• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord Registers 1100 players on First Day of Open Beta (Steam)

The thing is, without the DEI stuff the game would be average at best. A decent gameplay with good graphics but a bland art style. That wouldn't be enough to make it fly. The horrendous characters push it over the edge. A game like Spiderman 2 has a lot of woke stuff but it's still very good at what matters to most players.

Concord is an ok game smeared by bad artistic decisions.

Zathalus

Not really the type of preorders you want for a GaaS game. If they don’t get that critical mass then the game will be dead in a year or two.

simpatico

Gold Member
Then again, imagine being unable to enjoy a game because some characters is a black gay female who uses pronouns.

There's a lot that can be said about the Woke vibe of Concord, but at some point you have to grow up and look past that.

It gets even worse because there already is a lot of backlash irt Sony investing more into guys.

Concord is basically a lot of spoiled gamers worst nightmare and the childish rants are becoming pathetic, tbh.
That's a lot of cope to say "I still want to like muh AAA shiny stuff"

GHG

Gold Member
lol, as usual a lot of folks gonna be eating crow when the game does just fine at launch. It doesn't have to pull Helldivers 2 numbers to be a success and from what I've played so far it's got a solid enough foundation for a fun experience.

It's good to have dreams.

It will be F2P within a year, and dead within 2.

DAHGAMING

Or SOCOM

People will vote with their wallets, this will be a swing and a miss

Just amazing really this was green lit to begin with

Resistance > Killzone anyway

I love all 3 series Socom, Resistance and Killzone, I have bangged on about them many times but I would take any of them right now or a new gritty shooter series even.

I am probably wishfull thinking here but Im just hopeing this era of failed, goofball, colourfull woke GAAS games sends gaming in a different direction soon and fingers crossed its back to a more traditional grounded multiplayer experiance.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The thing is, without the DEI stuff the game would be average at best. A decent gameplay with good graphics but a bland art style. That wouldn't be enough to make it fly. The horrendous characters push it over the edge. A game like Spiderman 2 has a lot of woke stuff but it's still very good at what matters to most players.
Why do you think Valorant is the 21'st most played game on XBox despite being a closed beta? What do you feel are it's gameplay strengths?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
8wyuta.jpg

Bojji

It depends.

It’s good for us PlayStation fans to see this game fail miserably, but it’s bad for PlayStation’s gaas initiative.

They need to feel this fail to change their mind.

Finally start making good SP games for PS5, so far there is not much...

Killjoy-NL

As said previously I will not be baited into discussing this here by the likes of you.
Then why did you respond to me in the first place?

Fine if you don't want to admit you are just the same as the Woke crowd, but it's just the reality of it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Because I responded to other aspects of your post while tip-toeing around an explosive debate I do not wish to spark on this forum. This is obvious to anyone with a brain but keep up your prime directive of being a killjoy attempting to get under people's skin on a game forum.

Edit: Your edit proves my point brilliantly thanks for that lol

I started this by saying my take is to simply not play games that I think are dumb and not discuss it with friends.

But your take on the "woke crowd" is being too confrontational.

I think a better definition for this crowd is people you don't like who you want to annoy using bad faith argument tactics.

Edit again: Oh he removed the edit. Keep backpedaling!

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Because I responded to other aspects of your post while tip-toeing around an explosive debate I do not wish to spark on this forum. This is obvious to anyone with a brain but keep up your prime directive of being a killjoy attempting to get under people's skin on a game forum.
Because I don't hop on the hate band-wagon?

You even get triggered by my username. Says a lot, really.
Like I said, just like the Woke and Cancel movements.

BlackTron

Because I don't hop on the hate band-wagon?

You even get triggered by my username. Says a lot, really.
Like I said, just like the Woke and Cancel movements.

In order to get triggered by your username, I would need to see your username and be upset over it in a vacuum.

I just noticed the correlation between your name and your behavior. TRIGGERED! This is exactly the type of nonsense I'm talking about.

Next you will say that I am too confrontational and trigger easily because I swatted away all your gaslighting bullshit.

vivftp

It's good to have dreams.

It will be F2P within a year, and dead within 2.

I will choose to disagree.

Now what?

None of us really knows what will happen. We're still more than a month away from launch, the open beta's next week and the marketing cycle with advertisements and whatnot probably won't start for another 3 weeks or so. Knowing SIE, they'll have a hefty marketing push and a lot of folks who haven't even heard of Concord yet will be learning about it for the first time through those ads.

It's got a solid foundation as far as being a shooter goes and has some top notch production values. Add on SIEs marketing strength and it's got as good a chance as any other new IP. I'd like it more if the movement was a bit closer to Destiny while playing Crucible, but it's not so bad as it is. Curious to see how things play out.

Killjoy-NL

In order to get triggered by your username, I would need to see your username and be upset over it in a vacuum.

I just noticed the correlation between your name and your behavior. TRIGGERED! This is exactly the type of nonsense I'm talking about.

Next you will say that I am too confrontational and trigger easily because I swatted away all your gaslighting bullshit.
Just like how I see similarities between people like you and Woke.
Two sides of the same coin.

Not saying some of the pushback against the Woke agenda of Concord isn't warranted, but it has become pathetic.

vivftp

They need to feel this fail to change their mind.

Finally start making good SP games for PS5, so far there is not much...

It's dumbass, ignorant comments like this that I never get. There's plenty of single player games for PS5 and an avalanche more coming in the second half of the gen. The existence of these dozen or so live service games have some insecure folks clutching their pearls like Sony just shot their beloved family pet or something.

It's a clueless, moronic, insecure, elitist, petty, dickhead way of thinking that SIE shouldn't be allowed to expand their horizons into the live service space. That idiocy needs to be stomped the fuck out.

BlackTron

Just like how I see similarities between people like you and Woke.

Maybe you should have stood behind that opinion instead of editing it out of your post. The fact that you are repeating it after saying it in a way that revealed the logical fallacy that needed to be covered up "speaks volumes."

Fbh

Gold Member
Did PC players who pre ordered also get a bunch of invites for their friends? Or was that offer only for Playstation?

Concord at #80 on the top sellers list and the Last Descendant sitting at #1. Go woke go broke. Shame because the game itself seems perfectly competent and probably would’ve done just fine if they didn’t make the most “for modern audiences” game ever.

Back when this was announced a lot of people were saying the character designs are irrelevant because the only thing that matters is gameplay.
But I disagree, I think when you are making a character based game (be it a hero shooter, Moba or fighting game), having compelling characters is really important. If the people watching your reveal trailer can't instantly find 1-2 characters they like and want to play as just based on design alone, I think you are going to have an uphill battle.

I remember when Overwatch was first shown lots of people were already discussing their favourite characters based on that 1 CG trailer alone. It didn't take long for fanart (of the regular and R34 kind, lol) to show up, people using these characters as their avatar, bootleg merch, etc. Same for League of Legends, Dota and basically any fighting game of any relevance.

Do we really think the same will happen with these?
Concord-Freegunners-character-weapon-ability.jpg

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Edit: Your edit proves my point brilliantly thanks for that lol

I started this by saying my take is to simply not play games that I think are dumb and not discuss it with friends.

But your take on the "woke crowd" is being too confrontational.

I think a better definition for this crowd is people you don't like who you want to annoy using bad faith argument tactics.

Edit again: Oh he removed the edit. Keep backpedaling!
Wtf are you talking about?

The only edit was me adding that you are the same as the Woke crowds.

I'm not backpedaling on anything at all.
In fact, you are proving yourself to be like them even more.

Fabieter

Funny that I actually paid for CSS and CSGO. Also why is Concord a rip-off?

Users who had purchased the csgo prior to this update were automatically updated to "Prime" status and given modes that can drop cosmetic items. It was like 13 bucks to begin with.

You can still play css to this day and that will hardly change

It has written f2p all over it. They are just too greedy for not allowing non ps+ subs to join in and they want to cash in on fomo for a game which should be f2p in the first place.

Vlodril

Having only seen streams the gameplay looks pretty decent but all the character designs are atrocious. Not sure how they thought these are cool looking characters..

KXVXII9X

Exactly. Many of these people want 24/7 recognition or else everyone is homophobic or transphobic. Clown World personified.
"These people." I'm black and gay and I don't always need representation although it is nice when it is available. I have no problem with playing people different than me and have for decades. I also have things further up on my priority in in what gives me enjoyment of a game. Don't speak for people you have little to no experience with and overgeneralize them.

I have fun with many discussions here but for a place that isn't meant to be political, it can't be political enough. I wish some people here would cut the hypocritical bs and just talk about games. I couldn't imagine something like the Backyard Sports games from Humongous Entertainment coming out today. That would be called "woke" too, even though it was enjoyed by many various people.

Bojji

It's dumbass, ignorant comments like this that I never get. There's plenty of single player games for PS5 and an avalanche more coming in the second half of the gen. The existence of these dozen or so live service games have some insecure folks clutching their pearls like Sony just shot their beloved family pet or something.

It's a clueless, moronic, insecure, elitist, petty, dickhead way of thinking that SIE shouldn't be allowed to expand their horizons into the live service space. That idiocy needs to be stomped the fuck out.

LOL, play your life service games if you like them.

Most sony fans want their SP 90+ metacritic titles that brand is known for and there are just few of them 4 years into the generation. This is the weakest gen for Sony when it comes to quality and quantity of their own games.

You think they have unlimited budged or something? Life service bullshit experiments take a lot of money that could have been spent on SP games. Fuck that.

vivftp

It has written f2p all over it. They are just too greedy for not allowing non ps+ subs to join in and they want to cash in on fomo for a game which should be f2p in the first place.

This weekends beta was only meant for folks who pre-ordered and the invite codes those folks received for others to play. PS+ subscribers were added at the last moment. The open beta for everyone is next weekend. So why exactly are they greedy for that?

What, they're greedy for wanting to charge upfront for a product they've spent several years and many millions of dollars to produce? That doesn't make a company inherently greedy, it just means that they don't have to push monetization as heavily within the game, similar to how they've handled Helldivers 2. Now if they charged up front and heavily pushed predatory monetization schemes, then we could put that into the "greedy" category.

ByWatterson

Maybe don't just do a blatant ripoff of Guardians of the Galaxy and stuff it with awful character designs, contemporary language policing, and just a massive array of cues that tells the ostensible target audience this isn't for them.

Fabieter

This weekends beta was only meant for folks who pre-ordered and the invite codes those folks received for others to play. PS+ subscribers were added at the last moment. The open beta for everyone is next weekend. So why exactly are they greedy for that?

What, they're greedy for wanting to charge upfront for a product they've spent several years and many millions of dollars to produce? That doesn't make a company inherently greedy, it just means that they don't have to push monetization as heavily within the game, similar to how they've handled Helldivers 2. Now if they charged up front and heavily pushed predatory monetization schemes, then we could put that into the "greedy" category.

No I bet the only reason the charge for this product that they can require ps+ at release. All f2p games don't require ps+. That's greed for me.

and its also greedy because the competition is providing similar products for no upfront costs. And it's doubtful that this game won't be filled with mtx to the roof.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Wtf are you talking about?

The only edit was me adding that you are the same as the Woke crowds.

I'm not backpedaling on anything at all.
In fact, you are proving yourself to be like them even more.

All I can say is Wow about a person willing to lie this blatantly.

I guess saving face is a helluva drug. Saw a lot of it from the prosecutor at Baldwin's trial yesterday. Does things to people man.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Fine if you don't want to admit you are just the same as the Woke crowd, but it's just the reality of it.
Not exactly. The woke crowd got upset due to market realities. The demographics of gaming made it so companies catering to their audience were somehow immoral.

Concord is appealing to an ideology over demographics. How many 75 year old Asian ladies do you think are playing Concord? There's a character for them.

There's some creepy people working over at Firewalk.

sendit

Wow. This game looks to inspire a new generation of shooters. Lively characters, familiar shooting mechanics, and red outline of characters depicting an enemy. I can go on, but why should I? Try it for yourself next week.

Killjoy-NL

Not exactly. The woke crowd got upset due to market realities. The demographics of gaming made it so companies catering to their audience were somehow immoral.

Concord is appealing to an ideology over demographics. How many 75 year old Asian ladies do you think are playing Concord? There's a character for them.

There's some creepy people working over at Firewalk.
It all came down to "omfg not enough white guys".
Anti-Woke really is just the same thing, just crying about the opposite.

All I can say is Wow about a person willing to lie this blatantly.

I guess saving face is a helluva drug. Saw a lot of it from the prosecutor at Baldwin's trial yesterday. Does things to people man.
Lol I don't backtrack on anything, especially not on Gaf.

Not sure what you think I was saying if I changed anything, but I 100% see you anti-Woke as the same thing as Woke.

Top Bottom