardware.

Also, dit had volgens mij net zo goed in het Nederlands gekund, haha.
Your take is fair. I just don't believe DF doesn't push FUD in favor of MS, possibly even in coordination with MS.

En Nederlands zou inderdaad een stuk makkelijker zijn, maar dan kan bijna niemand het volgen. Lol

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Being a relic make me save money, these dudes can gladly fuck off with the shill.

And this moriarthy dude is supposed to be one of the good ones? :lollipop_squinting:

Thank you. I respect the dude but he is probably one of the worst Sony shills out there. Plus he is talking like the shit he is spouting to his fan base is a fact when it couldn't be further from the truth when discussing Sony and physical sales.

HL3.exe

No, I'm saying they are deliberately creating FUD, due to direct ties to MS, because there is actual proof of those ties.

Your take is fair. I just don't believe DF doesn't push FUD in favor of MS, possibly even in coordination with MS.

En Nederlands zou inderdaad een stuk makkelijker zijn, maar dan kan bijna niemand het volgen. Lol
Yeah, i'm not seeing it. I see equal "DF hates XBOX" memes on reddit. It's just basic trench warfare at this point, both sides blaming eachother with techsites like DF being in the middle. It's ok for DF to be wrong about predictions, I mean, who would have guessed MS would fuck up their API performance this bad. But it doesn't immediately show bad faith to the competitor product. The same can be said about NXGamer who is "clearly baised against PC" as some would say, but I see him objectively dissecting PC performance in his reviews, like I would too. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think this platform-warring is for children online. Folks that actually work in the field don't actually care, especially when you're in your 30's and above. You just want to see great content do well, and preferably seeing great content coming to all platforms so that everyone can enjoy it.

Last edited:
christoph waltz nod GIF
Both Sony and Nintendo tried to do both. Both failed. They are going again to strangle their "powerful" home console with the memory specs of a less powerful, here a handheld?

I could see many developers not even bothering developing on those consoles or with many delays. We are starting to see that now on Series consoles. In 2 years how many developers will still launch their games on Series consoles ?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But it actually does, but it's not exactly fault of Nvidia or Sony, is easy to look how much wafer cost in TSMC on current processing nodes. And it will be worse:
TSMC to Raise Wafer Prices by 10% in 2025, Customers Seemingly Agree | TechPowerUp

There is no competition, Intel, Samsung Global Foundries either don't have the capacity or are able to do 4-3nm nodes

True, but my point was that picking the most expensive data-point as the example for the entire spectrum is misrepresentative. There'll always be lower cost variants that are way more popular.

The thesis that the pricing of the Pro is generally representative of future console price-trends is just asinine, because its a minority-interest offer, an adjunct to a pre-existing platform line-up, and generally not subject to the same sort of market dynamics that a main ecosystem console is.

And this is completely disregarding all external economic forces, like inflation, component availability and wholesale pricing, etc.

M1chl

True, but my point was that picking the most expensive data-point as the example for the entire spectrum is misrepresentative. There'll always be lower cost variants that are way more popular.

The thesis that the pricing of the Pro is generally representative of future console price-trends is just asinine, because its a minority-interest offer, an adjunct to a pre-existing platform line-up, and generally not subject to the same sort of market dynamics that a main ecosystem console is.

And this is completely disregarding all external economic forces, like inflation, component availability and wholesale pricing, etc.
Yeah, but given how much back then was PS4 Pro, X1X, the trend will move upwards, mostly because of silicon cost. Does not mean there won't be Series S type of console, which much smaller chip, yes

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, but given how much back then was PS4 Pro, X1X, the trend will move upwards, mostly because of silicon cost. Does not mean there won't be Series S type of console, which much smaller chip, yes
Again, I point to the trending between PS3 and PS4, which even disregarding the initial "all bell's and whistles" versions, was basically flat or downwards when adjusting for 8 years worth of inflation.

tusharngf

Inflation plus tsmc price increase and no direct competition is the reason for this console. Sony has not given proper specs info like what node they are using. They are testing ground for ps6.

M1chl

Again, I point to the trending between PS3 and PS4, which even disregarding the initial "all bell's and whistles" versions, was basically flat or downwards when adjusting for 8 years worth of inflation.
That is true, but the problem is that somehow wafer now go up with the time, while it was previously on downward trend over time (in that PS3 - PS4 period). TSMC is simply lacking competition

GHG

Gold Member
You don't agree that the best value currently is the PS5 slim or perhaps even the PS5 digital?

I'd argue that is the XSS but since you can't process that we will leave it out of the value just for you.

I would love to know where, as you see it, is the value in a $700+ based on a Zen2 architecture from 5 years ago?

What's hilarious here is that you've claimed to be a "PC gamer" at many points in the past.

One of the key metrics that is looked at when determining whether or not a component is a good buy (or not) is the price to performance ratio. That is something that the Series S comes out worse off than any other current gen console (yes, it's still even worse than the PS5 Pro, and it's worse than the 2TB Series X).

Here's how things stack up when you take in to account the relative performance of all the current gen consoles based on today's prices:

Price per teraflop (yes, this is useless alone, but it gives you an indication of what you're getting for your money in terms of raw compute potential):

okKppdD.png

Price per frame using numbers from techpowerup and assuming a 37% increase in performance uplift from the PS5 to the PS5 pro:

FwFnmwx.png

So taking in to account real world performance and capability, the Series S has by far the worst value proposition, it's almost in a category of its own while all the other consoles are clustered in tight range together. An equivalent GPU release with that sort of value proposition would be getting hammered by the press and consumers alike. And this isn't taking in to account the low storage amount on the 512GB model or the gimped RAM configuation.

Taking everything in to account, the only way the Series S makes sense is if you need something that plays current gen games and you can only budget a maximum of $300 (and have no means or desire to save more money to put aside for gaming hardware).

Three

[DF] GPU vs PS4 comparisons less important than a bleak future for GPU pricing​

Oh wait, this title never happened at DF for some reason and they were pushing these expensive GPUs over cheaper alternatives.
images

GPU prices are in the shitter now and shot up by an additional $500 for the same class GPU. Meaning in the past you could buy a console and a GPU for the same price as a GPU today but you won't hear a peep from DF about how GPU prices got inflated to oblivion and that bleak future we're living in already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Det

Kokoloko85

I really feel like Sony is inviting Apple into a new expensive market segment.

Apple make Macbooks and Macs that cost more than someone building a PC or buying a ready made PC.

Sony isnt doing that, it would be cheaper to buy PS5 Pro console than a PC at the same specs or at least not way over

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Oh wait, this title never happened at DF for some reason and they were pushing these expensive GPUs over cheaper alternatives.
images

GPU prices are in the shitter now and shot up by an additional $500 for the same class GPU. Meaning in the past you could buy a console and a GPU for the same price as a GPU today but you won't hear a peep from DF about how GPU prices got inflated to oblivion and that bleak future we're living in already.
You're failing to take into account the "standard" nvidia gamer GPU now is the 60 series, taking up a position similar to the 70 series in the past. With 50 being the new "mid-low budget" laptop GPU that the 60 used to be. A 3060/4060 will run pretty much anything at high-ultra graphics and 30-60 fps depending on config, especially when you include frame generation and DLSS into the equation.

Last edited:

Felessan

Funny fact
When PS4 pro got out for 400$, 1080 was 600$ msrp
When ps5 pro gets out, 4080 is 1000$ msrp
It's clearly a time when console should be replaced by buying a gpu /s

Felessan

You're failing to take into account the "standard" nvidia gamer GPU now is the 60 series, taking up a position similar to the 70 series in the past. With 50 being the new "mid-low budget" laptop GPU that the 60 used to be. A 3060/4060 will run pretty much anything at high-ultra graphics and 30-60 fps depending on config, especially when you include frame generation and DLSS into the equation.
It's called shrinkflation or lowering your expectation
3060 is in ballpark of consoles performance (sans RT and AI for the time being), there are no reason to buy them for gaming only pc (consoles are cheaper), it's good only for "work and gaming" pc

Guilty_AI

It's called shrinkflation or lowering your expectation
3060 is in ballpark of consoles performance (sans RT and AI for the time being), there are no reason to buy them for gaming only pc (consoles are cheaper), it's good only for "work and gaming" pc
Interesting how you decided it was ok to ignore what's by far the 2 most meaningful aspects of this generation.

Without RT and all the AI reconstruction stuff, what's even left that matters? Even back in the middle of the ps4/one gen people were already complaining there was barely any point for the 1070+ cards.

Three

You're failing to take into account the "standard" nvidia gamer GPU now is the 60 series, taking up a position similar to the 70 series in the past. With 50 being the new "mid-low budget" laptop GPU that the 60 used to be.
Not really because the 1080 was considered the high end in the past at $599 too. Just because nvidia started making lower performing cards while charging the same as the higher tiers of the past doesn't mean GPU prices haven't skyrocketed.
A 3060/4060 will run pretty much anything at high-ultra graphics and 30-60 fps depending on config, especially when you include frame generation and DLSS into the equation.
How is framegen or DLSS/PSSR excluded from this equation when it comes to consoles? If a 3060 or 4060 can run anything you throw at it then a PS5 Pro can run it even better now with PSSR and framegen.

Del_X

Apple make Macbooks and Macs that cost more than someone building a PC or buying a ready made PC.

Sony isnt doing that, it would be cheaper to buy PS5 Pro console than a PC at the same specs or at least not way over

Not in the same form factor or power efficiency, no. And I say this as someone with an M3 mac and 4090 in my PC.

JackMcGunns

What is this logic that if you are going to spend over $400 then you might as well spend $1000? Hell, talk yourself all the way up to $3000 then.

I get what he's saying though, but before adding my 2 cents, let me say that I've been waiting for the Pro and will probably get it right away if (I'm able to get my hands on it) The price isn't an issue for me, I can afford it and also I can see the value, these things are not cheap to build now a days. It has a 2TB SSD, that is way more valuable to me than a BD Drive, but here's the rub, the conclusion is that it's supposed to be a machine for those who have an extensive library of Playstation games... guess what? PS gamers buy discs, so they will need to also purchase the drive, which combined with the stand is $800, so let's be real, the machine will cost you about $900 after the needed accessories and added taxes. Not everyone can afford it, and for the people who can, the question is, should I spend nearly $900 or buy a PC which I can also afford?

Back to the point, the logic is, if you're already willing and able to spend that kind of money, it opens up the question to whether you should having the money for other options. Let me explain, I like car analogies, so I will use the very expensive Toyoya (Console) vs buying a Porche 911 (PC). If Toyoya soups up a car and it inflates the price to the same range as someone who can afford an entry Porshe 911, that person will likely choose a Porshe 911. $800 is dangerously close to PC territory.

Guilty_AI

Not really because the 1080 was considered the high end in the past at $599 too. Just because nvidia started making lower performing cards while charging the same as the higher tiers of the past doesn't mean GPU prices haven't skyrocketed.
They're not lower performing though, far from it. I feel people in this forum live in a bubble where anything below a 3070 has to run everything on medium-low settings at 30 fps. Also, the 1080 wasn't the ceiling back then, we also had the 1080 ti ($700), the Titan X ($1000), the Titan Xp ($1200), and even the Titan V (whooping $3000). And i know for a fact there were enough people buying Titan series for gaming.

How is framegen or DLSS/PSSR excluded from this equation when it comes to consoles? If a 3060 or 4060 can run anything you throw at it then a PS5 Pro can run it even better now with PSSR and framegen.
Why are you even bringing ps5 up when your post was talking about GPUs? Besides, we need to wait for these to actually come out before discussing, there is a world of difference between FSR and DLSS and we still don't know how Sony's tech will hold up against the others.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Being a relic make me save money, these dudes can gladly fuck off with the shill.

And this moriarthy dude is supposed to be one of the good ones? :lollipop_squinting:

Haven't you heard? Saving money is for old people, and squares.

Emptying your bank account in the the convenience of your home to feel blanketed by a list of stuff you don't own is the new hotness.

Topher

Gold Member
I get what he's saying though, but before adding my 2 cents, let me say that I've been waiting for the Pro and will probably get it right away if (I'm able to get my hands on it) The price isn't an issue for me, I can afford it and also I can see the value, these things are not cheap to build now a days. It has a 2TB SSD, that is way more valuable to me than a BD Drive, but here's the rub, the conclusion is that it's supposed to be a machine for those who have an extensive library of Playstation games... guess what? PS gamers buy discs, so they will need to also purchase the drive, which combined with the stand is $800, so let's be real, the machine will cost you about $900 after the needed accessories and added taxes. Not everyone can afford it, and for the people who can, the question is, should I spend nearly $900 or buy a PC which I can also afford?

Back to the point, the logic is, if you're already willing and able to spend that kind of money, it opens up the question to whether you should having the money for other options. Let me explain, I like car analogies, so I will use the very expensive Toyoya (Console) vs buying a Porche 911 (PC). If Toyoya soups up a car and it inflates the price to the same range as someone who can afford an entry Porshe 911, that person will likely choose a Porshe 911. $800 is dangerously close to PC territory.

The other options should still be aligned with what you are trying to do. As I've reiterated a number of times, PC is not always a viable alternative. Most people don't want a PC in their living room. To use your car analogy, doesn't matter how much that Porsche costs if you are looking for a truck. So "dangerously close" can still be light years away depending on the use case. Now if someone is looking for a gaming rig in their home office then comparing PC prices makes a lot more sense. The problem is isolating price and ignoring all other factors. I've been making that case when it comes to PC and consoles long before anyone ever knew PS5 Pro was going to be a thing.

But even if we do only look at price, as I said, folks can come up with whatever rationale they want. If I'm not getting a better gaming experience at $1000+ (btw, taxes apply to PCs as well) than I am at $700/780 then why pay more? The "might as well get a PC" logic simply falls short if all we are looking at is price.

Last edited:

Three

They're not lower performing though, far from it. I feel people in this forum live in a bubble where anything below a 3070 has to run everything on medium-low settings at 30 fps. Also, the 1080 wasn't the ceiling back then, we also had the 1080 ti ($700), the Titan X ($1000), the Titan Xp ($1200), and even the Titan V (whooping $3000). And i know for a fact there were enough people buying Titan series for gaming.
We have had TIs since the geforce 4 (not 4000 series) and recently introduced Supers. That has nothing to do with the fact that the GTX 1080 was the flagship series. The titans were just a taste of how much they can extract from the whales. The 60 series is shrinkflation at its finest. To the point where they do the supermarket tactic of giving you less at the same price stealthly. They did this with the 3060/4060 RAM variants too. Quietly lowered it (resulting in big performance drops) but kept the same price.
Why are you even bringing ps5 up when your post was talking about GPUs? Besides, we need to wait for these to actually come out before discussing, there is a world of difference between FSR and DLSS and we still don't know how Sony's tech will hold up against the others.
Because I'm making the connection between a higher end console and a higher end GPU and how GPU prices have skyrocketed even worse without a peep from DF about the bleak pricing future of GPUs we're already living in now. Instead they were pushing spending on those expensive cards that were going up and up in price. To the point where a flagship series card costs 3x as much as it did in the past.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Lee Daniels Television GIF

There there, snookums. I know the burning ship has you a little overly emotional.
Shying away from the question? Is shilling for Sony your job? Like I said, you’re gone for nearly 3 months, then your precious Sony starts getting attacked for its price tag of the PS5 Pro, then you magically reappear. Seems like you’re the one that couldn’t handle their emotions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Shying away from the question? Is shilling for Sony your job? Like I said, you’re gone for nearly 3 months, then your precious Sony starts getting attacked for its price tag of the PS5 Pro, then you magically reappear. Seems like you’re the one that couldn’t handle their emotions.
Bro, relax with your lame creepy stalker vibes.

If you must ask, Topher Topher shot me a text asking me where I've been. Real life has needs. Racing season starts, and I am heavily involved with that. He mentioned that a few were asking where I've been and that the Pro news was dropping so I figured there is some semblance of gaming interest when it comes to advancements in hardware tech in the sea of gaming mediocrity in arguably the worst modern software gen ever (minus Elden Ring and a very very few outliers).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Damn man......you serious with this?

Felessan

Interesting how you decided it was ok to ignore what's by far the 2 most meaningful aspects of this generation.

Without RT and all the AI reconstruction stuff, what's even left that matters? Even back in the middle of the ps4/one gen people were already complaining there was barely any point for the 1070+ cards.
It's ok to ignore them when we are talking about future at reasonable depth
Because algo gap will be closed like this fall and power shrinkflation gap will stay.
When true nextgen arrive ratio will be the same - next ps/box vs whatever **60 card, but there will be no significant algo advantages anymore

The point of 1080+ cards is that you can get IQ that significantly better than console counterpart. It's expensive but it gives result. Overpaying for **60 card to get the same result as in (base) consoles not really meaningfull way of spending money

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Damn man......you serious with this?
It was a simple question. Took me like 30 seconds to look at a post history. It’s not like you’ve never looked at someone’s post history to see a history of fandom. I’m not harping on it. It was a total of two posts. Three if you include this response to you.

Zathalus

images

Won’t hear a peep you say?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was a simple question. Took me like 30 seconds to look at a post history. It’s not like you’ve never looked at someone’s post history to see a history of fandom. I’m not harping on it. It was a total of two posts. Three if you include this response to you.
Check my post history, baby!
sexy la tortura GIF

Topher

Gold Member

I took the first one as a joke because....it just had to be. Didn't expect you to double down on it. But yeah, if I look at someone's post history then I'm lookin at what they actually post. This attempt at a "shill gotcha" was just lame my man. Do better.

hinch7

Funny fact
When PS4 pro got out for 400$, 1080 was 600$ msrp
When ps5 pro gets out, 4080 is 1000$ msrp
It's clearly a time when console should be replaced by buying a gpu /s
To be fair we have yet to see AMD's next generation graphics cards that are aimed towards to mid-range and lower mid-range. Then theres Nvidia's entry level Blackwell GPU's, next year. That are more in line to compete in value verses the PS5 Pro.

Nvidia GPU's are overpriced rn or lacking in uplift in the lower end SKU's and AMD doesn't currently have any cards that have parity with equivelant feature sets.

Last edited:

Three

They were pushing the more expensive $1600 GPU in that article as the better alternative though.

to the point where there are data points to suggest that the $1599 RTX 4090 actually offers a better deal (than the 4080).
In the table below, you'll see how the RTX 4080 compares to its flagship partner and it's fair to say that the cutbacks are big - wider and deeper than the specs differential we saw between RTX 3090 and RTX 3080. You're getting around 59 percent of the compute power, 73 percent of the memory bandwidth and two thirds of the VRAM. And yet, you're paying 74 percent of the cost price of the flagship so realistically you should be expecting at least 74 percent of the RTX 4090's performance. Ideally it should be a lot more, as users expect a better price vs performance ratio the cheaper the product gets.

They were more concerned about the price vs performance of that particular 80 series card (this was Nvidias shrinkflation at play of making a lower series underperform but charging more). This is different to making the case that GPU prices were getting out of hand in general. The latter would have been bad for PC gaming and nvidia. What they did there though is push people to a $1600 4090 as the better alternative.

They were pushing Titan X at 25% faster rendering for $500 more than the flagship GTX1080 (which was $600) too.
If you did the same price vs performance with a PS5 Pro then it would be pretty good for Pro with 45% but they're pushing the "consoles future pricing is bleak". never once complained about the bleak state of GPU pricing today though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Det

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bro, relax with your lame creepy stalker vibes.

If you must ask, Topher Topher shot me a text asking me where I've been. Real life has needs. Racing season starts, and I am heavily involved with that. He mentioned that a few were asking where I've been and that the Pro news was dropping so I figured there is some semblance of gaming interest when it comes to advancements in hardware tech in the sea of gaming mediocrity in arguably the worst modern software gen ever (minus Elden Ring and a very very few outliers).
i dont mind anyone taking a break from this awful excuse for a generation. this summer was so bad i was forced to play mlb the show. not once but twice. (not a bad game btw)

of course people come back when there is new news to discuss. what a crazy accusation from FoxMcChief lmao.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yeah, one good thing about PC reviews these past few years is that they have been very vocal about nvidia's price gouging. The reviews for the super series were especially brutal. most recently, nvidia downgraded the 4070 ram speeds and that caused quite a commotion.

Regardless, PC gamers and PC reviewers have all held Nvidia to task and that led directly a price drop for the 4080 last year. Or was it this year? This doesnt always work because nvidia is more profitable than ever before, but I like that the pc space doesnt bend over just because they are PC fanboys. AMD and Intel also get routinely trashed for poor hardware performance.

One thing ive always liked about the PS fanbase was that they were never afraid to call out Jimbo, and other Sony execs making stupid moves. So its disappointing to see so many here defend this ridiculous price. But thankfully the overall consensus in the media and in the gaming community on youtube, twitter and reddit is that this thing is way too overpriced and hopefully sony will pivot once they see the poor sales like they did for PSVR2 when they dropped the price by $200 a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom