• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord Registers 1100 players on First Day of Open Beta (Steam)

Killjoy-NL

That was the part of my point if the cast is interesting enough people won't care if it's woke.

I played the beta to level 10 so I really gave it some time at least and I never picked one hero because I thought he looked cool or interesting. I tried most of the heroes to check what gameplay I like.
I played until lvl 15 and practically did the same.

Ngl, At first I refused to play characters like Jabali, but it turns out he is one of the characters I like most.
And after a while, I'm not even bothered by the designs anymore. The kits are good enough to make up for it and the game being 1st person helps a lot.
It would've been a bigger issue if it was 3rd person tbh.

Not saying the designs are okay in hindsight, I'm just not bothered anymore.

Fabieter

I played until lvl 15 and practically did the same.

Ngl, At first I refused to play characters like Jabali, but it turns out he is one of the characters I like most.
And after a while, I'm not even bothered by the designs anymore. The kits are good enough to make up for it and the game being 1st person helps a lot.
It would've been a bigger issue if it was 3rd person tbh.

Not saying the designs are okay in hindsight, I'm just not bothered anymore.

It's a preference thing. Take gatcha games for example. I know some people playing alot of like srsly. And they min max their team based on looks of the characters, not the actual kit.

There are people playing fashion souls and fashion hunter because its more important how they look than how efficient their kits are.

I can see how you can still can have fun with it but on the other side its so weird that they made all of those characters and said this is fine, people will for sure cosplay our characters like they dis with all the Overwatch characters.

mrqs

Played a lot actually, it's pretty fun, but still absolutely barebones with uninspired match design. I would love it so much if it was just a bit different. Why is it so generic at its core? Sucks.

Killjoy-NL

It's a preference thing. Take gatcha games for example. I know some people playing alot of like srsly. And they min max their team based on looks of the characters, not the actual kit.

There are people playing fashion souls and fashion hunter because its more important how they look than how efficient their kits are.

I can see how you can still can have fun with it but on the other side its so weird that they made all of those characters and said this is fine, people will for sure cosplay our characters like they dis with all the Overwatch characters.
Not sure what they were thinking with the character designs, but I don't think they really thought it through.

Have to say, I think that for at least half of the cast, different color schemes might already somewhat fix the issue. The color pallette make em look gay.

Last edited:

JCK75

After the trailer I was like.. Meh... Still want to see the gameplay though as a new shooter from Sony could be worth a look and Overwatch lost me long ago and I used to LOVE that game...
All I needed to see what the character roster videos and I'm like... I'm out..... this is DEI the game.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I told you guys months ago, this game will be a flop. If I am not buying a game it always flop, same with concord.
neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF

Joke x

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
After this beta, sony needs to delay this indefinitely. Transition it to f2p, focus on balance, implement basic ass features like deadzone settings, fov slider, aim acceleration/aim curve settings etc. If they still launching this next month at 40 then

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

After this beta, sony needs to delay this indefinitely. Transition it to f2p, focus on balance, implement basic ass features like deadzone settings, fov slider, aim acceleration/aim curve settings etc. If they still launching this next month at 40 then

It's cooked. I don't see anyway back for this game bar a huge rethink but that's not going to happen as presumably there's been a good deal of money sunk into it.

TrebleShot

This is what happens when you cook something for so long it becomes out of date whilst in development.

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the stuff that's been in dev for a long time.

I think it'll do ok, but it won't do helldivers numbers. PvP doesn't have as big of an appeal as PvE.
I'm on the fence about it. Not sure if I'll pick it up.

mdkirby

Yikes, thought I’d have a Quick Look and it’s down to 75 players….i guess the reviewers have played enough to write their reviews

vivftp

Yikes, thought I’d have a Quick Look and it’s down to 75 players….i guess the reviewers have played enough to write their reviews

:pie_diana:

This was a closed beta and it's over. Who in their right mind thinks that reviewers write their reviews based on a closed beta more than a month out from launch?

lol

yurinka

So you feel underrepresented?
Nah, this is not the problem.

I love a ton of games whose protagonist are women, people of other skin colors, cultures or religions etc. Or even animals or weird abstract stuff. But these are games designed to appeal people like me (independently if also designed to appeal people from other demographics). I love games like Street Fighter (and most of its very diverse cast), Bayonetta or Ghost of Tsushima to name just a few.

I know and understand that there are different games targeted to different player demographics (because I worked in dozens of games and also teach people to do so): some target more western countries, some target Asian countries, some target kids, some target older people. Some target more men, some target more women, some target the fans of this or that, etc. It's normal. I don't pretend that all games should be appealing to me or my player type or demographics group, that would be simply stupid.

But these are different things than woke cases like Concord, games where I feel that my demographic group is excluded, hated and insulted on purpose. And in Concord's case, done in a dumb suicide way because my demographic group is basically the one who mostly funds that type of game and without it pretty likely the game would tank hard.

In any case, in my personal specific case, as a player I'm not a FPS fan and even less a fan of PvP only games. So I wasn't going to buy the game anyways because it doesn't have a proper single player campaign. And well, even less after seeing that the game doesn't have characters I like, and seeing that the devs seem to hate the type of people I am and don't want to appeal players like me.

Just because they want to push certain political propaganda from a globalist economical elite who says they want to reduce the population and replace certain values and culture by forcing their religious dogmatic points on a ton of things. I think they should put that propaganda in their ass and let the devs instead to make games appealing to people like me if they want people like me to buy their games.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Just because they want to push certain political propaganda from a globalist economical elite who says they want to reduce the population and replace certain values and culture by forcing their religious dogmatic points on a ton of things.
OT, but it's refreshing seeing someone openly state this around here. Kudos.

xrnzaaas

:pie_diana:

This was a closed beta and it's over. Who in their right mind thinks that reviewers write their reviews based on a closed beta more than a month out from launch?

lol
Most sites fight to have their reviews and other material posted as soon as the embargo is over, even if it wasn't properly tested. You can bet they'll use what they've learned & captured in the closed beta, especially since this wasn't some early version of the game with lot of things still potentially to be changed.

vivftp

Most sites fight to have their reviews and other material posted as soon as the embargo is over, even if it wasn't properly tested. You can bet they'll use what they've learned & captured in the closed beta, especially since this wasn't some early version of the game with lot of things still potentially to be changed.

Keep telling yourself that champ 👍🏾

STARSBarry

Gold Member

As someone who worked in the business way back let me tell you a little secret. Unless they delay the game, it's going to be the same on launch outside of balance tweeks.

The issue is that things like the core design is locked in. For example feedback on the ranked mode is due to the hero lock out on win, it's shit. That's all over the Internet, however they won't change it, launch will be the same with the same weird ass "varient" feature that just adds extra steps for no reason. So you might see things like TTK adjusted slightly, maybe someone will get 5 more rounds in a mag, tanks might get a 10% movement speed buff etc, but beyond that unless it's delayed this is it.

They won't alter it radically because the slow movement and high TTK is what they wanted to set them apart, it's "the vision" of what the game is, similair to halo's deliberate consistant aim vs spray and pray of other shooters, that's what they want. The issue is the rest of the game is designed around making it harder for people to enjoy one character or playstyle, meaning you need to learn to be consiatant with a whole roster of characters, not just a handful.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

meaning you need to learn to be consiatant with a whole roster of characters, not just a handful.
This is not entirely true. While freerunners get locked out after you die in no-respawn modes, you can take multiple copies of your favorite heroes with you, as long as your crew consists of 5 different freerunners.

And you'll always get a couple of fteerunners as back-up, just in case.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This is not entirely true. While freerunners get locked out after you die in no-respawn modes, you can take multiple copies of your favorite heroes with you, as long as your crew consists of 5 different freerunners.

And you'll always get a couple of fteerunners as back-up, just in case.

Which you need to unlock first, and you locked too how many varients are available, which is 3 I believe. Again this is a "why add this restriction?" if you are going to add a convoluted workaround for a problem the devs created, just let people play what they want.

They also due to the buff stacking system enforce the switching of characters throughout the match, it's not well explained but it allows you to snowball through teams who arnt rotating as 5x ranger + 5x warden effectively is stupid powerful. Effectively not playing a different class every round is a detriment to your team.

The game design is just fucking weird.

Killjoy-NL

Which you need to unlock first, and you locked too how many varients are available, which is 3 I believe. Again this is a "why add this restriction?" if you are going to add a convoluted workaround for a problem the devs created, just let people play what they want.

They also due to the buff stacking system enforce the switching of characters throughout the match, it's not well explained but it allows you to snowball through teams who arnt rotating as 5x ranger + 5x warden effectively is stupid powerful. Effectively not playing a different class every round is a detriment to your team.

The game design is just fucking weird.
You don't need to have varients unlocked. You can just have multiple of the same variant. At least during the beta (unless they will limit it upon release?).
Different variants will be beneficial to keep playing with your favorite freerunner(s) while getting different buff.

Afaik that's how the crew-system works. It's just that during the beta there weren't really any different variants available.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You don't need to have varients unlocked. You can just have multiple of the same variant. At least during the beta (unless they will limit it upon release?).
Different variants will be beneficial to keep playing with your favorite freerunner(s) while getting different buff.

Afaik that's how the crew-system works. It's just that during the beta there weren't really any different variants available.

It was on the board, they have rotating challanges to unlock them, Lennox I assume was given out as free to try and let people understand the system.

wZjBIqy.png

Everyone gets the same one so there not randomised.

Killjoy-NL

It was on the board, they have rotating challanges to unlock them, Lennox I assume was given out as free to try and let people understand the system.

wZjBIqy.png

Everyone gets the same one so there not randomised.
Well yeah, you need to unlock them.

But for the crew system it's irrelevant, because you can add multiple of the same freerunner. This allows you to use the same freerunner if one gets blocked after death (no-respawn).
But you will then be stuck with the same buff, unless you unlocked and added a different variant of that specific freerunner.

With only base variants, if you want to make a certain build with specific buffs, you would need to have various freerunners you never really use. But that changes as you unlock more variants for your favorite freerunners.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

It will always launch at $40 to promote PS+ subs.

F2P wouldn't require PS+, that's the only reason it's not F2P. Imagine trying to justify the price with "weekly cutscenes" 😂

Anyway, I actually think the gunplay felt good, but I am not a fan of hero shooters as it is.

GymWolf

Gold Member
We can only hope this colossal flop will end the GAAS bullshit Sony is trying to push
Nah, we need a couple more, helldivers 2 was a success so it balance the probable flop of concord.

But if they have 2-3 failures in a row, they are gonna rethink their strategy (hopefully).

Last edited:
Concord and Fairgames are bound to fail. Depending on the impact, it might convince Sony not to invest on a certain type of GaaS. They already canceled the turd London Studios was working on.

Last edited:
We can only hope this colossal flop will end the GAAS bullshit Sony is trying to push
MLB, Gran Turismo 7, Helldivers 2, etc are showing Sony that live games are a great bet so im not sure how one game failing (if it does fail) will make them consider anything.

Sony themselves (Herman i think) in a previous interview knew the huge probability of many of these to fail. They aren’t dumb.

MLB, Gran Turismo 7, Helldivers 2, etc are showing Sony that live games are a great bet so im not sure how one game failing (if it does fail) will make them consider anything.

Sony themselves (Herman i think) in a previous interview knew the huge probability of many of these to fail. They aren’t dumb.

Making games with a high chance of failure (the definition of wasting millions) is dumb enough.

You don't make 10 GaaS in case one or two succeed. You study thoroughly case by case, check the competition, learn your potential audience tastes and then act accordingly.

MLB, GT7 and Helldivers 2 are aimed at difference audiences/genres, there's space for them. However, if they wanted to make another driving or sports GaaS, that should be thought more carefully.

A game like Concord or Fairgames need to be very special to survive in the current market.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Pretty much.

People keep talking about how they hope Sony has 2 or 3 flops for Gaas, but Sony only needs 2 or 3 successes, or at least enough for steady revenue.

Hypnotoad

It's not only guys. Girls that game like attractive designs, too - and that goes for both genders of player characters. Overwatch is a good example of appealing to a wide audience like that. Or Baldurs Gate 3, my good the swooning over Astarion, Gale AND Shadowheart that I have heard is otherworldly.

But yes, the smart choice is not to go for wide and diverse audiences, but appease the MODERN AUDIENCE, whatever that is.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's not only guys. Girls that game like attractive designs, too - and that goes for both genders of player characters. Overwatch is a good example of appealing to a wide audience like that. Or Baldurs Gate 3, my good the swooning over Astarion, Gale AND Shadowheart that I have heard is otherworldly.

But yes, the smart choice is not to go for wide and diverse audiences, but appease the MODERN AUDIENCE, whatever that is.

This is famously why FF XIV has the highest proportion of female players in an MMO, due to how beautiful you can make the characters and how important the fashion community ingame is.

Top Bottom