• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is getting significant updates on Steam backend, F2P relaunch likely - Luke Sephens (Insider Gaming)

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Even if is a f2p, it will get attention?

Remember that Palladins was also f2p, and since Overwatch looked better, even if both are different games, Blizzard took the prize with no effort

Sgt.Asher

Concord has so many problems there is no point to this. Character design, hero shooter, and the gameplay wasn't good( okay at best). Getting that out of the way. If the gameplay was good those who played the beta would have come back. Yet release had about half of the already abysmal beta numbers.
Only the die hards are saying it was good, like that one dude saying forspoken was good

Last edited:

WoJ

This is a terrible idea. The game is such a damaged property at this point you aren't going to be able to re-release it. People already assume it's slop and have moved on.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Remember that Palladins was also f2p, and since Overwatch looked better, even if both are different games, Blizzard took the prize with no effort
Paladins still exists though. A better comparison would be Battleborn or Lawbreakers.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Even during the free open beta it maxed out at 2000-something concurrent players on Steam. Fucking NOBODY wants this game regardless of the cost.

If I had to take a guess, I’d say Sony has Firewalk continuing tonupdate the game to prepare for F2P, but they haven’t made a decision yet whether they’ll actually go ahead with the relaunch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even during the free open beta it maxed out at 2000-something concurrent players on Steam. Fucking NOBODY wants this game regardless of the cost.

If I had to take a guess, I’d say Sony has Firewalk continuing tonupdate the game to prepare for F2P, but they haven’t made a decision yet whether they’ll actually go ahead with the relaunch.
It's been 5 weeks since the game was canned. There is no way Sony is keeping 150 people on the payroll for over a month with nothing to do. I think what's happened is this. All under NDA because it looks bad if they all yap on Linkedin or Twitter.

1. Some people fired
2. Some people transferred to other studios
3. Some people working on F2P

Once it gets announced F2P, then all the news will come out what's happened.

Last edited:
Interesting. If it does return, while I don't think they would 100% change the character designs, some alterations would definitely help. That plus making it F2P and on every platform might just help.
They need to change the name too...

Last edited:

rm082e

It sure seems like bringing this back will have everyone meme-dunking on it. It makes me wonder what the reputational hit to their brand will be, and is it really worth it?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As I said at the time, the only reason to pull it so fast was because they were going to pivot to a plan B.

Interesting to see what they decide on as this plan B though...

F2P and not changing the creative seems like the "cheap" option, as changing the creative would take longer and involve eating the cost of the re-design. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they are also preparing to do that also* - thinking about it a rapid relaunch at F2P could simply be a means to staunch the bleeding wound it will have left in this year's financials, with a proper do-over further down the line.

*Objectively I don't recall too many people complaining about the tech, and let's be honest these hero shooter things are pretty fucking interchangeable mechanically.

Great. Whatever happens, we will have thousands more hours worthy of youtubers documentaries and threads about it.

I don't play games no more, I just watch and read about them

Last edited:

Akuji

Care to name another one?

Im struggling to think of one. Nothing high profile anyways.
Every MMORPG that wanted to kill WoW when MMOs were big for example.
First failed at being a subscription model, then failed to be a free 2 play alternative.

There are like 5 very big ones in that genre alone.
Warhammer, Star Wars, LotRo, Wildstars, Conan, etc.

clarky

Gold Member
Every MMORPG that wanted to kill WoW when MMOs were big for example.
First failed at being a subscription model, then failed to be a free 2 play alternative.

There are like 5 very big ones in that genre alone.
Warhammer, Star Wars, LotRo, Wildstars, Conan, etc.
Im not super familiar(if at all) with any of those. But i suppose a lot took a crack at WOW and failed i suppose now i think about it

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I have never seen a game completely fail twice. First time for everything.
Why stop at twice? I hope they relaunch it 3, 4 times, maybe even more. The sky is the limit.

Come on Sony, ya spent $400 million already, don’t let that go to waste. If you flush enough money down the toilet then eventually gamers will realize they wanted Concord all along.

Majukun

it was basically a certainty that they would have at least tried to salvage the project, too much stuff to just throw it away, especially with that netflix series basing an episode on the franchise

still not sure they are gonna be able to go through with it though, the game's price was only one of the issues of the game

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game has been dead for 5 weeks. I dont know how much money it takes to float FW Studios with zero revenue coming in. But that F2P model better be a giant money maker. Already sunk in $100s of million, zero sales except maybe a couple hundred or thousand collectors discs, and now add in another 5 weeks of overhead.

Hermen Hulst going out with a bang.

He's the kind of guy at the blackjack table down to his last $20 and he'll split a pair 10s. Balls deep. All or nothing.

Last edited:

simpatico

Why are these Concord people so obsessed with backends? It just never stops. I can't believe Sony is letting Herman spend half a billi on this shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom