• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord Registers 1100 players on First Day of Open Beta (Steam)

KXVXII9X

No I bet the only reason the charge for this product that they can require ps+ at release. All f2p games don't require ps+. That's greed for me.

and its also greedy because the competition is providing similar products for no upfront costs. And it's doubtful that this game won't be filled with mtx to the roof.
I was wondering the same thing about the PS+ requirement and thinking it is really scummy make a live service game $40 on top of paying for online that doesn't seem to offer more than the F2P competition like Marvel Rivals that has destruction and a more interesting art style.

vivftp

LOL, play your life service games if you like them.

Most sony fans want their SP 90+ metacritic titles that brand is known for and there are just few of them 4 years into the generation. This is the weakest gen for Sony when it comes to quality and quantity of their own games.

You think they have unlimited budged or something? Life service bullshit experiments take a lot of money that could have been spent on SP games. Fuck that.

You do realize that the most played games on PlayStation are all live service games, right? PlayStation gamers heavily skew towards live service and Sony wants some of those gamers to be playing their own published games rather than only third party titles.

Since this gen began for SIE published single player games I've bought/played:

Astro's Playroom
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Returnal
The Last of Us Part 1
Horizon Forbidden West + Burning Shores DLC
Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut with the Iki Island expansion
Death Stranding Directors Cut with its added content
God of War Ragnarok & the Valhalla DLC
Gran Turismo 7 & its VR mode
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered

plus console exclusive stuff like Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade and Final Fantasy 16. Soon I'll be adding Astro Bot to that list.

There's been ample for the single player gamer to enjoy so far this gen. If you want to complain that there should have been more then go yell at the Coronavirus for causing a global pandemic that pushed game dev back 1-2 years for most titles.

No, they do not have an unlimited budget, what they do have is an INCREASED budget where the money for the live service games was added ON TOP of what they've been spending on their single player games. Sony has outright told us this on more than one occasion. Absolutely nothing was taken away from the single player gamer as a part of this initiative, they're still making just as many single player games as they ever have, if not more.

Unlike some elitist folks, I also enjoy playing live service games because I find value in them. Don't get me wrong, if live service games aren't for you then that's fine and I have no beef with you. It's the assholes who actively fight against the live service games who can go fuck off into the sun just because they're whiny babies who can't stand that something isn't being made for their specific tastes. I've been playing Destiny for 10 years now with several thousand hours invested, have greatly enjoyed Helldivers 2 with over 300 hours invested, played The Division 1 & 2 for hundreds of hours each and got a couple hundred hours into Avengers. Different strokes for different folks, but the folks who actively fight for and wish for the death of this live service initiative are clueless assholes as far as I'm concerned.

Sony's done a good job this first half of the gen delivering games in spite of the difficulties posed by the pandemic. That's over with now and the sheer quantity of games they've got for the second half of this gen is outright scary. The single player gamers will be drowning in games so they have no cause for concern, so let the live service gamers enjoy some of this gooey goodness too.

This doesn't even get into the whole aspect of things where those 90+ MC AAA blockbusters are costing more than ever, and SIE's looking for ways to bring in additional revenue to let them continue to run a strong and healthy business - live service games are one of those ways. The person who plays nothing but single player blockbusters should be HOPING for the live service push to succeed as that will infuse a massive amount of extra cash into SIE so they can continue to invest into more single player blockbusters with fewer compromises. But nope, the shortsighted hate-boner that some folks have for live service games can't let them see that.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It all came down to "omfg not enough white guys".
Anti-Woke really is just the same thing, just crying about the opposite.
I don't think it is.

One side is saying "Why are these companies making products for their audience?"

The other side is saying "Why are these companies making products for some unhealthy ideology?"

Sure, both can be annoying but there's obviously a clear difference.

BlackTron

As long as people like you fail to see that you are the same, there won't be an end to Woke.

Your doubling down on this is fantastic.

Keep going.

You don't know for sure that your post pre-edit isn't cached somewhere in the 25 tabs with back buttons on my computer. I just don't have time now because I'm on my way out of the house to see friends to not discuss woke with (I save it just for you).

So I will leave my browser open for when I get home later. We both just may get lucky and increase the entertainment value of every following post 100 fold, for free.

vivftp

No I bet the only reason the charge for this product that they can require ps+ at release. All f2p games don't require ps+. That's greed for me.

and its also greedy because the competition is providing similar products for no upfront costs. And it's doubtful that this game won't be filled with mtx to the roof.

We already know that all future characters, maps and game modes will be free to folks who own the game. Beyond that what's left other than cosmetic items to have mtx for? We already have an example of a SIE published live service game at a similar price point that doesn't contain predatory monetization with Helldivers 2 and Concord seems to be following that same model.

As for your theory about their greed, so they're also greedy for charging for Helldivers 2? For MLB? For Destiny 2 expansions? I don't think you understand what greed is. Charging a fair price for something that you've spent years and millions of dollars on is not greed. In the end the market will decide how good that value proposition is, but there is nothing inherently greedy with charging for a product.

Killjoy-NL

I don't think it is.

One side is saying "Why are these companies making products for their audience?"

The other side is saying "Why are these companies making products for some unhealthy ideology?"

Sure, both can be annoying but there's obviously a clear difference.
The latter results in the former, just on the opposite end.

In this thread alone there is already whining about it (and for the record, I think both sides are dumb af):

Your doubling down on this is fantastic.

Keep going.

You don't know for sure that your post pre-edit isn't cached somewhere in the 25 tabs with back buttons on my computer. I just don't have time now because I'm on my way out of the house to see friends to not discuss woke with (I save it just for you).

So I will leave my browser open for when I get home later. We both just may get lucky and increase the entertainment value of every following post 100 fold, for free.
You do that.
Me doubling down is because I look at both sides the same way.
So not even sure what the hell you're talking about with the edit.

Fabieter

We already know that all future characters, maps and game modes will be free to folks who own the game. Beyond that what's left other than cosmetic items to have mtx for? We already have an example of a SIE published live service game at a similar price point that doesn't contain predatory monetization with Helldivers 2 and Concord seems to be following that same model.

As for your theory about their greed, so they're also greedy for charging for Helldivers 2? For MLB? For Destiny 2 expansions? I don't think you understand what greed is. Charging a fair price for something that you've spent years and millions of dollars on is not greed. In the end the market will decide how good that value proposition is, but there is nothing inherently greedy with charging for a product.

Yes i would expect to have all modes, characters and maps in a f2p game too. Are yoh srsly arguing that you cant be greed because you invest alot of money. Big pharma and military industrial complex cant be geeedy because they invest billions every year. Let them charge whatever. What?

vivftp

Yes i would expect to have all modes, characters and maps in a f2p game too. Are yoh srsly arguing that you cant be greed because you invest alot of money. Big pharma and military industrial complex cant be geeedy because they invest billions every year. Let them charge whatever. What?

Who said anything about charging whatever? It's a reduced price game. In a world where a full priced AAA game releases at $70 USD, games like Concord and Helldivers 2 cost $40 USD. I would personally call that a fair price based on how much I've played Helldivers 2 and what little I've played of Concord so far, but like I said the market decides what's going to be successful.

Thinking that every company HAS to give away their games for free otherwise they're greedy is some next level entitlement bullshit.

Fabieter

Who said anything about charging whatever? It's a reduced price game. In a world where a full priced AAA game releases at $70 USD, games like Concord and Helldivers 2 cost $40 USD. I would personally call that a fair price based on how much I've played Helldivers 2 and what little I've played of Concord so far, but like I said the market decides what's going to be successful.

Thinking that every company HAS to give away their games for free otherwise they're greedy is some next level entitlement bullshit.

No one said anything about all their games, but games like concord shouldn't costs money upfront. It has so many redflags that its the only way for them to have successfully launch this game.

vivftp

No one said anything about all their games, but games like concord shouldn't costs money upfront. It has so many redflags that its the only way for them to have successfully launch this game.

Like I said, the market will decide. Sony obviously didn't go into this live service endeavor thinking that every single game was going to be a smash hit, they're not that ignorant. They wouldn't have even gone into it thinking that every game would cross the finish line, it's just the nature of video games that some games that're started don't launch. Starting off with a base price for Concord leaves them extra wiggle room should the game not meet expectations. It can be given away on PS+ and can still move to a F2P model down the road if need be. What Sony does have is evidence that the $40 USD price point is one that many millions of gamers are willing to pay for a quality, fun, live service title. There's plenty of folks who've enjoyed what Concord has to offer so far out of this closed beta, we'll see how that evolves once they move into the open beta and then the marketing push leading up to launch.

We know SIEs projections for Helldivers 2 were nowhere NEAR what the game actually achieved, they were anticipating far, far, FAR lower actual numbers, and that was a sequel to an existing franchise that had already found its niche audience. Concord's a brand new IP and we don't know what projections they've got for it either at launch or long term. Quantifying what's a "success" is hard. Is it 50k players? 100k? 500k? 1 million? I have no clue what the threshold to success is and I don't think anyone here does either. Charging up front does at least put less pressure on them for having to pull in revenue via mtx. For every person who buys the game at $40 USD, how many others would have had to buy mtx if it were F2P to match that $40? I just don't see that F2P HAS to be the only way this works, I think there's more than one way to skin a cat here.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Is that good or bad?
87c0e9ed-a939-4473-87ce-1c7cf021b9b8_text.gif

DrFigs

according to who? because you don't like the game, it should be free?

"These people." I'm black and gay and I don't always need representation although it is nice when it is available. I have no problem with playing people different than me and have for decades. I also have things further up on my priority in in what gives me enjoyment of a game. Don't speak for people you have little to no experience with and overgeneralize them.

I have fun with many discussions here but for a place that isn't meant to be political, it can't be political enough. I wish some people here would cut the hypocritical bs and just talk about games. I couldn't imagine something like the Backyard Sports games from Humongous Entertainment coming out today. That would be called "woke" too, even though it was enjoyed by many various people.
"These people." I'm black and gay and I don't always need representation although it is nice when it is available. I have no problem with playing people different than me and have for decades. I also have things further up on my priority in in what gives me enjoyment of a game. Don't speak for people you have little to no experience with and overgeneralize them.

I have fun with many discussions here but for a place that isn't meant to be political, it can't be political enough. I wish some people here would cut the hypocritical bs and just talk about games. I couldn't imagine something like the Backyard Sports games from Humongous Entertainment coming out today. That would be called "woke" too, even though it was enjoyed by many various people.
Like I said…….’MANY of these people’…….MANY meaning not all. Don’t speak for people you have not clearly understood and over generalize what they said.

Killjoy-NL

Many just feel it wont survive as a $40 game and think being F2P is its only chance of long term viability

Plus judging by the apparent number of preorders, or lack there of, many feel the same
We also have people who pre-ordered after playing the beta.

Next week will be open beta, so many more people will get to try out the game. No pre-orders or subscriptions needed.

Ozriel

M$FT
But Sony's primary focus is Playstation, not PC.

For GaaS? Not even close. They’ve seen the Helldivers 2 numbers. They need the PC crowd too.

I will choose to disagree.

Now what?

None of us really knows what will happen. We're still more than a month away from launch, the open beta's next week and the marketing cycle with advertisements and whatnot probably won't start for another 3 weeks or so. Knowing SIE, they'll have a hefty marketing push and a lot of folks who haven't even heard of Concord yet will be learning about it for the first time through those ads.

It's got a solid foundation as far as being a shooter goes and has some top notch production values. Add on SIEs marketing strength and it's got as good a chance as any other new IP. I'd like it more if the movement was a bit closer to Destiny while playing Crucible, but it's not so bad as it is. Curious to see how things play out.

The game got a ton of exposure at the Sony showcase. And the beta + twitch stream push is a very significant portion of the marketing. Marketing has definitely started.

We’ll see what happens, but I suspect the open beta will provide the clearest picture.

Using the Steam global top sellers chart, it does seem that the number of preorders has been pretty muted.

Last edited:

vivftp

The game got a ton of exposure at the Sony showcase. And the beta + twitch stream push is a very significant portion of the marketing. Marketing has definitely started.

We’ll see what happens, but I suspect the open beta will provide the clearest picture.

To be clear, I was referring to the general marketing push where there will be commercials, internet ads, billboards... all that hoopla. Sony normally starts that sort of market for their games about 2 weeks out from launch. That's the stage of marketing where the general public gets exposed to the game.

Indeed, things will ramp up towards launch. How steep that ramp will be, we'll see.

Maybe studios should quiz people on what they want to play before developing games.

... wut?

Last edited:
To be clear, I was referring to the general marketing push where there will be commercials, internet ads, billboards... all that hoopla. Sony normally starts that sort of market for their games about 2 weeks out from launch. That's the stage of marketing where the general public gets exposed to the game.

Indeed, things will ramp up towards launch. How steep that ramp will be, we'll see.

... wut?
Get market research? I can’t imagine anyone asked for Concord.

vivftp

Get market research? I can’t imagine anyone asked for Concord.

Do you think these companies don't conduct tons of market research? lol

And games take several years to make. You want the companies to ask folks what they want, begin development based on those results and hope that in 5-6 years that those same folks want that thing? PlayStation has access to more market research than we can imagine, especially as a platform holder. These studios are building the games they want to make but they also help to shape that vision based on the market research they conduct and the copious amount of data at their disposal.

StereoVsn

And games take several years to make. You want the companies to ask folks what they want, begin development based on those results and hope that in 5-6 years that those same folks want that thing? PlayStation has access to more market research than we can imagine, especially as a platform holder. These studios are building the games they want to make but they also help to shape that vision based on the market research they conduct and the copious amount of data at their disposal.
Sometimes that’s true and sometimes you get Suicide Squad.

In case of this game we will know after Open Beta and on launch.

Nydius

It will be F2P within a year, and dead within 2.

I think it’ll be F2P on PC within a year but on PlayStation they’ll always keep it behind the PS+ paywall by adding it as a PS+ Essentials “free” game.

I don’t actually think it’ll be fully dead in 2 years. People still play Anthem after all. F2P and adding it as a PS+ game will probably give it extra life for a while.

Nydius

We already have an example of a SIE published live service game at a similar price point that doesn't contain predatory monetization with Helldivers 2 and Concord seems to be following that same model.

As for your theory about their greed, so they're also greedy for charging for Helldivers 2?

I’m so fucking sick of this disingenuous comparison. Helldivers 2 and Concord are nothing alike. Completely different game styles and the latter has direct competition that has existed for years, is Free to Play and doesn’t require PS+ on console. Helldivers doesn’t really have a competitor. Destiny is closest but even that is a radically different game.

If you can’t understand the difference between the two games and why one has an issue with F2P offerings that have been in the market longer, you need to ask modern science to grow you some brain cells.

Nydius

Next week will be open beta, so many more people will get to try out the game. No pre-orders or subscriptions needed.

Not surprised that your head is so far up Concord’s ass that you continue to miss the point. So let me spell it out for you in a way a 5th grader could understand:

If the game had any kind of interest, there would be a lot more people playing the preorder beta. They wouldn’t be sitting on their hands waiting for an open beta. But people clearly give no shits about this game the way they cared about the launch of Overwatch or Valorant.

But keep repeating your pathetic “it’s not open beta” line like a clown. This game is Sony’s Suicide Squad. Deal with it.

The idea of Sony or its studios doing "market research" is hilarious, when these surveys are cooked to produce the results they wanted beforehand so they are reassured in their warped views. Then, the game bombs and layoff happens.

You don't need a thorough survey to learn that Godfall, Suicide Squad, Foamstarts and many others will be DOA. It just takes to listen to actual players but that's something that many studios don't do nowadays, cos their heads are too deep inside their asses.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not surprised that your head is so far up Concord’s ass that you continue to miss the point. So let me spell it out for you in a way a 5th grader could understand:

If the game had any kind of interest, there would be a lot more people playing the preorder beta. They wouldn’t be sitting on their hands waiting for an open beta. But people clearly give no shits about this game the way they cared about the launch of Overwatch or Valorant.

But keep repeating your pathetic “it’s not open beta” line like a clown. This game is Sony’s Suicide Squad. Deal with it.
Valorant was always F2P. It never had a paid beta.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
bWtUY8s.jpeg

Ooooof, day 2 lost half it's players. This is very unique it's incredibly rare for a game to get less players on a closed beta day 2. Essentially what happens is day 1 you have all the Twitch streamers showing gameplay, this normally leads to more preorders and therefore more players the second day.

It looks like people are instead being warned to stay away, even with them paying people like Jackfrags to make positive videos people haven't bought into it.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

How many big budget flops have we seen over the last few years across movies and games? Corporations are really great at spending insane amounts of time and money to create garbage that nobody wanted.

Neolombax

The thing is, without the DEI stuff the game would be average at best. A decent gameplay with good graphics but a bland art style. That wouldn't be enough to make it fly. The horrendous characters push it over the edge. A game like Spiderman 2 has a lot of woke stuff but it's still very good at what matters to most players.

Concord is an ok game smeared by bad artistic decisions.

Ignoring the DEI content, I actually think the artstyle is pretty great, it has that reto futuristic vibe which I have not seen in fps games at least. Some character designs I admit are horrendous. And I would argue the gameplay is nothing new, it plays extremely well and smooth. To me, a game like The First Descendant is very derivative and cookie cutter in terms of artstyle ( and gameplay too).

Neolombax

Many just feel it wont survive as a $40 game and think being F2P is its only chance of long term viability

Plus judging by the apparent number of preorders, or lack there of, many feel the s

Maybe they should try the Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising strategy. There's a paid version with all characters available and a free version with characters being on rotation.

vivftp

I’m so fucking sick of this disingenuous comparison. Helldivers 2 and Concord are nothing alike. Completely different game styles and the latter has direct competition that has existed for years, is Free to Play and doesn’t require PS+ on console. Helldivers doesn’t really have a competitor. Destiny is closest but even that is a radically different game.

If you can’t understand the difference between the two games and why one has an issue with F2P offerings that have been in the market longer, you need to ask modern science to grow you some brain cells.

And that has nothing at all to do with the subject of whether they are greedy or not. It's moronic to suggest that a company can't ask for an up front price for something that they've worked on for years and spent millions of dollars on. It's an entitled attitude of some folks that they feel they're owed free versions of certain types of games. Also not sure why you edited out pieces of my post as I was talking about all of SIEs live service games there, not only Helldivers 2.

How many big budget flops have we seen over the last few years across movies and games? Corporations are really great at spending insane amounts of time and money to create garbage that nobody wanted.

The person I was responding to was proposing that they should do some market research and I replied that they do tons of market research. I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to get across. No one has a crystal ball to know what's going to be a success and not going to be a success. Companies shoot their shot on what they hope will be a success. Sometimes it succeeds and sometimes it doesn't. That's life.

Folks keep using the phrase "nobody wanted" yet we see folks pre-ordering and enjoying themselves. So obviously SOME people wanted it. We're still more than a month away from release and we have no way of telling just how well this might do at launch or post-launch.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Astro's Playroom
Spider-Man Miles Morales (cross gen)
Demon's Souls (2009 game remake)
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Returnal
The Last of Us Part 1 (2013 game remake)
Horizon Forbidden West + Burning Shores DLC (cross gen)
Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut with the Iki Island expansion (cross gen)
Death Stranding Directors Cut with its added content (cross gen)
God of War Ragnarok & the Valhalla DLC (cross gen)
Gran Turismo 7 & its VR mode (cross gen besides the VR)
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered (rerelease of a 2020 game)
how many games are on this list that you are capable of playing on ONLY the PS5 (excluding PC)

its a tiny amount let me tell you

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
anyways i called this shit, everybody did

Mutual on discord called it lawbreakers 3 and honestly It's so accurate

Ni3xwdF.png

dEq0jfg.png

Killjoy-NL

I guess you miss the point. Lots of people seem to be pleasently surprised by the beta.
We already know they fucked up the reveal, so it can only go up from here.

And I dont care if the game does flop. Already said I'm 50/50 on the beta myself.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

For GaaS? Not even close. They’ve seen the Helldivers 2 numbers. They need the PC crowd too.
Helldivers 2 was an unexpected hit.
Sony has been very clear about their stance on PC:
It's an addition, not the main focus, which will always be their consoles.
Using the Steam global top sellers chart, it does seem that the number of preorders has been pretty muted.
Well yeah, that was expected as they fucked up the reveal.
Same on Playstation, hence why they had to open it up for PS+ as well this past weekend.

But since people got to play the beta, a lot seem to have changed their opinion on the game, even if just slightly.

PC didn't have an open beta yet, so these numbers aren't saying all that much.

At the very least, nobody is expecting this game to be a massive hit. It's going to perform decently at best for however long it might be.

wipeout364

I’ve watched two videos both people said the game is not good. Too slow and does nothing interesting. Level Design is decent. Character design is ugly according to both. Game is DOA In my opinion. Not sure why anyone would play this over what is already available to them.

I agree with the comments that this should be free to play but I honestly have no idea how you would monetize it with such terrible looking characters. Overwatch at least has some good looking characters.

You win some you lose some in the GaaS space.

Concord has an uphill battle, even though I find it to be fairly fun. But the longevity doesn't really seem there based on the beta.

I hope the team can either work on a new IP or maybe be consolidated into Bungie, rather than outright shuttered. They at least have some talented game designers, though the art team needs to be fired.

havoc00

The more I play the less I see this as a 40 dollar purchase, it kinda fits into the destiny 1/2 crucible for me, a good mode but nothing I would go to over COD, Halo or even Xdefiant at the moment, I dont think it has enough to make me want to buy at the moment. I just cant see myself wanting to play a fps and choosing this over what I have already. Not a bad game though just in a weird spot imo. This is also a game where squads will rule and if the player count is low and you are with randoms you may have some long nights

Last edited:
The more I play the less I see this as a 40 dollar purchase, it kinda fits into the destiny 1/2 crucible for me, a good mode but nothing I would go to over COD, Halo or even Xdefiant at the moment, I dont think it has enough to make me want to buy at the moment. I just cant see myself wanting to play a fps and choosing this over what I have already. Not a bad game though just in a weird spot imo. This is also a game where squads will rule and if the player count is low and you are with randoms you may have some long nights

Yeah, there isnt any progression at all

At least Helldivers 2 had tons of stuff to unlock

I would much rather continue playing helldivers 2 over Concord....Concord has some pretty complicated team based interactions if you read the How To guide in the game, but good luck organizing this stuff. I think it's just too complicated, and not enough tangible progression and awards to keep anyone playing for very long. In fact, the beta gave me enough of a taste of the game and I really don't see any need to play it much further. It also sucks that there's significant modes locked out of the beta, and right now only the team deathmatch has respawns.

This game was definitely pushed out prematurely, imho. Everything is solid, but it doesn't have the necessary hooks from a GaaS perspective in my view. I can see playing HD2 for 40+ hours, but I can kind of get my fix of Concord in a weekend....

havoc00

Yeah, there isnt any progression at all

At least Helldivers 2 had tons of stuff to unlock

I would much rather continue playing helldivers 2 over Concord....Concord has some pretty complicated team based interactions if you read the How To guide in the game, but good luck organizing this stuff. I think it's just too complicated, and not enough tangible progression and awards to keep anyone playing for very long. In fact, the beta gave me enough of a taste of the game and I really don't see any need to play it much further. It also sucks that there's significant modes locked out of the beta, and right now only the team deathmatch has respawns.

This game was definitely pushed out prematurely, imho. Everything is solid, but it doesn't have the necessary hooks from a GaaS perspective in my view. I can see playing HD2 for 40+ hours, but I can kind of get my fix of Concord in a weekend....
Yea I really dont know where they go from here You cant delay it now and then get a suicide squad result, and you cant go free 2 play at this point so dunno

Top Bottom